PDA

View Full Version : which mobile phone to buy????

Missy D
23rd-September-2007, 12:49 PM
My mobile seems to be dying a death so I need to get another one. What phone have you got and would you recommend I buy one. I dont need anything flashy just one that doesn't keep losing signal and actually allows my text messages to come through the same day. I want to stay on 02 too. I was thinking of buying a Sony Ericsson but would love to see what you all think first.:flower:

Mac
23rd-September-2007, 02:35 PM
Mini Mac had a Sony Erickson until I broke it and it worked very well.:waycool:

It was the third Model she had had. :D

We now have Nokias. My New one is less receptive than the old one! :confused:

Also, Networks are often problematic regardless of the model of phone. T Mobile gets just about everywhere. I moved from 02 due to network coverage problems but that was some time ago. Hope tha helps:flower:

straycat
23rd-September-2007, 03:05 PM
Nokia 6310i (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nokia-6310i-Silver/dp/B00009XLNH/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/026-6220487-2234800?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1190556253&sr=8-1)

Not exactly up-to-date, and very much frill-free, but the best mobile phone I've ever used - wouldn't change mine for the world (or even for a free iPhone)

Brian Doolan
23rd-September-2007, 06:21 PM
I was out on the Glencoe hills the weekend before last, me and my Samsung D600 got soaked; I survived the ordeal but my D600 didn't. I was due an upgrade from Orange anyway so I wasn't bothered until Orange told me the upgrade to a Nokia N95 would cost £249, I thought I'd heard the funniest joke ever but the lassie in the call centre told me she was serious. I tried to tell her I'd been with Orange for over 15 years, she said she could see that on her screen but there was nothing she could do about it.
I'm now with T-Mobile and have an N95 for £45 up-front and a £30 flexT contract giving £180 worth of calls/texts per month and loving it, a SanDisk mini sd card cost me £12 from Amazon and I've downloaded the European Map onto it for its GPS functions, I also like its ability to connect to my wireless LAN.
If you're looking for a top of the range 'phone, IMO, I don't think you'd better an N95. The only thing I don't like about it is its inability to show my own number (I'll Just have to try to remember it!)

StokeBloke
23rd-September-2007, 11:05 PM
Twirlie Bird's just brought me a MDA Vario (http://www.coolsmartphone.com/article479.html) for a treat... what a lucky boy I am. I'll report back when I've had a play with it. Looks way better than my old Nokia though :D

Brian Doolan
23rd-September-2007, 11:18 PM
Twirlie Bird's just brought me a MDA Vario (http://www.coolsmartphone.com/article479.html) for a treat... what a lucky boy I am. I'll report back when I've had a play with it. Looks way better than my old Nokia though :D

But it's not a mobile phone, it's a PDA with a 'phone & camera bolted onto it :rolleyes:

drathzel
23rd-September-2007, 11:35 PM
I always loved nokia but my last phone was a samsung and i hated it. I went to get my upgrade today and went in wanting a nokia. I ended up coming out with a the new sony erickson W580i. It comes in a few different colours, i got the blue. Not that that is the important thing.

Anyway i got home and started playing with it and it is fab i am glad i choose it. It also has sims 2 on it as a game and its really addictive.

Beowulf
24th-September-2007, 10:31 AM
Twirlie Bird's just brought me a MDA Vario (http://www.coolsmartphone.com/article479.html) for a treat..

But it's not a mobile phone, it's a PDA with a 'phone & camera bolted onto it :rolleyes:

it does look good. But this highlights my current problem. I have a great phone (been a die hard Sony Ericsson fan for a while now.. ever since I lost faith in Nokia) and I use a separate PDA (my old and clunky HP IPAQ H5550 with 4gb SD Card)

now upgrading at the moment isn't really an option (Due to financial constraints) but I'm finding it nigh on impossible to buy a straight PDA !! I don't want a PDA with mobile phone!.. I don't want a PDA with camera! I certainly don't want a PDA with GPS !!

I like my technology like I like my Food... I want main course and dessert both very fulfilling, appealing and tasty but kept totally separate ! :rolleyes::D

my advice.. get a Sony Ericsson. I have the K800i and Love it.. great phone !! Not the most up to date model (as Ducasi kept telling me on the last "what phone should I get thread") but it does me a treat

straycat
24th-September-2007, 11:01 AM
now upgrading at the moment isn't really an option (Due to financial constraints) but I'm finding it nigh on impossible to buy a straight PDA !! I don't want a PDA with mobile phone!.. I don't want a PDA with camera! I certainly don't want a PDA with GPS !!
Tapwave Zodiac 2. Best PDA ever made. (IMOFO)

pmjd
24th-September-2007, 11:19 AM
I'll chip in to the buy SonyEricsson of things. I used to have them then tried a couple of nokia phones again, the 6630 and 6680, because they were smartphones that could do a few fancy things. But eventually I got fed up with the size, keypad spacing (as I was starting to send more text messages than I used to), poor battery life & warnings and the general slowness of the phone.

A couple of weeks ago I bought a SonyEricsson K810i (http://www.sonyericsson.com/spg.jsp?cc=SG&lc=en&ver=4000&template=pip1&pid=10804&zone=pp), which is a slightly updated version of Beo's phone (scarily enough when even have the same text message ringtone!). So far I am very happy with it, especially it's predictive text which adapts to you very well (unlike the nokias I had). Great camera and keys are well spaced (for me anyway).

Out of all the phones I've had I say SonyEricsson's were the best. Nokias were alright but a bit lacking lately. Never tried Samsung phones, most folk seem to like them but a friend recently got the U600, which has touch sensitive controls that can be overly sensitive and is driving her a bit mad. Briefly had a Motorola V500 and as far as I'm concerned it was the spawn of Satan, so I sold it fairly quickly and went back to SonyEricsson.

Missy D do you have a particular phone in mind? I got my K810i from Ebay, where it was being sold as an unwanted upgrade, and got it a lot cheaper than buying direct.

Beowulf
24th-September-2007, 11:36 AM
Tapwave Zodiac 2. Best PDA ever made. (IMOFO)

Ah yes.. a few years back I may have agreed with you. Had my Palm OS Tungsten T3.

but alas for the same reasons I'm a die hard Windoze user I'm also a died in the wool Pocket PC user. I develop applications for the Windows platform.. be that Windows desktop or Pocket PC/Windows mobile.

it does look nice though. I'd sell my soul for a Pocket PC that's as friendly as a PalmOS device.. sadly, It's not to be. :tears:

Connie
24th-September-2007, 11:47 AM
I've got a old Nokia 6230i lying around in a drawer somewhere. Got the charger for it somewhere too.

Let me know if anyone wants it

straycat
24th-September-2007, 11:51 AM
it does look nice though. I'd sell my soul for a Pocket PC that's as friendly as a PalmOS device.. sadly, It's not to be. :tears:

I just wish Palm would get their arses in gear and come out with a PDA that can actually compete with what should, by rights, be a three-year-defunct Palm wannabe, rather than the best PalmOS device ever made. Until they (or someone else) succeeds in this, I'm staying happily out-of-date on the PDA front, as well as on the phone front.

Sorry. Getting further off-topic. You could always wait for the iPhone to come out, Missy D (although even I think that one's over-priced)

Further reflections on Why I Like the Nokia 6310i

It's utterly reliable.
It has a lovely keypad that's very easy to use (unlike many mobiles)
It has a ridiculously long battery life
It has no camera, polyphonic ringtones, colour screen or anything else that I never wanted in a phone anyway.
It's extremely robust
Being an old-school Nokia, the interface is very simple and easy to use.
It does have Bluetooth, which means it can talk to my PDA, which means I can handwrite all my text messages. Not that this would matter to most, but I'm odd like that, or so people tell me.

TurboTomato
24th-September-2007, 01:06 PM
I have a Nokia 6300 and would highly recommend it.

ducasi
24th-September-2007, 01:47 PM
As an ex-owner of a few Sony Ericsson phones, and the owner of an incredible all-singing, all-dancing Nokia phone, I'd recommend a Sony Ericsson – probably the K810i, but they have lots of other good ones out at the moment.

Northants Girly
25th-February-2008, 02:43 PM
Has anyone updated their mobile recently?

Thought I'd resurect this thread as my mobile is showing signs of kicking the bucket :sad:

Any recommendations most appreciated

ducasi
25th-February-2008, 02:47 PM
What sorts of features do you want?

DundeeDancer
25th-February-2008, 03:03 PM
Has anyone updated their mobile recently?
Thought I'd resurect this thread as my mobile is showing signs of kicking the bucket :sad:
Any recommendations most appreciated
A friend was showing me his new Nokia 5310 yesterday, it is very slim and sexy :drool:
For only £80 at carphone warehouse if bought with vodaphone airtime I'm very tempted.

Anyone got one of these? My friend said he liked his and has been happily using it for a couple of month now.

martingold
25th-February-2008, 03:56 PM
I recently upgraded my old dead sony ericson (it lasted 13 months till the buttons on it died) the phone shop recommended and gave me the samsung U600 (http://uk.samsungmobile.com/mobile/SGH-U600)which was total rubbish it has touch sensitive buttons i was continually rejecting calls each time i took it out of my pocket
they changed it for the samsung G600 (http://uk.samsungmobile.com/mobile/SGH-G600)which so far has been great and for those that want a camera it has a 5Mp one built in which isnt too bad for a phone camera

Northants Girly
25th-February-2008, 08:44 PM
What sorts of features do you want?Something not too big, decentish camera. Not too bothered about mobile internet etc

oh - and something cheap cos I'm good at loosing phones and having them nicked :)

Minnie M
25th-February-2008, 09:23 PM
........A couple of weeks ago I bought a SonyEricsson K810i (http://www.sonyericsson.com/spg.jsp?cc=SG&lc=en&ver=4000&template=pip1&pid=10804&zone=pp)..............Out of all the phones I've had I say SonyEricsson's were the best........

Something not too big, decentish camera. Not too bothered about mobile internet etc

oh - and something cheap cos I'm good at loosing phones and having them nicked :)

I've just been upgraded to a SonyEricsson K810i - getting used to the touch screen, and not sure about the photo/video stuff - but pleased to know it has been recommened on this thread TWICE

Go for Linda and you can tell me how the 5mega pixies work

Scotch Bonnet
25th-February-2008, 11:52 PM
Used to be a Nokia phone fan until my daughter talked me into getting a Sony Ericsson,have now had several and have been happy with them all.There's a new one due out at the beginning of March,the W980i,due an upgrade then so will probably go for that.
Have a look on their web site,it looks good.8GB internal memory and a good camera.:love::love:

ducasi
26th-February-2008, 12:24 AM
Something not too big, decentish camera. Not too bothered about mobile internet etc

I would go with a Sony Ericsson if I were you, I think. You don't need one of the fancy big numbered ones, though they do have the best cameras...

Think something like the K220i (http://www.sonyericsson.com/cws/products/mobilephones/overview/k220i?cc=gb&lc=en) might be what you're after...

Gav
26th-February-2008, 11:40 AM
I had a Motorola Razr for a very long time because I was happy with it, then I upgraded to a Samsung U600. Reading the specs, it's clear that the Samsung is much better, but I preferred my old Motorola. Much easier to setup/use etc.
BTW, I'm the type that just wants a phone, cameras and stuff are nice, but I don't really give a t0ss.

philsmove
26th-February-2008, 12:00 PM
I am replacing my P990i, an awful "smart phone" that I still can’t use, even after a year

Orange are suggesting an HTC Dual

Coolsmartphone.com - HTC Touch Dual (http://www.coolsmartphone.com/article740.html)

Any one used one of these

My main requirement is something that syncs with MS outlook

Don’t need email but do like touch screen

Sugarfoot
26th-February-2008, 09:45 PM
Just spent a lot of time researching for a new mobile. It really depends on what you want out of it and your budget.

What Mobile magazine is out at the moment and gives reviews and specs on all mobiles. Worth a read.

Also worth checking: Mobile Phones - Compare thousands of Mobile Phones & Mobile Phone Deals with Mobileshop.com (http://www.mobileshop.com) lot of info on all phones.

Good luck:flower:

Northants Girly
27th-February-2008, 10:53 AM
Thanks for the suggestions

another website I've been looking at is Mobile Phones UK (http://www.mobile-phones-uk.org.uk/) - has lots of reviews/phone specs

Still undecided though - favs at moment are Samsung G600, Samsung G900 or K100I

dep
27th-February-2008, 12:15 PM
something that allows mobile telephone calls.

mick s
28th-February-2008, 03:46 PM
Any recommendations most appreciated[/QUOTE]

I gave away my SE V630i which was a mistake as I think it was a great phone, although camera was not fantastic.

I have a N95 which was a gift and on second one now. Camera good but battery life really bad. I will be back with Ericsson next time I think

ducasi
28th-February-2008, 05:51 PM
I have a N95 which was a gift and on second one now. Camera good but battery life really bad. I will be back with Ericsson next time I think
The latest firmware update improved the battery life for my N95. No longer have to charge it every day!

DavidB
28th-February-2008, 07:36 PM
Orange are suggesting an HTC Dual
Coolsmartphone.com - HTC Touch Dual (http://www.coolsmartphone.com/article740.html)
Any one used one of these
My main requirement is something that syncs with MS outlook
Don’t need email but do like touch screen
I'm on my 3rd HTC phone in 4 years. Nothing wrong with the previous ones, but they kept offering me free upgrades. Currently I have the TyTN II, which has 3G/HSDPA (ie very quick internet connection), WiFi & GPS. It syncs with Outlook 2003 at work and 2007 at home without any problems. It has a slide-out querty keyboard and tilting screen which is nice, but I tend to use the stylus on the screen out of habit.

A couple of friends at work have the HTC Touch (not the Touch Dual). One was really happy, the other wasn't. They suggested that models build in Taiwan were far better made than ones build in China.

philsmove
28th-February-2008, 11:55 PM
Outlook 2003 at work and 2007 at home .

I am the other way round :really:

End up with the Touch dual

Very impressed so far, but, at the moment having trouble with the qwerty touch screeen key board, (the side out is numeric)

Big Big problem - it is missing musicality 2

How do I tell if its build in Taiwan or China.

DavidB
29th-February-2008, 12:18 AM
How do I tell if its build in Taiwan or China.It usually says on a sticker behind the battery.

And what is 'musicality 2'?

Beowulf
19th-March-2008, 09:45 PM
I have a Sony Ericsson K800i for the last year and a clunky old HP Ipaq H5550 PDA. I'd like a combination smart phone but do NOT want a symbian phone NOR an iPhone.

Any ideas? or should I just get a new phone AND a new PDA? Am currently on O2

Beowulf
25th-March-2008, 09:08 PM
Any ideas? or should I just get a new phone AND a new PDA? Am currently on O2

Since I was flooded with replies :wink: I did a little digging. I spoke to the guy in the 02 Shop and I think I'm PROBABLY going for the HTC TYTN II (http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/11/08/review_htc_tytn_ii_smartphone/) ... aka the O2 - XDA Stellar (http://www.my-xda.com/devices/xda_stellar.jsp) Unless anyone has any good reasons NOT to?

StokeBloke
26th-March-2008, 01:17 AM
The latest firmware update improved the battery life for my N95. No longer have to charge it every day!
For extended battery life on the N95 8GB you need to make sure that you're not running any apps when you don't need them. They can whir away in the background and they chomp your mA hours :wink:

ducasi
26th-March-2008, 09:14 AM
For extended battery life on the N95 8GB you need to make sure that you're not running any apps when you don't need them. They can whir away in the background and they chomp your mA hours :wink:
That's certainly true – though the easiest apps to leave running – Log & Contacts – aren't likely to cause much of a problem...

Lynn
26th-March-2008, 10:37 AM
Saw this thread - I was thinking of upgrading my phone (a 5 yo Nokia that just did texts and calls which I was happy enough with) when someone gave me their Sony Ericsson K800i (with a 512 memory card) because they were upgrading (to a newer model). :flower: And I really like it, not only do I have lots of new features that I didn't have on my old phone (like music and a camera, which seems to be pretty decent) but its been so easy to use (also v easy to put music on). I'm pleased with it so far. :D

LemonCake
26th-March-2008, 01:46 PM
I'm thinking of upgrading to a Sony Ericsson K770i (purple, of course). Anyone got one? I primarily want it for regular calls & texting with occasional video calling - does it manage the video calls ok? Have read a couple of doubtful reviews and lots of positive ones, but I'm always happiest with a more personal recommendation or not. So if you have one or know of one, I'd be grateful for opinions.

Thanks,
LC :flower:

~*~Saligal~*~
27th-March-2008, 12:03 AM
Thanks for the suggestions

another website I've been looking at is Mobile Phones UK (http://www.mobile-phones-uk.org.uk/) - has lots of reviews/phone specs

Still undecided though - favs at moment are Samsung G600, Samsung G900 or K100I
The samsungs my friends have had have had crappy volume - ie difficulty in hearing the people talking to you. Nokia & Sony Ericsson are better in this regard.
Samsung are cheaper and look funky (some are good copies of the better phones on the market) - so if you're prone to loosing your phone this would be a benefit.
It is possible to get those cords to strap to your phone (the Asian market are into them) so that you don't leave your phone lying around - although they're not really a fashion accessory by any means :sick:.
I like a clam-shell phone - saves me accidentally calling someone when it's in my bag or pocket (I know the others have a keypad option - but I've managed to bypass them too!). Nokia has had some nice ones - so that's what I have. Sony Ericsson's are groovy looking phones (although some of the keypads are disfunctional with the eeny weeny keys) and have the better cameras if you're into that.
My current phone has an mp3 player in it - which is handy. Also it has a memory card so that I can store stuff on it then move it to my computer - also a handy option.

Lynn
31st-March-2008, 02:07 AM
Saw this thread - I was thinking of upgrading my phone (a 5 yo Nokia that just did texts and calls which I was happy enough with) when someone gave me their Sony Ericsson K800i (with a 512 memory card) because they were upgrading (to a newer model). :flower: And I really like it, not only do I have lots of new features that I didn't have on my old phone (like music and a camera, which seems to be pretty decent) but its been so easy to use (also v easy to put music on). I'm pleased with it so far. :DAlso discovered bluetooth (was an easy way to transfer a pic to a friends phone). Would like to connect via bluetooth to my laptop but the bluetooth on/off switch on the laptop itself doesn't seem to work (its beside a wireless on/off switch which does work).

Does this mean I just can't turn bluetooth on on my laptop? :( Any ideas if there is a way to over-ride this? Is there anything else I should be trying on the mobile to get it to work?

DavidY
31st-March-2008, 09:12 AM
Also discovered bluetooth (was an easy way to transfer a pic to a friends phone). Would like to connect via bluetooth to my laptop but the bluetooth on/off switch on the laptop itself doesn't seem to work (its beside a wireless on/off switch which does work).

Does this mean I just can't turn bluetooth on on my laptop? :( Any ideas if there is a way to over-ride this? Is there anything else I should be trying on the mobile to get it to work?Lynn,

I have an Acer laptop, and I seem to remember you might have one too?

My Acer has a Bluetooth switch (next to the wireless switch), but when I switch it, it says "No Bluetooth Device". I think this is because there is indeed no Bluetooth device in the laptop.:rolleyes: They build laptops with the Bluetooth switch, but not all of them have the option with internal Bluetooth gubbins that actually does anything.

If (like me) you don't have Bluetooth internally, you can get little USB plug-in devices with Bluetooth (or Infrared) which aren't too expensive, and which you should be able to use to communicate with your phone.

:hug:

dep
31st-March-2008, 10:24 AM
Is it possible to buy a mobile phone without all the complexity/size/weight/power consumption of these add-ons?
Just a plain phone!

pmjd
31st-March-2008, 11:03 AM
Nokia 1208 (http://www.nokia.co.uk/link?cid=PLAIN_TEXT_183494) should fit the bill for a plain phone

Lynn
31st-March-2008, 02:29 PM
Lynn,

I have an Acer laptop, and I seem to remember you might have one too?

My Acer has a Bluetooth switch (next to the wireless switch), but when I switch it, it says "No Bluetooth Device". I think this is because there is indeed no Bluetooth device in the laptop.:rolleyes: They build laptops with the Bluetooth switch, but not all of them have the option with internal Bluetooth gubbins that actually does anything.

If (like me) you don't have Bluetooth internally, you can get little USB plug-in devices with Bluetooth (or Infrared) which aren't too expensive, and which you should be able to use to communicate with your phone.

:hug:Yes, that's the switch I mean. (You have a good memory! :worthy:)Pretty sure I tried it once when I first got the laptop and the light came on and that isn't happening now so I don't know if its the switch or lack of bluetooth device. Its quite possible it doesn't have bluetooth.

My wireless switch can be pushed forward and it turns on/off then springs back to one side. The bluetooth one is in the middle and doesn't have the same 'springy' feel. Is that how yours is? Just wondering if it the actual switch that is broken (though if it is I'm not sure there is much I could do about it anyway.)

I can plug the phone in via USB and transfer files that way, just though bluetooth would be easier.

Edit - looking at bluetooth devices I'm not seeing any hardware listed so there must be no devices on the laptop. Looks like that is the problem, never mind the switch!

dep
31st-March-2008, 02:41 PM
Nokia 1208 (http://www.nokia.co.uk/link?cid=PLAIN_TEXT_183494) should fit the bill for a plain phoneno.

key features
1.) Access phone features quickly and conveniently with One Touch shortcut keys for SMS messaging, calendar, contacts, loudspeaker, and flashlightand there are 9 further key features.

Just a mobile phone.

Lynn
31st-March-2008, 02:54 PM
Thanks David, I see I can get a USB thing for just over £10. Now need to decide if I am going to use it enough to buy it!

Must say, it was really easy to use Bluetooth to send a pic to a friends phone last night, do people tend to use it as a way of transferring pics and music from pcs to their mobiles?

DavidY
31st-March-2008, 02:56 PM
My wireless switch can be pushed forward and it turns on/off then springs back to one side. The bluetooth one is in the middle and doesn't have the same 'springy' feel. Is that how yours is? Just wondering if it the actual switch that is broken (though if it is I'm not sure there is much I could do about it anyway.)My switch is to the left of my wireless switch, on the front edge of the laptop. If I push it to the left, it says "No Bluetooth Device", and if I push it to the right, it says "No 3G device". My wireless switch also works by pushing it to the left (and it springs back) so it sounds like it may be slightly different. Anyhow it looks like you've determined what the problem is:wink:.

Lynn
31st-March-2008, 03:02 PM
My switch is to the left of my wireless switch, on the front edge of the laptop. If I push it to the left, it says "No Bluetooth Device", and if I push it to the right, it says "No 3G device". My wireless switch also works by pushing it to the left (and it springs back) so it sounds like it may be slightly different. Anyhow it looks like you've determined what the problem is:wink:.Sounds exactly the same. But mine doesn't say anything when I push it in either direction so I think the switch itself may be broken too.

Am loving my new phone. I used to think that I was happy with a phone that just sent texts and made calls but its great having music and camera too!

RedFox
31st-March-2008, 08:38 PM
Must say, it was really easy to use Bluetooth to send a pic to a friends phone last night, do people tend to use it as a way of transferring pics and music from pcs to their mobiles?

Yes - very useful. But do switch off bluetoooth on the phone when it's not in use to save the battery and avoid Bluesnarfing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluesnarfing). :sick:

RedFox
31st-March-2008, 08:43 PM
Since I was flooded with replies :wink: I did a little digging. I spoke to the guy in the 02 Shop and I think I'm PROBABLY going for the HTC TYTN II (http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/11/08/review_htc_tytn_ii_smartphone/) ... aka the O2 - XDA Stellar (http://www.my-xda.com/devices/xda_stellar.jsp) Unless anyone has any good reasons NOT to?

On my wish-list too!

Beowulf
31st-March-2008, 10:48 PM
On my wish-list too!

Well I got it today and VERY nice it is too :drool: However, I cannot get my contacts back off Bluebook onto it which is most irksome :)

But it's purty.. and not as big as I remembered. Large enough to use but not totally unwieldy. I think I probably will need a bluetooth headset soon though You end up leaving a nice ear print on the touch screen when you make or answer a call ;)

Lynn
31st-March-2008, 11:48 PM
Yes - very useful. But do switch off bluetoooth on the phone when it's not in use to save the battery and avoid Bluesnarfing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluesnarfing). :sick:Ta, yes just turned it on to transfer pic and then turned it off again.

frodo
1st-April-2008, 12:35 AM
...If (like me) you don't have Bluetooth internally, you can get little USB plug-in devices with Bluetooth (or Infrared) which aren't too expensive, and which you should be able to use to communicate with your phone.
You can usually buy the internal Bluetooth gubbins needed off Ebay.

If quite a lot of hassle for slower communications than a cable.

RedFox
1st-April-2008, 02:13 AM
Well I got it today [HTC TYTN II ... aka the O2 - XDA Stellar] and VERY nice it is too :drool:

Couldn't find a smilie for 'exceptionally thoroughly jealous' so will have to make to with a few of these... :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears:

Hope it continues to met your expectaions!

Beowulf
1st-April-2008, 02:13 PM
Couldn't find a smilie for 'exceptionally thoroughly jealous' so will have to make to with a few of these... :tears: :tears: :tears:

Hope it continues to met your expectaions!

only one small problem... ear smear :wink: that is ear prints on the touch screen :) I think a bluetooth headset is called for ;)

Lynn
1st-April-2008, 02:49 PM
only one small problem... ear smear :wink: that is ear prints on the touch screen :) I think a bluetooth headset is called for ;)The things that attach to your ear? I'm sure these are a good idea, in practical terms, but have yet to see someone wearing one that doesn't look like something off Startrek. :rolleyes:

Beowulf
1st-April-2008, 06:24 PM
The things that attach to your ear? have yet to see someone wearing one that doesn't look like something off Startrek. :rolleyes:

Do you honestly think that's going to be a problem for me? This is the geek threads area after all :wink:

Lynn
1st-April-2008, 07:54 PM
Do you honestly think that's going to be a problem for me? This is the geek threads area after all :wink:I could even see it being seen as a bonus...

Beo - you said you had a Sony Ericsson K800i at one point. Can I ask a question? In settings I can have 'New Events' either as 'Activity menu' or 'Pop-up'. I like the Pop-up option esp as I have pics for some of my friends and that comes up as well. But it seems as if since turning that option on, my call listing isn't showing up. I only mind about this for missed calls - it will say missed calls but when I go to the calls list there are no new calls listed (since 18th March).

Did me changing the New Events to pop-up turn this off or have I done something else strange and can I have it so that it lists past calls and I can have the pop up option?

TIA

Lynn
9th-April-2008, 12:40 AM
Beo - you said you had a Sony Ericsson K800i at one point. Can I ask a question? In settings I can have 'New Events' either as 'Activity menu' or 'Pop-up'. I like the Pop-up option esp as I have pics for some of my friends and that comes up as well. But it seems as if since turning that option on, my call listing isn't showing up. I only mind about this for missed calls - it will say missed calls but when I go to the calls list there are no new calls listed (since 18th March).
OK - its nothing to do with the 'New Events' settings but it just won't list any calls.

I get a 'Missed calls' message but when I try to view then it - nothing (just has that call from 18th March). Someone called me tonight, left a message (so last number to call me was my message service) and prob assumed their number would be listed but it wasn't.

Help! Any ideas what I might have done to accidentally turn this off and how I can turn it on again?

ducasi
9th-April-2008, 08:00 AM
Help! Any ideas what I might have done to accidentally turn this off and how I can turn it on again?
I had this problem for a while – can't remember what the cause was though! :o

Think it might have been a problem with the SIM card... You should ask your network for help.

Lynn
9th-April-2008, 11:47 AM
I had this problem for a while – can't remember what the cause was though! :o

Think it might have been a problem with the SIM card... You should ask your network for help.It worked fine after I put it in the phone for the first week or so - but I was changing lots of settings and it seems to have been since that. So I thought I'd changed something or other...

1471 still gives me the last number that rang, it just doesn't seem to show any made/recieved or missed calls on the phone itself though it does show me that I have missed calls and how many I have.

pmjd
9th-April-2008, 12:11 PM
It worked fine after I put it in the phone for the first week or so - but I was changing lots of settings and it seems to have been since that. So I thought I'd changed something or other...

1471 still gives me the last number that rang, it just doesn't seem to show any made/recieved or missed calls on the phone itself though it does show me that I have missed calls and how many I have.

Is it missing altogether, even on the call register that you can find on the main menu?

Lynn
9th-April-2008, 12:44 PM
Is it missing altogether, even on the call register that you can find on the main menu?When I get missed calls a pop up tells me I have missed calls but when I then go to view on the call register there are no new missed calls, made calls, received calls etc since 18th March.

I presume I've changed settings somehow on 18th March and am not sure what I have done.

pmjd
9th-April-2008, 12:49 PM
Had a quick check and one suggestion is that the call registers are full, so won't take anymore numbers. Just go to the call register and delete them by going for the All list, pick more and find the delete all option

Lynn
9th-April-2008, 01:12 PM
Ta, have tried that - though there only were about 3 calls listed as I'd only had the phone a few days (given to me by a friend). Worth a try...

pmjd
9th-April-2008, 01:15 PM
If all else fails there is the master reset:sick:

ducasi
9th-April-2008, 01:17 PM
Ta, have tried that - though there only were about 3 calls listed as I'd only had the phone a few days (given to me by a friend). Worth a try...
I'm remembering more...

The problem was with a new SIM I got to do 3G on my new phone. I think it too initially worked and told me the numbers of calls, but after a SIM update from Orange, it stopped working.

I resolved the problem by getting yet another new SIM, this time on a pay-monthly basis, rather than pay-as-you-go.

Is it possible that a SIM update to your phone broke it?

Lynn
9th-April-2008, 01:24 PM
Ta, have tried that - though there only were about 3 calls listed as I'd only had the phone a few days (given to me by a friend). Worth a try...Hmm.. even though only a few calls listed I wonder was there all the calls the person before had in the phone's memory somewhere but not showing? And that have now been cleared?

At any rate, I've cleared all the calls as suggested and then tried ringing it from my land line and it did show up as a missed call! Also tried the other way round and its showing as a dialled call. Yay!

So clearly its not a SIM or settings problem. Though it might mean for some reason it can't remember many calls and I will have to delete calls pretty often - would rather not have to keep clearing it but at least it would mean that I could know who had called when I have it on silent/miss calls. I will see how it goes.

Thanks for your help guys! :hug: