PDA

View Full Version : WCS in Paris with J&T and P&J January 08

Caro
21st-September-2007, 07:10 PM
by popular demand... here are some info about the Paris event on January 11th to 13th.

As previous years, there will be both Jordan and Tat and Parker and Jess. Also Olivier Massart (for those who don't know him, I really value and recommend his teaching) and his partner Henriette. And 2 French couples.

The weekend will consist of 8 hours of classes (at 4 levels from beginners to advanced) and 2 WCS freestyle parties.

The venue is in an industrial area very close to Orly airport. There are 3 different rooms, the floors are ok (not fab).

Parties will be free for all those doing the workshop, but note they will be open to others too. The friday party will be in the middle sized room while the saturday will be in the bigger room.

They have decided to limit the number of participants to 25 couples per level. (so there should be less people than last year).

The price is 130 € if booked before 15th of November, 155€ otherwise. There's a paypal link to pay, and if there's a group going I can negociate a group discount. (I can also do that for the hotel).

A good group of us went last year, see thread and review here (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/land-1000-dances/9909-wsc-week-end-paris-26-27-28-jan.html). Classes were excellent but there were organisational issues (assessments were a mess, little freestyle on friday and way over crowded).

We stayed in a hotel that was fine, quite cheap and at walking distance (about 15 min, but I wouldn't recommend people walking on their own late at night).

Myself I am not sure if I'll go back yet as I was disappointed with the freestyle last year, and I'm doing the cruise a couple of weeks later, but if there's a group going I probably won't resist the temptation very long. :whistle:

So let me know if you guys are interested and I'll try getting discounts for you whether or not I join you.

The website is here (http://www.westcoastswingdancefestival.com/fr/index.php) but still in French for now (it should be translated at some point).
Hope this helps :flower:

TheTramp
22nd-September-2007, 01:48 AM
I think that I'm up for going again. If there's a group going....

FoxyFunkster
22nd-September-2007, 11:35 AM
count me in!:nice:

Alice
23rd-September-2007, 12:55 PM
I'm thinking about it as well:)

Simon
23rd-September-2007, 05:12 PM
I am keen but have just re-read last year's reviews and now have reservations. :sad: I also suspect that a lot of Brits who went last year, said they wouldn't go again but might have been tempted to change their minds are booked up for the cruise, instead, so are definitely not going. (I'm not jealous or anything. :sad: Definitely not jealous. :tears:)

Caro, is there any chance you could contact the organisers to get confirmation if they took on board the feedback from the last one and things will be run better this year? :flower: Also, I'd fly into CDG so is it easy to get to Orly from there?

Caro
23rd-September-2007, 05:28 PM
... the cruise, instead, so are definitely not going. (I'm not jealous or anything. :sad: Definitely not jealous. :tears:)

why are you being so silly then, just come to the cruise :na:

Caro, is there any chance you could contact the organisers to get confirmation if they took on board the feedback from the last one and things will be run better this year?

I have, and yes they have so it should run better. Proof they have taken feedback on board is that parties will be free for those doing the workshops, they will limit numbers per level, and both parties will be 100% WCS. Now I can't guarantee that assessments won't be messy, or that parties won't be very crowded both nights. We'll have to take the risk if we want to know I'm afraid :flower:

Also, I'd fly into CDG so is it easy to get to Orly from there?

It's not difficult. You can get to Orly very easily (either RER or Air France shuttle bus), it takes about 45 min, then from there if you stay at the same hotel we were last time they'll come and pick you up (it's just 5 min away).
They did also drive us to the venue in the evening, that was nice :nice:

I think the taxi fare from CdG to the hotel is less than 80 €, so that's reasonable if there are 4 sharing. (I think that's what most people did last time).

Simon
23rd-September-2007, 08:43 PM
why are you being so silly then, just come to the cruise :na:
Can't as I'll be cruising down the ski slopes in Austria at the time. :waycool: :clap:

Now I can't guarantee that assessments won't be messy, or that parties won't be very crowded both nights. We'll have to take the risk if we want to know I'm afraid :flower:
You going then? Put me down as a definite maybe. :flower:

Caro
23rd-September-2007, 08:57 PM
You going then?

I'll go if you go :na: :innocent:

Rhythm King
24th-September-2007, 08:01 AM
I won't make the cruise this year and am going to SP anyway. I'm interested in Paris, but don't know what my work commitments in January are yet. I'll let you know.

Keith J
24th-September-2007, 12:28 PM
I am reposting with modifications my review of the event, facts not fiction. Be warned that expectations should be lower than that of Camber Pontins with the positives removed and no facilities at the venue.

The venue itself is on an industrial estate which is somewhat dubious.
There is minmial facilites in the venue but a very good shopping mall opposite 5-7 minutes walk across a busy interchange.

Ahhhh we have returned, leaving Paris about 4.30pm we arrived home at about 9.45pm. Pretty good going I reckon.
The weekend well it has some good bits and some not so good bits;
Here's the summary
The hotel was good, functional, friendly, helpful, clean. (We liked Dougal the dog).
The hot chocolate served by the jug was wonderful especially at 2.30am in the morning (plus those sweeties he rustled up)
The walk to the venue short enough but not to scenic but desolate, badly light, and the pavements in a terrible state.

Jordan & Tatiana fantastic, warm friendly as always and highly professional
All the US team was the real up side. They were grateful for the familiar Brit contingent, and also afterwards when we chatted expressed reservations about the event management, venue and organisation. Be warned.
The venue nd event .....hmmmmmmmmm.
Its easy to criticise the event from the top down but I'll try to be balanced.
They obviously had some issues and problems understanding the scale of the event which had gonme from what I was told by the organisers the expectations were 50 - 80 to people attending and it ended with 250 dancers all wanting J & T.
The floors(sufaces) were good
The music was mixed, sound system failed numerous times for short durations.
The 'jive' equivalent is prevalent and the music did seem orientated to that and not what we now assume tis the normal for WCS.

The venue overcrowded and under managed.
It is a gym by day, and they moved a lot of the machines out of the way.

Basically there was nowhere to sit / rest for the numbers of people and no real proper provision for the levels of food & drink those numbers would need. (Sheila waiting 20 minutes for 2 cups of mint tea because the man had 1 tea pot? Whats wrong with a bag in a cup).
No water available easily it was two dodgy dispensors and cups ran out.

The toilets numbered less that 4 total for all the people there, you can imagine the state they were in and no cleaning an maintenance in evidence, yet alone any loo roll.
I guess this underpinned all the management issues.

The management decided to grade people to allow them into the correct class.
The 'assessment' the leveling of dancers was a inappropriate and the numerous appeals seemed to be the name of the game.
Why oh why, where those who cannot cannot perform whips, yet alone triple steps suddenly in level 3?
Level 4 (professional & teachers only) was the only level correctly assessed and we mere mortals, were not even allowed to spectate in the room.
What was that all about?
They actually stopped the teaching removed us from the room.
Equally some of the UK attendees in there did not help the case.
The only thing the management seemed to do was go on obsessive route march checks of the grading armbands & removing people from places they were not meant to be.

The time wasting associated set the precident for weekend. Nothing started on time, nobody seemd to know or care where anything was. The management seemd to shrink into the back room and smoke when the queries started to come up.

The UK contingent complained incessently, quite rightly and they thought we were trouble makers. Its all about perceptions and expectations. It did get quite heated at one point and we did upset the organisers. Regretable, absolutely.

It was definitley on European Maybe Time.
I expect there will be loads of other comments as well, so I will leave it there but personally I shall not be back.

I have suggested to the management come to the UK event so they can see and experience a larger event so they could learn. They were quite positive about the idea.
Meanwhile we put this down to experience and look across the USA for future foreign events.
I note they have made no effort to get in touch and attend a UK event to understand this.

Overall rating - 30% compared with a Southport.
This by the way is no criticism of Caro and her help and organisation. She surpassed all expectations and went the extra mile numerous times to get things resolved, bless her.
She is a star.

TheTramp
24th-September-2007, 12:37 PM
I have to agree with Keith on the points he raised above - at least, the ones that I experienced personally, though I didn't try to order a cup of tea!

The plus sides for me was the teaching during the day, which was the same top class level as you'd expect. And the smaller group companionship thing, with all of us staying in the same hotel. It was nice to get to meet some people away from the usual dance or two, and then move on situation, or the sheer size of weekends like Southport or Camber.

Maybe this year, if they limit the numbers, or are prepared for so many people attending (unless after last year a lot of people don't go), things will improve. I'm prepared to give it one more chance I think. If there's a group of us going from the UK again.

Caro
23rd-October-2007, 12:59 PM
Guys, I heard that there aren't that many spaces left for this, so if you are interested could you let yourself known so that I see if there are enough to get a group together and then get a group discount for everybody ?
cheers

pjfrad
23rd-October-2007, 01:07 PM
Guys, I heard that there aren't that many spaces left for this, so if you are interested could you let yourself known so that I see if there are enough to get a group together and then get a group discount for everybody ?
cheers

Amy and I could be interested, I'll have to check but keep us in mind.

Peter

TheTramp
23rd-October-2007, 05:01 PM
I'm up for it again....

Rhythm King
23rd-October-2007, 08:37 PM
I can't go - I'm working Grrr! :angry:

Caro
13th-December-2007, 09:58 PM
ok just got an email from the organiser, they still have some spaces left for all in levels 1 (beginner) and 4 (very good). Book through their website if interested.

Also to give you a heads up on the sea sun and swing camp (la grande motte, starting 26th july for a week), there will be J&T, P&J and also Ben and Melina. Discounted price if you book before 31st of jan (250 euros for the full week, incl parties). Will post more info on a separate thread when I have more time !