PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE help with translation!!

jensmith
9th-September-2003, 06:02 AM
Hi!! Would a friendly Scot please tell me what it means when one says 'nae tother a baw lass' ??? Help!! Thank you....

Tiggerbabe
9th-September-2003, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by jensmith
'nae tother a baw lass' ??? Help!! Thank you....

:rofl: no bother at all girl :wink: now what was it you wanted to know again? :D :D

Gadget
9th-September-2003, 08:29 AM
I think it's probably a twisting of "Nae bother a-taw lass" which is "no bother at all, lass"

{I assume that you know 'lass' is from the famous "Lassie" of TV fame and he's actually calling you a dawg. :devil: :wink:}

CJ
9th-September-2003, 09:49 AM
Hi!! Would a friendly Scot please tell me what it means when one says 'nae tother a baw lass' ??? Help!! Thank you....

See, chicklet would know more but......

it's my understanding that you've not to "tother" (play with) the "baws", but with the other bit........:D

:blush:

John S
9th-September-2003, 01:17 PM

Actually, you were being called a donkey for putting the ball in the wrong place, ie:

"Nay, to there a ball, ass."

But I prefer CJ's interpretation.

Graham
9th-September-2003, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by Gadget
I think it's probably a twisting of "Nae bother a-taw lass" which is "no bother at all, lass" No probably about it - this transposed version is often used in the west of Scotland.

CJ
16th-September-2003, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Graham
No probably about it - this transposed version is often used in the west of Scotland.

I think you'll find Mr. Pedant that the phrase is spoonered and not transposed.

Graham
16th-September-2003, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Ceroc Jock
I think you'll find Mr. Pedant that the phrase is spoonered and not transposed. Smarse art.