PDA

View Full Version : MSN Live Messenger

Minnie M
14th-September-2007, 04:05 PM
Any geeks not at Southport ????

My MSN forced me to install Live Messenger - either that or nothing ........

However, the connection failed towards the end (might be relevant) and now I can't sign on - its says :

Error code 80048820
Extended error code 80048416
and when I try and 'troubleshoot' it says :

Your gateway appears to be offline

:confused:sorry - I think I know what a gateway is, but how to make it 'online' is beyond me
:tears::tears:

Please someone help me

thanks
:kiss::hug::kiss:

PS: on the positive note, if I can get this thing going, at least I will be able to load my webcam :rolleyes:

DundeeDancer
14th-September-2007, 04:37 PM
I would try to down load it again and re-install.
http://get.live.com/messenger/overview (http://get.live.com/messenger/overview)

Failing that pluf your error messages into google and you'll find some stuff to try.

Good luck with that web cam, it will work one of these days! :rolleyes:

Dreadful Scathe
14th-September-2007, 04:40 PM
you're better off without it - to chat with your MSN logon use meebo.com and if you want to video call, use skype...s0rt3d

Minnie M
14th-September-2007, 04:49 PM
Thanks guys - bit nervous about re-installing - will it mess up anything else and will it over-write what I already have

and will this gateway problem still be there :tears:

you're better off without it - to chat with your MSN logon use meebo.com and if you want to video call, use skype...s0rt3d

Yeah right as if I know what you are talking about :sad:

All my mates & family are on MSN - will this meebo thingy be able to talk to them ? and if how to I install/run it ??

My Jack (birthday boy - reason why I am not in Southport) uses a webcam so I can see & hear my grandsons, will I be able to do that with skype ???

Thank you for taking time out to help me - I am really upset, I can't even see Jack on his birthday (it is today - the party is tomorrow)

DundeeDancer
14th-September-2007, 05:01 PM
Thanks guys - bit nervous about re-installing - will it mess up anything else and will it over-write what I already have
and will this gateway problem still be there :tears:

Re-installing MSN should not effect anything else. I would do it without thinking.

Is the date set correctly on your PC. according to some web forums that can be a problem...don't ask me why?

Minnie M
14th-September-2007, 05:21 PM
Re-installing MSN should not effect anything else. I would do it without thinking.

Is the date set correctly on your PC. according to some web forums that can be a problem...don't ask me why?

Date & time correct - removed installed version then re-installed ........... but still have same error message :tears:

(had a pretty but strange lady talking to me on the screen):eek:

Should I re-boot ??

DundeeDancer
14th-September-2007, 05:36 PM
Thats a pain! Same error message?

The messenger service can be flake at times, your setup might be OK but there servers might be down. Might not be fixed for a few hours.

Can you test on another PC? Otherwise it's problem solving on google or installing another messaging software like D Scrathe said Skype or the like.

If I was you I'd probably fall back to old technology today and give them a phone.

Vegetable
14th-September-2007, 05:53 PM
Your fire walls turned off? and have u added it 2 your pcs allow list?

P.s my msn is learn_to_fly_take_the_leap@hotmail.com :waycool:

Minnie M
14th-September-2007, 06:27 PM
Your fire walls turned off? and have u added it 2 your pcs allow list?

P.s my msn is learn_to_fly_take_the_leap@hotmail.com :waycool:

What a clever Vegetable you are :clap::hug::kiss:

Thank you

Dreadful Scathe
15th-September-2007, 01:15 AM
All my mates & family are on MSN - will this meebo thingy be able to talk to them ? and if how to I install/run it ??

The point is you dont install anything - its a web site that takes the place of MSN and other chat clients. meebo.com (http://www.meebo.com)

Although meebo doesnt do video - skype is far better anyway - proper video calls to as many people at once as you like ;)

Minnie M
15th-September-2007, 09:02 AM
The point is you dont install anything - its a web site that takes the place of MSN and other chat clients. meebo.com (http://meebo.com)

Although meebo doesnt do video - skype is far better anyway - proper video calls to as many people at once as you like ;)

thanks for your help - not sure if I will mess thing up now if I use meebo, but might try out Skype
:hug::kiss: