View Full Version : Camcorders

Stuart M
13th-September-2007, 04:21 PM
Can someone recommend a decent camcorder? My criteria:

Around £300-400
not DV
half-decent picture
OS X compatible

Or should I just wait a bit longer, and see if the new HD models keep dropping in price?

ducasi
13th-September-2007, 04:48 PM
I like my Sanyo (http://www.sanyo.co.uk/scripts/hsrun.exe/Distributed/NF_iFramework_UK/StateId/Rt7NUVAZV6O1LvWrtRHsWf4uZWIZo-3uy3/HAHTpage/HS_ParentProductType2?ProductType=Digital%20Imagin g) which creates MP4 files on an SD card.

Looks like they don't make mine anymore, but it's in the picture at the top of that page on the left.

Well recommended – just make sure to buy a big SD card and a spare battery!

Brian Doolan
13th-September-2007, 04:54 PM
Can someone recommend a decent camcorder? My criteria:
Around £300-400
not DV
half-decent picture
OS X compatibleOr should I just wait a bit longer, and see if the new HD models keep dropping in price?

I use a Sony DCR-SR90 camera which incorporates a 30 Gb Hard Drive (No tapes or DVD), on low resolution setting it will capture about 21 hours of video but I have it set for about 9 hours; without video it will hold 9,999 high resolution images.
Both image and audio/video is excellent as is its A/V output to TV/PC; although I don't use it, it also has very easy to use video editing/burning software. The price of it has now dropped to around £500, a bit higher than you quoted but well worth it if you're looking for quality.

ducasi
13th-September-2007, 10:40 PM
Had a quick look at the Sanyo's prices on Amazon. You can get an HD camera that can take 8GB SDHC cards for under £300. Bargain!

The only issue I have with mine is that it drains the battery in the time it takes to fill a 1GB card at the highest 640x480x30fps quality – which is about an hour's video. So I have a 2GB card, and 2 batteries! Hopefully they've improved battery life in the newer models.

Yliander
13th-September-2007, 11:05 PM
I've got a Canon MV901 - which I'm very pleased with - it's my second canon camera - RoyalMail lost my first one.

Picked up this one cheap - as it was end of line :D

It has wide screen option, firewire port and comes with a bunch of cables for playing direct to TV.

drathzel
14th-September-2007, 10:01 AM
I know panasonic run with os x as thats what i have and use. But think most video cameras will run on it.