PDA

View Full Version : Ideal Dance Venues

DavidY
5th-September-2003, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Chicklet
Haven't seen the accounts so don't know what the balance sheet looks like :wink: but what about Ceroc investing in some property ?
Ceroc could then spec it out as a top class dance venue, take first pick of it's days and nights for classes workshops and parties and hire out the rest to *shock horror* other organisations ???

Ceroc gets the hire out income and we all get to dance in a top class venue!Further to Chicklet's excellent suggestion of Ceroc creating a top-spec dance venue - what would such a venue be like?

What features would your perfect, purpose-built dance venue have?

I can think of a few things it could have:
- a good dance floor
- air conditioning
- car parking
- easy to get to by public transport
- secondary smaller dance areas for workshops and those 'refresher' classes which taxi dancers do for beginners.
- water coolers

.. but there must be loads more...

Dreadful Scathe
5th-September-2003, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by DavidY

Yup. DJ should be in chair on trapdoor that springs open to plummet them to swimming pool (with crocs) below when thrown objects hit the 6 ft red and white target suspended behind the decks.

of course the DJ, to keep it fair, should have the Arc of the Covenent next to decks to open in a weird religious ceromony and send gods lightning wrath at all inconsiderate dancers who don't realise what a difficult job it can be DJ'ing for ungrateful opinionated muppets like them.

Fun fun fun :)

Tiggerbabe
5th-September-2003, 01:08 PM

Very quickly (it's lunch time and I've got to go back soon :tears: :tears: )

more than 2 toilets for the girls and toilet roll in them all (!)
a decent stage so you can see the teachers
good lighting
and a decent shape of dance floor - plus plenty space around it for people who are sitting and their respective luggage
:wink:
separate coffee lounge/bar area for anyone who's hurt/tired (I've heard of these people but never actually seen one - they do exist right?)
showers

Chicklet
5th-September-2003, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
(with crocs)

jelly crocs for sharing, obviously:D

TheTramp
5th-September-2003, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Sheena
separate coffee lounge/bar area for anyone who's hurt/tired (I've heard of these people but never actually seen one - they do exist right?)Ummm...... I just wish that had really been the case Sheena!!! :tears: :tears:

Steve

Gadget
5th-September-2003, 01:48 PM
built in cameras covering the dance floor (normally only turned on for events)
cameras trained on the stage {O'Donahughs has this if I remember correctly.}
projector screens at various points throught the room
large projector screen to cover stage - Virtual teaching :wink:
Video room - small dance studio with a few cameras and ability to watch/record
live web broadcast facilities
Have the lounge area (as per Sheena's sugestion) able to watch over/see the stage and/or dance floor
cloakrooom lockers with shoe-racks
scrolling info bar by the DJ's booth telling the name/artist of the track currently being played
direct floor feedback for volume and balance to the DJ booth
choclolate vending machine

Dreadful Scathe
5th-September-2003, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by Gadget

live web broadcast facilities
choclolate vending machine

web broadcast = extra revenue from people who cant always go but want to pick up some moves at home - good idea.....and Ceroc would make the national press for being innovative too so free advertising...result!

chocolate vending machine....? someone would eat it before it could vend anything :confused:

Lounge Lizard
5th-September-2003, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe

of course the DJ, to keep it fair, should have the Arc of the Covenent next to decks to open in a weird religious ceromony and send gods lightning wrath at all inconsiderate dancers who don't realise what a difficult job it can be DJ'ing for ungrateful opinionated muppets like them.

I recall that in the religious ceremony it is advisable to close your eyes and not look at what is going on.....................I assume that is the point when the Tramp starts dancing directly in front of the DJ booth:D

Air conditioning is ok , big dance floor may be necessary, coffee lounge would be nice, - But what about the continuous supply of Budweiser!:cheers:

Chicklet
5th-September-2003, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Lounge Lizard
- But what about the continuous supply of Budweiser!:cheers:

not till "after" for me thanks!

very fond of a Bud or two, ice cold and straight from the bottle but am happier without it till I've got my dancin shoes OFF!.

IMH experience, this seems to be a prevailing attitude (am I wrong?) round hereabouts - do we have a N / S divide on this question?

C:D

Lounge Lizard
5th-September-2003, 03:03 PM
not till "after" for me thanks!

very fond of a Bud or two, ice cold and straight from the bottle but am happier without it till I've got my dancin shoes OFF!.

IMH experience, this seems to be a prevailing attitude (am I wrong?) round hereabouts - do we have a N / S divide on this question?

C:D

No - not north south divide When the dancing shos come off I often have a two hour drive and when I'm not dancing I need something refreshing between pressing buttons. Two bottles a night max unless it is a weekend event then.........

It was said TIC
p
:cheers:

Bill
5th-September-2003, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by Sheena
Very quickly (it's lunch time and I've got to go back soon :tears: :tears: )

more than 2 toilets for the girls and toilet roll in them all (!)

showers

But I thought you girls always came prepared :eek: ...and wouldn't your own be softer , longer and so much stronger :D

I remember the girls always complained about our first venue at the Palace in Aberdeen where not only was there often no toilet roll but possibly no seats ( for those who don't hover !!) and no locks on the doors. Apart from that, and the sodden carpet, and the smell, and the lack of taps that worked it was a great venue.

and at least we have showers at Marcos.

So where are we building this wonderful venue???????????????

Chicklet
5th-September-2003, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by Bill

So where are we building this wonderful venue???????????????

I've got a FANTASTIC electronics factory in East Kilbride going cheap just shortly!!

Sure there must be Scottish Office grants to rip up ESD and put down wood. Easy motorway access, parking, good A/C, toilet roll for 2 years (OK so we've got an overenthusiastic non-inventory purchasing type!!), sound system / tannoy, canteen, CCTV, security, tables and chairs etc etc.

PM me offers all you francise holders!!

Actually, thinking about it, an 8 year old clean environment building in a central locaton really isn't as wild an idea as it sounds...just needs a little er ..vision??

Bill
5th-September-2003, 04:49 PM
toilet roll for 2 years (OK so we've got an overenthusiastic non-inventory purchasing type

enough toilet roll for women for 2 years..............good grief the building must be packed............... no wonder no-one can get in there :na:

sound system, cameras, tables.....................:rolleyes: :innocent:

and maybe some dancing as well :wink:

Will
5th-September-2003, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Lounge Lizard
I recall that in the religious ceremony it is advisable to close your eyes and not look at what is going on.....................I assume that is the point when the Tramp starts dancing directly in front of the DJ booth:D

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

DavidY
5th-September-2003, 07:18 PM
I've got a FANTASTIC electronics factory in East Kilbride going cheap just shortly!!

Actually, thinking about it, an 8 year old clean environment building in a central locaton really isn't as wild an idea as it sounds...just needs a little er ..vision?? You could sell shares.... How much would each forum member (given there are over 500 of us, although I dunno how many are 'active') need to contribute to buy & kit out such a place?

michael
5th-September-2003, 09:49 PM
In amongst all these great ideas some tiny little item has been forgotten. "It has to be self sustaining" It does not add up financially does it? :sad:

Guess what we need is someone to convince a club/pub to give us space to dance during the week till 2am. and possibly at weekend maybe.

This is "THE PLAN" We all turn up at a selected venue and take over the dance floor whilst mumbling to any available ear about this great dance style taking over the planet. We all get totally drunk!!!! After the third night in a row we send in our "Ceroc secret agent" who vaguely mentions that he has selected YOUR CLUB first old chap and mentions briefly about a three year contract at a favourable price!!!

The publican taken aback by the huge turnout of drunken bums doing knotty style of dancing decides he has nothing to lose and plenty money to gain signs up!!! JOB DONE

Planned throughout the country at suitable locations naturally:D

Me thinks a nice cold bottle of millar would do nicely :nice:

Neil
6th-September-2003, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by michael
We all get totally drunk!!!! I like the way you think. Include me in!

:cheers:

Neil

Lorna
7th-September-2003, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by Will
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You're wicked Will! :wink:

But anyway, he wouldn't dare, not if I were teaching, would you Steve? :hug:

Lotsa love Lorna x-x

Chicklet
8th-September-2003, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by michael
. "It has to be self sustaining" It does not add up financially does it? :sad:

At this point on a Monday morning I really don't know but it has got me thinking. Funnily enough I know quite a lot about the running costs for this building at least and I know that a lot of them are specific to what we try and do here. Let me think about it over the week and run up a little spreadsheet and I'll get back to you. Surely with the number of accountants we've got around here we can MAKE it add up!!:devil: :D

DavidY
8th-September-2003, 10:34 AM
At this point on a Monday morning I really don't know but it has got me thinking. Funnily enough I know quite a lot about the running costs for this building at least and I know that a lot of them are specific to what we try and do here. Let me think about it over the week and run up a little spreadsheet and I'll get back to you. Surely with the number of accountants we've got around here we can MAKE it add up!!:devil: :D
Originally posted by Jon in another thread
So what if ceroc were to purchase property ~snip~.And when Ceroc arn't using it like during the day you could hire it out. I'm going to leave the sums to the accountants - but I reckon that part of the key, as Jon suggests, is to have something that can make money during the day as well...

Originally posted by Gordon J Pownall in yet another thread
The next round of the JIVE MASTERS takes place on 27 July 2003 ~snip~The venue is the David Lloyd Centre, Buckhurst Hill on the Chigwell border.No idea what this venue is like to dance in, but if someone can build a health club and hire it out as a dance venue in its spare time, how about building a dance venue and letting people use bits of it during the day for the sort of things you'd do in a health club?
Some of the features of the ideal dance venue:
Originally posted by various folk cloakrooom lockers with shoe-racks
showers
water coolers ... would work well in a health club, and you could use the dance floor for aerobics classes etc. during the day. You might also put partitions into the dance floor (as long as they don't need runners in the floor) to split into smaller areas.

I'm not sure how: choclolate vending machine
would fit with the healthy crowd, but maybe that could be hidden away during the day :wink:

Bill
8th-September-2003, 04:49 PM
Some of the features of the ideal dance venue: ... would work well in a health club, and you could use the dance floor for aerobics classes etc. during the day. You might also put partitions into the dance floor (as long as they don't need runners in the floor) to split into smaller areas.

Sounds more and more like Marcos in Edinburgh doesn't it !!!!

That's used for Ceroc classes and monthly parties but has apub and a couple of smaller dance rooms downstairs and showers, squash courts, hairdressing salon and tanning booths ( I think ) and a Swedish Massage therapist.

A few minor alterations and it would be perfect - and now the air condtitioning is working it's a great venue! :D

Gadget
9th-September-2003, 01:26 PM
I think that the key to making it commercialy viable would be getting people to use it during the day - evening classes and weekend events should be fairly easy (in comparison) to get functions and events to fill it.

What could the space/building be used for during "day-time" hours? I think that with the audio/visual technology built in, you have the ideal venue for lectures or corporate events - you just need roll out/collapsable seating... Or if they were sunken a bit, a roll out dance floor that could cover the seats...

DavidY
9th-September-2003, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Gadget
What could the space/building be used for during "day-time" hours? I think that with the audio/visual technology built in, you have the ideal venue for lectures or corporate events - you just need roll out/collapsable seating... Or if they were sunken a bit, a roll out dance floor that could cover the seats... I agree that the key is finding a use for daytime, and I had similar thoughts about using technology for lectures, presentations etc.

Not sure about the roll-out dancefloor though- how good a dance floor would you get if it was covering something else? However I guess you could have some sort of collapsible seating that would pull out to give banked seating which got higher towards the back (probably better for a big lectures than a flat floor) and then folded into the back of the room when you want to dance.

Lounge Lizard
9th-September-2003, 06:38 PM
Temporary dance floors don't work in this situation :sad:

For daytime use has anyone considered construct the building in association with a school (private or public sector) they have daytime use, maintain it, provide security etc, heating is via schools own system.

Evening car parking is automatic at schools (playgrounds etc)
May even be government grants available, Joint venture financing is also available in some areas.

Make sure groups like special need get free lessons from ceroc teachers (say) late afternoon this releases possibility for further revenue and dance is a great therapy.

Let the School run the bar and take the proceeds - Bars are often lots of hassle and little profit with dancers.

Jon
9th-September-2003, 06:51 PM
I know a venue which is vacant must have an entertainments license, is big enough to hold 100's of dancers if not 1000's. And is in a central location (if London is the center of the universe), has plenty of car parking and tube next door. It's the DOME!

Lounge Lizard
9th-September-2003, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by Jon
I know a venue which is vacant must have an entertainments license, is big enough to hold 100's of dancers if not 1000's. And is in a central location (if London is the center of the universe), has plenty of car parking and tube next door. It's the DOME!

already looked into it for weekend event
not available, belive it or not

Boomer
9th-September-2003, 11:29 PM
How about any Greek restaurant with a hall? I know there is one on Seven-sisters road (london) and Holloway Road (sorry guys, London again). Picture it, cheap venue, needs the money, late license and kebabs on tap at the end of the night hmmmmmm kebabs....just a thought.

Paul F
10th-September-2003, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Boomer
and kebabs on tap at the end of the night hmmmmmm

let me savour this moment............................Mmmmm!:yum:

Yep that has my vote!

Boomer
10th-September-2003, 10:26 AM
Kebebsa on tap...just woken-up and that still sounds nice....(drifs off into a dream...) Large Chiken kebob, pint of beer (Broadside or Old Bast**d, pint of garlick sauce and loads of salald..sigh...

Little tip for lovers of garlick but haters of the smell, par-boil the garlick for 2 mins before preparing, removes the smell.

Have been ordered to the intro board to officially announce myself.

Any spellink mistakes are mine, due to my wine-addled head (Ernest & Julio GAllo, Merlot, quite nice and not too expensive)

Aleks
10th-September-2003, 11:51 AM
I am surprised that no-one's yet mentioned that the Edinburgh Dance Studio/Hall is (was) on the market last month....where DD's events are held....no idea of price, but it will already have the requisite licences - there are 4 female toilets (OK, they need refurbing!) the top floor is currently residential but there must be the possiblity of conversion to second dance floor and showers.....

I think they have land to the side too, if whoever would consider extending.

Grant
10th-September-2003, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Aleks
there are 4 female toilets (OK, they need refurbing!)
and have you seen the state of the mens, aleks... :wink:
(well your avatar seems to enjoy lurking around the toilets :D )

grant

Boomer
10th-September-2003, 06:53 PM
Just read anther post (about smoking at venues...as a smoker I'm dead set against smoking in the hall...but that's besides the point), and been 'inspired' to a thought. Not sure if this has been tried, but what about 'working-mens clubs? I know there's one in Newington Green (london) that's strapped for cash and has a dance-floor there (they do line-dancing, or so I've heard). Not sure what the venue is like, but it does have a bar and is surrounded by late-night kebab shops.

My main point though is, what about cash-starved W-M clubs?

Dance Demon
10th-September-2003, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by Aleks
I am surprised that no-one's yet mentioned that the Edinburgh Dance Studio/Hall is (was) on the market last month....where DD's events are held....no idea of price, but it will already have the requisite licences - there are 4 female toilets (OK, they need refurbing!) the top floor is currently residential but there must be the possiblity of conversion to second dance floor and showers.....

I think they have land to the side too, if whoever would consider extending.

Westfield has been a great wee venue for years and has a great dance floor. unfortunately. the owners have not spent a lot of money on it in the last year or so, as they knew that it would be going up for sale at some point. Land to the side is currently under offer, and the derelict warehouse unit accross the road is likeley to be up for sale soon too. the whole area has new housing written all over it, and i should think that some mega rich property developer will be odds on favourite to buy it all for this purpose. Shame really, but that's life. Meanwhile Dr Feelgood and me are busy investigating other venues to base Route 66.
Worth mentioning also that the council are always bemoaning the fact that venues like Portobello Town hall, Leith town hall and the assembly rooms are not used enough. Maybe if they looked at their charges with a view to making them a bit more affordable, they would get used more often................... :mad: