PDA

View Full Version : Webcam help please

Minnie M
6th-September-2007, 05:15 PM
I have just bought a cheap webcam with inbuilt mike to chat on MSN, but having problems installing it. The box says: "Works with Skype, MSN and other leading instant messaging Services"

I selected MSN Messenger, but it said "file not found" ????? :tears:

Please help :hug:

PS: I don't have the very latest verson of MSN as I was told it caused probs on installation

DundeeDancer
6th-September-2007, 05:20 PM
Did a install disk not come with your web cam?

Usually you should install the drivers from the disk before plugging in the device otherwise you get the default drivers that sometimes don't work.

MSN always installed OK for me, I'd upgrade that as well, I'm on MSN v8.1.

Good luck! DD.

Minnie M
6th-September-2007, 05:28 PM
Did a install disk not come with your web cam?

Usually you should install the drivers from the disk before plugging in the device otherwise you get the default drivers that sometimes don't work.

MSN always installed OK for me, I'd upgrade that as well, I'm on MSN v8.1.

Good luck! DD.
Thanks DD however.............
Yes I was using the WebCam's installation disc, and following the instructions I haven't yet puggled the WebCam in yet (that was stage 2) - but as I said I am not using the very latest verson of MSN - not sure it that would matter or not

Minnie M
9th-September-2007, 12:29 PM
I have just bought a cheap webcam with inbuilt mike to chat on MSN, but having problems installing it. The box says: "Works with Skype, MSN and other leading instant messaging Services"

I selected MSN Messenger, but it said "file not found" ????? :tears:

Please help :hug:

PS: I don't have the very latest verson of MSN as I was told it caused probs on installation

Please help someone :tears::tears:

bigdjiver
9th-September-2007, 12:46 PM
Please help someone :tears::tears:Is there a manufaturers website address on the box anywhere, or on the installation CD?
Tell us the manufacturer and model number.
You will probably not be the only user with this problem, and help will probably be out there on the net or in the newsgroups somewhere, but we need some clues as to where to look for it.

Minnie M
9th-September-2007, 12:55 PM
Is there a manufaturers website address on the box anywhere, or on the installation CD?
Tell us the manufacturer and model number.
You will probably not be the only user with this problem, and help will probably be out there on the net or in the newsgroups somewhere, but we need some clues as to where to look for it.
Thanks for the reply however, I was more concerned with an answer to this as my son has the same problem with his webcam

"Works with Skype, MSN and other leading instant messaging Services"

I was wondering if when they say MSN they actually mean MSN Live Messenger as it doesn't work with my version

bigdjiver
9th-September-2007, 01:20 PM
Thanks for the reply however, I was more concerned with an answer to this as my son has the same problem with his webcam

"Works with Skype, MSN and other leading instant messaging Services"

I was wondering if when they say MSN they actually mean MSN Live Messenger as it doesn't work with my versionand I was wondering if the manufacturers website had a FAQ with the answer, or someone on the newsgroups did.

bigdjiver
9th-September-2007, 07:06 PM
I tried some searches. Many people report recent problems with webcams and messenger, and I have not seen a solution yet.

This was published recently and may have some useful info.

How to have a video conversation with MSN Messenger (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/windowsmessenger/ballew_video.mspx)

Minnie M
9th-September-2007, 08:42 PM
I tried some searches. Many people report recent problems with webcams and messenger, and I have not seen a solution yet.

This was published recently and may have some useful info.

How to have a video conversation with MSN Messenger (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/windowsmessenger/ballew_video.mspx)

That's brilliant - thanks bigdjiver :hug: will read that properly tomorrow (when I have time and not tired) :cheers:

BTW my webcam is an ADVENT ADE-300N