PDA

View Full Version : Beginning the dance smoothly techniques?

DundeeDancer
5th-September-2007, 01:35 PM
This is a real beginners question which I'm a little embarrassed :blush: to ask but better to be a little embarrassed once and learn what to do right rather than going wrong for longer than necessary. Well that me excuse and I'm sticking to it.

I'll explain what's happening at the moment as it's quite comical. :rofl:

When I take a lady on the dance floor for some freestyle we usually pick a nice space to dance in, the music is already pumping out so my partner usually starts swinging back and forth in time with the music, swinging there hand to the left and right. I usually join in a little to pick up the beat of the music and when I'm ready I signal I'm starting the dance by doing the arc with my leading hand and stepping back.

Quite often instead of my follower stepping back they do another swing or two with there wrist while standing where they were.

In that split second I normally have a little panic :eek: and think I haven't lead the start strong enough, I'll need to step in and go through it again!

While I'm stepping in the follower is usually half way stepping out.

So I then get the strangest look from the follower. :confused:

So the follower steps back in and we try again to start the dance again.

Sometimes I even get a second false start! :o ++

The follower must be thinking, god I have a good one here. :rolleyes:

I just give in with the starting arc thing at this point and take there spare hand and start on the arm-jive to get the momentum of the dance going and after that I'm fine. :nice:

Is it just me having all these false starts? :o

Any hints for making the start of the dance more smooth and easier would be appreciated.

Thanks DD :grin:

Caro
5th-September-2007, 01:42 PM
The easiest thing I can think of at beginners level to make those starts smoother would be to use a double handed move (i.e. you take both the ladies hand before you start dancing), typically an armjive (not that I am a fan...) or an in-and-out. They would both allow you to move the follower when you want it, and have some time to get in tune with the beat before you start the dance with the next move.

Martin
5th-September-2007, 01:56 PM
I take her right hand in my left hand, push out to my left and do a return.

Then you are into it. :kiss:

ducasi
5th-September-2007, 01:59 PM
How to start a dance – the easy and cool way. :cool:

Walk onto the dance floor holding the lady's hand.
Lead the lady where you want to go to dance.
Continue that lead into a turn or spin.
Keep dancing!

How's that sound? :)

DundeeDancer
5th-September-2007, 02:06 PM
Good suggestions so far, will try them all out on Thursday night :clap:

Any more from anyone else?

Beowulf
5th-September-2007, 02:37 PM

Keep dancing!

:yeah:

That's usually what I do.. I tend to only use the "Semi circle" during classes.. I normally (normally? I haven't been dancing in months!) lead them onto the dance floor then lead them into a turn or a spin (or man spin / step across / whatever I feel like) and bingo we're off !!

Gav
5th-September-2007, 02:42 PM
Keep dancing!

That's cool as hell and I saw it suggested before, however, when I tried it 3 of 4 times as I turned the lead into a spin to start the dance, every single lady I tried it with just let their arm flail around their body and looked at me like I was mental.
There's only so much public humiliation I can take so I gave up on that. :blush:
Now I either start with an arm-jive variation :na:, or a return.

Double Trouble
5th-September-2007, 02:44 PM
or a return.

I hate it when you do that, as you always start with a clockwise return and it drives me absolutely flippin mental. Please stop.:flower:

Gav
5th-September-2007, 02:48 PM
I hate it when you do that, as you always start with a clockwise return and it drives me absolutely flippin mental. Please stop.:flower:

So help me & DD out and tell us what you'd rather we did?

(it's anti-clockwise btw :na:)

killingtime
5th-September-2007, 02:51 PM

Keep dancing!

Yeah, I'd suggest the same. I'll often start with a return or a man spin. I might even make the walk itself part of the dance. I don't use the semi-circle thing outside the class (or even in the class often).

As for the question Dundee Dancer, I wouldn't be embarrassed about it, seeing that there is an area that you can improve in your dancing and asking for advice to improve that isn't something to be embarrassed about.

Double Trouble
5th-September-2007, 02:54 PM
(it's anti-clockwise btw :na:)

No it isn't...it's clockwise and that's why I hate it. You just go straight in to it, and it's only that i know its coming that you don't do my shoulder in. I HATE IT....!

Don't ask me to tell you an alternative. You are supposed to be leading me, not t'other way round.

Lynn
5th-September-2007, 02:57 PM
This is a real beginners question which I'm a little embarrassed :blush: to ask but better to be a little embarrassed once and learn what to do right rather than going wrong for longer than necessary. Well that me excuse and I'm sticking to it.Lots of good suggestions from others on the actual techniques, I just wanted to add - don't be embarrassed asking questions like this. This is the perfect place to ask those questions, everyone on here has had to work through these things, we've all been beginners. :flower: And there may be other beginners reading this thread, having the same problems, being too shy to ask anyone and thinking 'I'm so glad they asked that'.

Gav
5th-September-2007, 03:02 PM
Don't ask me to tell you an alternative. You are supposed to be leading me, not t'other way round.

I don't want you to tell me what to do, I just thought there might be a way that other guys start a dance with you that you like and that you could suggest to DD to help him?

David Bailey
5th-September-2007, 03:06 PM
No it isn't...it's clockwise and that's why I hate it.
OK, how do you do a clockwise return then? :confused:

I don't want you to tell me what to do
I believe you Gav :flower:

Double Trouble
5th-September-2007, 03:10 PM
OK, how do you do a clockwise return then? :confused:

Exactly...! It's all arse about face, it's a contradiction and its a pile of crap.

Am I making myself clear yet?:D

tsh
5th-September-2007, 03:13 PM
I have never managed to make the 'semi-circle' work in freestyle. arm-jive worked very well for me to start with, I tend to use a travelling return sort of thing more often now.

Gav
5th-September-2007, 03:15 PM
I take her right hand in my left hand, push out to my left and do a return.

Then you are into it. :kiss:

I tend to use a travelling return sort of thing more often now.

:rolleyes: :worthy:

David Bailey
5th-September-2007, 03:25 PM
Am I making myself clear yet?:D
About normal I'd say.

Chef
5th-September-2007, 03:29 PM
If You know your follower well enough you can start in a side to side position with your right arm around her waist and your right hand on her right hip. Walk with her onto the dance floor in this side by side position (just like the open position of a first move) and when you are ready to start use your right hand on her hip to move her weight onto her left foot and then as your body moves backwards for you to do a rockstep then your hand (moving backwards with your body) will cause her to do a rockstep. Finish the move off as you would do for a first move.

I feel that this would offer the following

1) When you walk onto the floor both of you are walking forwards and so you are less likely to bump into people on the floor

2) It is something different to standing opposite each other and doing the semi circle

3) It doesn't give your follower the opportunity to start the dance by completely ignoring your lead and twisting from side to side (which presumably you are not leading).

4) You can get a feel for the beat of the music by gently pulsing up and down in time with the music and you can feel if your partner is in time with you and the music before you lead the rockstep.

There are many ways of skinning a cat so I just offer the above as an option that you may like to consider.

whitetiger1518
5th-September-2007, 03:32 PM
I'm just wondering, but for the slower tracks (more bluesy) and / or with followers you know well, how about the classic Blues hold? Or maybe a variation of the comb - where you get the follower to trail their hand down your arm into your hand - would that give you both enough time to feel the beat?

If all else fails a cheeky smile and / or laugh never goes amiss... Some of the best dances I reremember time and again are ones where the moves went wrong, but the sense of humour kept going :worthy:

Whitetiger

Franck
5th-September-2007, 03:35 PM
Any hints for making the start of the dance more smooth and easier would be appreciated.False starts are extremely common in the early days so don't get discouraged. Most of the advice above is useful and will help you fix some of the issues.

The first beats before the dance should be used to establish connection with your partner. I'm no big fan of moving the hand from side to side to mark the beat as it masks any attempt at leading and as you found out ends up being counter-productive.
When I teach my Beginners classes I ask both leaders (and followers) not to move their hand from side to side, but to shift their weight from foot to foot. The resulting swaying is sufficient to connect with your partner and share a common beat without being so loud that she won't feel your lead when you initiate the step back.
I appreciate that with a partner who moves your hand so forcibly you might not be given a chance :sad:

Another technique you might want to try is to prep the step back by pulling her towards you. She's more likely to notice the pull and the build up in resistance in your hand connection will help you synchronize your step back. In short, pull before you push! The effect will be magnified if you use both hands, or if you start in a close position (blues hold) and pull her towards you from the hip before the step back.

ducasi
5th-September-2007, 04:51 PM
That's cool as hell and I saw it suggested before, however, when I tried it 3 of 4 times as I turned the lead into a spin to start the dance, every single lady I tried it with just let their arm flail around their body and looked at me like I was mental.
The key is that during the walk onto the floor you need to establish a connection and a lead with a bit of tension in your arm. Your partner should feel the tension and match it.

The walk onto the dance floor effectively becomes part of the dance, like killingtime says...

... I might even make the walk itself part of the dance. ...
:yeah:

It gives you and your partner a chance to connect with each other and with the music, before the dance starts proper.

Gav
5th-September-2007, 04:52 PM
The key is that during the walk onto the floor you need to establish a connection and a lead with a bit of tension in your arm. Your partner should feel the tension and match it.

:rolleyes:

Double Trouble
5th-September-2007, 04:55 PM
:rolleyes:

Go on...blame me for your crap leading. I dare you.

Gav
5th-September-2007, 04:57 PM
Go on...blame me for your crap leading. I dare you.

Seeing as I've never even tried to start a dance with you in that way, it would be pretty outrageous to claim it was your fault.

Gadget
7th-September-2007, 01:21 PM
I don't really differentiate between walking onto the floor and starting to dance: The count and rhythm that most Ceroc is danced to is a 'marching' beat, therefore if I can place a foot on each count while waling onto the dance floor I am already half way towards dancing. The other half is either infront of me (having squeezed passed tables), behind me (having squeezed past people), or by my side. In alll cases they have my hand.

So I'm transferring weight in time with the music, I have the follower's hand and they are in one of four orientations to me that I can find in one beginner move or another... I make the orientation and positioning match exactly* with whatever move's count (when I have found a spot to dance in) and then finish the move and I'm into dancing.

* "exactly" may be pushing the definition, bit it's a preperation to let the follower know that we've stopped walking and they are about to turn/spin/rotate or whatever the move requires. As I get more adept at this, the preperation becomes part of the walk and transition seems seamless.

StokeBloke
7th-September-2007, 01:51 PM
And for Gawd's sake... forget the semi-circle thing. It is just there to confuse you (and your partner)! I'm not sure that there is any just reason to teach it, or to do it. :mad:

Lynn
7th-September-2007, 02:19 PM
And for Gawd's sake... forget the semi-circle thing. It is just there to confuse you (and your partner)! I'm not sure that there is any just reason to teach it, or to do it. :mad:Certainly confused my partner in the beginner class last night! She complained I was leading it wrong because it was supposed to be a semi-circle to the left (LH move) and I was leading it to the right. I gently pointed out to my left was to her right. (I understand, I get confused about L & R at times too!) But she was so focused on the semi circle and getting it right, that she wasn't actually stepping back and was missing the first part of the move.