PDA

View Full Version : Powerpoint

Connie
4th-September-2007, 02:56 PM
I would be ever so grateful if someone could explain to me how I compress a powerpoint presentation.

Dreadful Scathe
4th-September-2007, 03:10 PM
install a zip program - right click on the .ppt file - select "add to archive"

s0rted

David Bailey
4th-September-2007, 03:18 PM
Use less words? :grin:

Seriously, the stuff that makes a preso large will usually be the size of the media (images / sounds / videos / animations) incorporated inside it.

If you can reduce those (for example, by saving a .bmp image as a .jpg image), then re-import them, that should reduce the overall size.

Connie
4th-September-2007, 03:22 PM
Use less words? :grin:

If you can reduce those (for example, by saving a .bmp image as a .jpg image), then re-import them, that should reduce the overall size.

And I do that how? :blush:

David Bailey
4th-September-2007, 03:27 PM
And I do that how? :blush:
Depends. With images, most graphics programs can change the format - even Paint can, I believe. But if they're embedded in powerpoint - just copied from the clipboard - then you'd need to re-take them and save them as a new format.

It's difficult to tell though - can you give some more details?

Another alternative is as DS says, just use a compression program (right-click on the file, and select the compress icon, if you're using Windows XP I think that has this by default). But it may not compress the file very much...

Connie
4th-September-2007, 03:30 PM
The presentation is mostly text and graphs with a few pictures taken from a site on the internet.

However the presentation also contains about 90 seconds of film with audio which is what I suspect is making the file so huge.

Twirly
4th-September-2007, 03:31 PM
Connie, do you have access to Photoshop or some other graphics package? If so, you can open the pictures in Photoshop and reduce the size by going to Image, then selecting Image Size and reducing the dimensions, but make sure you have the three boxes at the bottom ticked to keep all the information. Then re-input them into the presentation.

If you don't want to/can't do this, have you thought about PDFing it? You need to have the writer, which does cost though - if you're at work, chances are someone will have it.

Otherwise, yes, using a zip programme will do the job too, but I'm not geek enough to know how to get one of those - have one automatically at work.

btw - if you can give more info, I do desk top publishing as my job, and know rather a lot about powerpoint for my sins...

killingtime
4th-September-2007, 03:52 PM
If you don't want to/can't do this, have you thought about PDFing it? You need to have the writer, which does cost though - if you're at work, chances are someone will have it.

I know you can embed video in PDF but does writer do it on PP presentations?

Twirly
4th-September-2007, 04:10 PM
I know you can embed video in PDF but does writer do it on PP presentations?

I don't know - but then I hadn't seen Connie's post about video when I wrote mine. I suspect that apart from zipping it then, the answer is that you can't reduce the size.

Connie - why are you trying to reduce the size? Is it to e-mail it? You might have to split the file and reassemble at the other end in that case. I've had to do that before, just with graphics on large docs.

Connie
4th-September-2007, 04:16 PM
Hi Twirly

Yes I need to reduce the size as I can't e-mail it at present.

How do I split it?

killingtime
4th-September-2007, 04:22 PM

How do I split it?

Put the files you want to link into the same folder (just easier this way) and do the usual Insert -> Picture -> From File... and rather that Insert when you select it there should be a triangle and Link To File which creates a link (this is the case with Images anyway).

This was in PowerPoint 2003, other versions may vary.

What that actually does is create a reference to that image rather than actually embed it into the presentation. That means you'll need to send the picture etc as well.

Dreadful Scathe
4th-September-2007, 04:42 PM
if its only emailing thats the issue - use " YouSendIt " (http://yousendit.com) to send it - will send up to 100mb for free or 2gb if you register.

You can of course compress the video with divx easily enough - just go to divx.com for the easy convertor - sorted.

Twirly
4th-September-2007, 04:49 PM
Hi Twirly

How do I split it?

The boys obviously have much more technological answers than me, but...

I suggest that you save the presentation down with a different name. Delete all the slides bar the ones with the video in, as that is going to be the one causing the size problems. See what the size of the file is - if it's still to huge to e-mail, look at the answers the boys have given as that's me stumped!

If it's small enough, then you need to save the file in two halves (or as many pieces as are needed), and then e-mail them individually. (Save it as presenation1.ppt, then delete however many slides, open up the original, save it as preseantation2.ppt, delete slides, etc, just making sure you still keep your complete version as a master). Make sure they are numbered, then the person at the other end can save them down and put them back together again. It's a pain, but possibly quicker than the geeky solutions above if you only need to do this once :nice:

Twirly
5th-September-2007, 03:42 PM
Connie - did you get this sorted?

Connie
5th-September-2007, 04:02 PM
Still working on it. I just dont seem to be able to get the video and audio down to a managable size

I cant cut the video in half, because then it wont work in the other end:angry:

Thanks for all the help though :nice:

Might have to call the ex for his help, but really really dont want to have to do that :(

killingtime
5th-September-2007, 04:07 PM
Still working on it. I just dont seem to be able to get the video and audio down to a managable size

I cant cut the video in half, because then it wont work in the other end:angry:

Was that using DS's suggestion (using DiVX), if so they'll need a DiVX codec to view it.

What sort of sizes are we talking about?

David Bailey
5th-September-2007, 04:29 PM
Possibly a silly question, but why not just bung it on a memory stick and send that over?

Memory sticks are dirt-cheap, they only cost a few quid - e.g. this 2Gb stick for £8.99:
Amazon.co.uk: SanDisk Cruzer Micro 2GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive: Electronics & Photo (http://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Cruzer-Micro-Flash-Drive/dp/B000BRC76C/ref=sr_1_3/026-7913266-6503602?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1189006105&sr=1-3)

Yes, it's clunky, and yes, physical transport takes time, but at least you don't have to waste any more time trying to mess it around.

bigdjiver
5th-September-2007, 04:43 PM
It is probably not the best solution, but there are plenty of free file splitter utilities available for download on the web. Search on 'file splitter'.

It may also be possible to reduce the resolution on the video file and retain sufficient quality. This could shrink the filesize drastically. There used to be some freebies that can do this, but I don't know current situation, or whether there is one than can tackle your file format.

killingtime
5th-September-2007, 04:50 PM
Yes, it's clunky, and yes, physical transport takes time, but at least you don't have to waste any more time trying to mess it around.

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a pickup truck :).

If you have a contact in the place you want to send it to you could use instant messaging to transfer it across. If you have an FTP or HTTP server you could upload it to there and get them to download it.

Connie
5th-September-2007, 04:53 PM
It is probably not the best solution, but there are plenty of free file splitter utilities available for download on the web. Search on 'file splitter'.

It may also be possible to reduce the resolution on the video file and retain sufficient quality. This could shrink the filesize drastically. There used to be some freebies that can do this, but I don't know current situation, or whether there is one than can tackle your file format.

I dont really want to reduce the quality of the video as I have used a significent amount of money to get the video shot in the first place. But thanks for the suggestion

Connie
5th-September-2007, 04:56 PM
Possibly a silly question, but why not just bung it on a memory stick and send that over?

Memory sticks are dirt-cheap, they only cost a few quid - e.g. this 2Gb stick for £8.99:
Amazon.co.uk: SanDisk Cruzer Micro 2GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive: Electronics & Photo (http://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Cruzer-Micro-Flash-Drive/dp/B000BRC76C/ref=sr_1_3/026-7913266-6503602?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1189006105&sr=1-3)

I can't believe I didnt think of putting it on a memory stick. Duh :blush:

I'd offer you a dance as a thank you, but until I am not in danger of stepping on your toes, I'll offer a beer instead.

Now downloaded on memory stick, just waiting for one of the boys from DHL to come and pick it up and send it to Singapore for me. :nice:

Now I wonder if the nice lad in the yummy leathers will come again :drool:Such a delectable bum he has :whistle:

David Franklin
5th-September-2007, 05:12 PM
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a pickup truck :).Particularly in this context, I think you mean "never underestimate the bandwidth of a 747 filled with memory sticks"...

Twirly
5th-September-2007, 05:31 PM
Particularly in this context, I think you mean "never underestimate the bandwidth of a 747 filled with memory sticks"...

If it crashed, would that be a memory dump?

Dreadful Scathe
5th-September-2007, 10:01 PM
I can't believe I didnt think of putting it on a memory stick. Duh :blush:

Well what was wrong with my suggestion to email it via YouSendIt ? surely its not bigger than 2gb ? :)

Beowulf
6th-September-2007, 10:05 AM
If it crashed, would that be a memory dump?

:rolleyes: someone's been around her pet geek too much :wink:

David Bailey
6th-September-2007, 10:36 AM
Well what was wrong with my suggestion to email it via YouSendIt ?
It's too geeky :na: