PDA

View Full Version : Cheap laptops

Missy D
31st-August-2007, 04:36 PM
Gone are the days when the latest Fisher Price toy was a great birthday gift for your child. My daughter is 14 next wed and wants a laptop. Being single mum my budget is somewhat restricted (unless anyone wants to contribute):flower: Or maybe I could sell the cat!! I need a laptop with Wifi, dvd player writer and either XP or Vista. Where shall I start looking?

Lee Bartholomew
31st-August-2007, 04:43 PM
Gone are the days when the latest Fisher Price toy was a great birthday gift for your child. My daughter is 14 next wed and wants a laptop. Being single mum my budget is somewhat restricted (unless anyone wants to contribute):flower: Or maybe I could sell the cat!! I need a laptop with Wifi, dvd player writer and either XP or Vista. Where shall I start looking?

Ebuyer - Cheap Computers, Laptops, Digital Cameras, TVs & more! (http://www.ebuyer.co.uk) is a fairly good bet. Lenovo make good fairly cheap laptops (used to be IBM)

Laptops norm start around the £300 mark. Toshiba Satellite L30-11D Celeron M 440 1.86GHz 512MB 60GB 15.4" Widescreen XGA DVD-SM 11BG Vista Home Basic (http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/129484) might be of interest.

I wouldn't touch Dell or PC world unless they have a really good deal on, and would get some advise from the forum before buying.

Dreadful Scathe
31st-August-2007, 05:03 PM
a laptop at 14 ? she's having a laugh - thats a 21st birthday present that. Give her 14 quid and a slap round the head....in my day I wouldnt have been so cheeky :)

Wes
31st-August-2007, 05:11 PM
a laptop at 14 ? she's having a laugh - thats a 21st birthday present that. Give her 14 quid and a slap round the head....in my day I wouldnt have been so cheeky :)

Excellent response.

Andy McGregor
31st-August-2007, 05:18 PM
As the owner/operator of my own 15 year old I think a laptop is a bit much for them. The problem is that they can use it anywhere and that means their room until silly o'clock. This means that their studies are affected because they spend too much time on youtube and myspace - whatever they are :confused:

My advise is to get a desktop computer and put is somewhere you can control her time on it. And they are much cheaper too.

Missy D
31st-August-2007, 09:01 PM
As the owner/operator of my own 15 year old I think a laptop is a bit much for them. The problem is that they can use it anywhere and that means their room until silly o'clock. This means that their studies are affected because they spend too much time on youtube and myspace - whatever they are :confused:

My advise is to get a desktop computer and put is somewhere you can control her time on it. And they are much cheaper too.

Ah but the router is in my room!! I am incontrol!

She is the only one in her class that has not got her own laptop! seems like hand written projects are no longer accepted in the modern world. the school had a good deal on last year where all laptops could be purchased without vat. Unfortunately, I didnt have the funds at the time.

I do wish I could put MSN and My Space on timer

Thank you for all your reponses.

Lee Bartholomew
31st-August-2007, 09:39 PM

She is the only one in her class that has not got her own laptop! seems like hand written projects are no longer accepted in the modern world. the school had a good deal on last year where all laptops could be purchased without vat. Unfortunately, I didnt have the funds at the time.

Im sure there are programs out there that can do it. Do you have a firewall installed on the router? If so just disable them on there.

There are normally setting for it to be allowed during certain hours of the day.

Dreadful Scathe
31st-August-2007, 11:28 PM

lock down the computer and dont let her use msn - she can use meebo.com instead as you have more control over the web browser.

they don't accept hand written homework ? how on earth are kids meant to learn to write well then ? :)

StokeBloke
31st-August-2007, 11:36 PM
Morgan Computers (http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/) - Brilliant place to get kit from. Been using them for years with no problems.

Lee Bartholomew
31st-August-2007, 11:42 PM
lock down the computer and dont let her use msn - she can use meebo.com instead as you have more control over the web browser.

they don't accept hand written homework ? how on earth are kids meant to learn to write well then ? :)

My handwriting is awful, but then again I have always done homeworks and a majority of school work in my High school years on pc. Nowdays norm have an ipaq in my pocket for writing notes on. !!

Magic Hans
2nd-September-2007, 02:13 AM
And steer clear of vista for at least 12 months or better 2 years.

Unless you really have a compelling specific purpose!!

Dreadful Scathe
2nd-September-2007, 02:18 AM
And steer clear of vista for at least 12 months or better 2 years.

Unless you really have a compelling specific purpose!!
there isnt one :)

Beowulf
3rd-September-2007, 11:28 AM
Nowdays norm have an ipaq in my pocket for writing notes on. !!

Me too.. My "Pocket Brain" as I call it. Lose it.. and I can't think for myself. it's a symbiotic relationship.. although some may say parasitic ;)

If it's not written in my IPAQ or on one of it's databases/calendars etc I can't remember it.

My bio-brain has atrophied :what: :really: :D

Gadget
3rd-September-2007, 01:00 PM
Me too.. My "Pocket Brain" as I call it. Lose it.. and I can't think for myself. it's a symbiotic relationship.. although some may say parasitic ;)
Hmm... which is the parasite/simbiont? :confused::wink:

Beowulf
3rd-September-2007, 01:18 PM
Hmm... which is the parasite/symbiont? :confused::wink:

Let me see... I feed it electricity.. and data.. and give it means to get around.

but then,

it gives me data, and memory and schedules to follow. Reminds me when to send birthday cards..

Without me it can happily live (for a while)... without it I'm lost and can't do anything.

Yup. I'm the parasite :sick: :wink:

(it's even got a bigger memory of dance moves than I do..)

TheTramp
3rd-September-2007, 03:52 PM
She is the only one in her class that has not got her own laptop! seems like hand written projects are no longer accepted in the modern world.

Ummm. And what's wrong with writing projects on a PC? In fact, unless you've moved it, isn't that even in her room anyhow? :na:

And who told you that she is the only one in her class without her own laptop?? Was it her by any chance? I just asked a couple of friends - one with a 16 and a 14 year old, and one who teaches that age range, and they both said that everyone in her class having a laptop seems pretty unlikely! Well, actually, the parent just laughed! :rolleyes:

Beowulf
3rd-September-2007, 04:26 PM
Hmmm
"Aww but Daaaad. EVERYONE in my class gets to school with a Harrier Jump jet"

I have to say getting a laptop for a school kid? it is a little off.. especially for a birthday. An 18th or a 21st perhaps... ... but even then it's pushing things.

You'll get more bang for your buck with a Desktop, it's more upgradale (therefore will last her longer) and it's more "controlable" too.

I mean I know.. I often go to bed early.. then surf the net until the wee small hours with the laptop!

Handy if you're travelling.. but not a school kid going back and forth to school.

Twirly
3rd-September-2007, 04:40 PM
Let me see... I feed it electricity.. and data.. and give it means to get around.

but then,

it gives me data, and memory and schedules to follow. Reminds me when to send birthday cards..

Without me it can happily live (for a while)... without it I'm lost and can't do anything.

Yes - it eats electricity, but then complains of starvation when you actually need it (she says, remembering Beo in Brussels, insisting that "if only" his IPAQ was working, he'd be able to find out where we were... meanwhile I'd walked up to the nearest bus stop and worked out how to get back to the hotel :rolleyes:) :rofl:

Anyway, you've got me now. :love: I seem to be organising your life fairly efficiently :D

frodo
3rd-September-2007, 07:56 PM
Ummm. And what's wrong with writing projects on a PC? In fact, unless you've moved it, isn't that even in her room anyhow? Well someone responsible could go somewhere quiet to work / work in different locations etc.

A laptop used only for word processing so work can be handed in typed, doesn't need to be powerful at all.

Something 6-8 years old with Windows 2000 might be a about right.

So it wouldn't need Wifi / a DVD writer / XP or Vista etc. Just needs to support USB memory sticks for transferring work.

I suspect many of the laptops children do have are the parents hand me downs in any case, rather than brand new.

Missy D
3rd-September-2007, 10:23 PM
Ummm. And what's wrong with writing projects on a PC? In fact, unless you've moved it, isn't that even in her room anyhow? :na:

And who told you that she is the only one in her class without her own laptop?? Was it her by any chance? I just asked a couple of friends - one with a 16 and a 14 year old, and one who teaches that age range, and they both said that everyone in her class having a laptop seems pretty unlikely! Well, actually, the parent just laughed! :rolleyes:

My pc is riddled with trojans etc. We have swapped bedrooms! I now have the big one as I like to entertain:whistle:

The teacher asked us to get laptops and even offered us them last year Vat free too! Apart from the none english speaking kids Amy is one of 5 who hasnt got one. They even take them into school!

I want her to have a laptop that way she can take it to show her dad project who is still in hospital 3 years on. Also I can clean up my pc and spend more time on the forum, Myspace etc.

David Bailey
4th-September-2007, 08:55 AM
The teacher asked us to get laptops and even offered us them last year Vat free too!
Bloody hell :what: I feel a "When I was a lad..." moment coming on, I must be getting old.

That's a bit harsh on people who can't afford laptops innit? :sad: (like, most of us)

I reckon you can probably get a bottom-of-the-range laptop for about £300 - £350, but what about software? That starts to add up...

Looking at SB's links, there's one here for £250 + VAT:
Morgan Computers (http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/Shop/detail.asp?ProductID=4254)

I doubt you'd get much cheaper than that.

Oh, and definitely go for XP not Vista.

Dreadful Scathe
4th-September-2007, 09:35 AM
I'd disagree and say go for Ubuntu. Nothing you can't do on that - and any schools that advocate the use of expensive software such as MS Office, need shot. ;)

There are lots of laptops at the £300 mark, but you would struggle to get a new laptop WITHOUT the dreaded Vista virus. You can try here (http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/topics/topic.aspx/emea/segments/gen/client/en/ubuntu_landing?c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=anavml) of course.

David Bailey
4th-September-2007, 09:41 AM
I'd disagree and say go for Ubuntu.
Ah, you're just a geek. :na:

As for software, I'd always recommend OpenOffice - download here (http://download.openoffice.org/2.2.1/index.html).

Twirly
4th-September-2007, 09:45 AM
The teacher asked us to get laptops and even offered us them last year Vat free too!

Have you talked to the school about whether this is still available? Or if arrangements can be made? They might also have recommendations as to what to get (or not to get).

I do agree with DJ though... these kids, don't know they're born!

David Franklin
4th-September-2007, 11:41 AM
Looking at SB's links, there's one here for £250 + VAT:
Morgan Computers (http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/Shop/detail.asp?ProductID=4254)

I doubt you'd get much cheaper than that.Dell Vostro range starts at £199+VAT (http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/4x_vostro_1000?c=uk&cs=ukbsdt1&l=en&s=bsd) (and that's a new machine, not a refurb).

Unfortunately, Dell are charging £60 for shipping! I don't know if there's any way round that.

Oh, and definitely go for XP not Vista.The XP/Vista thing is getting to be a pain: Dell advertise a lot of models as shipping with a choice of XP / Vista, but then it turns out the high spec ones are all Vista. (I'm looking for a Quad-Core machine and it's looking like I'm going to end up building it myself).

David Bailey
4th-September-2007, 11:47 AM
Unfortunately, Dell are charging £60 for shipping!
60 quid, to ship a laptop? :what: They're having a laugh...

David Franklin
4th-September-2007, 12:28 PM
60 quid, to ship a laptop? :what: They're having a laugh...Ridiculous, isn't it? (Unless I'm missing a shipping option).

Making a large %age of the profit on shipping costs seems to be an increasingly common ploy, however. It pretty much makes it impossible to return the laptop under DSR, for example.

Lynn
4th-September-2007, 01:03 PM
Is Vista really that irritating that people are trying to find places who will sell without it?

I bought my laptop pre Vista, sent off for the free upgrade, but haven't downloaded it so still on XP.

Dreadful Scathe
4th-September-2007, 02:59 PM
Is Vista really that irritating that people are trying to find places who will sell without it?

Oh yes. The thing is - vista gives you some bells and whistles that you can get elsewhere on xp. ObjectDock for example for a mac style icon system, emerge desktop for transparent user defined windows etc.. Vista is bloatware for most people.

I bought my laptop pre Vista, sent off for the free upgrade, but haven't downloaded it so still on XP.

If you want your desktop to look different but run slower...you could install it :) Is there any point though ?

DavidY
8th-March-2008, 07:52 PM
I see that ebuyer are currently selling a laptop with 120Gb disk and 2Gb of memory for £290 (http://www.ebuyer.com/product/139119/), including VAT and delivery. It's a special offer, and it looks like you have to install the extra memory yourself, but it seems like a good price to me.

It has Vista :( , but I think it's getting harder to find a laptop with XP these days.

StokeBloke
8th-March-2008, 07:58 PM
Dell Vostro range starts at £199+VAT (http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/4x_vostro_1000?c=uk&cs=ukbsdt1&l=en&s=bsd) (and that's a new machine, not a refurb).

Unfortunately, Dell are charging £60 for shipping! I don't know if there's any way round that.

The XP/Vista thing is getting to be a pain: Dell advertise a lot of models as shipping with a choice of XP / Vista, but then it turns out the high spec ones are all Vista. (I'm looking for a Quad-Core machine and it's looking like I'm going to end up building it myself).
Morgan Computers have a laptop (http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/Shop/detail.asp?ProductID=4535) this month for £245 including VAT AND Delivery :eek:

Intel Celeron M 350 (1.3GHz) processor, 256MB DDR RAM
40GB hard disk and combo CD-RW/DVD ROM
14.1" TFT colour display (1024 x 768 resolution)
Touchpad pointing device, integrated sound and speaker
4 x USB 2.0 ports, parallel, serial, VGA and PS/2 ports
Internet and e-mail hot keys, Kensington lock security slotSupplied with MS Windows XP Home, Microsoft Works 8.0, NTI CD/DVD Maker and Bullguard Anti-Virus (trial version)
Ditch MS Works, download OpenOffice and AVG Free Antivirus then you're good to go :)

DavidY
9th-March-2008, 12:55 PM
Morgan Computers have a laptop (http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/Shop/detail.asp?ProductID=4535) this month for £245 including VAT AND Delivery :eek:

Intel Celeron M 350 (1.3GHz) processor, 256MB DDR RAM
40GB hard disk and combo CD-RW/DVD ROM
14.1" TFT colour display (1024 x 768 resolution)
Touchpad pointing device, integrated sound and speaker
4 x USB 2.0 ports, parallel, serial, VGA and PS/2 ports
Internet and e-mail hot keys, Kensington lock security slotSupplied with MS Windows XP Home, Microsoft Works 8.0, NTI CD/DVD Maker and Bullguard Anti-Virus (trial version)
Ditch MS Works, download OpenOffice and AVG Free Antivirus then you're good to go :)Yes but 256Mb is going to be slow- even though Windows XP is less memory-hungry than Vista, it does need some.

Better (IMO at least) to spend another £45 with ebuyer to get 2Mb of memory, 120Gb of disk, WiFi and a DVD writer.

StokeBloke
9th-March-2008, 03:26 PM
Yes but 256Mb is going to be slow- even though Windows XP is less memory-hungry than Vista, it does need some.

Better (IMO at least) to spend another £45 with ebuyer to get 2Mb of memory, 120Gb of disk, WiFi and a DVD writer.
True perhaps. But this thread is about CHEAP laptops. I'm sure anyone who has purchased a PC (lap or desktop) has been caught in the "for just £50 more I can..." debate.

Martin
9th-March-2008, 08:09 PM
Have you thought about 2nd hand laptops?

One of the dance companies I know of, have bought a second hand laptop for each of the venues - I was impressed with the spec and very cheap price, coupled with a guarentee.
They were bought from a shop dealing in second hand computers.

Mr Darcy
9th-March-2008, 09:14 PM

I've bought lots of nearly new/refurbished Dell's from here (http://www.mcscom.co.uk/index.php) with no problems at all. His stock changes frequently and you have to add vat to the prices shown though.

philsmove
10th-March-2008, 05:36 PM

might be one going in Pauls soon

BBC NEWS | England | Bristol | Laptop is taken in street robbery (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bristol/7288116.stm)

Gav
10th-March-2008, 06:18 PM

When I got my kids a new desktop each, networked them and got them all on the internet, times spent on them, safety etc were big concerns.
I installed NetNanny on them which allowed me to set the times they could use them, which sites they could/couldn't go on, which programs they could use and so on.

thainmaggiet
10th-March-2008, 07:17 PM
If you subscribe to AOL at the moment you receive a hewlett packard laptop free of charge. My three year old grandaughter has grown out of her Dora one and wants mine for her games!!Eek!!.{

StokeBloke
10th-March-2008, 07:22 PM
If you subscribe to AOL .......
AOL is one of the most appalling service providers it has ever been my misfortune to come across. If you are on AOL I would seriously implore you to look around for a better alternative. I guess this is a whole other thread!

Robin
11th-March-2008, 03:31 PM
Just to throw some more wood on the fire ....

Firstly - even though there's loads of reasons not to have Windows Vista, it is actually reasonably stable. It also has the built in protection stuff you want - I set my nephews up so at 10pm it logs them off. You can restrict programs that they can use, websites they visit and you can log it all .

As far as Dell laptops are concerned, loads of my clients buy them simply because they are reliable. The delivery bit is an issue, but if you keep an eye on their website at the special offers, they do throw in free delivery a lot. I missed a business special the other day - £99 + del & vat fro a base laptop.

Do avoid celeron processors like the plague. Core2Duo is a good standard - even the bottom end ones are reasonably quick.

Lory
11th-March-2008, 04:21 PM
AOL is one of the most appalling service providers it has ever been my misfortune to come across.

I've never had a problem and have always been very happy with it!

straycat
11th-March-2008, 05:21 PM
Firstly - even though there's loads of reasons not to have Windows Vista, it is actually reasonably stable.

I know this is going to sound a bit greedy, but I really want an OS that's rock-solid. 'Reasonably stable' just doesn't cut it for me... :sick:

Lee Bartholomew
11th-March-2008, 05:24 PM
When I had a computer shop a good 50% of the computers that came in with problems was due to AOL software. AVOID.

Robin
12th-March-2008, 02:52 AM
I know this is going to sound a bit greedy, but I really want an OS that's rock-solid. 'Reasonably stable' just doesn't cut it for me... :sick:

ok, well it depends on how techie you are. I've been djing from a vista laptop for the last 6 weeks. Not a fault to be had. Thats pretty stable to me, but then I've "tweaked" my vista install so that its got as many features as windows 98 ! Switching off everything that MS thinks you should have on as default really helps a lot.