PDA

View Full Version : Leading in Tango

Thetruth
24th-August-2007, 02:39 AM
Moved from the "Why is any particular lead technique important?" thread - DavidJames

Well, I was answering in a MJ context, I should have made that clearer. However, what I said applies to Tango too, though as the close embrace creates connection from the chest, it would be impossible to initiate the lead from your arms. As I mentioned the lead will be communicated via the connection points, so if you are holding hands, you have a choice to initiate the lead from the body, or from the arms and done properly, the follower can't tell the difference. In a close hold connection (Tango, blues, etc.) the lead will be communicated body to body, so it would be ridiculous to attempt to initiate the lead from your arms (though I believe many beginner tango dancers who have done other dances such as MJ/Salsa/etc. find it difficult to adjust).

I am sure you are not talking about Tango from experience? My teacher has never mentioned leading from the hands. You do not lead from the arms. Its all about balance. With the follow leaning into you and their balance dependent upon your lead from the chest. Lead with your arms and she will lose her balance. There are numerous exercises to learn how to lead from the chest. Tango is only meant to be lead from the chest. The close connection enhances the ability to lead from the chest, plus it is a sensual dance that is intoxicating. Its about feeling the music. The lead is communicated from the chest, perhaps this is what you mean with the term body to body. But is best explained by stating, "lead from the chest".
Seriously, you should consider not answering questions relating to other dance styles in an MJ context. Other none experienced dance will be mislead and may also cause injury to other dancers if taking up the advice. But I am sure you meant it in good faith................:nice:

Thetruth
28th-August-2007, 01:54 AM
I'm really surprised at your reply to me as I agreed with you in my posts.
Whilst my initial answer widened the concepts to include MJ and other dances (as requested by Timbp), the paragraph you quoted (quoted again below) stresses very clearly that in Tango, the lead is initiated from the chest (or centre) as this is where the connection is focused.

The above is not complete either as many leads in Tango are initiated via leg or foot connection without using any body/chest leads.

You seem very passionate about Tango and I don't know how long you have been learning, but I can't decide if you're an expert or if you're parroting something your teacher taught you without fully understanding it?

My apology for the misunderstanding, yes I am passionate about dancing. I have been taking private lesson (Sorry to those that dislike the mentioning of PL's) for 10months and undertook lessons in a small class environment for 12 months before the PL's. I started learning ceroc in 2001, and moved onto Latin and competed in Dancesport in Australia. In Tango the foot connection, one example, would be a sandwich move (thats what my teacher calls it). If I parrot what my teacher is stating then I am only speaking on behalf of an expert. However, I am talking about what I have learnt. The chest (or centre) is where the lead is started.
I would not gauge at a Milongas (someone posted negative comments) someone's dancing ability as it is dancing in a circular around the dancefloor with everyone travelling in the same direction. This also happens at Latin socials. But when learning it can be like being an old volkswagon surrounded by Ferrari's. But this is all part of learning on the spot and thinking quickly. Eventually it slows in the mind, not like the initial panic of a crook being chased by a big junkyard dog.
Thanks for clarifying.................as I thought you may have misunderstood what you had learnt in Tango by leading from the arms. A follow,when lead by the arms, would not respond if she/he has been trained. Our coach often makes me learn the follows moves, which I find important to understanding what is required of the lead. However, as you clarified (and I initially read it differently than was meant), I now appreciate your reply....Thanks :nice:

robd
29th-August-2007, 01:31 PM
(BTW Tango leads can come from the hands; where the lead wants to isolate themselves from the follower eg otchos.)

A hand lead for ochoes :confused: How soon til David james is here to disagree? The hands would be a point of connection but not the lead IMO (unless you're doing those mad cerocho bastardizations of course)

David Bailey
29th-August-2007, 01:46 PM
A hand lead for ochoes :confused: How soon til David james is here to disagree?
21 minutes. I've been at lunch.

The hands would be a point of connection but not the lead IMO (unless you're doing those mad cerocho bastardizations of course)
Yes. The proof of this, of course, is that it's completely possible to lead all standard AT moves (ochos, giros, and steps) with your hands behind your back. Hand-led ochos are described as "rowing" and looked-upon with disdain by all true tangueros.

Hmmmm, I'm tempted to split the Tango discussion into an "AT leading" thread, but it's a bit tricky to untangle the posts...

Thetruth
30th-August-2007, 04:12 AM
(BTW Tango leads can come from the hands; where the lead wants to isolate themselves from the follower eg otchos

Ocho's I thought were lead from the centre(chest) this is how I was trained to lead them. Like heroes, the temptation is to lead from the arms, when learning, but feels so much more controlled when lead from the centre(chest). Ocho's (Follow moves in a figure of eight) are not like leading a ceroc CJ, (the move can feel similiar) which can be lead from the hands in ceroc. The follow has a better chance of feeling the music when you lead from the centre in Tango. Control and balance aid hugely when lead from the centre.

Thetruth
30th-August-2007, 04:14 AM
21 minutes. I've been at lunch.

Yes. The proof of this, of course, is that it's completely possible to lead all standard AT moves (ochos, giros, and steps) with your hands behind your back. Hand-led ochos are described as "rowing" and looked-upon with disdain by all true tangueros.

Hmmmm, I'm tempted to split the Tango discussion into an "AT leading" thread, but it's a bit tricky to untangle the posts...

Awesome reply!! I have done this with my coach often and it really helps in getting the point, with leading from the centre!! :nice: Wont doubt your ability in Tango again!! My apology for previously doing so......:blush:

MartinHarper
30th-August-2007, 10:30 AM
Awesome reply!! I have done this with my coach often and it really helps in getting the point, with leading from the centre!! :nice: Wont doubt your ability in Tango again!! My apology for previously doing so......:blush:

If you tell me something else your coach says and I parrot it back to you, will you think I'm a great Tango dancer too?

David Bailey
30th-August-2007, 10:43 AM
If you tell me something else your coach says and I parrot it back to you, will you think I'm a great Tango dancer too?
Hey, stop insulting the compliment-giver - :tears: - I could do with more nice things said about me :)

Thetruth
31st-August-2007, 01:17 AM

How the crap else do you learn. A coach is not a parrot nor am I. It is the passing of information from one to another. It is a way of learning. And what's with the great Tango dancer thing? Where have I mentioned it? But keep it coming am enjoying it..............................:what: