PDA

View Full Version : need a buddy in aberdeen

madmoll
30th-August-2003, 03:21 PM
hi, am wanting to go to Peterculter class but know absolutely no one to go with and a little bit shy-ish (thats why thought would try Culter rather than O'Donahues to start with! but if pursuaded??). Is there anyone who has been or is going to give me a bit of info and advice on what to expect.?? thanks. MM :)

TheTramp
31st-August-2003, 03:23 AM
Hiya

It's not really that scary at Peterculter Miss Moll (Can I call you Mad for short?).

Most of the people there are nice and friendly (noticeable exception to this is the guy who's the DJ there). And I'm sure you'll get to know people pretty quickly.

You'll want to get there about 7:15 to get your drink, and get ready for the beginners class at 7:30, where either Lisa or Lorna will take you through 4 beginners moves. Then there will be about 30 minutes of dancing until the intermediate class, and until you're ready to do that, you can join the refresher class run by some experienced dancers.

There's no course in the classes, so you can start as soon as you like (Tuesday?).

And when you get there at 7:15, come and say hello. I'm the bloke on the stage, behind the CD player :D

Steve

madmoll
31st-August-2003, 09:34 AM
what a lovely bit of encouragement, just what I needed, of course I will say hello, yes on Tuesday, thanks.
Mad x
aka Madhappymol. :grin:

Lorna
31st-August-2003, 07:03 PM
Hello,

just to echo what Steve said, no need to worry. Everyone is lovely and very friendly. Please introduce yourself to me - I'm the mad one on stage and I'm sure we'll have a dance later. :nice:

Looking forward to meeting you,

Lotsa love Lorna x-x

Gadget
31st-August-2003, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by madmoll
hi, am wanting to go to Peterculter class but know absolutely no one to go with and a little bit shy-ish (thats why thought would try Culter rather than O'Donahues to start with! but if pursuaded??). Is there anyone who has been or is going to give me a bit of info and advice on what to expect.?? thanks. MM :)
Hello, I've been going to the 'Culter class for a while {:innocent:}, and can definetly say that it's a good atmosphere with good music, good dancers and a good floor.

What to expect; there are generally a few "warm up" tracks played at the start of the evening when the floor is clear - you can watch some of the dancers and get an idea of what to look forward to{:sick: don't let that put you off :wink:}. The class starts in rows of couples {loose term - some ladys learn the man's moves and very, very few are actually "couples"} The partners get rotated throught the class and there is generally a small handfull of first timers, so you won't feel isolated.
The Lorna{/Lisa} will go through four moves and joins them into a routine to dance. After the class there is some "freestyle", followed by some micro-workshops for beginners while the intermediate class is going on. Then there is more freestyle, then they stop the music and kick us out. :sad:

To echo Steve (tramp); each class is different and there is no start/end or progression, so you can start or continue any time without thinking you've missed something.

Come and ask me for a dance (if I don't get a chance to ask you); Most folks know me and can point me out.

Later

Gadget

madmoll
1st-September-2003, 08:08 AM
what welcoming people you all are. Cant wait for tomorrow evening. Thank you. MM xx

TheTramp
1st-September-2003, 08:27 AM
Look forward to seeing you too Miss Moll....

Steve

Paul F
1st-September-2003, 03:09 PM
Just wanted to add that, although i live some way away from the venue this thread is about , reading through these posts brought a big smile to my face.

It is very comforting to know that I am part of such a friendly and sociable 'club' that is ceroc.

This thread is a great advert for the dance and the people that practice it.

Dreadful Scathe
1st-September-2003, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Paul F
It is very comforting to know that I am part of such a friendly and sociable 'club' that is ceroc.

minor thing - but a lot of us dance jive at several types of venue, le roc, route 66, hipsters, boogie nights, blitz etc...

Im not meaning to be pedantic but its dancers in general that are friendly and sociable. motto:'Want to dance, will travel, will help others dance' :D

Now I appear to be the sort of person who denies being something in a post whilst still managing to be the thing i denied :). c'est la vie.

Its quiet today isn't it ? :)

Somebody put the kettle on.

Paul F
1st-September-2003, 05:53 PM
Yeah, i thought i had worded that badly when i posted it.
:blush:

i did , of course, mean dancers in general not just ceroc ones.

madmoll
3rd-September-2003, 07:19 PM
:grin: thank you to everyone, I had a brilliant time, and am hooked!! I may need to alternate Tues/Thurs each week to make sure Im getting the hours of practice and improve, and... which workshop can I get to, ... but hey.. just listen to me after one dose of ceroc!! For anyone else who is a bit shy of going on their own- dont be, it wont last long! (Even got my sister joining up in Oxford.) Again thanks to all, see you soon. MM xx

TheTramp
3rd-September-2003, 07:45 PM
Glad to hear that you enjoyed yourself.

Sorry I didn't get a chance to come talk to you after you said hello at the start. Next time you come along on a Tuesday, come grab me for a dance sometime!!

If you know what you like to dance to, I'll make sure we dance to that track (hey, being the DJ has got to have some perks!!).

Steve

Gadget
4th-September-2003, 08:21 AM
erm... it was one of the busiest nights I've seen at Culter; there were a lot of new faces to dance with, and I'm sorry to say that I didn't introduce myself to many {and even worse, didn't ask anyone's name :sorry}
...So I don't know if I upheld my promise for a dance :confused:
But since you will be returning, I'm sure that we will dance again. :grin:

Lolly
16th-October-2003, 12:17 PM
Hi,

I guess I am in the same situation as Madmoll, I was happy to see her reports in the forum from when she first started to now and how welcoming she found you all, its really comforting.

I am really considering starting so I think I might see you all next thursday.

I'll be the one standing awkardly at the door, pretending to have walked in accidently!

Please be nice I wont bite, well not until I know you well enough!

Lol

TheTramp
16th-October-2003, 12:24 PM
Unfortunately, I can't make it on Thursday (I actually live in Dundee). But I'm sure that you'll have a great time, and if you do ever make it out to Peterculter on a Tuesday night, I'll look forward to meeting you.

Steve

xSalsa_Angelx
16th-October-2003, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by TheTramp
Unfortunately, I can't make it on Thursday (I actually live in Dundee). But I'm sure that you'll have a great time, and if you do ever make it out to Peterculter on a Tuesday night, I'll look forward to meeting you.

Steve

yeah steve, why do you not come along on a thursday now.? did i scare you off..?? Tee Hee

TheTramp
16th-October-2003, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by xSalsa_Angelx
yeah steve, why do you not come along on a thursday now.? did i scare you off..?? Tee Hee More to do with the fact that it's a 140 mile round trip, and I'm a poor student :(

I will come up again sometime - always enjoy dancing in Aberdeen. But not tonight, as I'm DJing in Perth.

See you at the competition this weekend?

Steve

xSalsa_Angelx
16th-October-2003, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by TheTramp
More to do with the fact that it's a 140 mile round trip, and I'm a poor student :(

I will come up again sometime - always enjoy dancing in Aberdeen. But not tonight, as I'm DJing in Perth.

See you at the competition this weekend?

Steve

im not going to that, sorry.

are you going to the Northern Hotel on th 24th October.?

will see you there if you are going.

Lynz

TheTramp
16th-October-2003, 02:18 PM
Was going to be going there - was going to be DJing.

But it was announced on Tuesday that it was cancelled - apparently, the hotel got double booked or something. Don't know if Franck will sort something out when he gets back from holiday on Saturday or not...

Steve

SunnyScotland
8th-November-2003, 01:09 PM
I did not think I was logged in?