PDA

View Full Version : Forum rules on venue reviews?

Connie
23rd-August-2007, 10:32 AM
This would be a question for one of the moderators.

What is the rules regarding posting a review on a Ceroc venue, when the review is not too favorable?

Caro
23rd-August-2007, 10:40 AM

What is the rules regarding posting a review on a Ceroc venue, when the review is not too favorable?

Not a moderator, but hey I'm in the middle of a 6 hours wait in the airport and I'm bored so there goes my understanding of the forum rules.

Based in particular on this:

3. You may not post adverts on the forum. Events & classes can be discussed and links supplied as a reply to a specific request, provided the requests are not artificially manufactured by organisers or friends. Any 'reviews' posted by organisers or crew will also be deemed to be advertising and removed at the discretion of the Ceroc Scotland Forum team.

13. Naming and Shaming of individuals is not permitted. Please use the Ceroc Scotland Forum to discuss actions rather than individuals. Hinting at the identity with descriptions will be treated as naming and shaming and posts will be removed.

In the case of a bad review, apart from the fact that naming and shaming isn't allowed, I'd say that as long as you are not yourself involved in running other venues, and therefore doing it for what could be taken as dissing the competition for commercial purposes, you can be very open and honest.

There's been plenty of bad reviews on the forum, and general criticism towards (some) ceroc venues, and they've always seemed to be allowed as far as I can tell, provided the rules are respected (full forum rules here (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/misc.php?do=cfrules)).

David Bailey
23rd-August-2007, 10:44 AM

There's no problem whatsover with that. For example, see most of my reviews :grin: - or something like one of the Fulham threads (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/social-events/8960-ceroc-fulham.html) :whistle:

I'd suggest that the best place to put individual reviews is the "Feedback on Club nights (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/lets-talk-about-dance/6574-feedback-club-nights.html)" thread - but it's up to you.

As Caro said, "naming and shaming" - i.e. personal attacks on particular individuals - is not allowed, but apart from that, rants are fine :)

Connie
23rd-August-2007, 10:54 AM
Thanks for the replies guys, will write a review now and stick it on. Was NOT impressed yesterday with Ceroc London Wimbledon venue :angry:

Just wanted to check the rules, in view of some of heated posts over the last few days.

Lee Bartholomew
23rd-August-2007, 10:55 AM
But be warned when writing bad reviews, the place your writing about might read it or, as what happened to me once, an organisation might think your writing about them.

Connie
23rd-August-2007, 11:00 AM
But be warned when writing bad reviews, the place your writing about might read it.

I have no problem if the venue concerned reads my review, as I wouldnt write a review unless it was an honest and reflective description of my experience. But thanks for the warning :nice:

or, as what happened to me once, an organisation might think your writing about them.

Ehm not sure what you are implying :sick:

Lee Bartholomew
23rd-August-2007, 11:04 AM
I have no problem if the venue concerned reads my review, as I wouldnt write a review unless it was an honest and reflective description of my experience. But thanks for the warning :nice:

I wrote about a teacher based down Hastings way saying about his bad teaching of drops etc

I turned up at a venue near bath a few days later for the venue manager there to tell me he was sueing me as he thought I had written it about him !!!! :confused:

Caro
23rd-August-2007, 11:06 AM

well, you're posting style is hardly comparable to Woodie's - sorry Lee's - so I wouldn't worry too much ...

Just remember that the people who run the venue might read your post, and might feel upset about it, especially if they are passionate about what they do. Doesn't mean you have to water it down though, as long as it's honest and put accross in a reasonably sensible way (i.e. avoid posting that sort of stuff when you're really really angry... unless you want to provide us another popcorn moment, which from a lurker's point of view, is far more entertaining :devil: ).

David Bailey
23rd-August-2007, 11:17 AM
Just remember that the people who run the venue might read your post, and might feel upset about it, especially if they are passionate about what they do. Doesn't mean you have to water it down though, as long as it's honest and put accross in a reasonably sensible way (i.e. avoid posting that sort of stuff when you're really really angry...

:yeah: In short - it's the Internet, anyone can read it. Same rules as for posting your opinions anywhere online, basically.

The reviews I find most useful are the balanced ones, which give objective details and information. It's always useful to try to find something nice to say. And sometimes those ones are the best:

A classic example of this is:

I went with Twirlie Bird to Utopia Derby last night. The opening night was the ultra-high Rocky/SF standard we have come to love and expect :respect: I knew that this one would not be able to live up to the first one. I was going to put a full and frank description of my thoughts about last night... however I have decided to only comment on the positive stuff. So here goes:

There was ample car parking.
:rofl:

Twirly
23rd-August-2007, 11:32 AM
Connie - I posted this (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/lets-talk-about-dance/13637-ceroc-london-information.html) recently, knowing full well that someone I know through the forum who works for Ceroc London was likely to read it, but also in a position to do something about it.

I was very angry when I wrote it (but hope that it was still well written). I got a good response from the person concered - and a very bit :hug: and profuse apology when I saw him at Clapham last night :D

I wrote what I did to highlight the problem, in the hope that something could be done about it, and I believe that it now is, though I don't know if it would have happened anyway.

I'd suggest that you try to be constructive though - just saying "I had a crap time" won't help the venue to improve, should someone read it. Mind you, if they read about your revenge on the hot-shot, they are probably quaking in their boots now! :what:

Paul F
23rd-August-2007, 12:04 PM
I have been known to post a review or two. :nice:

What I would say is try to give a balanced view. No problem if you want to bestow some gushing praise on an event but a totally 'luvvy' review doesnt really help anyone.
I have been pretty vociferous about criticism of venues or events in the past but I try my best to balance out any positive or negative feedback with points to the contrary.

Dreadful Scathe
23rd-August-2007, 12:04 PM
I was very angry when I wrote it (but hope that it was still well written). I got a good response from the person concered - and a very bit :hug: and profuse apology when I saw him at Clapham last night :D

Thats the point of constructive complaining, to get a good solution. All respect to the venue for taking on board your points without going into a strop over ANY criticism, as some do. I think its only right you "name and shame" the good guys ;) To measure of any business is how they respond to complaints and criticism, and some don't do it well at all, even going so far as to blame their customers for their own failings.

I
I turned up at a venue near bath a few days later for the venue manager there to tell me he was sueing me as he thought I had written it about him !!!! :confused:

If he thought that, then HE must feel his teaching of drops is bad. He should sue himself really ;)

Connie
23rd-August-2007, 12:19 PM
Review written, and I have tried my best to write it as objectively and fairly as possible.

Twirly
23rd-August-2007, 12:22 PM
Thats the point of constructive complaining, to get a good solution. All respect to the venue for taking on board your points without going into a strop over ANY criticism, as some do. I think its only right you "name and shame" the good guys ;) To measure of any business is how they respond to complaints and criticism, and some don't do it well at all, even going so far as to blame their customers for their own failings.

Exactly why I did it. I figured that I probably wasn't the only one whom it was annoying, and the lack of info was potentially damaging to the business. Someone has to let them know!

Lory
23rd-August-2007, 01:09 PM
The reviews I find most useful are the balanced ones, which give objective details and information.
:yeah:

I'd suggest that you try to be constructive though - just saying "I had a crap time" won't help the venue to improve, should someone read it.

:yeah: too!

And also, as DS said, total :respect: to the venue who read your review, took what you said onboard and reacted in such a positive manor! People/Venues get things wrong all the time but its the ones who listen to the feedback, positive and negative, who will earn the respect and loyalty of their customers! :worthy:

Also, if a teacher or commercial operator reads a criticism about an event they were involved in on here, it provides them a great opportunity to explain what happened, apologise or put their POV across. :yeah: If one person wrote about it, maybe a whole bunch were unhappy but didn't say anything and next time might just decide to vote with their feet... in which case, everyone looses! :(

We all accept there are many different 'tastes' to cater for and there's no clear cut right or wrong, so its probably wise when writing to make it clear that your writing from 'your' perspective and don't get upset when someone disagree's with you! ;)

My latest review is http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/402373-post23.html

bigdjiver
28th-August-2007, 11:07 AM
One problem is that dance is a people business, and most comments point straight at one person, often as an individual, sometimes as one of a very small group. OTOH a rating like "two stars out of 5" is far too general to be really useful. A lot of us would put with a lot of **** for an evening of great dances.

Being about people the view of the venue can change dramatically from one week to the next.

Andy McGregor
28th-August-2007, 11:52 AM
I'm sure there was more on this thread. Somebody from Wimbledon Ceroc responded to Connie. And some of us reacted to that response. Has it been moved?

ducasi
28th-August-2007, 12:08 PM
I'm sure there was more on this thread. Somebody from Wimbledon Ceroc responded to Connie. And some of us reacted to that response. Has it been moved?
It's all on the "feedback on club nights (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/lets-talk-about-dance/6574-feedback-club-nights.html)" thread.

Lory
28th-August-2007, 12:12 PM
It's all on the "feedback on club nights (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/lets-talk-about-dance/6574-feedback-club-nights.html)" thread.

You got there first! :wink:

David Bailey
28th-August-2007, 12:49 PM
One problem is that dance is a people business, and most comments point straight at one person, often as an individual, sometimes as one of a very small group.
Not really - most of my reviews tend to focus on the music, the floor, the atmosphere, the parking (:grin: ) and so on.

OK, one could argue that music discussions are implicit discussions of the DJ, but unless it's a "The DJ was horrible and smelly" comment, I think it's reasonable to discuss the music and how it did / didn't work for you.

Being about people the view of the venue can change dramatically from one week to the next.
All reviews are like that though - but that doesn't make them useless. If 20 people in a row say that (for example) Fulham sometimes has a serious floorcraft-problem, that's useful information.

Lory
28th-August-2007, 01:23 PM
I know I've said it before but its of my opinion, that if someone 'charges' the public for a service, be it for teaching, running a venue or DJing, then the punters have a right to publicly express their opinion of the service provided.

However, I also believe it should be done in a fair and constructive way!

What I don't believe, is that individual dancers, who've spent money for a night out, should be publicly named and shamed and criticised by other dancers..

Andy McGregor
28th-August-2007, 02:15 PM

You got there first! :wink:Thanks & errr... thanks :flower: