PDA

View Full Version : Forum Tags, Just a thought

Lee Bartholomew
22nd-August-2007, 11:13 AM
With all the advice that is given nowdays and the fact there are one or two individuals who are determined to undermine the advice of others (Am not doing any name mentioning) but would it not be an idea to have in the name tag, a teacher tag added in?

Dreadful Scathe
22nd-August-2007, 11:39 AM
not really - as it is too limited a description. Commercial Operator works better as it makes you, if you care enough, question what it is they do. "Teacher" could mean "they do one class a week" but in actual fact "they run 5 nights and have other teachers work for them too" ...

I would suggest, to be complete, tags like "ex-tory counciller and lover of stockings who runs classes and refuses to give unpaid advice to Ceroc and who Lee Bartholomew is at odds with despite the rest of the worlds absolute indifference to this"...hmm...maybe an acronym..:)

ducasi
22nd-August-2007, 11:41 AM
Just because someone is a teacher, it doesn't necessarily make their advice correct or useful.

I'd rather know how long someone had been dancing, rather than whether they are a teacher or not.

Even without that though, by reading what people say and listening to the comments generated, you can usually figure out whose advice is worth paying attention to.

Occasionally the rep score tells you something useful too.

Lee Bartholomew
22nd-August-2007, 11:42 AM
I would suggest, to be complete, tags like "ex-tory counciller and lover of stockings who runs classes and refuses to give unpaid advice to Ceroc and who Lee Bartholomew is at odds with despite the rest of the worlds absolute indifference to this"...hmm...maybe an acronym..:)

Not at odds withn Andy, he has alot of experiance and whilst not being the best teacher I have ever seen, he is far from being the worst.

Personally I think the Comercial Operator tag is abit to open. A DJ is a comercial op as is a MJ website designer.

Lee Bartholomew
22nd-August-2007, 11:45 AM
Just because someone is a teacher, it doesn't necessarily make their advice correct or useful.

I'd rather know how long someone had been dancing, rather than whether they are a teacher or not.

Even without that though, by reading what people say and listening to the comments generated, you can usually figure out whose advice is worth paying attention to.

Maybe we should then think of a way of detailing who the best advice givers are.

Put it this way, if you are new to the forum and get given a piece of advice, how would you know it has come from someone reputable or not? The rep scores could mean someone is funny or just popular.

ducasi
22nd-August-2007, 11:50 AM
Maybe we should then think of a way of detailing who the best advice givers are.

Put it this way, if you are new to the forum and get given a piece of advice, how would you know it has come from someone reputable or not? The rep scores could mean someone is funny or just popular.
How do people figure out in real life whose advice is worth listening to?

David Bailey
22nd-August-2007, 11:51 AM
I've moved this thread to this area, as it's more appropriate here.

Personally I think the Comercial Operator tag is abit to open. A DJ is a comercial op as is a MJ website designer.
We've had this discussion before:
- http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/forum-technical-problems-questions-suggestions/12194-commercial-operator.html
- http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/forum-technical-problems-questions-suggestions/12802-senior-member-registered-user.html

We've also discussed it within the moderating team.

Basically, the consensus is that "Commercial operator" is the easiest tag to use at the moment.

David Bailey
22nd-August-2007, 11:54 AM
The forum is a pub. Would you trust advice from the man in the pub? Which particular man? It's that level of advice.

The rep scores could mean someone is funny or just popular.
Rep scores are almost meaningless IMO, as are most metrics based on numbers.

Hang round in the pub for a while and you'll form your own judgements, as you do in "real" life. Of course, that's just my advice :)

Lee Bartholomew
22nd-August-2007, 11:56 AM
Is it something that is brought up opten within the modding team?

The other thing is, with recent events like the plants and stuff, it would help knowing who just teaches, who is a franchise owner, who runs Indy classes etc.

I guess it might just become abit to complex

Stuart M
22nd-August-2007, 11:57 AM
As they stand, rep scores only really measure how many pals you have on the forum, how frequently you post, and how long you've been around. With a variance for how funny you are.
They are almost completely useless in determining the value of any technical dance advice a person may give.

I suggested the idea of separate rep scores for humour, knowledge, and popularity a while back, but it's probably just too cumbersome. Both to implement and use.

Lee Bartholomew
22nd-August-2007, 11:58 AM
The forum is a pub. Would you trust advice from the man in the pub? Which particular man? It's that level of advice.

Rep scores are almost meaningless IMO, as are most metrics based on numbers.

Hang round in the pub for a while and you'll form your own judgements, as you do in "real" life. Of course, that's just my advice :)

I've used that anthology before. You would take advice from a mechanic about your car not a man in the pub.

The forum problem is that if you have other mechanics in the pup telling people that the mechanic over there doesn't know what he is doing, just because that mechanic is not with the 'in' crowd.

David Bailey
22nd-August-2007, 12:00 PM
A couple of times in the past year that I can recall. It's not something we spend hours agonising over each week.

The other thing is, with recent events like the plants and stuff, it would help knowing who just teaches, who is a franchise owner, who runs Indy classes etc.
This is a reasonable point, and it raises (again) the whole anonymity / identity / credibility debate, which leads to:

Oh yes... :grin:

I suggested the idea of separate rep scores for humour, knowledge, and popularity a while back,
Sounds like the basis for an online game - WoW, CerocScotland stylee :grin:

Stuart M
22nd-August-2007, 12:07 PM
I've used that anthology before. You would take advice from a mechanic about your car not a man in the pub.
Yes, the Hayes manuals are a bit of an anthology, aren't they?

Dreadful Scathe
22nd-August-2007, 12:12 PM
Sounds like the basis for an online game - WoW, CerocScotland stylee :grin:

or..Forum Members Top Trumps..

Evilness , Actual Dance Ability, Commercialness , Humour , Advice etc...

Dj would have the highest evilness score in the pack ;)

Ghost
22nd-August-2007, 12:18 PM

If you want more info click on their profile.

Hmm maybe not

Amir's is blank and Rob Winter is a " Dancer / Web Architect". Marc Forster's is worth reading though....

Oh well, the option's there if they want to use it I guess.

Lee Bartholomew
22nd-August-2007, 12:21 PM
See Marc tag has Ceroc Teacher and DJ, It's this kind of thing I think might be helpful across the board.

What about threads listing comp winners past and present or something?

David Bailey
22nd-August-2007, 02:24 PM
or..Forum Members Top Trumps..
I think I've still got the pack I did a couple of years ago - I remember being impressed with ESG's stratospheric rep count of 300-odd. Ahh, those were the days.

Dj would have the highest evilness score in the pack ;)
Evilitude? Evality? Hmmm, you also missed out pedantry, I'd score sky-high on that one.

Stuart M
22nd-August-2007, 02:41 PM
I think I've still got the pack I did a couple of years ago - I remember being impressed with ESG's stratospheric rep count of 300-odd. Ahh, those were the days.
It was a fairly rubbish game though. That special rule about the holder of the DavidJames card, being able to split the pile and start a whole new deal whenever he wanted, thus taking all the cards out of their original context. And having to wade through all 20 pages of the "Gadget and woodface spelling rules"...nightmare...

David Bailey
22nd-August-2007, 03:08 PM
It was a fairly rubbish game though. That special rule about the holder of the DavidJames card, being able to split the pile and start a whole new deal whenever he wanted, thus taking all the cards out of their original context.
It was pretty prescient though, giving me those godlike powers 2 years ago, you've gotta admire that.

Seriously, I did a real pack of cards. Honest.

Twirly
22nd-August-2007, 03:38 PM

Does anyone actually look at anyone else's rep scores? :confused:

I think of rep as a nice pat on the back (I guess that neg rep would a slap?). Nothing more or less - not an indicator of anything much.

TheTramp
22nd-August-2007, 03:44 PM
Seriously, I did a real pack of cards. Honest.

Heh. Let's see them then! :rolleyes:

StokeBloke
22nd-August-2007, 04:03 PM
You could always put your credentials in your .sig file Woodface. It would of course be up to others to follow suit. But it's always great to be a trend setter and lead from the front :wink:

Lee Bartholomew
22nd-August-2007, 04:14 PM
You could always put your credentials in your .sig file Woodface. It would of course be up to others to follow suit. But it's always great to be a trend setter and lead from the front :wink:

Thats a good idea. The only prob is it would need to start a trend as otherwise I would just look like im showing off. Couldn't have that could we. :wink:

What do others think? would it help if all teachers etc done this. Where they teach what won etc?

David Bailey
22nd-August-2007, 04:35 PM
Heh. Let's see them then! :rolleyes:
I showed them to Lory and ZW at the time, and the response was a massive :shrug: combined with a look of pity for wasting my time on such an endeavour.

Hah, they all laughed at me, they called me crazy, this'll show them, mwa hahahahaha...

David Bailey
22nd-August-2007, 04:37 PM
What do others think? would it help if all teachers etc done this. Where they teach what won etc?
It's best to put those details in the actual space provided for them - your forum profile, in other words.

Otherwise, it's too much like advertising.

Lee Bartholomew
22nd-August-2007, 04:56 PM
It's best to put those details in the actual space provided for them - your forum profile, in other words.

Otherwise, it's too much like advertising.

Yeah your prob right about that. That was my worry about it abit.

David Bailey
22nd-August-2007, 04:59 PM
Yeah your prob right about that. That was my worry about it abit.
Just, ahem, don't look at Franck's sig... :whistle:

Lee Bartholomew
22nd-August-2007, 05:19 PM
Just, ahem, don't look at Franck's sig... :whistle:

He's allowed though. It's his forum.

Now if it was my forum.......... :devil: :rofl::rofl:

Ghost
22nd-August-2007, 07:03 PM
He's allowed though. It's his forum.

Now if it was my forum.......... :devil: :rofl::rofl:

I would so love to see the looks on various forumite's faces as they contemplate this :whistle:

Andy McGregor
23rd-August-2007, 12:10 AM
I would so love to see the looks on various forumite's faces as they contemplate this :whistle:
:eek:

Andy McGregor
23rd-August-2007, 12:20 AM
Not at odds withn Andy, he has alot of experiance and whilst not being the best teacher I have ever seen, he is far from being the worst.This statement brings a whole new meaning to "damned by faint praise". This statement could be applied to every teacher, except the worst and the best - I happen to know them both :devil: