PDA

View Full Version : Woodface's footslide...any pointers?

Terpsichorea
21st-August-2007, 10:45 AM
Hi guys

I tried a move last night after seeing it on one of Woodface's videos - basically it's a foot-slide where the lead stands square on to their partner, feet slightly wider than shoulder-width apart, before slowly sliding their feet together to close. I found it surprisingly hard to do - not sure whether my shoes weren't slippy enough, or because my technique was wrong. It's a good move, and I'd like to get the hang of it...

robd
21st-August-2007, 11:07 AM
Interestingly, was watching the Jivemasters 2004 DVD the other week and a few leaders were doing this on that - plus ça change.

I like to do this when I can. You need a good slippery floor - anything else and you risk injury. For the same reason, don't ever force it. Think about pulling up as well as in, drawing yourself up through your body and pulling your thighs together which should naturally lead to your feet coming together. Decent thigh muscles, unsurprisingly, are a help in this.

Terpsichorea
21st-August-2007, 11:09 AM
Interestingly, was watching the Jivemasters 2004 DVD the other week and a few leaders were doing this on that - plus ça change.

I like to do this when I can. You need a good slippery floor - anything else and you risk injury. For the same reason, don't ever force it. Think about pulling up as well as in, drawing yourself up through your body and pulling your thighs together which should naturally lead to your feet coming together. Decent thigh muscles, unsurprisingly, are a help in this.

Yes, I felt an ominous twinge in my groin while I was doing it! Don't want to be stretchered off mid-dance!

Lee Bartholomew
21st-August-2007, 11:22 AM
There is a certain amount of muscle work required and the floor does need to be quite slippery.

The actual technique is by making yourself top heavy. Imagine pushing all your weight to your chest and head, then trying.

Bit of a warning:- Don't try without a proper warm up. Start off small. You will be suprised at how quick your muscles build and you are able to go lower. Just let it progress naturally.

Cheats:- a few times I have gone too far and not had the strength to pull back up. If this happens you can a) bring all your weight on to one leg and slide the other in. b) Use the woman as slight leverage. Most wouldn't even notice you have put a little bit of weight on to them. c) cry becuase it bl00dy hurts.

Terpsichorea
21st-August-2007, 11:25 AM
There is a certain amount of muscle work required and the floor does need to be quite slippery.

The actual technique is by making yourself top heavy. Imagine pushing all your weight to your chest and head, then trying.

Bit of a warning:- Don't try without a proper warm up. Start off small. You will be suprised at how quick your muscles build and you are able to go lower. Just let it progress naturally.

Cheats:- a few times I have gone too far and not had the strength to pull back up. If this happens you can a) bring all your weight on to one leg and slide the other in. b) Use the woman as slight leverage. Most wouldn't even notice you have put a little bit of weight on to them. c) cry becuase it bl00dy hurts.

Cheers for that, I'll try building it up slowly. I had to use a bit of a) and c) last night :sick:

MartinHarper
28th-August-2007, 10:03 AM
Bouncing makes it much easier.

Martin
28th-August-2007, 11:58 AM
Hi guys

I tried a move last night after seeing it on one of Woodface's videos - basically it's a foot-slide where the lead stands square on to their partner, feet slightly wider than shoulder-width apart, before slowly sliding their feet together to close. I found it surprisingly hard to do - not sure whether my shoes weren't slippy enough, or because my technique was wrong. It's a good move, and I'd like to get the hang of it...

Slides are becoming very "in vouge" in Aussie right now as well, could be the WCS influence.

I do love those slides.

The only downer was a resent pre dance party lesson incorporating 3 slides.. a bit over the top in my opinion...

However, I do love those slides....

Andy McGregor
29th-August-2007, 11:18 AM
Bouncing makes it much easier.I'm guessing, but I think Martin must mean that you give yourself some lift by springing yourself upwards. Your feet remain in contact with the ground, but the weight on them is reduced as your weight is "airbourne" Your feet just extend from your "airbourne" hips to maintain contact with the floor to slide together.

David Franklin
29th-August-2007, 11:56 AM
I'm guessing, but I think Martin must mean that you give yourself some lift by springing yourself upwards. Your feet remain in contact with the ground, but the weight on them is reduced as your weight is "airbourne" Your feet just extend from your "airbourne" hips to maintain contact with the floor to slide together.In practical terms, I don't think you can give yourself enough lift to make that work while having it look like a 'slide' and not a 'jump'.

I think what's really going on here is the difference between static friction and dynamic (sliding) friction. In simple terms, it takes significantly more force to start something sliding that it does to keep it sliding. So the 'bounce' is really just enough of a de-weight to get the move started, having done that it's much easier to keep the slide going. Such was certainly my experience when I used to do this (since I dance in trainers these days, it's now a bit moot).

Lee Bartholomew
29th-August-2007, 04:17 PM
In practical terms, I don't think you can give yourself enough lift to make that work while having it look like a 'slide' and not a 'jump'.

I think what's really going on here is the difference between static friction and dynamic (sliding) friction. In simple terms, it takes significantly more force to start something sliding that it does to keep it sliding. So the 'bounce' is really just enough of a de-weight to get the move started, having done that it's much easier to keep the slide going. Such was certainly my experience when I used to do this (since I dance in trainers these days, it's now a bit moot).

:yeah:

It's like an internal jump without it showing as a jump externally. A good percentage does come down to strength though which is gained through repetative practise.