PDA

View Full Version : Happy Birthday WWW

Dreadful Scathe
17th-August-2007, 10:28 AM
The World Wide Web is 16 years old (on August 6th so we're a bit late).

Can anyone live without it?

What did people DO in the 80's :)

drathzel
17th-August-2007, 10:31 AM

made people like me!

Beowulf
17th-August-2007, 10:54 AM

I can only speak for myself.. but I wrote games on my ZX80 (and later My ZX81 and Later still my Spectrum !!)

I was destined to be a geek ! :blush:

In early 90's I ran a Dial up BBS which had a door program to allow people to download files from our shareware CD-roms (650mb? on one disk? Unheard of! )

And we also allowed people to send text mail messages via Fidonet (I think memory fails me) and once a night we would connect to our nearest node and pass on all the messages and download the new ones.

Ah.. it was cutting edge in those days !

pmjd
17th-August-2007, 11:11 AM
The World Wide Web is 16 years old (on August 6th so we're a bit late).

Can anyone live without it?

Played with Transformers:grin:

On a side note today is the 25th Birthday of the compact disc (http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/08/17/ft_compact_disc/)

Dreadful Scathe
17th-August-2007, 11:32 AM
I can only speak for myself.. but I wrote games on my ZX80 (and later My ZX81 and Later still my Spectrum !!)

My first proper computer was the Spectrum, having played with a friends zx81 and coded some basic, and very quiet, games from magazines. 1k is not a lot.
48k seemed enormous.

In early 90's I ran a Dial up BBS which had a door program to allow people to download files from our shareware CD-roms (650mb? on one disk? Unheard of! )

And we also allowed people to send text mail messages via Fidonet (I think memory fails me) and once a night we would connect to our nearest node and pass on all the messages and download the new ones.

I just co-sysoped a bbs i couldn't afford that sort of equipment. Discovered my old email address when clearing out the other day - from 1992 i think - also had a Fidonet one but cannot recall the number ;) I used to bluebox to the US to get the good stuff and 0 day warez unavailable on UK BBS's - those were, indeed, the days :) dammit, knew this would turn into a nostalgia thread. Again!