PDA

View Full Version : Bloody intermediate dancers...

David Bailey
17th-August-2007, 09:22 AM
Inspired by this:

I do notice the more experience dancer do cover more floorspace and fairly often they come thundering in towards my partner when were are spreading out after a return say.
Is it me, or are most of the problems in MJ social dancing caused by those people who've been dancing (say) a couple of years, and think they know everything?

This seems to crop up again and again - bad floorcraft, poor behaviour, wrong-headedness, complex / dangerous moves... Basically all the sins of social dancing.

Let's ban them all :)

Trouble
17th-August-2007, 09:35 AM
Inspired by this:

Is it me, or are most of the problems in MJ social dancing caused by those people who've been dancing (say) a couple of years, and think they know everything?

Not always but mostly. Some people just dont care about other people generally in life. They drive there car the same way, dont give way etc etc. These are the people that you find are the same on the dance floor, ignorant in life and taking over ya dance space. I find calling them ignorant and having DTS glare at them normally sorts out the problem mind you, its me they seem to be more scared off :)

Twirly
17th-August-2007, 10:00 AM
Not always but mostly. Some people just dont care about other people generally in life. They drive there car the same way, dont give way etc etc. These are the people that you find are the same on the dance floor, ignorant in life and taking over ya dance space.

:yeah: with bells on!

I don't think that removing any sort of dancer from the scene is gonna help DJ! :na:

Tell you what, why don't you start your own venue? Only admit the ladies you want to dance with, then dance with them one at a time - that way you'll have no-one to bump into on the dance floor :wink:

On a slightly more serious note, one thing that I have noticed about some intermediate dancers is that they tend to want to dance a long way from their partner, they don't like getting too close. I've pointed this out to a couple of people - once when I was asked what they could do to improve (and it worked really well when they adapted), and another time the guy was a friend (pre-Ceroc - one of my recruits :D ) and we were doing the Ceroc on the London Eye thing together. He had already been told that he danced at arms length, and we worked on it together to improve, as clearly it wasn't going to work dancing in a pod on the London Eye if he insisted on dancing as far away as possible!

I don't think that teachers tell/remind people that they should watch out for other people enough, if at all. I hardly ever hear it mentioned. It shouldn't need to be, but clearly it does.

David Bailey
17th-August-2007, 10:25 AM
I don't think that removing any sort of dancer from the scene is gonna help DJ! :na:
What, not even WCS-ers? :na:

johnnyman
17th-August-2007, 02:17 PM
I am saddened to see such behaviour on the dancefloor. In my own case, I do my level best to show respect for other people. After all, the floor belongs to everyone - or is this wrong to note?

Although I have been dancing for 10 years, I don't launch extravagant moves unless I have the space or the time. I think some venues are more popular than others because of the atmosphere they create (Fulham Town Hall and Ashton's in the South, Stockport (on the occasion I went there) in the North West and of course, Southport. Who's to stop people coming into a particular venue if they are out to try a different place from where they usually go?

One solution might be like they do in clubs and at weekenders - set a capacity level and pre-book option for each venue and when the floor space and capacity is reached, tell the people on the door to not let anybody in until somebody comes out. I know Utopia Dance adopt this principle very successfully on their Friday evening events at Whitton and Ashton's when they take place. As Val Forsey stated in an e-mail explaining the booking process, several people booked a place beforehand and then didn't turn up on the night, leaving an uneven gender balance and a lot of people who could make it out in the cold.

The downside of this is there is a danger that all of a sudden the venues become exclusive to the point of exclusion and I don't think that's what anybody wants, least of all those who are just after somewhere to go on a night out.

We should all be aware of our floor space and level. It is easy to get carried away when you have moves and style that are second nature, but we all need to be reminded of our responsibilities when dancing socially.

best
johnnyman

robd
17th-August-2007, 02:44 PM

What, not even WCS-ers? :na:

Well, that might make you look better DJ (in relative terms) :devil:

Jamie
17th-August-2007, 04:04 PM
I fit into the category of "2 years dancing experience" and I don't think I show any signs of:

bad floorcraft, poor behaviour, wrong-headedness, complex / dangerous moves... Basically all the sins of social dancing.Don't tar everyone with the same brush! :sad:

Although on that note, perhaps I should start a thread, "Bloody Old Dancers"

"So stuck in their ways with their circular, old-ceroc style dancing and the attitude of 'i've been dancing 100 years so I'm better than everyone'.. Been to every venue in the world and know exactly which ones are bad (albeit the last time I went to X venue it was 1975) and which people bounce or that bouncing in general is BAD, fast music should die and there should only be blues! Oh yeah and all same sex dancing should be banned!

Ban em all!!!!" :na:

:flower:

Freudian Hips
17th-August-2007, 04:22 PM
I fit into the category of "2 years dancing experience" and I don't think I show any signs of:

Don't tar everyone with the same brush! :sad:

<stuff>

:yeah:

Cos then I can be (in 9 months or so's time ...) a bloody intermediate and a bloody old dancer too :clap: :clap: :clap:

Can't wait :D

happygoldfish
17th-August-2007, 04:58 PM
I fit into the category of "2 years dancing experience"

But the category stipulated "and think they know everything" …

Is there something you're trying to avoid telling us? :rolleyes:

This seems to crop up again and again - bad floorcraft, poor behaviour, wrong-headedness, complex / dangerous moves... Basically all the sins of social dancing.

:yeah: People who think they know everything should be encouraged to take up some other form of dancing, and become know-it-alls at that! :devil:

Jamie
17th-August-2007, 05:04 PM
But the category stipulated "and think they know everything" …

Is there something you're trying to avoid telling us? :rolleyes:

:yeah: People who think they know everything should be encouraged to take up some other form of dancing, and become know-it-alls at that! :devil:

I'm quite sure that every man in his life has thought he knows everything about something. When I had been dancing 6 months I thought I knew more than I did, but it's just progression of learning a new skill..

Similar to learning a language.. You start off and you know you can't speak much of a cirtain language.. Then after a month you know sentences and you can string em together to form conversation, it's then that you start getting cocky and think you can speak that language very well.. Until you speak to someone who is fluent in that language, then you realise how far you have to go!

So no, people who "think" they know everything shouldn't be discouraged, they should be encouraged to learn more... As that's the only way to improve. I know that if that attitude had been taken with me when I had been dancing 6 months I wouldn't be here talking to you.

We're only human, we all have flaws, maybe even you... :whistle:

Lee Bartholomew
17th-August-2007, 05:44 PM
I would have been dancing 2 years in September (12th) but I dont fall in to that category either.....

Because I do know everything :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Actually what DJ descriped exactly fits the behaviour of a certain well respected former Blues champion in the blues room at Jive-times last Camber event :whistle::whistle::whistle:

Raul
17th-August-2007, 06:22 PM
Actually what DJ descriped exactly fits the behaviour of a certain well respected former Blues champion in the blues room at Jive-times last Camber event :whistle::whistle::whistle:

Yeah! Bloody Intermediate Dancer! :rofl: :rofl:

LemonCake
17th-August-2007, 07:40 PM
{snip}
...we were doing the Ceroc on the London Eye thing together.

You should be careful with that, I've heard it can have long-lasting effects... :whistle:

:awe: :rolleyes:

Andy McGregor
18th-August-2007, 11:48 AM

"So stuck in their ways with their circular, old-ceroc style dancing and the attitude of 'i've been dancing 100 years so I'm better than everyone'.. Been to every venue in the world and know exactly which ones are bad (albeit the last time I went to X venue it was 1975) and which people bounce or that bouncing in general is BAD, fast music should die and there should only be blues! Oh yeah and all same sex dancing should be banned!

Ban em all!!!!" :na:

:flower::yeah:

Absolutely right. Those old dancers get in the way of us shiny young things :wink:

Gus
18th-August-2007, 12:16 PM
Actually what DJ descriped exactly fits the behaviour of a certain well respected former Blues champion in the blues room at Jive-times last Camber event :whistle::whistle::whistle:Hmmmm AFAIK there is only one 'Blues Champion' on the circuit ... so doesn't that rather limit the list of suspects as to who you are talking about? :whistle:

Lee Bartholomew
18th-August-2007, 12:22 PM
Hmmmm AFAIK there is only one 'Blues Champion' on the circuit ... so doesn't that rather limit the list of suspects as to who you are talking about? :whistle:

I don't know. I would have thought there was a few former blues Champions. Howard and Nicola for a start?