PDA

View Full Version : Mangles...what are they and are they an 'Advanced' Move?

Terpsichorea
16th-August-2007, 09:01 AM
I was talking to a MJ demonstrator the other night about what exactly constitutes an 'Advanced' move - several of the venues where I go to feature such a move at the end of the evening's teaching. It came down to invariably something like a seducer or a lean or combination of the two, but mention was also made of 'mangle-type' moves as a benchmark of complexity...so what exactly are they? I have a vision of something Pretzelly in my head - is this thinking along the right lines?

And please, no jokes about wringing out clothes between rollers, Plain Jane's husband in Neighbours or varieties of turnip :rolleyes:

Dreadful Scathe
16th-August-2007, 09:43 AM
is this things like the "tumble dryer" move ? id say its advanced as it needs careful footwork, careful lead and good timing to do and look good at the same time.

Terpsichorea
16th-August-2007, 10:03 AM
is this things like the "tumble dryer" move ? id say its advanced as it needs careful footwork, careful lead and good timing to do and look good at the same time.

Aha - so what is the Tumble Dryer move? :confused:

David Franklin
16th-August-2007, 10:15 AM
Have a look at: YouTube - Alex Da Silva & Ruby Karen - Mayan World Salsa Champ 2005 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KMjeqS4A9Y) (and try to ignore the 18 aerials!).

I think the move at 49-50 seconds is a mangle (possibly a half-mangle; I'm not sure exactly the dividing line is).

The move from 1:07 to 1:13 or so is a variation on a tumble-dryer - it looks a little odd because it's a lot more 'slotted' than you'd normally see it done.

Dreadful Scathe
16th-August-2007, 10:19 AM
it looks nice slotted - i remember the tumble dryer was a Dan Baines move years ago and it looked great in a bouncy hip-hop styley too...

David Franklin
16th-August-2007, 10:24 AM
it looks nice slotted - i remember the tumble dryer was a Dan Baines move years ago and it looked great in a bouncy hip-hop styley too...I have this as a clip that I found on a website years ago. I thought a video clip would be a bit much to upload, but having a look, it's a "massive" 250kb (which was quite a big file back then!), so I suspect Franck's servers will handle the load...

Edit: upload didn't go through - maybe Franck's servers are worse than I thought...

David Franklin
16th-August-2007, 10:27 AM
Uploaded as a .zip as the forum doesn't recognize .avi as a valid file type...

Terpsichorea
16th-August-2007, 10:29 AM
Have a look at: YouTube - Alex Da Silva & Ruby Karen - Mayan World Salsa Champ 2005 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KMjeqS4A9Y) (and try to ignore the 18 aerials!).

I think the move at 49-50 seconds is a mangle (possibly a half-mangle; I'm not sure exactly the dividing line is).

The move from 1:07 to 1:13 or so is a variation on a tumble-dryer - it looks a little odd because it's a lot more 'slotted' than you'd normally see it done.

Thanks that's a great video! (I intend to nick the slide between the legs bit at 47 seconds.

The Tumbledryer looks pretty amazing, but I'd imagine you'd need a follower with totally spaghetti arms!

And it's also really annoying trying to decipher a complex move like that from a video clip. Hate it when I see a move that looks great, but it's really tough to work out exactly what's going on!

Dreadful Scathe
16th-August-2007, 10:29 AM
Im also looking for "Hong Kong Phooey" Episode 4 ;)

Dreadful Scathe
16th-August-2007, 10:31 AM
The Tumbledryer looks pretty amazing, but I'd imagine you'd need a follower with totally spaghetti arms!

Its not the arms that are the problem - you need to lead light but still have the follower do a lot of movement very quickly.

David Bailey
16th-August-2007, 10:31 AM
Ah, so that's Alex Da Silva. That explains the god-awful Argentine Tango done by Danny and Sara (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGvCxfcERR0) in SYTYCD recently - he choreographed that...

To be clear, is that the "swing between the legs" type move or the "honeycomb" type move?

Dreadful Scathe
16th-August-2007, 10:37 AM
which is the "honeycomb", is that the "fimble" type move....

this could go on for ever ;)

David Franklin
16th-August-2007, 10:42 AM
Ah, so that's Alex Da Silva. That explains the god-awful Argentine Tango done by Danny and Sara (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGvCxfcERR0) in SYTYCD recently - he choreographed that...Alex has somewhat of a reputation for not letting the dance style, music, or timing get in the way of the tricks and acrobatics...

To be clear, is that the "swing between the legs" type move or the "honeycomb" type move?The latter (i.e. the move that occurs during 0:49 and 0:50, rather than the move that finishes at the start of 0:49).

David Bailey
16th-August-2007, 11:03 AM
which is the "honeycomb", is that the "fimble" type move....
Well, when I was taught it, right, by Mike Ellard, OK, he called it the "honeycomb" - there's a lady honeycomb and a man honeycomb. So I'm sticking with that terminology, I don't care what they call it now.

Anyway, I wouldn't call it an advanced move...

Dreadful Scathe
16th-August-2007, 11:13 AM
Well, when I was taught it, right, by Mike Ellard, OK, he called it the "honeycomb" - there's a lady honeycomb and a man honeycomb. So I'm sticking with that terminology, I don't care what they call it now.

There is no "fimble" move I was merely pointing out that using extra terminology will likely not help establish the move in question - the movements that make up the whole move or the timestamp as DF gave, will be enough ;)