PDA

View Full Version : Is London IT?

Paul F
26th-August-2003, 11:59 AM
Ok, im scared now.

I know this may have been touched on in the past but I have just spent the weekend dancing in Manchester and Birmingham and chatting to a lot of the dancers and i am worried.

Im worried because I will be moving to Manchester soon and I feel my dancing will suffer ...... because im not in London!!! :what:

Im desperately hoping that someone will ease the pain by assuring me that there are advanced classes/ workshops etc held in the North/North-West on a regular basis but im not too confident they are.

Down south I attend two advanced classes a week (nigels and victors) as well as having a number of workshops available from different franchises.

I danced at a few venues this weekend and at all of these the ladies didnt recognise half of the moves that i did. At one point one lady said "cool, dips, we dont get that up here!!!!"

Please tell me this isnt true.

Does London have the monopoly when it comes to the availability of expertise??

TheTramp
26th-August-2003, 12:02 PM
Ummm. While it's undoubtably true that there are a higher number of the better dancers based in London (mainly because it's easier to improve, if you can watch, and dance with, the better dancers), there are by no means no good dancers elsewhere.

Having just moved to Scotland, I'm enjoying my dancing as much, if not more, than I did down south. Although, there are some ladies that I do miss dancing with on a weekly basis.

Though, I'm trying to persuade them all to move up here too!! :D

Steve

Andy McGregor
26th-August-2003, 03:42 PM
In my experience there are good dancers everywhere. I've danced with quite a few girls from Manchester at various events. They were great dancers and quite versatile too...

I dance all over the place and regularly go to classes I've never been to. What I do find when I go somewhere new is that I don't know anyone:really: That means at the start of the night I don't know who is good and who's bad, who's been dancing for 5 years and can't follow, whose just started but is fantastic already, etc. We take this for granted at our regular venues. I'm sure that once you get to know where to go and who to ask you'll find that it's pretty much like London.

And besides, it's not all consistently brilliant in London. Hipsters is always good. The dances are usually good. Some other venues are good. But at quite a few venues it feels like you've come on the wrong night - at least South of the Thames it's like that (Hipsters is the only one I cross the river for). The good news is that in London we've got plenty of choice. And the good people go where the good people go - and stay away from the others. Maybe you just haven't found out where that good place is in Manchester. I'll find out where to go in Manchester and post it here.

Oh yes, if you're dancing in Manchester and bump into a blonde called Jo tell her that I'll stand by her if there's any product of our union :devil:

The same goes for Kate :devil: :devil:

..and Jack(queline):blush:

Gus
26th-August-2003, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Paul F

Im worried because I will be moving to Manchester soon and I feel my dancing will suffer ...... because im not in London!!! :what:

I danced at a few venues this weekend and at all of these the ladies didnt recognise half of the moves that i did. At one point one lady said "cool, dips, we dont get that up here!!!!"

Interesting post. As I'm based in Machester ... but have danced a fair bit around the place, I will have to agree that we don't have as many advanced dancers as, say, Hipsters .... but then again how many clubs do???

Don't know exactly where you were dancing but the Freestyles at Stockport and Northwich will always have a fair selection of ladies who will be able to match your needs. If the likes of Viktor and Nigel can come up and enjoy themselves I would have thought that mortal men would have been able to do the same.

As Andy McG points out, there are lovely ladies such as Jo and Kate ... and also our other advanced dancers such as Helen Zambas, Littel Lynn, Clare D, Sarah (Punkfish partner), Mrs Chance to Dance etc. ... all these and more I've not yet had the plesaure of dancing with.

If you were at Ceroc Nantwich, I could understand your disspointment (:devil: ) as its not the place it used to be, but the clubs at Bowden, Chester (Mondays) and Sheffield have some great dancing and the freestyles I mentioned earlier are second to none.

So ... fear not, drop me a line next time you are up and let me introduce you around.

Paul F
26th-August-2003, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Andy McGregor
Maybe you just haven't found out where that good place is in Manchester. I'll find out where to go in Manchester and post it here.

Oh yes, if you're dancing in Manchester and bump into a blonde called Jo tell her that I'll stand by her if there's any product of our union :devil:

The same goes for Kate :devil: :devil:

..and Jack(queline):blush:

]Originally posted by Gus So ... fear not, drop me a line next time you are up and let me introduce you around.

Thats really nice of both of you, thankyou.

Will
26th-August-2003, 05:36 PM
Maybe modesty is forbidding him from mentioning this, but I was under the impression that Gus ran some advanced workshops in the Manchester area, that he either taught himself or got other top names in to teach.

Keith
26th-August-2003, 11:25 PM
Hi Paul,
This should be a true test of your lead, all these advanced moves & so many new young ladies to test them on.
Where were you dancing in Manchester?
We do have some excellent venues, but as with most venues around the country, on a normal week night, if you can get 5 advanced (Good) dancers in one venue you are doing well, I've had the same discussion in some London venues.
The best dancing comes at the weekend with the Hops etc, where people converge from all over the North West. This I'm sure is similar in London. I think the difference is quantity & London has that greater denseness, which must help.
In the North we only really have a couple of Ceroc Venues & Blitz, after that we have a lot of independents, but they survive on smaller numbers than the other two.
The best venues are Blitz in Bowden on a Tue and Thu, or Ceroc on a Tue, in Nantwich. After that you will have to look out for weekend bashes. Speak to Gus, who organises excellent dances in Middlewich on certain weekends, or www.cerocmidlands.co.uk in Birmingham, Mike Allsopp, not a million miles away.
Check out www.blitzjive.com or www.dance@ceroc.info for links to all venues.
Hope to see you around,
If you wish you can forward your e-mail address to keith@danceindex.com & I’ll put you on my mailing list, which includes local dance news, along with some national info.
Welcome to the North West,
Keith
:cheers:

Bill
27th-August-2003, 10:21 AM
Have to agree with what the others have said so far and having danced a number of times round Manchester I'd say you have little to worry about.

Stockport is my favourite dance venue in the Uk and is usually full of wonderful dancers - some of whom Gus has mentioned and even has a few Scottish 'imports'. The sparkly Laura is now is now based there and my own partner Fran makes it down occassionally.

There are regular hops and a number of workshops and the people tend to be very friendly.

Have fun.

Paul F
27th-August-2003, 11:10 AM
Thanks everyone,

I feel the feeling of panic subsiding now :)

I guess the change in density of the venues is what scared me most.

Looks like it just means more emphasis for dancers to get together.

Rachel
27th-August-2003, 01:00 PM
I danced at a few venues this weekend and at all of these the ladies didnt recognise half of the moves that i did. At one point one lady said "cool, dips, we dont get that up here!!!!" Not recognising your moves doesn't necessarily mean that someone isn't a good dancer ... or that there are a lack of good teachers north of London. Maybe they just do different moves ... It shouldn't really matter, anyway, as long as you can lead the moves you like.

I don't think I know any individuals in Manchester or Stockport, but in Birmingham there are no end of excellent female dancers - Debbie and Lou (Blackpool showcase) and Della (ie Della and Elliot) just for a start.
Rachel

Dreadful Scathe
27th-August-2003, 06:07 PM
I think its mainly the difference in moves and style rather than a difference in quality of dancers outside london. I found my dancing suffered due to travelling to too many venues and my sometimes feeble lead caused the ladies to 'guess' what i meant and it all failing horribly. My excuse at the moment is that im out of practice... I need to go back to dancing twice a week :). A guy with a good lead should manage fine though, just hunt around for the best nights and the best music :).

TheTramp
27th-August-2003, 07:05 PM
Actually DS, was talking to a young lady today who said how much she enjoyed dancing with you last night at Hipsters.

So you can't be as bad as all that really :D

Steve

Rachel
28th-August-2003, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
I think its mainly the difference in moves and style rather than a difference in quality of dancers outside london. I found my dancing suffered due to travelling to too many venues and my sometimes feeble lead caused the ladies to 'guess' what i meant and it all failing horribly. My excuse at the moment is that im out of practice... I need to go back to dancing twice a week :). A guy with a good lead should manage fine though, just hunt around for the best nights and the best music :). Hey DS! Great to see you Tues - I enjoyed our dances, and you certainly didn't seem out of practise to me. Hope you got back to Reading alright. So what did you think of Hipsters? (Shame Jon Brett was away, though, huh?) Where did you go last night, and was it good???
Rachel

Pammy
28th-August-2003, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by Rachel
Hey DS! Great to see you Tues - I enjoyed our dances, and you certainly didn't seem out of practise to me. Hope you got back to Reading alright. So what did you think of Hipsters? (Shame Jon Brett was away, though, huh?) Where did you go last night, and was it good???
Rachel

Rachel, I saw you dancing, and then you vanished before I could say hi, so I'll say hello on here instead.

Are you coming to Billcos night in Twyford the Sat after next? Hope so :grin:

Px

Rachel
28th-August-2003, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Pammy
Rachel, I saw you dancing, and then you vanished before I could say hi, so I'll say hello on here instead.

Are you coming to Billcos night in Twyford the Sat after next? Hope so :grin:

Px Same here! We were looking for you at the end of the evening, but couldn't see you. Also DS but, if he was on public transport, I guess he may have had to rush off.

I saw you having a lovely dance at one point, Pammy - looked great. I can't remember who it was with - I think David B. I also saw you going off to dance with Marc. He said he enjoyed his dance with you.

I've made a note of Twyford and am really tempted to go - also want to see Will and Kate's routine. It sounds like it will be a great party, but I do have some reservations .... I know I'm a real party pooper, but I just hate dressing up - especially when it means trying to find a costume suitable for dancing in.

There's also a couple of other good venues on that same night - Ashtons, Nottingham, and Rebel Roc at Woking. Oh decisions ...!
Rachel

TheTramp
28th-August-2003, 12:48 PM
Well, I'll be there too Rachel, and I won't be wearing a costume. I guess we could sit in the 'party poopers' corner together.... :D

Steve

Rachel
28th-August-2003, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by TheTramp
Well, I'll be there too Rachel, and I won't be wearing a costume. I guess we could sit in the 'party poopers' corner together.... :D

Steve You're on. Maybe have a little dance together in the poopers corner, too, if they let us ...

TheTramp
28th-August-2003, 01:19 PM
I'd have thought so. Yes :D

Steve

Paul F
28th-August-2003, 01:22 PM
On the point of the 6th (sorry i know its in another thread) but I really really really wanna go but i havnt got time to go finding a costume.

Besides which I cant think of anything (legal) that i can dance in and not get too hot!!!!

Do i take it a costume is not a mandatory thing?

Pammy
28th-August-2003, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Paul F; aka to those who love and adore him, The Infamous Wiz
Do i take it a costume is not a mandatory thing?

When was the Wizard of Oz first released Paul? I would have said you'd be fine coming as yourself :devil:

Due to beach boogie, I may not have time to work out a great outfit as I don't think I'll be getting back til earlier that very day.

Worst case I'll just find the worst thing in my wardrobe and that will probably be suitable. Maybe I'll just wear the toilet roll and shrunken head!

I'll draw a peace sign on your cheek if you like (face that is!) :wink:

Px

TheTramp
28th-August-2003, 03:39 PM
On the point of the 6th (sorry i know its in another thread) but I really really really wanna go but i havnt got time to go finding a costume.

Besides which I cant think of anything (legal) that i can dance in and not get too hot!!!!

Do i take it a costume is not a mandatory thing? If it's anything like most theme nights, then probably somewhat less than 1/2 of the people there will be in costume. And those that do, will probably be changed out of it when the real dancing starts. Unless of course it is comfortable to dance in :D

Steve

Andy McGregor
28th-August-2003, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by TheTramp
If it's anything like most theme nights, then probably somewhat less than 1/2 of the people there will be in costume. And those that do, will probably be changed out of it when the real dancing starts. Unless of course it is comfortable to dance in :D

Steve

As someone who dresses up regularly, my advice is to keep your outfit on 'til everyone's seen it - try and keep it on when you dance for a track or two - then wear one or two distinguishing items from the outfit for the rest of the night.

I must confess that my most successful night was one I went to as a fencer. I had amazing sucess with women - until I took the mask off:tears:

Gus
31st-August-2003, 07:06 PM

Does London have the monopoly when it comes to the availability of expertise??

Well ... maybe your fear should have been allayed after Wednesday night at Hipsters .... I believe that you may have eneded up dancing with a certain latin looking lady with thick curly hair? And maybe Will as well. If the descriptions I've just been given were correct it seems that both you guys may have grabbed our very own Helen Zambas for a dance.... and appreanlt very nice dances she had with you guys as well:grin: Helen is the Blitz teacher for Leeds but also comes across to the Manchester venues a fair bit.

Dance Demon
31st-August-2003, 08:50 PM
Ahhh.....the lovely Helen. Got a couple of fab dances with her on her recent visit to Scotland. Was pleased to see her at Route 66 with Fran & Bill..:waycool:

Gus
31st-August-2003, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by Dance Demon
Ahhh.....the lovely Helen. Got a couple of fab dances with her on her recent visit to Scotland. Was pleased to see her at Route 66 with Fran & Bill..:waycool:

Well you're doing better than me pal! She's supposed to be my dance partner but with me DJing and her teaching all round the place I think I've had half a dozen dances max this season:sad: Think I should move to London or Scotland so I'd get to see her more often:wink:

Will
1st-September-2003, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by Gus
Well ... maybe your fear should have been allayed after Wednesday night at Hipsters .... I believe that you may have eneded up dancing with a certain latin looking lady with thick curly hair? And maybe Will as well.

I wondered if she was your Helen. Very nice dancer!

Paul F
1st-September-2003, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Gus
Well ... If the descriptions I've just been given were correct it seems that both you guys may have grabbed our very own Helen Zambas for a dance....

I did indeed get to dance with Helen but just the once :tears:

Fantastic dancer.

Sheepman
3rd-September-2003, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Gus
... and also our other advanced dancers such as Helen Zambas, Littel Lynn, Clare D, Sarah (Punkfish partner), Mrs Chance to Dance etc. ... all these and more I've not yet had the plesaure of dancing with.
I presume by Littel lynn you mean Lynn who was 2nd (?) in the Take a Chance at Blackpool this year. Great to see her at Beach Boogie, but oh no! this meant I missed Helen visiting Hipsters on Wednesday. :tears:
I also danced with other great dancers from around the country at BB, no shortage of top dancers up north.

Greg

Gus
3rd-September-2003, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by Sheepman
I presume by Littel lynn you mean Lynn who was 2nd (?) in the Take a Chance at Blackpool this year.

Greg

Think that Lynne is the Blitz teacher for Darlingon (way up North East) ... though another great dancer. I was actualy referring to Lynn Mayor, hails from Warrington area .... one of the few lasses I know who can dance equally well to any style of music ... and one the most entertaining demos its ever been my pleasure to work with.:grin:

Yup ... truly an embaressment of riches .... when they all turn up! Think the A class male dancers are a bit thinner on the ground.