PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Moves... (and least faves, too)?

Lou
11th-July-2002, 09:53 AM
We did a routine this week where one of my most favourite moves (Spiral Staircase) led into one of my least favourites (Zany Pretzel). So I was wondering what foibles the people on this board have.... :wink:

DavidB
11th-July-2002, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Lou
Spiral Staircase led into ... Zany PretzelSounds more like an Estate Agent describing something out of Alice in Wonderland...

On average I like about one move every couple of classes. The rest I would never do again. For me classes are more about learning how to dance, and meeting people.

My favourite move is the yoyo.

My least favourite moves are the false pretzel and the teapot. I don't know the names of the other moves I dislike - I just don't bother remembering them.

Things I like in classes:
- A routine that feels like it is social dancing - ie everything is natural and not forced.
- The teacher saying 'Here's that move to a count', and then going 'One, two, three...' etc.
- Being told how to lead it

Things I don't like in classes:
- Unleadable moves
- Moves that don't flow into each other
- The teacher saying 'Here's that move to a count', and then going 'Back, In, twist...' etc.

David

Franck
11th-July-2002, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Lou
We did a routine this week where one of my most favourite moves (Spiral Staircase) led into one of my least favourites (Zany Pretzel). So I was wondering what foibles the people on this board have.... :wink: Hi Lou,

Great idea, but we might stumble on the names... It seems that Leroc use different names :what:

Now, it could be an interesting game to guess the moves you refer to above... Is the Spiral staircase a Backhander???
Is the Zany Pretzel a Double Pretzel ?
We might need more details / description :wink:

My favourite moves are probably Beginners moves: The First move, the manspin and the comb!
I know they are not very intricate, but they give plenty of opportunity to add style and fun to the dance.

My least favourite moves are Jumps and Lifts + any move that is complicated for complicationÕs sake, like the Granada mangle (but please donÕt ask me to describe it...)

Franck.

Lou
11th-July-2002, 12:13 PM
I did wonder about the names....

OK - Spiral Staircase: starts like a First Move (I think we have that in common), so you bring the lady in to your side. Then, as you turn her out, you signal it's a "Spiral Staircase" by simultaneously pushing her out, so that there's some space between you. Then, the lady is turned anticlockwise on the spot, as the man moves across her, and back into that locked position at the start of the First Move. (if you get my drift so far)! Then, you can optionally travel around for 3 beats - then you repeat from the push/turn out, turn, and exit like a normal First Move.

Zany could be a double. It's as a normal Pretzel, except on beat 3 (assuming 1 is the step back) you drop the lady's right hand, and on beat 4 you spin her clockwise in front of you, holding her left hand - then repeat, but as if it were mirrored (you would signal right hand behind your back).

Clear as mud, right? :wink:

Franck
11th-July-2002, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Lou
OK - Spiral Staircase: starts like a First Move (I think we have that in common), so you bring the lady in to your side. Then, as you turn her out, you signal it's a "Spiral Staircase" by simultaneously pushing her out, so that there's some space between you. Then, the lady is turned anticlockwise on the spot, as the man moves across her, and back into that locked position at the start of the First Move. (if you get my drift so far)! Then, you can optionally travel around for 3 beats - then you repeat from the push/turn out, turn, and exit like a normal First Move.Ok, I got that one, we call it the First move walkaround wrapper a bit of a mouthful, but a good description...
I believe a lot of women would quote this move as one of their favourite :grin:
Originally posted by Lou
Zany could be a double. It's as a normal Pretzel, except on beat 3 (assuming 1 is the step back) you drop the lady's right hand, and on beat 4 you spin her clockwise in front of you, holding her left hand - then repeat, but as if it were mirrored (you would signal right hand behind your back).

Clear as mud, right? :wink: Very clear :wink: I see the one you mean now, but canÕt think of the name just now... IÕll have to check my notes. Probably Pretzel Spin and back

Franck.

filthycute
11th-July-2002, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Franck
Ok, I got that one, we call it the First move walkaround wrapper a bit of a mouthful, but a good description...
I believe a lot of women would quote this move as one of their favourite :grin:YUP! :D i like this move.The other move i really like is...um...ok i don't know the name of it, but it starts like a basket and the man spins the lady out real fast, keeping hold of her left hand, then whips her back in again :D
As for moves i don't like....well the term "don't like" is a bit mild for this one.....more like hate with a vengance!!! :mad:
What is the "cheesy" choo-choo train one all about!?!?!?!?!?!:reallymad YEUCH!!!!! The other one i'm not keen on is the extended comb....i just don't like people invading my personal space all that much :sick:
I'm not really into the lifts and airsteps...but then i haven't been taught most of them and it could just be a case of not knowing enough and they always feel wrong:sick: but i DO love the half loop..oneof my favs :D

and as for dips and drops......I love em' all :wink: :waycool:

filthycute x x

Lou
11th-July-2002, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by filthycute

What is the "cheesy" choo-choo train one all about!?!?!?!?!?!:reallymad YEUCH!!!!! That must be one of yours! *lol* Never seen anything like that before - and I don't think I wanna. Do you guys do any forms of Nigel's Move? That can look incredibly cheesy if you let it. Especially if you do any of the snap your fingers versions....
and as for dips and drops......I love em' all :wink: :waycool: Only with the right chap, mind.... :wink:

Stubob
12th-July-2002, 12:01 PM
Hi all,

My favourite moves are the secret double-handed swizzle comb and the lasoo seducer.

Moves I don't like I just forget about........!

Stubob

Emma
23rd-August-2002, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by filthycute
YUP! :D i like this move.The other move i really like is...um...ok i don't know the name of it, but it starts like a basket and the man spins the lady out real fast, keeping hold of her left hand, then whips her back in again :D

filthycute x x

That's a Something-or-other (basket??)flip-flop, isn't it? I like that one too, and the wurlitzer. I've always particularly liked the octopus, for some reason, dunno why.

I don't like moves that are badly-led, mainly. And unannounced drops from people I've never seen or danced with before.