PDA

View Full Version : How old were you for your first time?

Lou
20th-August-2003, 11:00 AM
All this talk of ages is making me wonder...

How old were you when you first ventured into a Modern Jive class....?

TheTramp
20th-August-2003, 11:19 AM

Wish I'd been 20 though!!

Steve

Dave Hancock
20th-August-2003, 11:23 AM
Was looking for the option that I've still to start dancing modern jive. No need for any further comments Mr T:wink:

TheTramp
20th-August-2003, 11:31 AM
Won't make any then!! :wink:

Steve

Dave Hancock
20th-August-2003, 11:33 AM
New you wouldn't be able to help yourself!
Glasgow tonight???

TheTramp
20th-August-2003, 11:35 AM
Nah. 'Fraid not.

That was just a one-off, since I was coming down with Sheena, and she was coming to practise with Brady.

Though, if she should decide that more practise with him is neccessary before the finals, then I'd happily accompany her down again!

Steve

Will
20th-August-2003, 12:19 PM
I got invited to someones "Birthday Bash" back in 1994, which turned out to be a Ceroc night a St Pauls in South Kensington. I can still remember how difficult it was. I only stuck with it because a couple of friends were regulars. And I remember a young Viktor wowing the punters with his moves.

Dancing on Carpet! .........those were the days......

Franck
20th-August-2003, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Lou
All this talk of ages is making me wonder...

How old were you when you first ventured into a Modern Jive class....? I thought I would have to move this thread upstairs :wink: but thankfully not...

Very interesting question, and it seems that despite discussions in the 'Youngsters' thread, Ceroc / Modern Jive are very successful at attracting a younger audience, with (so far) 85% of us started in their 20s...

I reckon the reason the average age will keep going up, is that most dancers want to keep dancing, and get older! :D

Great stat, I hope more people respond / vote to get a more representative picture!

Franck.

Tiggerbabe
20th-August-2003, 01:54 PM
Ah yes! That first night in the Craigtay Hotel - and that wonderful taxi-dancer who took me under his wing (well actually he asked me to dance but it's almost the same thing :wink: ) - what was his name again?............Oh yeah! Bill :hug: :D

I'd been looking for some sort of "jive" class for years and only wish I'd been in Glagow 7 years earlier when Ceroc started there.

Thing is I think I'm younger now than I was when I started - go figure! :rofl:

Dave Hancock
20th-August-2003, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Sheena
Thing is I think I'm younger now than I was when I started - go figure! :rofl:

Alzheimer’s???:confused:

John S
20th-August-2003, 03:29 PM
Well according to my profile (and sometimes how I feel) I'm 100 years old - so I guess I was 96 when I started.

Dance Demon
20th-August-2003, 05:27 PM
I'm with Sheena on this one. I was 40 when I started dancing, but feel much younger than that now. I think it's interesting that when at a jive night, you don't really think about how young or old the person you are dancing with is. you just enjoy the dance.Can't really think of anywhere else that this is the case.

Tiggerbabe
20th-August-2003, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by Dance Demon
I'm with Sheena on this one. ..............................at a jive night, you don't really think about how young or old the person you are dancing with is. you just enjoy the dance

:hug: :hug: :kiss: :kiss:

:hug: (and that one's for saving my shoes from getting scruffed with Adam's caveman move on Sunday - you're so strong Mr Demon!:D )

Dance Demon
20th-August-2003, 09:40 PM
Aw shucks Sheena:blush: ......i couldn't have you getting those lovely silver shoes all scuffed now could I:D
Had great fun on Sunday with you an' all the maD crew.....Laughter keps you young so I'm told, so I'm back to being a teenager again after Sunday:D :D
:hug: :kiss:

Bill
25th-August-2003, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Franck
Very interesting question, and it seems that despite discussions in the 'Youngsters' thread, Ceroc / Modern Jive are very successful at attracting a younger audience, with (so far) 85% of us started in their 20s...
Interesting ..............I think the perception is that most clubs have a majority of dancers who are well into their 30's and older. The current poll result shows that it's split almost equally between under and over 30.

As a taxi dancer I see the completed membership forms and my own view is that most new members are over 30 ( and of course a few women leave off their age !).

Franck.......................... given your penchant for computers and technology you must be able to give an exact breakdown of the age range of all the people who have ever been to a Ceroc class up here. What would be equally interesting is to see if there is any correlation between age and those who stay around for more than a few months.

Tazmanian Devil
8th-October-2003, 12:06 AM
I started dancing just after my 22nd birthday and have never looked back went from 1 night a week to 2 then 3-4 now Igo when ever possible!! Totally addicted:kiss: :hug:

thewacko
11th-October-2003, 08:14 PM
interesting to see over 40% of the poll so far are over 30 when they started, nice to know not all cerocers are young. maybe someone ought to tell ceroc headquarters who seem to be slightly ageist!

Lou
6th-July-2004, 07:10 PM
:wink: I dug back... This might help your latest research, Gordy....

Rhythm King
6th-July-2004, 08:41 PM
My introduction to Ceroc was originally in the mid 80s. My then girlfriend belonged to a women's voluntary organisation with a proud history of service, called the FANYs (First Aid Nursing Yeomanry), now called the Princess Royal's Volunteer Corps. They used to have a Mess Summer Ball each year, and would have dancing classes in a particular style, for several weeks before the event. Well one year a certain Mr Cronin was brought in to show his new style of French jive dancing.
We enjoyed it so much a number of us went to classes off the Charing Cross Road. Unfortunately I was posted away from London and it took me 12 years to get back into the MJ scene.

TheTramp
7th-July-2004, 12:55 AM
Interesting ..............I think the perception is that most clubs have a majority of dancers who are well into their 30's and older. The current poll result shows that it's split almost equally between under and over 30.
Hmmm... Of course. That only shows when people 'started'. Of the people who started when they were under 30, how many are now over 30? And of course, all the people who were over 30 already, are now even more advanced in years!!

Trampy

Sparkles
7th-July-2004, 01:20 AM
Hmmm... Of course. That only shows when people 'started'. Of the people who started when they were under 30, how many are now over 30? And of course, all the people who were over 30 already, are now even more advanced in years!!

Trampy

:yeah:
I was just about to make that point too!

Lou
8th-July-2004, 07:39 AM
Yup - but I thought it would be useful to see whether the age being targetted for Ceroc advertising was typically the right age for when people were likely to start - if you see what I'm trying to say... :D

I need more coffee! And a brain! In the meantime someone needs to start yet another poll..... ;)

TheTramp
8th-July-2004, 09:46 AM
Yup - but I thought it would be useful to see whether the age being targetted for Ceroc advertising was typically the right age for when people were likely to start - if you see what I'm trying to say... :D
Hiya Lou....

Wasn't saying about your poll. Merely responding to Bill's comment about the fact that the poll results show that the people at dancing are equally split. And trying to say that what age they were when they started isn't really an indication of what age they are now.

Take Franck for example.... although, I know he's a bit of an extreme case. He'd have ticked the "22-25" box I believe. But he's now in the 30-34 range (just). I'd have ticked the 26-29 box, but I'm now in the 35-39 range ( :tears: ).

Trampy

Lou
8th-July-2004, 10:07 AM
:tears: You & me both, Steve!

Mmmmm..... One First Great Western Double Expresso later! :D

Gordon J Pownall
19th-July-2004, 03:30 PM
:tears: You & me both, Steve!

Mmmmm..... One First Great Western Double Expresso later! :D

Et moi aussi..... :blush:

Dazzler
1st-October-2006, 02:34 PM
i started dancing when i was 23...well still am for another week anyway! but i must admit i am fully hooked and do not intend to give it up in the future so maybe in years to come i will be one of the guys looking back and thinking there used to be more younger ppl :whistle: :rofl: .... fact is i have noticed a slight increase in young ppl in inverness (well younger females anyway) but i just cannot believe ppl would pass it up if they saw it!...perhaps another busking night in the foundry bar up here would be in order?...arouse some interest?...just a thought..if you go out to them then they are more likely to take notice...i know the bar would be happy to have us dancers in again...all we need is the advertising and a set date!...what you think? :cheers:

Beowulf
1st-October-2006, 04:46 PM
33 for me...

then 36 second time round

jive_me
1st-October-2006, 05:01 PM
I was 17 when I first started :na:

xXx:flower:

jiveaddicted
1st-October-2006, 08:53 PM
I was 19 when i started and only wish i had found it when i was 16 been going just over 2 years now and am completely hooked dont think i could ever stop! My worst nightmare now is breaking a leg or something that would stop me dancing!!!!

suzy_X_
1st-October-2006, 09:30 PM
i was 16 when i first started :nice: am totally addicted now!! :D

Andreas
1st-October-2006, 10:53 PM
29, so that'd be yesterday, or last week, or ... ? :blush:

Tessalicious
2nd-October-2006, 01:35 PM
I was 19, just about to go through a tough break-up (I didn't quite realise it yet, but it had been on the cards for a while) and probably wouldn't have stayed sane through it without the dancing to give me something to focus on as well as a way of meeting new people. But I was introduced (obliquely) by my parents, who had both just started it at the age of *censored*.

The likelihood of attracting someone to dance, specifically to MJ, and where they will take it for themselves is not about their age but about their state of mind. Targeting a specific age group or demographic just results in limiting the pool of people in which to find the gems that will become dancers - what's wrong with continuing to spread the word to everyone possible, n the hope that people can decide for themselves whether it would be right for them?

Minnie M
2nd-October-2006, 07:20 PM
Well........... I was 13 when I started dancing 'French Jive' the daddy of Modern Jive, but if you talking about the current version of modern jive, just after my 50th birthday :blush:

Frankie_4711
4th-October-2006, 08:52 AM
I started a couple of weeks after my 35th birthday.

Gav
18th-October-2006, 11:05 AM
I was 19, just about to go through a tough break-up (I didn't quite realise it yet, but it had been on the cards for a while) and probably wouldn't have stayed sane through it without the dancing to give me something to focus on as well as a way of meeting new people. But I was introduced (obliquely) by my parents, who had both just started it at the age of *censored*.

The likelihood of attracting someone to dance, specifically to MJ, and where they will take it for themselves is not about their age but about their state of mind. Targeting a specific age group or demographic just results in limiting the pool of people in which to find the gems that will become dancers - what's wrong with continuing to spread the word to everyone possible, n the hope that people can decide for themselves whether it would be right for them?

Spooky, I was 33 and going through separating from my wife of 13 years. Dancing kept me sane through it.

Although I do wish I'd started 10 years earlier, I was still playing rugby and serrving in the British Army at the time. They would have crucified me!