PDA

View Full Version : New Posts Search Bug?

Stuart M
24th-July-2007, 02:05 PM
Sometimes when clicking on a thread, to be taken to the "most recent unread post", I'm dumped at the start of the thread. Bit annoying with the longer threads.
I was puzzled by this because it seemed to be random, but now I think it's something to do with the Ignore feature. The most recent time it occurred, the only new post was following one posted by someone on my Ignore list.

Anyone else seen this happen?

ducasi
24th-July-2007, 02:31 PM
Sometimes when clicking on a thread, to be taken to the "most recent unread post", I'm dumped at the start of the thread. Bit annoying with the longer threads.
This happens to me – it's nothing to do with ignore lists, as I have an empty ignore list.

I think it might be due to a forum setting, but it's a puzzle, as the forum still knows which posts are read and which aren't (because it still colours the unread posts' icon to differently.) If you're on the right page the "View First Unread" link still works.

It only happens on threads I haven't read for a few weeks – either because they haven't been active, or I just haven't got round to reading them...

It is very, very annoying. :mad:

bigdjiver
24th-July-2007, 03:31 PM
happens to me too. I at first thought it might be me clicking in the wrong place, now I suspect a bug. I read with multiple windows open, which may be too much for the software.

whitetiger1518
24th-July-2007, 03:47 PM
Happens here occasionally too and I generally only use one window so it isn't that...

Anymore suggestions?

Whitetiger

Twirly
24th-July-2007, 03:58 PM
This happens to me – it's nothing to do with ignore lists, as I have an empty ignore list.

It only happens on threads I haven't read for a few weeks – either because they haven't been active, or I just haven't got round to reading them...

It is very, very annoying. :mad:

:yeah:

I just assumed that there is a time limit on what the forum "remembers" for me.

ducasi
24th-July-2007, 05:26 PM
:yeah:

I just assumed that there is a time limit on what the forum "remembers" for me.
It didn't used to be a problem, and it still "remembers" as it puts the different coloured icons only on the new posts that you haven't seen.

DavidY
24th-July-2007, 09:39 PM
It didn't used to be a problem, and it still "remembers" as it puts the different coloured icons only on the new posts that you haven't seen.I just looked back and I noticed it back in March.
I don't know if it's related, but I've found that for some (but not all) threads, the normal "Goto first new post" link doesn't always take me to the 1st unread link, but instead takes me to the very 1st post.I think it's got worse since then (if there's limited memory to store this, then maybe increasing numbers of threads to keep track of, and increasing numbers of users, mean it "forgets" each thread sooner for each user)?

I've seen it on another vBulletin site as well - this other site was doing it a while before though.

ducasi
24th-July-2007, 11:47 PM
The only thing is it's not forgetting anything – it still knows your "First Unread" for each thread, it just doesn't want to take you there. :(