PDA

View Full Version : Catapult – follower's left hip?

happygoldfish
19th-July-2007, 05:59 PM
Ceroc™ has always taught the catapult with the leader's left hand bringing the follower's left hand to her left hip on Count 4.

Does anyone actually do this in freestyle? :what:

It means that the follower's left arm is stretched in front of her on Count 3, is tucked in to her hip on Count 4, and stretched in front of her again on Count 5.

What is the point of that? :confused:

Isn't it a sort of jerky parade-ground dancing-by-numbers? :(

Surely the catapult is much smoother and easier for the the follower if she is encouraged to leave her left arm in the same position (relative to her own body) from the get-hold to the let-go? :nice:

Jamie
19th-July-2007, 06:12 PM
Ceroc™ has always taught the catapult with the leader's left hand bringing the follower's left hand to her left hip on Count 4.

Yes

It means that the follower's left arm is stretched in front of her on Count 3, is tucked in to her hip on Count 4, and stretched in front of her again on Count 5.

It acts IMO as a block so the lady cannot anticipate the spin thus throwing the timing out completely.. similar to "returning the lady to her previous position" in a first move on beat 4.

When following I also use this as a prepare for the spin on beat 5.

Isn't it a sort of jerky parade-ground dancing-by-numbers? :(

I dance every beat of a catapult and have never had any complaints from anyone by being "jerky".. I find it's a very smooth move myself.

Surely the catapult is much smoother and easier for the the follower if she is encouraged to leave her left arm in the same position (relative to her own body) from the get-hold to the let-go? :nice:

Again going to back "when I follow" I tend to use this as a prepare for a spin, I wouldn't be very well prepared to spin on beat 5 had my left hand not been in the correct position.

--

Woo look at me replying to a "technical thread". :waycool:

--

Jamie

Mac
19th-July-2007, 07:06 PM
--

Woo look at me replying to a "technical thread". :waycool:

--

Jamie

Im getting worried about you me lad!!:wink:

nebula
19th-July-2007, 07:59 PM
Has anyone done a catapult where you bring the follower to your right instead of left? Totally unusual, brings the "unexpected" element into the move, keeps the follower on her/his toes (instead of going through the motions...), and looks nice, too!

Freya
19th-July-2007, 09:48 PM
Nebula I hate it! I find it awkward and doesn't look nice because I feel awkward and all wrong!

ducasi
19th-July-2007, 10:37 PM
Nebula I hate it! I find it awkward and doesn't look nice because I feel awkward and all wrong!
What if the man didn't use his left hand and turned more side-on?

MartinHarper
20th-July-2007, 09:23 AM
Has anyone done a catapult where you bring the follower to your right instead of left?

Aye. The default is for the follower to go to the left hand side of the man, so it's rough to lead well. Plus, leading behind my back is always tricky without a mirror.

Gadget
20th-July-2007, 01:59 PM

Yes. Vital part of the move IMHO; the leader's left hand is not so much taken to the follower's left hip as extended to the lead's left to form a barrier - the follower's hand just happens to be there.

The point? Well, it adds control to the move and provides a definite position rather than having a wild sweeping motion that is more likley to (literally) cattapult the follower off in some random direction in a spin. It also encourages the follower to step in-line with you to get a nicer look to the move and set up the next count better.

The actual rotation part comes from the follower stepping from this position infront of you, while turning to face. Then the spin comes by taking the hand around the follower's waist and projecting it away from you (taught to the left, but I prefer infront).

"Normally" I hold this position for a count and rotate with the follower 180º (stepping back while they step forward) before spinning them out - Personally I prefer the look of it. :D

{PS I also block at this position and then swap to mirroring it on the right side, but seldom 'spin out' from here; there are much more interesting things you can do :whistle::wink:}

whitetiger1518
20th-July-2007, 02:14 PM
PS I also block at this position and then swap to mirroring it on the right side, but seldom 'spin out' from here; there are much more interesting things you can do

Mmm Yes - anyone who watches you dance for even 1 track will know that you have your own totally unique way of dancing ;)

Thanks for the dances at Beach Ballroom Gadget:worthy:

Whitetiger

Gadget
20th-July-2007, 02:38 PM
Mmm Yes - anyone who watches you dance for even 1 track will know that you have your own totally unique way of dancing ;)Not that unique - otherwise I wouldn't be able to dance with anyone ;)

whitetiger1518
20th-July-2007, 02:57 PM
Not that unique - otherwise I wouldn't be able to dance with anyone ;)

Ah yes - you use left hand moves, right hand moves and two handed moves ;) - but I should have said your Unique style. Noone else quite has your style of putting them together, just as Absolutely noone has Franck's style - he may have taught everyone else the moves - but only he has that style - see what I mean now??

Whitetiger

robd
20th-July-2007, 04:07 PM
Absolutely noone has Franck's style - he may have taught everyone else the moves - but only he has that style - see what I mean now??

If I put wax on the soles of my shoes I might get an approximation of the footwork :devil:

Freya
20th-July-2007, 04:37 PM
What if the man didn't use his left hand and turned more side-on?

Not quite sure what you mean. Show me on Saturday! :wink: