PDA

View Full Version : What is and isn't allowed in Posts??

Beowulf
18th-July-2007, 10:39 AM
I saw in a thread above that A moderator had edited a post with the comment "please don't use HTML in your posts!"

Now I didn't see the post in question but I will often use HTML in my posts..

Such as <s>THIS</s> <sup>This</sup> or <sub>This</sub> and I have been known to use tables.

However, the way the forum is set up is confusing. On some threads using Strike through or Super/Subscript is fine and on other threads it doesn't work. It would be nice to have a consistent approach forum wide so we all know what does and doesn't work on a thread. And if Sub, Sup and S HTML commands are to be used then some facility to add these into the BBCode would be appreciated (I know you can add in custom BBcode on the Forum software I've used in the past.. I would assume VBulletin isn't any different)

What's the official line on this? What is/isn't allowed? and Why does HTML work in some threads and not others?

ducasi
18th-July-2007, 11:07 AM
I posted that edit comment because on that occasion the HTML embedded in the message broke the layout of the page. It looked like the HTML had been generated by some broken Microsoft tool.

I've seen this a number of times now, and each time have had to clean up the post in question to fix things.

If this were my forum I wouldn't allow any HTML in people's posts.

Trouble
18th-July-2007, 11:34 AM
i really should get my little learning book out because i have no clue what a HTML is.! :confused:

andystyle
18th-July-2007, 11:42 AM
i really should get my little learning book out because i have no clue what a HTML is.! :confused:

Highly Trained Moderator Legend?

....no, wait, that can't be right... :wink:

Keefy
18th-July-2007, 11:50 AM
If this were my forum I wouldn't allow any HTML in people's posts.
:yeah: Traditionally most of the vB hacks/exploits have been HTML hacks. If you really need HTML type functionality then use bbcode.

Beowulf
18th-July-2007, 12:40 PM
:yeah: Traditionally most of the vB hacks/exploits have been HTML hacks. If you really need HTML type functionality then use bbcode.

:yeah: but AFAIK there is not Subscript, Superscript or Strikethrough BBcode as standard on this forum (or ANY forum for that matter.. it needs a simple mod/hack to install)

On my own forum (PHPBB) I do not allow any HTML BUT I have a lot more BBcode templates set up to allow more control over the editing.

Tables , when not properly formatted or unclosed can REALLY mess up the forum layout and I agree with Ducasi on this one.

Still don't understand why some forums/sub forums allow HTML and some don't.

Would be quite happy if they all disabled HTML but would request certain "additions" to the BBCode.. like the items mentioned in my original post. It's not a difficult PHP hack to add.. although I'm not familiar with vBulletin

Lory
18th-July-2007, 12:48 PM

HTML is the code website designers use to make the pages.. we do use it on here, things the 'b' in brackets, to make the font bold etc

If you right click the background of any webpage and select view source, you'll see a whole load of writing in code, that wont make much sense and 'that's the HTML ;)

Beowulf
18th-July-2007, 12:51 PM
you'll see a whole load of writing in code, that wont make much sense

Only understandable to computers... and geeks ;) (who, to be fair, are sub human anyway and even dream in Digital! :whistle: )

Lory
18th-July-2007, 12:58 PM
Only understandable to computers... and geeks ;) (who, to be fair, are sub human anyway and even dream in Digital! :whistle: )

I did a evening class a few years back and got my level 2 in HTML (this is when I first started using a computer and just wanted to know the background to stuff) it wasn't until the last two lessons that they even mentioned 'Frontpage' or 'Dreamweaver', which seemed a bit back to front to me :confused: As the teacher explained that he only ever used HTML to tweak stuff! :rolleyes:

Beowulf
18th-July-2007, 01:03 PM
I use HTML Kit (http://www.htmlkit.com/) which is basically a glorified notepad with formatting. I design all my webpages, CSS scripts and PHP code using this in raw HTML, (or CSS , PHP obviously) and then test, tidy, and upload.

I prefer to write webpages myself from scratch rather than use these WYSIWYG editors.. which IMHO make messy code.

Keefy
18th-July-2007, 01:06 PM
On my own forum (PHPBB) I do not allow any HTML BUT I have a lot more BBcode templates set up to allow more control over the editing.
It's not a difficult PHP hack to add.. although I'm not familiar with vBulletinvB is basically a grown up version of PHPBB, if you saw the vB CP you would be at home :nice:

Beowulf
18th-July-2007, 01:24 PM
vB is basically a grown up version of PHPBB, if you saw the vB CP you would be at home :nice:

:rofl: for "grown up" I read that as "more expensive" :D :wink:

am currently setting up what will be my 5th.. no sorry 6th Forum using PHPBB, know my way round the inner workings of the php code now too.. which is useful for custom hacks ;) :waycool:

happygoldfish
18th-July-2007, 01:51 PM

I think HTML instructions are those in angle-brackets ( < and > ), as opposed to square brackets ( [ and ] ).

For example, <b> and </b> as opposed to the and which this forum automatically gives you when you click the "Bold" button.

If you right click the background of any webpage and select view source, you'll see a whole load of writing in code, that wont make much sense and 'that's the HTML ;)

On my computer, even if I don't select "view source", I still see a lot of writing on this forum that isn't in code and won't make much sense. :confused:

Is there something wrong with my computer? :blush:

Stuart M
18th-July-2007, 01:57 PM
I use HTML Kit which is basically a glorified notepad with formatting. I design all my webpages, CSS scripts and PHP code using this in raw HTML, (or CSS , PHP obviously) and then test, tidy, and upload.

vB is basically a grown up version of PHPBB, if you saw the vB CP you would be at home :nice:

:rofl:

Thanks for the Good Morning Vietnam flashbacks guys!

Excuse me, sir. Seeing as how the V.P. is such a V.I.P., shouldn't we keep the P.C. on the Q.T.? 'Cause if it leaks to the V.C. he could end up M.I.A., and then we'd all be put out in K.P.

Yliander
18th-July-2007, 02:59 PM
I use HTML Kit (http://www.htmlkit.com/) which is basically a glorified notepad with formatting. I design all my webpages, CSS scripts and PHP code using this in raw HTML, (or CSS , PHP obviously) and then test, tidy, and upload. I use a niftly little program called 1st page - pretty coloured code is much easier to read

I prefer to write webpages myself from scratch rather than use these WYSIWYG editors.. which IMHO make messy code.when I did my html course way back when we were taught use the WYSIWYG editors if want to but you will get cleaner and more stable code writing it yourself...

Keefy
18th-July-2007, 03:01 PM
:rofl:Thanks for the Good Morning Vietnam flashbacks guys!:blush: The really sad thing is that we understand each other. I'll ask him out on a date next :flower:

Beowulf
18th-July-2007, 03:16 PM
I'll ask him out on a date next :flower:

Just make sure you use the Julian Calendar and Sidereal time then... :really:

JCB
18th-July-2007, 03:30 PM
Anyone use "Arachnophilia"?
Is "HTML Kit" similar?

:confused:

Beowulf
18th-July-2007, 04:55 PM
Anyone use "Arachnophilia"?
Is "HTML Kit" similar?

:confused:

I used to use this and it's very similar. but I preferred HTML-Kit in the long run. Arachnophilia is a decent package to use but HTML-KIT has a few extra features I find really useful.

Jamie
19th-July-2007, 02:10 AM
I'm by no means a geek but if ever I do need a page built, I use nothing but notepad... Can't be arsed with all these programs like "dreamweaver" or whatever else it's called.

Real programmers code in binary :waycool:

bigdjiver
19th-July-2007, 02:20 AM
I'm by no means a geek but if ever I do need a page built, I use nothing but notepad... Can't be arsed with all these programs like "dreamweaver" or whatever else it's called.

Real programmers code in binary :waycool:Hex, once they have acquired a vocabulary.:whistle:

Beowulf
19th-July-2007, 08:49 AM

Hex, once they have acquired a vocabulary.:whistle:

Personally I find ASCII easiest.. And this programmer uses Visual Studio 2005, Delphi 2007 and for some of our legacy dos apps (I mean we have clients who still use those?!!? :eek: :confused: ) C++

We have deadlines..

Although to program our old legacy handheld's we do have to code in Assembly and dump the code as Hex into the flash via RS232. That's "fun" I can tell you :rolleyes:

For all out web stuff it's just plain text. Notepad would do but when you have several hundred pages of HTML, PHP , ASP, etc then a little formatting helps!

straycat
19th-July-2007, 08:59 AM
I use HTML Kit (http://www.htmlkit.com/) which is basically a glorified notepad with formatting. I design all my webpages, CSS scripts and PHP code using this in raw HTML, (or CSS , PHP obviously) and then test, tidy, and upload.

I prefer to write webpages myself from scratch rather than use these WYSIWYG editors.. which IMHO make messy code.

Eclipse for me. A little bit too heavyweight for my liking in many ways, but incredibly extensible for the multitude of languages / markup languages I'm coding in, with a lot of verrry nice features.

Except on the Mac, where I use BBEdit.

Right there with you on the source editing - I can't stand using the likes of Dreamweaver, and prefer full control over the HTML / CSS etc.

Mind you - just downloading HTML-Kit now, to give it a whirl. Looks good...

Beowulf
19th-July-2007, 09:52 AM
Mind you - just downloading HTML-Kit now, to give it a whirl. Looks good...

Call me lazy.. but the HTML-TIDY function of HTML-KIT is fantastic. Especially when you're trying to track down a missing Table end tag or something :blush: :waycool:

bigdjiver
19th-July-2007, 10:16 AM
Personally I find ASCII easiest.. And this programmer uses Visual Studio 2005, Delphi 2007 and for some of our legacy dos apps (I mean we have clients who still use those?!!? :eek: :confused: ) C++

We have deadlines..

Although to program our old legacy handheld's we do have to code in Assembly and dump the code as Hex into the flash via RS232. That's "fun" I can tell you :rolleyes:

For all out web stuff it's just plain text. Notepad would do but when you have several hundred pages of HTML, PHP , ASP, etc then a little formatting helps!I was most and best trained by an MSc in computing. He used to satirise low level programmers "Matchsticks. You need matchsticks. You can build anything with matchsticks."

He wa all for solving a problem with the most high level language you could use, and that often a problem could be solved with one word thingmy, where thingmy was the program that someone else already wrote to solve the problem. He was looking for his holy grail, the one program that would solve most of his problems. It would be called "PayMe".

ducasi
19th-July-2007, 11:16 AM

I use Dreamweaver to help me manage web sites – it's good for moving things around and making sure all the links still work, then sync-ing by ftp back to the host server.

Can't do that with Notepad.

For the actual HTML creation, I'll either use Dreamweaver if I have it open, or 'vi'. :)

straycat
19th-July-2007, 11:20 AM
Call me lazy.. but the HTML-TIDY function of HTML-KIT is fantastic. Especially when you're trying to track down a missing Table end tag or something :blush: :waycool:

Checking it out now. Any idea if there's any plugins to tie it into the MS source control API?

Beowulf
19th-July-2007, 12:11 PM
Checking it out now. Any idea if there's any plugins to tie it into the MS source control API?

Off the top of my head... (urgh dandruff!)... I don't know !!

JCB
20th-July-2007, 07:34 PM
Used to amend object programs in octal and hex. Does that mean I can become real, (maybe if I can find the Blue Fairy?) :confused:
:D

Beowulf
25th-July-2007, 01:52 PM
Such as <s>THIS</s> <sup>This</sup> or <sub>This</sub> and I have been known to use tables.

Ok so I see now we don't even have those :mad: