PDA

View Full Version : Faux-pas on the dance floor

Pammy
14th-August-2003, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by Sheepman
I should have stayed looking up, as during subsequent conversation, I make a major faux pas, it puts Will's scarf incident in the shade. On a scale of 1 to 10 for cringe factor, this was an 11. And the second (maybe third) most embarrassing moment of my life. :sorry :sorry :sorry

Is this what I'm supposed to pick up on Sheepy???

If so, spill them please :wink:

Px

Sheepman
14th-August-2003, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Pammy
If so, spill them please :wink:
Are you REALLY sure you need to know?

G

Pammy
14th-August-2003, 04:04 PM
Are you REALLY sure you need to know?

Oh yeah baby, it's a matter of life and death...

Px

Sheepman
14th-August-2003, 04:10 PM
Do you promise it won't go any further then?

G

Pammy
14th-August-2003, 04:41 PM
Do you promise it won't go any further then?

Further than where is the question my dear, further than where?? :wink:

But go on anyway !

Px

Sheepman
14th-August-2003, 04:51 PM
Sorry, out of time, maybe tomorrow, but we're away for the w/e, in which case I'll have to check if you still need to know on Monday!

Gx

Pammy
14th-August-2003, 04:57 PM
Sorry, out of time, maybe tomorrow, but we're away for the w/e, in which case I'll have to check if you still need to know on Monday!

Gx

tis ok, I'll s-q-u-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-z-e it out of you tonight at Uxbridge!

Px

Debster
18th-August-2003, 12:11 PM
Aw - come on - let us in too???!!!

what happened?

Sheepman
18th-August-2003, 02:50 PM
No this isn't it, just a little one, but I've been told I got one of the names wrong on my View from the floor (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1276&perpage=10&pagenumber=5) at Bristol. I called Simon "Simon English" but of course his name is "Simon Rich", sorry :blush:

Now I must go away and do some typing . . .

Greg

Pammy
18th-August-2003, 02:55 PM
Oh, don't worry Sheepy. There's a guy I've been calling Norman since I started dancing. Sue told me the other week his names Robert!

Oh well...

Pxx :grin:

Sheepman
18th-August-2003, 04:14 PM
Yes but did you publish it on the web . . .

Oh, of course, you just did!

G x

Pammy
18th-August-2003, 04:44 PM
Yes but did you publish it on the web . . .

Oh, of course, you just did!

G x

Nevermind eh?

Oh well, there's always one...

or in our case, as usual,

there's always two!

Px

Sheepman
18th-August-2003, 05:22 PM
There we were, about 25 of us sitting out for a meal during a glorious evening. The hot air balloons floating above, and the wine flowing below.

Maybe that glass of wine was the problem, but I find that hard to believe. It isn't long before I feel like that awful Jim Carrey character, was the film called "Liar, Liar", anyway, he is incapable of telling a lie.

So when this guy (no names here) asks me "What's it like in the white heat of the advanced?" I reply with something innocuous like "tough." Shutting up there would have been good, but no, I have to ask how he felt his performance went, (I think he got through to the semi-final of the intermediate competition), I follow this up by saying "I have seen you dance with better partners though."

Suddenly it seemed to all go quiet, and it was as though time was stretching. It doesn't take long for me to realise that the attractive lady sitting next to him was his dance partner, and opposite was her husband. How was I to know she had changed costumes since the competition, so as to confuse me? :what:
In those seconds that stretched on and on, he says "This is my partner," and I grovel with an apology, adding a pathetic "I didn't know you were there."
Shutting up there would have been good, :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:
but no, I have to try and add an explanation.

Now to be honest (what else could I be?) I watched this couple a little during the competition, and they are both competent dancers, but there was no "wow" factor. I have also seen this guy compete once with a real natural dancer, who is so smooth and nimble that there aren't many better dancers out there, but it doesn't seem appropriate to mention this, so I just keep digging; "It seemed to me that there was a lack of dynamism out there, were you suffering from nerves, is this the first time you've competed?"
He replies "No, we were at the Hammersmith competition." :sick:

I can now see no way out, so I mumble more apologies, ask the lady if she'll dance with me later, and shrink behind the friend next to me. I think most of the heat is now being generated by me, rather than the setting sun.

If you're thinking, "that doesn't seem so bad." I have a feeling that these things don't seem anywhere near as bad in black and white as they do in real life. :blush:

My chance came late on during the evening's dancing, I asked her for a dance, half expecting a refusal, our first dance ever, we had a wonderful dance, she is graceful and follows beautifully, and what's more, she smiled throughout!

So that's one way of making sure you don't forget a face, but it's not recommended!

Greg

Divissima
18th-August-2003, 05:35 PM
oh no - poor you :sorry
I tend to go through phases of that kind of gaffe - my full sympathies. :tears:

Pammy
19th-August-2003, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by Divissima
oh no - poor you :sorry
I tend to go through phases of that kind of gaffe - my full sympathies. :tears:

Me to.

My worst was "Have I seen you at this venue before?" to which the guy answered "Yes, I've danced with you every week for the last six months!"...

Well, maybe it's the old changing outfit routine again!

Pxx

TheTramp
19th-August-2003, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Pammy
My worst was "Have I seen you at this venue before?" to which the guy answered "Yes, I've danced with you every week for the last six months!"...I'm not quite that bad!! But I do get it a lot - the 'Yes, we have danced before' thing. With dancing all over the place (I think there's a double meaning there), and being hopeless at remembering names and faces, it used to happen to me on a weekly basis :sorry

Steve

DavidB
19th-August-2003, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by TheTramp
With dancing all over the place, and being hopeless at remembering names and faces, it used to happen to me on a weekly basisIt still happens to me. If I know the name first (eg from this forum), I'm usually ok. But if I get introduced to more than one person, I'll have forgotten the names in about 10 seconds.

One of the (many) things I liked at the Perth weekend was that everyone wrote their name on a sticky label, and put it on their shirt. This should be done at every jive weekend and workshop. Then I might find out the names of some people I've been talking to every week for the last few years!

If I could just remember the name of that Chinese girl with long hair I keep dancing with...

David

Chicklet
19th-August-2003, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by DavidB
One of the (many) things I liked at the Perth weekend was that everyone wrote their name on a sticky label, and put it on their shirt.

Sheena wouldn't let me have one:tears: :tears:

Gadget
19th-August-2003, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Chicklet
With your tag line plastered across your chest, I don't think that there was any doubt as to your identity :wink::D

Sheepman
19th-August-2003, 11:50 AM
One of the (many) things I liked at the Perth weekend was that everyone wrote their name on a sticky label, and put it on their shirt. I tried this once at a party, but it didn't take long before people had swapped labels, genders, and I don't know what else.

Perhaps a permanent marker on the forehead would be more reliable :)

Greg

PS Many thanks Franck, this was a gently expiring thread, with hardly anyone noticing it (?), until you split it off into this new thread, just to be sure that everyone would know about my embarrassment!:what:

David Franklin
19th-August-2003, 01:17 PM
If I could just remember the name of that Chinese girl with long hair I keep dancing with...Brings to mind the following joke:

Two senior couples are walking along, wives in front, husbands in back. Herb says to Sam, "Gee, we went to a new restaurant last night and had the best meal ever. Good prices too."

Sam says, "Well, we like to eat out too. What was the name of the restaurant?"

Herb says, "You'll going to have to help me out here a little. What's the name of that pretty flower, smells sweet, grows on a thorny bush?" Sam says, "How about rose?"

"Yes, yes, that's it!" cries Herb, then calls ahead to his wife. "Rose. Hey, Rose. What was the name of the restaurant we ate at last night?" Dave

bigdjiver
19th-August-2003, 04:52 PM
Done all of the forgetting names and getting them wrong.

I danced with a favourite partner and complimented her on her perfume. She said thank you, and I replied "No, thank-you" She looked part-puzzled and part-offended, I hate to think why. She did not say anything, and I did not know what to say either. That was the last time I saw her. She has never been back to that venue.

My last good dance to Peggy Lee's Fever was many years ago now, a superb experience. I said afterwards "It needed a dancer", meaning it as a fullsome compliment. She got whisked off before the conversation continued. Another lovely lady that will not dance with me since.

Basil Brush (Forum Plant)
19th-August-2003, 10:14 PM
At a recent Glasgow party night I reached out to 'collect' my partner's hand after a rather stunning move. I got a good grip of flesh and it wasn't her hand :sorry

Lounge Lizard
19th-August-2003, 10:36 PM
I can relate to getting the names wrong

Teaching at Camber with Alina in front of over 700 dancers I got her name wrong and called her Alana!

Guest teaching at a venue with the organisers wife (don't ask where) I said at end "a big thank you to ..........." for helping me - total silence! - I had got her name wrong.

Teaching at Hastings one night I forgot the names of ALL the taxi dancers and called my teaching partner Kerry - her name is Kellie

I don't think I have ever taught a routine where I remember it all the way through, my regular class waits for the 'error'

Best one

Went out with a lady (dancer) for 6 months, I met her about 9 months after we split, we danced, we chatted, we had a drink - I could not remember her name (still cant)

Music - I can remember everything (well almost) the track the artist the album the BPM etc etc.

Strange how the brain works.

Tiggerbabe
20th-August-2003, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by Chicklet

Oh be still my heart! I thought you were about to say that I wouldn't give you one :sorry

Chicklet
20th-August-2003, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by Sheena
Oh be still my heart! I thought you were about to say that I wouldn't give you one :sorry :rofl:
I guess when we are ready to take our relationship to that level babe, we'll just *know* and not be able to resist!

Bet we get our own thread for it too!!!!:hug:

PS I have forgiven you cos my whole proper name wouldn't have fitted on the sticker anyway !

Dance Demon
20th-August-2003, 05:12 PM
So Chickie........not at the jelly crocodile stage yet then? :wink:

Dreadful Scathe
20th-August-2003, 05:28 PM
there'd better be jelly crocodiles at Glasgow Ceroc this evening !!

Chicklet
21st-August-2003, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by Dance Demon
So Chickie........not at the jelly crocodile stage yet then? :wink:
nah, just good friends!:D

Dreadful Scathe
21st-August-2003, 04:21 PM

If I could just remember the name of that Chinese girl with long hair I keep dancing with...

I actually thought that Lily was from Trinidad and Tobago, based on her flag avatar until i discovered it was actually a dive flag :) (they're very similar :) )

LilyB
21st-August-2003, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
I actually thought that Lily was from Trinidad and Tobago .......
????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rofl: :cheers: