PDA

View Full Version : Should I or not?

dc0u
5th-July-2007, 02:41 AM
Hi all,
Totally new to this, haven't even been to any lessons but I have been thinking about going. Thing is - I am a bloke on his own, looking for something different to do. Quite shy and not that confident - don't know if this could be for me or not.
Is it worth a try - any other blokes out there been on their own?
Went along tonight but chickened out at the last moment. Any advice would be appreciated as to what exactly its like!!

bigdjiver
5th-July-2007, 03:47 AM
Hi all,
Totally new to this, haven't even been to any lessons but I have been thinking about going. Thing is - I am a bloke on his own, looking for something different to do. Quite shy and not that confident - don't know if this could be for me or not.
Went along tonight but chickened out at the last moment. Any advice would be appreciated as to what exactly its like!!"being given the freedom of the candy store" as someone said to me.

One of the reasons I am such an advocate of Moden Jive is the way I have seen it transform peoples confidence and enjoyment of life. It might take more than one visit to "get it", but when you do it is a glorious ride.

straycat
5th-July-2007, 06:31 AM

I started off by going on my own - to this day, I'm not sure what prompted me, as I was utterly petrified of dancing. In a nutshell, it was one of the best decisions I've taken.

What is it... it's partner dance made accessible and easy to learn, in a friendly environment. I'd say go along - the worst thing that could happen is that you don't like it. There is absolutely no need to bring a partner, and the format of the lessons make sure of this.

Andy McGregor
5th-July-2007, 07:30 AM
I run classes and teach. I see people exactly like dc0u at our classes. I don't know how many come along and don't pluck up the courage to walk through the door. But many shy people do come in. And those that make it through the door usually love what they find. The lesson format means that you are never put on the spot. From the moment you come in through the door you are looked after. Our new people are asked to wear small flourscent stickers. This means the crew find them and either be their first partner or find them a partner for the beginners lesson. Once you are in the beginners lesson it's all done for you. A teacher shows and tells you how to do the simple moves and, every few minutes we move people around to that you keep getting new partners. You never, ever, have to ask yourself "will he/she say "no" if I ask him/her to dance?". In the lesson you get a new partner "given" to you 20-30 times during the 45 minute lesson as people are moved around.

We really do find that attending a modern jive class helps make people much more confident in social situations. And, very occasionally, they meet that someone special - but don't go dancing expecting to find a new mate, it doesn't always happen. However, you will always make new friends - but in a nice, slightly shallow, way where nobody expects anything of you apart from "hello" and a friendly smile.

happygoldfish
5th-July-2007, 07:33 AM
Went along tonight but chickened out at the last moment. Any advice would be appreciated as to what exactly it's like!!
Welcome, dc0u! :cheers:

"… what exactly it's like!!"? Well, …

Almost all blokes (and most girls) go on their own the first time.

There's a beginners lesson (do not be late for this!) which is about three-quarters dead-easy; and in the lesson, you'll meet most of the girls there (for about a minute each)! :nice:

Then there's a short "freestyle" period in which you can either sit there quivering, or you can ask a few of the girls you've already met to dance. Or just chat to them.

And, after that, if you didn't get the lesson (and bloke beginners always find it more difficult than girls, because we have to lead, and therefore think!), there's a more-or-less compulsory revision class for you.

It's quite highly organised up to that point, so being shy :blush: isn't really relevant. And there isn't really any time to get worried (confused, :confused: yes, worried, :( no).

After that is the main freestyle. Now you're free to be shy. :blush: Some beginner blokes stay and dance, some stay and chat (and there's a bar), and some go home and recover, and come back next week.

It's all fun!

Was there a specific reason why you "chickened out"? Too young, too old, too difficult, too crowded … ?

Anyway, don't dress too smart! Do wear a clean shirt! Don't worry! And be yourself :cool: (or, if that's not a good idea, be someone else ;) )!

See you there! :nice:

bigdjiver
5th-July-2007, 10:20 AM
... And be yourself :cool: (or, if that's not a good idea, be someone else ;) )!...One of my fave quotes: "If you can't enjoy yourself, enjoy somebody else."

Trouble
5th-July-2007, 10:43 AM
One of my fave quotes: "If you can't enjoy yourself, enjoy somebody else."

:yeah:

welcome to you.....

go get stuck in, its the best way, if you dont like it, dont go back but im almost positive you will be hooked as bad as the rest of us are. xx

ducasi
5th-July-2007, 11:29 AM
"Should I or not?"

Definitely not. You could end up like me. I never have any free time anymore as I'm always out dancing, travelling around the country, meeting lots of friends I never had before. Doesn't a boy deserve a rest now and again? :sick:

Way too much fun for a shy guy like me. OK, so maybe I'm not as shy as I used to be... Dancing can do that to a fellow, but is that a good thing?

Better give up all thoughts of dancing before you get sucked in to the most addictive fun time you can possibly have!

Gadget
5th-July-2007, 12:46 PM
not much more to add...

I went on my own and has boosted my self-confidence (not that I was particularly shy to begin with ;)), I meet lots of people, I have met some new friends, it keeps me fit, I like the music {:whistle:}, and it's great fun :D

I would advise you to wear something you feel comfortable in, shoes that don't stick too much are advisable as well. And a quick scoosh of sprey & mint before you start will make you a bit more apealing ;)

The format of the evening is such that you can dip in and out of it as you see fit - you don't need to go every week and you can leave whenever you feel like it... I just never feel like it :D

Hope you join in :cheers:

dc0u
5th-July-2007, 09:32 PM
Thanks for all the advice. But then again - you'd all say that it's great wouldn't you or you wouldn't be on this forum!

Definatly gonna give it a go next week, hopefully this time I'll make it past the front doors!

Rogboy
5th-July-2007, 09:43 PM
Hello I'm new to the Forum but I will say that if you'd have asked me 7 weeks ago that I'd be dancing and having a ball, I would have said you were mental!
It is daunting, for me I'm a big guy (6ft 17stone), shy, (:blush: )very concious of my size, and being the only asian looking chap in a hall I stood out like a sore thumb!
But everyone was lovely at Kidderminster and at Worcester (Bossa Nova) and I have a great time with a lot of nice people.

Go for it, get thru the dorrs and you'll love it! :waycool:

Thetruth
6th-July-2007, 06:17 AM
Stop making excuses and give it a go. What have you got to lose? Lonely nights, few friends, resting and more resting, watching tv? There are those of us that eat sleep and drink dancing, and there are the ones who love to dance socially, no pressure to get better but masters of a fun time on the dance floor! I was lucky and got introduced to a dance teacher and she showed me the light!! I praise anyone who has the courage to give it a go even if you paralysed with fear. You can always ask if it is okay to watch, so there is no pressure. Watch all the smiling faces and laughter between people that have barely met! And you'll soon see that you could fit in no problems! If you need a change in your life then dancing will give you all that you maybe looking to find. Good luck in getting through the doors...............the rest is easy!!

Andy McGregor
6th-July-2007, 07:13 AM
:yeah:

welcome to you.....

go get stuck in, its the best way, if you dont like it, dont go back but I'm almost positive you will be hooked as bad as the rest of us are. xx .. and Trouble used to by shy? :really:

I was thinking about this thread and did a survey of our lesson last night (Nigel Anderson, one of the best teachers in the UK, was taking the lesson so I was joining in as a student). I estimated that about half of the people in the hall had come on their own. Some of the people there are still a bit shy in their nature too. But it didn't seem to affect their enjoyment of the night. During the lesson they did exactly the same as everybody else and learnt a routine. During the freestyle some people never got off the floor and some people spent more time chatting. Others seemed to enjoy watching as well as dancing. Nobody seemed out of place or uncomfortable or stood out as awkward or shy.

My advice is to go along to a class the next night you are free, don't delay, just do it :clap:

Gadget
6th-July-2007, 08:26 AM
You can always ask if it is okay to watch, so there is no pressure.
:yeah: I did that on my first night - just watched. Joined in the next week, and from then on wondered why I hadn't done something like this before.

Good luck :)

happygoldfish
6th-July-2007, 08:43 AM
don't know if this could be for me or not.
Is it worth a try … ? Any advice would be appreciated as to what exactly it's like!!

Stop making excuses and give it a go … Lonely nights, few friends, … There are those of us that eat sleep and drink dancing, … I praise anyone who has the courage … You can always ask if it is okay to watch, … Good luck in getting through the doors...............the rest is easy!!

dc0u, ignore this!

You're completely reasonable in being sceptical about whether it's for you. You do not have to take a leap of faith!

If the advertising is unconvincing, that's Ceroc's fault, not yours! :(

You've taken the sensible step of asking what it's like before trying it – much as most people would do before going to a new play or a new restaurant.

Thanks for all the advice. But then again - you'd all say that it's great wouldn't you or you wouldn't be on this forum!

Exactly. Ignore all the encouragement from the addicts :whistle:. Decide on the facts. :nice:

Definatly gonna give it a go next week … !
Coool! :cool: :cheers:

(btw, let us know afterwards what you think, in hindsight, about the advertising!)

SteveK
10th-July-2007, 07:56 AM
Hi all,
Went along tonight but chickened out at the last moment. Any advice would be appreciated as to what exactly its like!!

I was in an identical situation to you; a bloke on his own looking for something different to do. I'd never done anything like it previously, but fancied learning something new. I must admit that I was really nervous walking in, but everyone was really friendly. I must admit that I had actually intended to only go for five weeks to learn the basics, but enjoyed it so much.....

Missy D
10th-July-2007, 08:08 AM
.. and Trouble used to by shy? :really:

:rofl:

Actually, I was also shy as hadnt been out for over 4 years (supermarkets dont count). A friend introduced me to Ceroc and I remember taking some rescue remedy just to calm my nerves. I kept going so red as soon as anyone talked to me and wanted to run out. 7 years on I have never looked back. I can dance all over the place and dont need to go along with anyone. Probably one of my best decisions in life:D

Stuart M
10th-July-2007, 09:19 AM
"being given the freedom of the candy store" as someone said to me.

It might take more than one visit to "get it", but when you do it is a glorious ride.

I think your friend put it more tastefully, bigdjiver. :rolleyes:

Seriously though, dc0u, just go for it. Remember, every other person in the room, including the teacher, was just as nervous as you when they started.

David Bailey
10th-July-2007, 10:06 AM
Actually, I was also shy
Shy? You? Ms Naked Woman? :rofl:

whitetiger1518
10th-July-2007, 02:35 PM
Go for it! I don't think my colleagues would recognise me at dancing at all (I intend to change this shortly by introducing workmates to MJ) -Dancing seems to bring out a completely nutty, addicted and more brave me out of my soul.

You never know until you go - so go and try it at your local venue.

Where are you based by the way? You might find a few of us about if we know you are coming.

I hope you enjoy it :)

Cheers
Whitetiger

dee
10th-July-2007, 02:43 PM
Shy? You? Ms Naked Woman? :rofl:

Yeah sis!! going on tv naked on a trampoline :whistle:

What's she like

Freudian Hips
10th-July-2007, 04:53 PM
"Should I or not?"

Definitely not. You could end up like me. I never have any free time anymore as I'm always out dancing, travelling around the country, meeting lots of friends I never had before. Doesn't a boy deserve a rest now and again? :sick:

Way too much fun for a shy guy like me. OK, so maybe I'm not as shy as I used to be... Dancing can do that to a fellow, but is that a good thing?

Better give up all thoughts of dancing before you get sucked in to the most addictive fun time you can possibly have!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I can't claim to being shy :blush: but I did go on my own to my first Ceroc night :D Was hooked immediately and am constantly amazed at the number and range of new folk I have met. I really hope you will enjoy it. Good luck!

dave the scaffolder
10th-July-2007, 05:22 PM
I split up from a long term partner and hit the lager and kebabs with a vengance. Single guy on the town every night of the week drinking like an idiot and getting up to no good whatsoever. One of my clients, a roofer, by the name of Richard, God bless you my lovely, took me to a Ceroc class.

I said dancing is for poofs and i wont do it, he said theres a bar if you dont like it, get pissed and i will drive you home at the end of the night.

I walked in and it was wall to wall women, and they were all friendly and nice and encouraged me all evening. Since then i have not stopped dancing

Should you go? You are a fool not to go.

Get in there and start living the dream my man, it is that good they should bottle it and sell it. Take a dance bag with flannel, towel a couple of shirts, never wear vests, too trashy, and dance your little heart out. It will take your life over in a good way.

Good luck to you you lucky lucky man, because you have found the best thing in the world.

XXX XXX DTS Dave:respect::respect::clap::clap:

SteveK
11th-July-2007, 04:04 AM
Good luck to you you lucky lucky man, because you have found the best thing in the world.

So dc0u - have you been dancing yet? How did you find it - did you enjoy your first week?

(Is it just me, or should DTS's response be added to every bit of Ceroc advertising. When faced with such enthusiasm, how could anyone resist?)

Rogboy
12th-July-2007, 04:22 PM
I split up from a long term partner and hit the lager and kebabs with a vengance. Single guy on the town every night of the week drinking like an idiot and getting up to no good whatsoever. One of my clients, a roofer, by the name of Richard, God bless you my lovely, took me to a Ceroc class.

I said dancing is for poofs and i wont do it, he said theres a bar if you dont like it, get pissed and i will drive you home at the end of the night.

I walked in and it was wall to wall women, and they were all friendly and nice and encouraged me all evening. Since then i have not stopped dancing

Should you go? You are a fool not to go.

Get in there and start living the dream my man, it is that good they should bottle it and sell it. Take a dance bag with flannel, towel a couple of shirts, never wear vests, too trashy, and dance your little heart out. It will take your life over in a good way.

XXX XXX DTS Dave:respect::respect::clap::clap:

'nuff said about DTS ....it's sooooo true :respect:

EricD
13th-July-2007, 02:02 PM
... I said dancing is for poofs

YouTube - ballet lessons (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZ5wLPZElFc)

you just can't beat it !

whitetiger1518
18th-July-2007, 02:53 PM
YouTube - ballet lessons (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZ5wLPZElFc)

you just can't beat it !

trying not to have the giggles in work :)

This reminds me of the jibes that Darren Gough got when he was training for SCD.... which swiftly stopped after his colleagues saw the moves that he was allowed to use on his partner :rofl:

Whitetiger

johnnyman
10th-August-2007, 09:07 AM
If you look at my introduction in 'By Way of Introduction' , you'll see some of the reasons that led me to dancing in the first place.

I think you will benefit tremendously from it and I like to think that every negative has a positive in life. The positive of this one is that it will open your eyes to a world you never knew existed - and in some ways, better than the one you are in to some degree at the moment.

I was bullied as a teenager when I wanted nothing more than to be part of the group, but I didn't have the right clothes or love of things that other teenagers had - so I spent a lot of time watching films. The wonderful thing is that I now work in that industry around something I love. It is better to throw yourself into the unknown and see what emerges out of it. Even if nothing does, you can at least hold your head high and say that it was worth trying.

I was told a while back that it is better to say 'yes' to an idea, as 'no' kills it stone dead. Ultimately, it is a decision of the individual. Nobody is made to dance - they choose to do so.

best
johnnyman

purplehyacinth
10th-August-2007, 02:20 PM
dc0u
I can understand why you would want to take the glowing praises of dancing posted by already-addicted dancers with the proverbial pinch of salt, as I can see why you might think they might be biased.

Equally, they could all be telling the truth.

I'll just add this into the equation. YOU WILL NOT KNOW WHETHER CEROC IS WORTH GOING TO FOR YOU UNLESS YOU GIVE IT A TRY.

You have nothing to lose. If you go one night, you only have to pay for that one evening: you don't have to sign up for a full course of umpteen classes at once, so you are entirely free to give it a go and decide for yourself whether you like it or not.

Personally I would suggest that you give it more than just one class before reaching a view on whether you love it or hate it (simply because it can take more than one week for someone to feel comfortable with what they are doing dance-wise and reach a considered view that "this is/is not for me".)

Would strongly suggest you dip your toe in the water and find out for yourself. That is the only way that you will truly find out whether or not ceroc is for you.

And don't worry about going on your own - lots of people do.

(ps if you are feeling nervous about going on your own, consider this. If you are scared of making a prat of yourself and you go on your own, then you can take comfort in the fact that none of your friends are around to see you possibly making a prat of yourself.)

Itsybitsy
10th-August-2007, 02:50 PM

That's true

But there again you have to have a bit of interest or you wouldn't have even found this forum

If you've enough interest to go along to the venue and enough interest to find this forum then you've got to take a deep breath and jump.

The teachers always ask at the start of the lesson if there are any complete beginners and so you will not be expected to know anything and certain aspects of the lesson will be directed at you to help you.

You have to give it a go - otherwise how will you ever know?

Itsybitsy

ducasi
10th-August-2007, 03:58 PM
I'd guess, now more than a month after he first posted, he'll either have done it by now or not.

David Bailey
10th-August-2007, 04:04 PM
I'd guess, now more than a month after he first posted, he'll either have done it by now or not.
Good guess :rofl: :na: