PDA

View Full Version : What happens if you stop dancing?

DavidY
14th-August-2003, 10:57 PM
Since it's now the holiday season. I guess some people will be going away and in some cases taking a break from dancing for a week or two.

The question is - what happens when you next try to dance?

In my case I easily forget how to dance and even after a week away it takes me at least an hour to remember how to dance again, and even then I can't remember all the moves I 'know'.

What do others think? Is it different trying to remember leading compared to following?

David

Gadget
15th-August-2003, 07:53 AM
Never mind for two weeks; it takes me a couple of dances any night to remember how to dance !! :sick:
{That's one reason I try to get in as the DJ plays some "warmup" tracks before the first lesson :sorry:}

Dave Hancock
15th-August-2003, 08:38 AM
Just returned to dancing on Wednesaday after a couple of weeks off due to personal circumstances and found for the first couple of dances I was slightly off-beat. However by about the third or fourth track I was back to 'normal' and was completely off-beat:D

Regarding my following, well I think that was worse than ever which I'm sure more than a few people would agree with. :tears: :tears:

TheTramp
15th-August-2003, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by Dave Hancock
Regarding my following, well I think that was worse than ever which I'm sure more than a few people would agree with. :tears: :tears: Yup! :na:

Steve

Dave Hancock
15th-August-2003, 10:04 AM
But Mr T, we must remember in Ceroc it's always the man's fault:na: :na: :na:

TheTramp
15th-August-2003, 11:02 AM
But Mr T, we must remember in Ceroc it's always the man's fault:na: :na: :na: Not when it comes to your case....

Steve

Dave Hancock
15th-August-2003, 11:05 AM
So I guess it's a case of exceptions to every rule then. Does this make me exceptional:D

TheTramp
15th-August-2003, 12:10 PM
So I guess it's a case of exceptions to every rule then. Does this make me exceptional:D Ummm. Nope. Just an exception.

Steve

Dave Hancock
15th-August-2003, 12:13 PM
:tears: :tears: :tears:

TheTramp
15th-August-2003, 12:14 PM
:tears: :tears: :tears: Come on now. I'm sure that you've been called far worse!! :na:

Steve

DavidB
15th-August-2003, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by TheTramp
Come on now. I'm sure that you've been called far worse!! Someone called him 'Steve' a few days ago.

Dave Hancock
15th-August-2003, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by DavidB
Someone called him 'Steve' a few days ago.

Aye, they're no longer around though:wink:

TheTramp
15th-August-2003, 12:35 PM
Aye, they're no longer around though:wink: After comments like that, neither will David be after this weekend :wink:

Steve

Jon
15th-August-2003, 07:02 PM
After a day of not dancing I'd start getting depressed and feeling stressed. After a week think I'd go stir crazy. Gota have a dose of dancing every other day at least, hmm I'm addicted and I admit it.

Paul F
18th-August-2003, 03:28 PM
Well at the minute im a 6/7 days a week man.

I had previously gone through a stage of this level of regularity but it became.....hmmm......whats the word.....I suppose 'stagnant'. Is this possible???

I guess im feeling this way a bit now after going so regularly. Im not sure whether im burning myself out, burning my wallet up or simply getting (dare i say it) bored with the repetition :eek:

:tears: :tears: Im sorry , cant believe i said that.

Does anyone know what i mean!!!

Chris
18th-August-2003, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by Paul F
Well at the minute im a 6/7 days a week man.

I had previously gone through a stage of this level of regularity but it became.....hmmm......whats the word.....I suppose 'stagnant'. Is this possible???

I guess im feeling this way a bit now after going so regularly. Im not sure whether im burning myself out, burning my wallet up or simply getting (dare i say it) bored with the repetition :eek:

Does anyone know what i mean!!!

Very much so - I found it easy to be going nearly every night for a while but not really progressing - especially when you get into the habit of doing the much the same things with the same people. I found occasionally I needed some outside stimulus, whether going to a totally different venue or even trying a different dance for a while.

On the other hand, an unexpected bonus I've found when not going for a while is that the absence didn't necessarily mean slowing down. My mind is always working overtime with new dance ideas and variations and I think part of the reason (for me anyway) is missing it long enough really to think creatively about it.

Gadget
19th-August-2003, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by Chris
Very much so - I found it easy to be going nearly every night for a while but not really progressing - especially when you get into the habit of doing the much the same things with the same people. I found occasionally I needed some outside stimulus, whether going to a totally different venue or even trying a different dance for a while.
I have to agree - there was the point when I realised all the "Intermediate" moves were made up of bits of beginner moves tagged together to form one longer move. I thought "I know all these moves; I'm not being taught anything new". :sick:
Which wasn't quite true - just because I wasn't learning anything new, didn't mean it wasn't there to be learned. I took about a year 'out', did some Salsa & Marenge {sp?} but found the music very boring after a while and missed Ceroc. {:sad:}
When I returned I was now looking closer at the lessons and trying to get the timing and body position right while developing my own 'style'. I'm still trying, but I am now looking closer for exactly how I can lead moves gently and guide the lady arround the floor with very little room for misinterpritation. I'm also listening to the music more and trying to fit the moves arround the tracks.

The moral of the story is that there is so much more than just learning the moves. :waycool:

Emma
19th-August-2003, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Gadget
The moral of the story is that there is so much more than just learning the moves. :waycool: Amen to that!

Chris
19th-August-2003, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Gadget
The moral of the story is that there is so much more than just learning the moves. :waycool:
Two great quotes come to mind . . .

When you take dancing lessons, you learn steps and you learn steps and you learn steps. It can go on for a long time. And then one day, you just learn to dance, and it is so different.
--Bill Austin

Bad teachers taught me steps, great teachers taught me dancing.
-- (dunno who said it tho :sorry )
On second thoughts, the second one might be true although a little harsh on teachers - one teacher does frequently admonish the class though - "there's no point in learning the moves if you don't have the basics"

Rachel
20th-August-2003, 01:38 PM
Very much so - I found it easy to be going nearly every night for a while but not really progressing - especially when you get into the habit of doing the much the same things with the same people. I found occasionally I needed some outside stimulus, whether going to a totally different venue or even trying a different dance for a while. Totally agree ... sometimes I feel like I'm getting very very stale/boring/unimaginative. But I've found an instant solution whenever I need inspiration. I just watch Lily dancing - works every time!
Rachel

LilyB
26th-August-2003, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by Rachel
... sometimes I feel like I'm getting very very stale/boring/unimaginative. But I've found an instant solution whenever I need inspiration. I just watch Lily dancing - works every time!
Rachel
:sorry :sorry :sorry You're making me blush! :hug:

LilyB

Jon
26th-August-2003, 11:44 AM
When you take dancing lessons, you learn steps and you learn steps and you learn steps. It can go on for a long time. And then one day, you just learn to dance, and it is so different.
--Bill Austin

This quote is so true. Sometimes I feel I'm doing the same steps all the time, but all it takes is a good song and a good partner who will improvise with me. With these 2 things I no longer feel I am doing ceroc I feel that I am dancing and being one with my partner and the music. It's an amazing feeling every single time.

xSalsa_Angelx
22nd-September-2003, 12:17 PM
easy solution ... practice while on holiday,

find a nice bar and good music and dance, show off your wonderful talents to the people that have never danced before and get served free cocktails from the bar staff for being such a star :D

That's what we did while in Portugal last week...... :D

Chris
22nd-September-2003, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by xSalsa_Angelx
easy solution ... practice while on holiday,

find a nice bar and good music and dance, show off your wonderful talents to the people that have never danced before and get served free cocktails from the bar staff for being such a star :D

That's what we did while in Portugal last week...... :D

Quite right! :)

I usually holiday alone which reduces some of my dance options perhaps but when I was in Buenos Aires last year the (tango) performance couple started asking people from the audience up to dance. Not wanting to show myself up with my very limited tango, I led her into ceroc moves to tango music and she followed flawlessly - and thrilled to discover a new dance!

I'm in Rio next week (hols cum work search) and have listed all the salsa bars so I can get a good dance, even if it's not jive.:nice:

Might have to work on it a bit till I get to the free cocktails stage though! :sorry

Saude!
:cheers:

ps (re your avatar name) - are you connected to the Edinburgh salsa teacher/performers called Salsa Angels?

"Dance is more than the steps. Feel the music and dance for sheer joy." ('Shall We Dansu')

xSalsa_Angelx
22nd-September-2003, 12:48 PM
Quite right! :)

I usually holiday alone which reduces some of my dance options perhaps but when I was in Buenos Aires last year the (tango) performance couple started asking people from the audience up to dance. Not wanting to show myself up with my very limited tango, I led her into ceroc moves to tango music and she followed flawlessly - and thrilled to discover a new dance!

I'm in Rio next week (hols cum work search) and have listed all the salsa bars so I can get a good dance, even if it's not jive.:nice:

Might have to work on it a bit till I get to the free cocktails stage though! :sorry

Saude!
:cheers:

ps (re your avatar name) - are you connected to the Edinburgh salsa teacher/performers called Salsa Angels?

No not at all ... was just a name that I came up with as i love salsa and Ceroc. and my boyfriend calls me angel.

ave not been doing ceroc that long either only about 6 months.

SA

Chris
22nd-September-2003, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by xSalsa_Angelx
No not at all ... was just a name that I came up with as i love salsa and Ceroc. and my boyfriend calls me angel. SA

What a lovely nickname! He has excellent taste!!:nice:

Jon L
15th-October-2003, 12:00 AM
:) I must say that a period off the dance floor every so often is no bad thing.

If I dance too much.(I have just done 5 straight nights - if anyone sees me on a dance floor tomorrow (Wed) then get a chain and tow me off!), then I lose creativeness and may end up grinding out moves.

Grinding is not pleasant because it means it doesn't flow, and in my case I can end up dancing mechanically which isn't pleasant for partners.