PDA

View Full Version : Beginner class or intermediate class?

LuLu Baby
4th-July-2007, 01:28 PM
Hi all,

I was told last night that I should be going to the intermediate class now, instead of the beginner class, by a taxi dancer. However, I've only been dancing for about 3 weeks. Would that be too soon to go to the intermediate classes? A lot of people who I've danced with in freestyle etc say I'm a good follower, and they don't just do beginner moves with me.

I'm just not sure, as I don't think I've learnt all the beginner moves yet. But when I'm in the beginner class I am not struggling with it, and I'm just going over what I already know a lot of the time. What do you think?

I just don't think I'm confident enough yet, but I do really enjoy it. I'm confused :confused:

Any advice is appreciated :D

LuLu xx

Twirly
4th-July-2007, 01:34 PM
I'd take the advice of the taxi dancers if I was you. As a follow, you shouldn't be learning the beginner moves anyway - otherwise you won't follow, you'll be doing what you expect i.e. anticipating, which along with back-leading is the number one sin of following.

If you find it too traumatic, you can always head back to the review class (and when they say to do the intermediates, they don't mean drop the beginners class - just the beginners review class). You might like to check with the teacher how complicated the intermediate class is likely to be too - my first one was horribly complicated with lots of arm-twisty half-nelson stuff. Try and find an easyish one.

Good luck!

Yliander
4th-July-2007, 01:49 PM
It really comes down to what you are comforatable - I stayed in beginners long after others told me I was ready for intermediate - and I am glad I did - I entered intermediate classes sure I knew my stuff so not so much stress.

suspect this is a little less of an issue here as there is less focus on skills and technique here in a normal social class than in Aus.

As Twirly said - check out the intermediate class - if you find it's not for you yet - you can always head back to the review session

Good luck and remember the most important thing is to :D

Lynn
4th-July-2007, 02:27 PM
Do they demo the intermediate routine before the class? We do that here and it means those at the 'in between' stage can have a look at what is going to be taught and decide whether they want to give it a go, or prefer to stay in the revision class that week.

Remember there is nothing wrong with trying the intermediate, deciding that you're not ready for it yet, and going back to the revision class the next week. There is no rush, learn at your own pace and do what feels comfortable for you.

Sporty Jeff
4th-July-2007, 02:49 PM
Hi all,

I was told last night that I should be going to the intermediate class now, instead of the beginner class, by a taxi dancer. However, I've only been dancing for about 3 weeks. Would that be too soon to go to the intermediate classes? A lot of people who I've danced with in freestyle etc say I'm a good follower, and they don't just do beginner moves with me.

I'm just not sure, as I don't think I've learnt all the beginner moves yet. But when I'm in the beginner class I am not struggling with it, and I'm just going over what I already know a lot of the time. What do you think?

I just don't think I'm confident enough yet, but I do really enjoy it. I'm confused :confused:

Any advice is appreciated :D

LuLu xx
As a TD myself I have often advised lady beginners to move onto the intermediate class and give it ago if I thought they were allowing themselves to be lead and followed a lead well. You are probable doing that and the Taxi thought you would benefit from the intermediate lesson. If however you feel that your not confident enough yet stay in the beginners for another week or two. You pay your entrance fee its your choice. Most beginner ladies know when they have had enough or the refresher class. Good luck

MartinHarper
4th-July-2007, 04:58 PM
I was told last night that I should be going to the intermediate class now, instead of the beginner class, by a taxi dancer.

I recommend continuing to do the beginner class as well as the intermediate class, if it is possible to do both, rather than abandoning the beginner class for the intermediate class.

JCB
4th-July-2007, 05:29 PM
...if it is possible to do both, rather than abandoning the beginner class for the intermediate class.

:yeah:
In the beginner class, do not watch the stage, and check whether you are truly following, (& not going on "autopilot") by momentarily closing your eyes: this will help you concentrate on feeling the lead (a little trick I learned on this forum!:worthy:)

David Bailey
4th-July-2007, 07:30 PM
Yeah - do both, and see how comfortable you feel. If you don't like the intermediates, stick with the beginners and review classes until you do.

I wouldn't take the word of a taxi dancer as gospel, either - do what you feel comfortable with, and don't let anyone push you into doing anything you don't want to yet.

LuLu Baby
4th-July-2007, 08:09 PM
Thankyou all for your advice :flower:

They do demo the intermediate routine before the class, therefore I could watch it and see if it looks like I could manage it or not. However, it may look complicated but when I'm learning it it might not be as bad, so could maybe just give it a shot and see how it goes. Like a lot of you said, even if I try it and it's too hard, then I can go back to the beginners review class next time. I'm not going to know if I'll manage unless I try I suppose. Or I might keep doing the beginners review class for another couple of weeks, and then I will hopefully have more confidence. I will keep doing the beginner class whatever I decide though, it's just choosing between the beginner review class and the intermediate class :confused:

I will let you know what I decide to do, thanks again :D

LuLu xx

Gadget
5th-July-2007, 08:30 AM
Don't be put off by what looks difficult: just remember what it looked like when you saw people dance the beginner's routine & how you can move through it now.

There is a lit of greif on this forum about folk moving up too soon - personally, I think that it's nonsense (and if you're actually asking, then I would say you are ready :flower: ) - it's more about self confidence than anything else. If the taxi has beleif in your abilities, it can't hurt to try*.

{* erm... depending on the moves the teacher and your leads of course :wink::whistle::D}

LuLu Baby
5th-July-2007, 03:44 PM
Thanks Gadget :flower:

I'm going to go tonight, and I'll do the beginners class. I will then watch the demo for the intermediate routine, and decide then whether I feel confident enough or not to give it a go. I agree that self confidence plays a huge part, which I don't have a lot of.

I really enjoy dancing, so whatever I decide is fine, as long as I enjoy it right? :D Thats the most important thing for me.

LuLu xx

Lee Bartholomew
5th-July-2007, 04:25 PM
Not everyone in the intermediate class can get the routine. Infact from experiance quite often a vast majority cant get to grips with intermediate routines despite them attending several months, so really don't worry that you might not get it. If you don't you wont be alone.

I would sugest the same as the others. Do the beginners classes, then just try the intermediates. Even if you struggle and dont get it, it doesn't mean you should be there, it just means, like the rest of us, you are learning.

I was forced in to the intermediates class on my first day dancing as there was not enough men so I didn't have that dilema.

Let us know how you get on.

LuLu Baby
5th-July-2007, 04:51 PM
Woodface, that must have been scary on your first day dancing!

Thanks for the reply :flower:

I will let you all know how I get on :hug:

LuLu xx

Lee Bartholomew
5th-July-2007, 04:53 PM
Woodface, that must have been scary on your first day dancing!

Thanks for the reply :flower:

I will let you all know how I get on :hug:

LuLu xx

Not as scary as the old lady in beginners class that was giving me the eye. Was one of the reasons I agreed

Rogboy
5th-July-2007, 09:57 PM
I've been going 7 weeks and am moving up to the Internemediates next week. Feel a little intimadated, but I guess I can mix it up and switch between the Beginners and Intermediates.
People should be allowed to go at their own pace and not get ''forced' or coerced into stepping up when they don't feel confident.

LuLu Baby
6th-July-2007, 07:58 PM
Not as scary as the old lady in beginners class that was giving me the eye. Was one of the reasons I agreed

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Rogboy, good luck with moving up to the intermediates, just take it easy and go at your own pace :hug:

Hey all,

Well last night I watched the intermediate routine and thought it looked really hard so went to the beginners review class instead. However, the review class was too easy. I think I'm stuck in between now! :confused:

The taxi dancer said I should be doing the intermediate class now and I could manage it. He has danced with me in the freestyle too and says I'm good. He kept me back after the review class last night and showed me one of the moves in the intermediate routine that I thought looked hard, and I done it no problem.

I think I will probably give the intermediate class a go next week, and if it's too difficult I can go back to the review class.

I am really enjoying ceroc, it's the best thing I've ever chosen to do, and it's so addictive! :clap:

Thanks everyone for all your advice :flower:

LuLu xx

EricD
7th-July-2007, 03:13 AM
... maybe do the intermediate class 1-on-1 with a good leader you 'get on with', instead of 'rotating' up and down the lines with all and sundry ?
Most would be flattered if you asked. Maybe an off-duty taxi ?
Someone you are happy to lead you through intermediate moves in freestyle ?
Some teachers/venues may not like a line of 'fixed couples', but it is a good way to get started in intermediates ...

LuLu Baby
9th-July-2007, 02:53 PM
Thanks for the reply Eric, much appreciated :flower:

I'm not sure if they will allow me to do the intermediate routine with only one person. However, I can ask. I'm sure that would help, thanks for the suggestion :hug:

LuLu xx

Jamie
9th-July-2007, 03:04 PM
Thanks for the reply Eric, much appreciated :flower:

I'm not sure if they will allow me to do the intermediate routine with only one person. However, I can ask. I'm sure that would help, thanks for the suggestion :hug:

LuLu xx

Hi LuLu, no need to ask anyone honey, just make sure you stay out of the way of rotation so the teacher doesn't get you mixed up with those wanting to move around. I've helped some beginner ladies who've asked me to do their first lesson as a "fixed couple" and you'll be suprised how fast you pick it up.

Make sure you ask someone who regularly attends intermedate lessons and "get's them" because if you're with a lead who is struggling a little with the routine, you'll start thinking "it's all my fault!!!" and will probably be put off.

Good luck honey!

Jamie x

LuLu Baby
9th-July-2007, 06:44 PM
Aw thanks for the reply Jamie, thanks for the advice :hug:

I will let you all know how it goes. I'm going tomorrow night, can't wait! :awe:

LuLu xx

sway
9th-July-2007, 07:11 PM
I've been going 7 weeks and am moving up to the Internemediates next week. Feel a little intimadated, but I guess I can mix it up and switch between the Beginners and Intermediates.
People should be allowed to go at their own pace and not get ''forced' or coerced into stepping up when they don't feel confident.

dont feel like you are being pushed up (it linzi from kidderminster by the way) you are a very good dancer and you dance like you are and intermed dancer so have a go but if you dont like it stay down stairs and do the beg class next week ill be there so grab me for a dance ok:flower:

purplehyacinth
10th-July-2007, 06:29 AM
Sorry if this is too late to be of any use.

I'd say give the Intermediates class a bash. Don't worry if the routine looks scary - the question is not how hard it looks, but how hard it is for you to follow!

If you are a good follower, then odds are that you will probably have been doing quite a few of the "intermediate" moves in freestyle anyway. Once leaders find a good follow, even if a relative newcomer, they generally don't restrict themselves to the beginners' moves!

Remember - it's not about learning the moves or the routines (unless you want to go on and dance as a leader) - if you are sticking with dancing as a follower for the moment, all you need to learn to do is how to follow the moves.

Hope it goes well.

Almost an Angel
10th-July-2007, 09:12 AM
... maybe do the intermediate class 1-on-1 with a good leader you 'get on with', instead of 'rotating' up and down the lines with all and sundry ?
Most would be flattered if you asked. Maybe an off-duty taxi ?
Someone you are happy to lead you through intermediate moves in freestyle ?
Some teachers/venues may not like a line of 'fixed couples', but it is a good way to get started in intermediates ...

:yeah:

I often advise beginners to do this especially when just moving up to the intermediates - As long as you make it clear you are not in the rotation - staying over to one side or the back the teacher shouldn't object.

As Jamie and EricD said it's a great way to build confidence in yourself.

I also advise couples who want to advance to the intermediates together to do this - especially when I feel they are not getting anything out of the repeat class - even if they stay together out of rotation and only get one of the moves it's one more than they would have learnt in the repeat class.

Angel xx

JCB
10th-July-2007, 01:54 PM
- it's not about learning the moves or the routines (unless you want to go on and dance as a leader) - if you are sticking with dancing as a follower for the moment, all you need to learn to do is how to follow the moves.
:yeah: (my emphasis)
If you have been told that you are a competent follower by a taxi, then get yourself in to that intermediate class! Here are two good reasons:
1) too long spent on the same 4 moves in beginners' review class, and you will get bored, and go into autopilot, ( a very bad habit, in case you hadn't noticed the few posts scattered on here complaining about it!:D)
2) A good follower who doesn't know the moves is much more helpful to an intermediate leader than a follower who knows the moves, and goes into autopilot, or even "smooths over" the rough edges of a sloppy lead. My husband is a newbie in intermediate class. He hates it when a new move is being taught, and he thinks he has led it correctly. But then, (cue ominous music), "one lady on"...., and he finds out that lady no.1 was on "autopilot", and he has to try to catch up with the follower who is actually following what he is leading :sad:
Please bring your sense of humour with you. Lurking in the intermediate lines is the occasional macho, face-saving reaction: the castigating look that says without words: "the last lady followed just fine! What is wrong with you." Ignore him! (Better yet, picture him in a grass skirt and coconut-shell bra) I am developing a belief in Karma: as often as not, the next leader floats me through the complex move as though I'd practised for years. :worthy:

happygoldfish
10th-July-2007, 02:15 PM
(Better yet, picture him in a grass skirt and coconut-shell bra)

Is it only us goldfish who can't read words in LemonChiffon colour? :o

whitetiger1518
10th-July-2007, 02:52 PM
Is it only us goldfish who can't read words in LemonChiffon colour? :o

Nope none of us has exray eyes :) Try highlighting the line and then it shows up almost as good as black and white ;)

Whitetiger

happygoldfish
10th-July-2007, 05:01 PM
My goldfish-friendly computer highlights everything in yellow, so that just makes it worse! :(

:sick: (And everything that isn't highlighted in yellow is highlighted in white!) :sick:

LuLu Baby
11th-July-2007, 01:36 PM
Hey all, and thanks for the replies and advice :hug:

I went to ceroc last night, and gave the intermediate class a try. It looked hard, but I remembered what it was like wathcing the beginner routine for the first time and how hard that looked, and it's so easy now. I was never going to know if I could do it or not if I didn't take that first step. The routine last night was particularly hard, I wasn't the only one saying that. But, I managed it. I also practised it with a couple of guys in freestyle afterwards, and was fine with it by the end of the night. So, I suppose the more you practice the better you get. I'm glad I gave it a shot, and it wasn't as bad as I expected it to be :D

I did think about asking one guy to go through the whole routine, but everyone seemed to be rotating partners, there was no-one with a "fixed" partner. If there had been, then I would have asked.

Thanks again everyone, much appreciated :flower:

LuLu xx

Rogboy
13th-July-2007, 11:33 AM
...So I stepped up to intermediate at Kiddermister on Weds....and promptly hurt my back! Felt a ''twinge'' that night and then at Worcester
last night it played up big time.
Managed to get through 3 moves on Intermediate last night, but the last one nearly ripped me in two! Managed to dance a cpl of times but had to sit out for the most part.:what:

Oh well resting up this weekend (well as much as you can wth a rampaging 6yr old wanting to perform karate / ninja moves on my person!)

:grin: