PDA

View Full Version : Anonymity and the Forum (again)

David Bailey
4th-July-2007, 07:29 AM
Moved from the "Has the bubble burst" thread

I don't agree I think people on this forum should be judged based on their opinions and views as detailed in their posts.
But if we don't know some backstory, we're less likely to give those arguments any credibility. Online credibility is clearly tied in with identity - for example, look at the "real name" badges on Amazon reviewers.

Obviously we won't make you divulge any details you don't want to, but you should be aware that the lack of such details (for example, how many years have you been dancing, where have you danced, are you a taxi / teacher, and so on) means that people take your opinions less seriously. That's just the way the culture of this forum (and the Web in general) works.

Andy McGregor
4th-July-2007, 08:04 AM
But if we don't know some backstory, we're less likely to give those arguments any credibility. Online credibility is clearly tied in with identity - for example, look at the "real name" badges on Amazon reviewers.

Obviously we won't make you divulge any details you don't want to, but you should be aware that the lack of such details (for example, how many years have you been dancing, where have you danced, are you a taxi / teacher, and so on) means that people take your opinions less seriously. That's just the way the culture of this forum (and the Web in general) works.This post is far too reasonable and balanced. It's only saving grace is that it's totally off-topic ...

On the subject of scotttwin, I believe that the only reason for anonymity on a dance forum is to creat mischief and conflict. We're much more friendly in person that we are on here. But scotttwin doesn't want to meet us in person citing that fact that it will get personal if he/she identifies her/himself. I'm finding the ignore list perfect for these situations. Somebody please let me know when scotttwin starts to behave like a "normal" member of the forum. For now, as I know nothing about him/her, scotttwin has nothing to say that I want to hear :angry:

scotttwin
4th-July-2007, 09:09 AM
We're much more friendly in person that we are on here.

I suspect only because you have to be to avoid emergency dental repairs.

It seems to me Andy that if I had just agreed with you, there wouldn't have been a problem, well I have an opinion and I'm not afraid to use it!

Is it any wonder of the 527 visitors to this Forum in the last 24 hours only a fraction of the these people have actually made a post. In my opinion this forum should be trying to gather the opinions from the maximum number of Forum members, however with the form of verbal bullying by the likes of Andy this forum will unfortunately reflect the opinions of a minority.

This is a great shame, but perhaps this is how certain individuals like it to be.

bigdjiver
4th-July-2007, 09:39 AM
The advantage of not real names is that one is more able to express real feelings.

straycat
4th-July-2007, 09:47 AM
It seems to me Andy that if I had just agreed with you, there wouldn't have been a problem, well I have an opinion and I'm not afraid to use it!

But you are afraid to have people associate it with the 'real' you? Interesting...

I don't perceive Andy's posts to contain any form of verbal bullying. It's simply that, like you, he's certainly not afraid to give his opinion. On the other hand, he doesn't mind that opinion being associated with his real-life self. Which, to me, speaks volumes.

MartinHarper
4th-July-2007, 09:48 AM
£10 per venue per week doesn't sound like much. Would that pay for organising a couple of busks a year, leaflets, website and mailing list?

Is it any wonder of the 527 visitors to this Forum in the last 24 hours only a fraction of the these people have actually made a post.

That is absolutely standard on online forums. There are always more observers than participants.

David Bailey
4th-July-2007, 01:00 PM
Is it any wonder of the 527 visitors to this Forum in the last 24 hours only a fraction of the these people have actually made a post.
As MartinHarper has said, all online forums have this aspect.

There's a good article from Jacob Nielsen (usability guru) on this area:
Participation Inequality: Lurkers vs. Contributors in Internet Communities (Jakob Nielsen's Alertbox) (http://www.useit.com/alertbox/participation_inequality.html)

Summary:
In most online communities, 90% of users are lurkers who never contribute, 9% of users contribute a little, and 1% of users account for almost all the action.
So it's a generic characteristic.

The best you can do is try to improve the "active" levels, but you'll still get most people lurking, some people contributing, and a few loudmouths ( :innocent: ) making the most noise.

In my opinion this forum should be trying to gather the opinions from the maximum number of Forum members, however with the form of verbal bullying by the likes of Andy this forum will unfortunately reflect the opinions of a minority.
Andy's not bullying in my opinion - however, as always, feel free to report any posts which you think are breaking the Forum rules.

David Bailey
4th-July-2007, 01:07 PM
The advantage of not real names is that one is more able to express real feelings.
And the disadvantage is, that people don't take your opinions (as) seriously.

Credibility is closely associated with identity, or at least with background. I'm not making this up - I can dig up studies on this area if you want, it's actually something I have some experience in.

Double Trouble
4th-July-2007, 01:18 PM

Not sure about that one. Real feelings or the ability to troll it up big time with no come back?

Anonymous posters and not taken seriously on this forum. I've seen it time and time again over the last year and as a result, they get bored and go elsewhere because they are fed up of shouting and not being heard.

Storm in a teacup.:rolleyes:

Dreadful Scathe
4th-July-2007, 01:29 PM
There is a big difference between using your real name and being anonymous though ;) There are have been very few anonymous posters in the life of this forum.

Cruella
4th-July-2007, 01:39 PM
There are have been very few anonymous posters in the life of this forum.
That's because whenever someone comes on anonymously, it becomes a mission to the rest of us to reveal their identity!

Miguel
4th-July-2007, 01:52 PM
Anonymous posters and not taken seriously on this forum.Just spent 20 quid upgrading to Silver membership :waycool: therefore I want to be taken seriously and remain anonymous. Miguel :flower:

Double Trouble
4th-July-2007, 01:54 PM
Just spent 20 quid upgrading to Silver membership :waycool: therefore I want to be taken seriously and remain anonymous. Miguel :flower:

I'm sorry, do I know you?

Nice balls by the way.

Trouble
4th-July-2007, 02:00 PM
Just spent 20 quid upgrading to Silver membership :waycool: therefore I want to be taken seriously and remain anonymous. Miguel :flower:

you could never be anonymous with balls like that. It gives your dance style a certain edge thats for sure.!!! :awe: :respect:

Miguel
4th-July-2007, 02:01 PM
I'm sorry, do I know you?

Don't think I've had the pleasure.

Nice balls by the way.
Muchas gracias.

robd
4th-July-2007, 02:02 PM
I would have thought that mirrored balls would be the ideal accessory for the man with a vain lady in his life.

Lee Bartholomew
4th-July-2007, 02:18 PM
There are only a few people who post using their real name. Out of the 'Hardcore' posters I think everyone knows them personally.

I cert have no probs in being identified.

Dreadful Scathe
4th-July-2007, 02:18 PM
I would have thought that mirrored balls would be the ideal accessory for the man with a vain lady in his life.

but if she was checking out her hair she'd need to be upside down.....

Trouble
4th-July-2007, 02:28 PM
signature...... :tears: :tears: .

so if you dont want any trouble........does that mean you dont wanna dance with me. :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears:

David Bailey
4th-July-2007, 03:07 PM
That's because whenever someone comes on anonymously, it becomes a mission to the rest of us to reveal their identity!
Rubbish :na:

It's only when someone says something "authoritative" (eg. "All Ceroc Teachers are rubbish" or whatever) - then people, not unreasonably, ask for something to back this opinion up.

robd
4th-July-2007, 03:16 PM
so if you dont want any trouble........does that mean you dont wanna dance with me. :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears:

LOL

Is that a snail you can see on the horizon :rolleyes:

Trouble
4th-July-2007, 03:19 PM
LOL

Is that a snail you can see on the horizon :rolleyes:

eh :confused: is that a yes or a no. LOL xx

bigdjiver
4th-July-2007, 03:19 PM
And the disadvantage is, that people don't take your opinions (as) seriously...

Credibility is closely associated with identity, or at least with background. I'm not making this up - I can dig up studies on this area if you want, it's actually something I have some experience in.I have no doubt that experience and a charismatic public persona increase credibility. People buy the beans that they have heard of at a premium price over the beans they have not, it is the whole essence of branding. It has also been the source of some of the biggest disasters. Nobody was going to rugby tackle the captain of the Titanic.

Time and time again I have seen the new kid on the block saunter in with an open mind and a different background and spot a major flaw or suggest a major innovation. Sometimes they are completely wrong and get shot down in flames, but from such mistakes we learn.

Sometimes the unknown beans are :clap: , sometimes they are :eek:
Most of the old timers wandered into Ceroc with no clue as to its pedigree or background. I just poked my head into a hall from where I heard good music. Most people are waiting to see it on TV.

under par
4th-July-2007, 03:56 PM
In my opinion this forum should be trying to gather the opinions from the maximum number of Forum members, .

Why?

Why gather anything?

Some like to write........ others like to read...... some read sometimes and write other times.... I know I do!

This is a place for everyone the bolshy and the timid.... there is room for everyone..... just find your own level....your space ...and fill it.

Don't feel you have to comply with anyone elses .... well ....anything.

Do your own thing and expect to be taken to task if you are bolshy and expect to be treated with far more respect if you are timid.. thats life!

You enter a pub and start pontificating loudly you will nearly always get into an argument..................... you sit and listen and offer considered opinion you may get a considered response.

Feel free to be anonymous... but expect to be challenged on your authenticity when to get involved in a spat...

live and let live!

Remember dance and this forum are supposed to be fun:D

sidney
4th-July-2007, 04:59 PM
I am one of those poster's who pop in now and then, and tend to check on the social events and post the odd post and read some threads but I don't have the time or the inclination to get heavyly involved, as I like to be up and doing other things as from a friend's experience on this forum got to addictive and it became almost her life, but has given it up now to get a life.

happygoldfish
4th-July-2007, 06:39 PM
Of some people, I think "He's opinionated because he's a teacher," or "He's opinionated because he's a moderator," or "He's opinionated for no apparent reason." :(

But of others I think "He's a nice guy even though he's a teacher," and so on. :)

In my 3 weeks on this forum, I've already formed my own opinions on the personalities of the prinicipal contributors, and none of them is based on qualifications or status.

There's the nice squad and the awkward squad, the sensible and the pernickety, the ones who help the discussion along, and the ones who try to hijack it.

Above all, there are a very few people whose posts are clearly authoritative, :respect: and below them there is a motley of also-rans and also-rants who contradict each other. :rolleyes:

Even if someone is a teacher, how do I know whether he's a good teacher? :confused: I judge him by what he writes, not by what he claims to be. :what:

Everyone should be anonymous! :nice: Then everyone would be judged on what they wrote! :nice:

I like to think that, whenever I post rubbish, I am at least posting interesting and authoritative rubbish, and am respected for it, rather than for who I am! :nice:

respect the goldfish!