PDA

View Full Version : Lead Guitarists who decide to dance

kiwichook
1st-July-2007, 11:05 PM
Are there any lead guitarists out there who have made the crossover from musican to dancer? And if so, was there ever a struggle when first learning to dance in their understanding what is that the dancer is hearing and moving to, with regard to timing issues as opposed to what they would do when they are up on the stage jamming ? Short of the obvious thing in that there is person on the other arm and not a guitar :rofl:

I would be interested to hear any comments on this and even better if you are a lead guitarist who has made the crossover successfully :grin:

Lee Bartholomew
1st-July-2007, 11:14 PM
I used to play lead and loads of other stuff.

I think that having a good understanding and general love of music def helps with dancing. You kind of already know the patterns most songs follow and can anticipate breaks easier.

Never trued playing guitar with a dance partner, Air guitar, once, but never actually using my partner.

:waycool:

kiwichook
2nd-July-2007, 12:36 AM
I used to play lead and loads of other stuff.

I think that having a good understanding and general love of music def helps with dancing. You kind of already know the patterns most songs follow and can anticipate breaks easier.

Never trued playing guitar with a dance partner, Air guitar, once, but never actually using my partner.

:waycool:

So were you ever tempted to let rip and play off on a tangent and not play to the main beat irrespective of what the others were doing, with the thought of "I'm playing from heart" ?

Minnie M
2nd-July-2007, 12:42 AM
Shame this thread isn't "Dancing Musicians" much more interesting ...............

Strange though it may seem, not all musicians CAN dance, but when they can they do make great dancers.

The Jive Aces has two really fab dancers (out of 6) tonight I found out a third one can 'tap dance' but never seen him jive

My ex-hubby is a drummer - but a useless dancer :tears:

Nigel Anderson is a trumpet player :worthy:

kiwichook
3rd-July-2007, 01:19 AM
[QUOTE=Minnie M;388420]Shame this thread isn't "Dancing Musicians" much more interesting ...............

Well let's make it that then, calling any Dancing musicians - have you had any trouble making the crossover from musician to dancer given you are supposedly "more knowledgeable" about music and its beat, than non musicians?:D

bigdjiver
3rd-July-2007, 01:32 AM
I used to go to Friday night gigs at John Ruskin House in Croydon, wishing for someone to dance with. One night a beautiful blonde (think Lee Remik at 20) invited me, having seen me at Ceroc. The dance did not go too well. For one thing she was drunk, and for another the band was not playing too good. It transpired that the lead guitar was also a Cerocer, and her very jealous boyfriend. I did not wait for the end of the set ...

Lee Bartholomew
3rd-July-2007, 03:30 AM
So were you ever tempted to let rip and play off on a tangent and not play to the main beat irrespective of what the others were doing, with the thought of "I'm playing from heart" ?

Yes i do all the time depending on whom i dance with. If it is a dancer of a good standard then it's not normally a problem. If you try doing it with a dancer who can't cope or a beginner, they often try getting you back on the beat because in their heads they are going 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 where you might be going 1and2, 3,4 and ....

Andy McGregor
3rd-July-2007, 09:27 AM
Nigel Anderson is a trumpet player :worthy:This explains why he keeps trying to hold his partner to his lips :what:

mikeyr
3rd-July-2007, 09:53 AM
Did play Rythmn Guitar in a couple R&B (before it was hip hop) bands when I was a lot younger and up until a couple of years ago was still busking (I always need the money:D ) as a couple of forumites have witnessed.

I Dont know if it made it easier for me to learn to dance or even made me a better dancer, like being a musician its down to hard work, constant practise and a little experimentation.

And like being a musican, not everybody is gonna like what you do!

Trouble
3rd-July-2007, 11:27 AM
Did play Rythmn Guitar in a couple R&B (before it was hip hop) bands when I was a lot younger and up until a couple of years ago was still busking (I always need the money:D ) as a couple of forumites have witnessed.

I Dont know if it made it easier for me to learn to dance or even made me a better dancer, like being a musician its down to hard work, constant practise and a little experimentation.

No i think your dancing has been good because you have been trained in various dances over your adult life. Plus you have an obvious musical ear (thinks thats what they call it) which most musicians do. I play the piano for example, not with my ear either before anybody starts. I find listening and feeling the music easy but i dont think its anything to do with my piano playing. :flower:

Mind you, i would love to see you playing the guitar, bring it with you next time at SP, we could make a fortune especially if you did it naked and i walked around with a big bucket for spare change. :wink: :love:

Reet Petite
4th-July-2007, 12:13 AM

The guitar playing is fine....it's just the 'singing' that requires a bit more practise :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:... Maybe it would help if you tried that naked as well...:D Less restrictive on those high notes :whistle::whistle::whistle:

Missy D
4th-July-2007, 09:21 AM
My daughters father was bass guitarist with the Wildhearts and many other bands but could not dance at all.

I however only played the triangle and the washing up bottle with lentils in at school and have always found it easy to dance.:flower:

mikeyr
4th-July-2007, 10:06 AM
:... Maybe it would help if you tried that naked as well...:D Less restrictive on those high notes :whistle::whistle::whistle:

~ snip ~ we could make a fortune especially if you did it naked and i walked around with a big bucket for spare change. :wink: :love:

:confused: Ladies, whats with the naked:eek: Thought your gender was s'posed to be the deep meaningful one:innocent: I am an Artiste after all:cool: :what: :whistle: :really:

Lee Bartholomew
4th-July-2007, 10:51 AM
Of course alot of guitarists have that 'In Pain' look when they play a solo. Many dancers also have this too. :grin:

Baruch
5th-July-2007, 09:29 PM
I'm a rhythm guitarist, so I pay more attention to timing than prima donna lead guitarists :whistle:

MartinHarper
6th-July-2007, 09:29 AM
I read this quote recently:

Dancing is very important to people who play music with a beat. I think that people who don't dance, or who never did dance, don't really understand the beat... I know musicians who don't and never did dance, and they have difficulty communicating.

I liked it. Maybe because it gives me yet another reason to feel superior.

johnnyman
8th-August-2007, 04:23 PM
I am a serious amateur guitarist of 20 years experience. I think learning to dance has helped to develop my timing as a guitarist onto the next level, but they are two separate disciplines.

Guitar is something you have to develop over a longer period, because your fingers have to be pushed to try out different scales and chord progressions. I certainly wasn't inspired to dance because I played guitar, more like influenced by guitar legends like Mark Knopfler, Lindsey Buckingham and Eric Clapton.

The professional champion dancers who I have witnessed have influenced me more, like Jordan, Benji, Robert Cordoba, Nigel and Nina, Victor, Mick Wenger, WCS and Ceroc teachers who have helped me to develop a clearer style over time. I think if you are going to become a better all-round dancer, you have to pay attention to dancers, not guitarists.