PDA

View Full Version : Beginners DVDs - The Next Generation

Gus
30th-June-2007, 12:47 PM
Back in the days when dinasours still ruled the earth, the 'How to Jive' video came out. It covered the basic moves and was (still is) a good guide for beginners ... and an example of early 80's fashion (:what: ). In more recent history the Dark Empire brought out its own DVDs .... and are now giving them away? So, in the face of the Ceroc DVD now being rather good value there seems to be a plethora of orgnbaistaion bringing out beginners DVDs.

Stylz Jive have a #10 offering, Revolution jive have brought out a #19 version and I think some of the other operators have similar offerings. I think its a brave move. Regardless of quality, the time it takes to prepare and shoot the DVD must be considerable ... and I'm not sure what the market is for beginners DVDs, after all it is, in theory at least, only 6 weeks window.

So, 3 questions;

Is there a real market for Beginners D?VDs?
Are any of them any use
Can they compete against Ceroc's current promotion?

Ghost
30th-June-2007, 01:41 PM
Are any of them any use

Provided the moves are done properly, I find them a useful reference point for learning / deconstructing intermediate moves.

(The other day I was trying to find footage of the in and out :whistle: )

Dreadful Scathe
30th-June-2007, 02:25 PM
a plethora of orgnbaistaion

I'm going to get a t-shirt made with that slogan :)

Gus
30th-June-2007, 02:40 PM
I'm going to get a t-shirt made with that slogan :)The worrying thing I don't do drugs and I wasn't drunk at the time. Must have been the double shot latte ... and a mind running faster than my paws can type.

Gus
30th-June-2007, 02:42 PM
(The other day I was trying to find footage of the in and out :whistle: )I would have thought any reputabe sex manual would have adequately illustrated the salient points?

Ghost
30th-June-2007, 02:47 PM
I would have thought any reputabe sex manual would have adequately illustrated the salient points?

I was looking at the weight transfers and whether it would be possible to get into a tango embrace with the right timing (it is; now I just have to avoid getting tasered :na: )

Gus
30th-June-2007, 03:00 PM
I was looking at the weight transfers and whether it would be possible to get into a tango embrace with the right timing (it is; now I just have to avoid getting tasered :na: )Interesting thought. I've seen Marc teach a similar ending from a move starting with turning the lady around on the spot (ok ... lousy description). Would have through that the bouncy movement of the in and out would contrary to the look and feel of the Tango embrace ... tried doing it from breaking in a travelling return, a la Nigel's guide for entering a blues basic position? (Don't worry, taser is packed away ready for tonights freestyle :) )

Re trying to assess weight loadings ... I think you would be dissapointed if you tried to get such info from a beginners DVD. My impression is that it is more of "step forward, step back" level.

Ghost
30th-June-2007, 03:41 PM
Interesting thought. I've seen Marc teach a similar ending from a move starting with turning the lady around on the spot (ok ... lousy description). Would have through that the bouncy movement of the in and out would contrary to the look and feel of the Tango embrace ... tried doing it from breaking in a travelling return, a la Nigel's guide for entering a blues basic position?
Oh I've tried lots of positions - we're getting back to the sex manual again aren't we :wink:

I realised that I would often start proper tango by holding the lady's right hand and then we both step forward into embrace, much like half an in and out, just done smoothly.

(Don't worry, taser is packed away ready for tonights freestyle :) )
*sigh of relief*

Re trying to assess weight loadings ... I think you would be dissapointed if you tried to get such info from a beginners DVD. My impression is that it is more of "step forward, step back" level.
I ended up using the Ceroc Champs 07 dvd (Ceroc X section) as a reference.

Ghost
30th-June-2007, 05:03 PM
Although this is true for the actual "teach" part of the Ceroc beginners dvd, when they demo the moves, they dance the moves properly and so if you know what you're looking for, you can look for weight shifts etc.

It's also useful to see what it is you're actually supposed to be leading in the parts where the lady becomes invisible eg in the backpass and shoulder-drop

I've noticed that Intermediate follows pretty much end up adopting the same footwork for the beginers moves - which is what the lady does when the move is demoed; again useful to know.

(It's been suggested that I think about this stuff too much :blush: )

Gus
30th-June-2007, 05:13 PM
(It's been suggested that I think about this stuff too much :blush: )Au contraire .... we could do with more of ... what the heck, I should probbaly think more about it myslef. However, pay heed young sir ... the path to enlightenment is a long one and though you start with small steps one day and you could find you question ALL footwork and have indeed become a Andy McG!

Gadget
2nd-July-2007, 01:14 PM
I was looking at the weight transfers and whether it would be possible to get into a tango embrace with the right timing (it is; now I just have to avoid getting tasered :na: )
I use it all the time, (well a fair bit).. I also exit into an in & out type thing and sometimes use the 'out' bit as a good hold position for a break.

You're stepping back & forward while facing each other - it's not that hard
(although stepping in while the follower steps out can confuse them :wink::devil: )

{Oh, and I definetly think about these things too much :rofl:}

Andy McGregor
2nd-July-2007, 03:06 PM
Au contraire .... we could do with more of ... what the heck, I should probbaly think more about it myslef. However, pay heed young sir ... the path to enlightenment is a long one and though you start with small steps one day and you could find you question ALL footwork and have indeed become an Andy McG!Ah, Grasshopper! You will find that in the complex you find the simple and in the simple you, err, umm, also find the simple :confused:

The basic footwork for MJ is simple. It's called walking. The difference between me and Franck is that I think there is a correct foot in the lady's basic footwork for MJ. Maybe I'm right, maybe Franck is. I'm not even 100% sure which is the most simple footwork any more, the one where the lady tranfers her weight on every beat starting with the right on beat one (mine) or the one where it doesn't matter which foot (Ceroc's). IMHO, the balance of probability is that the former (my version) is more basic. And I'm not saying that I think it's the only footwork, I'm saying it's the basic. Watch the ladies in freestyle and say RLRLRLRLRL on each beat starting the first R on beat 1 - you'll be surprised how many fit!

Me, beating the same drum? :devil:

Gus
2nd-July-2007, 07:40 PM
Me, beating the same drum? :devil:Well ... everyone else has brought out a DVD who have far less teaching experience than yourself ... why not grace the common masses with your own DVD??

ducasi
2nd-July-2007, 08:17 PM
Is there a real market for Beginners DVDs?
Yes, the sale or rental market – sell beginner DVDs to your new starts for £15 and offer to buy them back for £10.

Ceroc (Scotland at least) used to do this with beginner DVD – don't know if they still do, now that they give (different I think) DVDs away.

Think it's still the best way to "sell" these DVDs.

Andy McGregor
2nd-July-2007, 08:53 PM
Well ... everyone else has brought out a DVD who have far less teaching experience than yourself ... why not grace the common masses with your own DVD??I have done the filming for a Teaching DVD. I could easily use the footage for a beginners DVD - but who'd buy it when they are free from Ceroc?

bigdjiver
2nd-July-2007, 10:25 PM
I have done the filming for a Teaching DVD. I could easily use the footage for a beginners DVD - but who'd buy it when they are free from Ceroc?Just title it "Essential corrections and addenda."