PDA

View Full Version : Vienesse Waltz

DianaS
29th-June-2007, 07:30 PM
Thsi afternoon I met up with one of our tango dancers who wanted to work on the vienesse waltz.

He managed to teach me the basics in an hour (fortunatley he is at competition standard). I have never felt something as wildly exhuberating!

I'd love to learn some more does any one know what the scene is like if there is one and where do people go to learn?

Paul F
30th-June-2007, 01:08 AM
Hey Diana!

I cant remember exactly where you live again but am I right in thinking its midlands way?

I used to train in Manchester, Yorkshire and now the South East so can recommend dance schools in most of those places. Im not really good on the midlands though. Ultimately it would have to be a ballroom dance school.

Yeah, I agree the Vienesse Waltz is great but it doesnt really get played very much. Most dance socials wont play many tracks for a VW if any. Usually you have to specifically request them and a lot of 'DJ's' dont like to play them. I cant speak for all socials of course :blush:

As for a 'scene'. Again I cant say for definate but I would suggest there is no particular scene as such.

Miguel
30th-June-2007, 09:58 AM
I'd love to learn some more does any one know what the scene is like if there is one and where do people go to learn?

Most decent ballroom schools should teach VW as it's part of the IDTA & ISTD syllabus. However I've only seen it danced twice at socials in the last year and on both occasions it was danced by very experienced teachers. It's simply too fast, challenging and dangerous to be a social dance. Better to stick to (slow) Waltz. :flower:

Raul
1st-July-2007, 11:03 AM
I am glad that DianaS started this thread! I had considered taking up ballroom lessons in order to learn VW in particular but have always been put off by the teaching rota (IDTA & ISTD syllabus ?).

Each set of classes appears to cover something like 10 lessons in 10 weeks and this really does not appeal to me. I would not want or be able to cope with all of this. I would not mind doing 1 dance for a month (or more) but the teachers cover 1 dance a week and sometimes two or three dances in each session. My mind frizzles.

I am also very interested in the answer you get. In the meantime I will have to make do with learning Tango Vals (occasionally as part of Tango lessons) which is also wonderful but not as exhileratingly fast and swirling.

Miguel
1st-July-2007, 01:44 PM

Viennese Waltz Scene (http://www.staatsoper.at/Content.Node2/home/opernball/7789.php#)

DianaS
1st-July-2007, 03:04 PM
Gosh that's a little disappointing! I must have been really lucky to find someone accidentally who had mastered the dance. I feel as though as he's so proficient I should get up tp speed in priovate lessons and benefit from his input accasionally rather than expect all that hard work to comefrom him. i'll have a chat with my ballroom teacher and see what his suggestions are. it will be rather disappointing if there is no occasion taht I can put on a nice frock and go out for a spin - but if I'm lucky enough to find soemthing I'll post it here!

BTW Paul next time we meet lets find some space and go for a twirl!
(Dream on!)