PDA

View Full Version : Internet (clearing sites you have visted)

stewart38
26th-June-2007, 12:28 PM
My mate wants to know ?

Does clearing your internet history everyday have any effect on what the IT department can see what your up to ??

I assume they know exactly what sites you have been on each day and how frequently ? (if they wanted to check)

Clearing you history would have no effect ?? :sad:

Lee Bartholomew
26th-June-2007, 12:32 PM
Who has been looking at naughty sites at work eh Stewart you naughty boy? :na:

Depends on their set up. When I ran an IT department we had a log of all http traffic in and out so we could see what sites had been visited. Any decent firewall will have this installed. Then again I have recently worked at a Uni where they had no firewall or anti virus installed at all !!!!!

straycat
26th-June-2007, 12:33 PM
My mate wants to know ?

Does clearing your internet history everyday have any effect on what the IT department can see what your up to ??

Clearing your cache and history might help. But if they want to monitor what someone's doing, they can do that without any need to access the machine in question. I doubt there's much your mate can do to prevent that, if the IT folk know what they're about.

Dreadful Scathe
26th-June-2007, 12:47 PM
one thing he can do to limit what the IT dept know is to buy a USB drive and install Portable Firefox on it -that way he runs his browser from the USB key and there is no physical evidence whatsoever.

To be even safer still - keep your home machine on and run VNC on it and browse from there, then they can't log the traffic either.

Beowulf
26th-June-2007, 01:03 PM
one thing he can do to limit what the IT dept know is to buy a USB drive and install Portable Firefox on it -that way he runs his browser from the USB key and there is no physical evidence whatsoever.

To be even safer still - keep your home machine on and run VNC on it and browse from there, then they can't log the traffic either.

yeah but depending on how you connect to the internet then that's a moot point. If you go through a proxy on your servers then they can see what IP addresses went to which sites at which time etc, every click on a form logs a new line in the log files. That way no matter what you do on your local PC they can still track internet access at the server end.

unless you're really REALLY sneaky.. like DS says , and ,say, developing a commercial web based application that resides on a server out with the internal network and giving the developer remote access to that server.. and it's own un-logged internet access :wink: :whistle:

Right now I'm "working" on a Remote Desktop connection to this server :)

of course, it doesn't really matter.. I'm the one they get to check the logs anyway as I'm the webmaster and they seem to think that's my job too hehe :whistle:

ducasi
26th-June-2007, 01:07 PM
Any company that is actively concerned about your browsing history will not need to consult your computer to see what you've been browsing using it.

Dreadful Scathe
26th-June-2007, 01:14 PM
yeah but depending on how you connect to the internet then that's a moot point. If you go through a proxy on your servers then they can see what IP addresses went to which sites at which time etc, every click on a form logs a new line in the log files. That way no matter what you do on your local PC they can still track internet access at the server end.

Indeed - I was talking about physical evidence on the local machine. There is also the possibility that the browser on the desktop may be fixed to a proxy you cant change but access will work without it on your usb key browser (if your IT dept never thought of that).

unless you're really REALLY sneaky.. like DS says , and ,say, developing a commercial web based application that resides on a server out with the internal network and giving the developer remote access to that server.. and it's own un-logged internet access :wink: :whistle:

Its called VNC and it listens on port 80. It does require the authority to install a java plug-in so if thats an issue - you can always use the commercial "Remotelyanywhere" which will generally work no matter what limitations IT put on your access from work ;)

Beowulf
26th-June-2007, 02:40 PM
Its called VNC and it listens on port 80.

I know it's called VNC , I was talking about our package I wrote resides on a server outside the local network. As I have to access this server for my work I have sole access to it via remote desktop connection.. and as it has it's own internet connection I browse on it.. Personally I use VNC between my PC's at home.

but this is all a moot point as if they wanted to check anyone's internet usage they would ask me.. as I'm the webmaster. and somehow, the think because I'm webmaster, network security is in my job description.. the fools mwahahaha mwahahaha

Dreadful Scathe
26th-June-2007, 03:20 PM
I know it's called VNC , I was talking about our package I wrote resides on a server outside the local network.

I know you know that I know you know its called VNC - I was suggesting it was better than the program wot you wrote ;)

McJester
26th-June-2007, 03:24 PM
I know it's called VNC , I was talking about our package I wrote resides on a server outside the local network. As I have to access this server for my work I have sole access to it via remote desktop connection.. and as it has it's own internet connection I browse on it.. Personally I use VNC between my PC's at home.

If your not in a position to to vnc to your home pc you can always use www.logmein.com, the free version of their service works brilliantly and provides a way to remote control your pc at home, I have found that it gets through most corporate firewalls/ proxy setups, and leaves no evidence on your works pc.

hugs

McJester

Beowulf
26th-June-2007, 04:16 PM
I know you know that I know you know its called VNC - I was suggesting it was better than the program wot you wrote ;)

and I know you know I know you l... no lets stop there ;)

stewart38
26th-June-2007, 04:36 PM
Any company that is actively concerned about your browsing history will not need to consult your computer to see what you've been browsing using it.

meaning ?

they actually look during the day

or could they call up a history, the next day

the fact Ive sorry my friend has deleted it all makes no difference ?

Dreadful Scathe
26th-June-2007, 05:06 PM
meaning ?

they actually look during the day

or could they call up a history, the next day

the fact Ive sorry my friend has deleted it all makes no difference ?
thats exactly what he is saying - you cannot delete information from servers you have no control over (when you do ANYTHING on the net there are LOTS of computers involved - all of which track you ;) ). More than that in fact - if he is using Internet Explorer he may think he is deleting his tracks but its very likely he isn't - it stores lots of "hidden" stuff. And ..even if he uses a browser thats a bit more "covering tracks" friendly, anything deleted can also be undeleted - so there will still be physical evidence. Your best bet is to use "logmein" as McJester suggested - looks like the easist and best way.

ducasi
26th-June-2007, 08:19 PM
meaning ?
Companies that actively care will have a firewall that tracks web usage. If you browse the web from "inside" this firewall, it will be recorded.

Looks like "logmein" is a good solution if you have a broadband-connected computer sitting on at home.

Dreadful Scathe
26th-June-2007, 10:03 PM
Companies that actively care will have a firewall that tracks web usage. If you browse the web from "inside" this firewall, it will be recorded.

Looks like "logmein" is a good solution if you have a broadband-connected computer sitting on at home.
all of which i just said - am i on ignore :)

Beowulf
26th-June-2007, 11:18 PM
as ducasi said Looks like "logmein" is a good solution if you have a broadband-connected computer sitting on at home.

What's that odd empty white space above my post and after ducasi's ?

:whistle: :wink: