PDA

View Full Version : Core intermediate moves ?

TA Guy
22nd-June-2007, 12:13 PM
Inspired (if that's the word. LOL) by the revival of the "Pretzels, love 'em or hate 'em" thread.

I was thinking, the one problem I have with the pretzel is it's considered a core intermediate move. It shouldn't be, it's way too complex for that, but because it's a 'core move' intermediates start to use it a lot too early. Which I'm guessing contributes to the the bad press and occasional accidents/strains etc. mentioned on here.
Then I got to thinking... well, is it a core intermediate move? I kinda just assumed and I'm not sure why.

So, any one know, is the Pretzel a core intermediate move ?
Are there officially such things as core intermediate moves ?
What are they ? How were they selected ?

Anyone know ?

Beowulf
22nd-June-2007, 12:16 PM
I don't know if it's a core move or not (despite dancing for years I still only know a handful of intermediate moves) However I would say a Pretzel Should be a core move .. along with Sways, Cleavers, Neck brakes etc..

But I'm not sufficiently qualified to give a definitive answer to this question.

ducasi
22nd-June-2007, 12:21 PM
Ceroc have a list of "classic intermediate moves", one of which is taught in every intermediate class.

Couldn't list them myself...

pennyb
22nd-June-2007, 12:50 PM
Left Handed
Archiespin
Double Handed Return into Shoulder Spin
Left Handed Comb
Left Handed Duckspin Comb*
Neckbreak
Short Neckbreak*
Pretzel
Almost Pretzel*
Short Backhander
Backhander*
Teapot
Wurlitzer

Right Handed
Accordion
Butterfly
Butterfly Cheat*
Butterfly (Double) Cheat*
Cleaver
Half Windmill
Windmill*
Hatchback
Secret Swizzle
Secret Walkaround Swizzle*
Sway
Sway turn out*
Sway change hands*

*acceptable variations

Gadget
22nd-June-2007, 01:39 PM
I'm sure some of those are double handed :devil:

Beowulf
22nd-June-2007, 01:43 PM
List of moves and their acceptable variations

:clap: :worthy:

Oh I actually know more core moves than I thought I did.. now to check off the ones I don't know and get someone to teach them to me !!

:clap:

Whitebeard
22nd-June-2007, 03:14 PM
Ceroc have a list of "classic intermediate moves", one of which is taught in every intermediate class.

Couldn't list them myself...

Unfortunately, this is not true at every intermediate class.

Rarely am I taught the basic form of a Classic intermediate move. Invariably moves taught in intermediate are variations or combinations (often very lengthy) of either beginner or intermediate moves. There's no problem with beginner variations but, for me, this approach does hinder the assimilation of the basic Classic intermediate moves.

I fear that after 'twice through and into' I invariably heave a big sigh of relief and straightway engage auto pilot. Losing for ever the routine just gone through.

Raul
22nd-June-2007, 03:17 PM

hmmmm.

I must be going to "advanced":whistle: classes then because this one particular teacher never does any of the moves in their core version, as listed.

ducasi
22nd-June-2007, 04:13 PM
Unfortunately, this is not true at every intermediate class.

Rarely am I taught the basic form of a Classic intermediate move. Invariably moves taught in intermediate are variations or combinations (often very lengthy) of either beginner or intermediate moves. There's no problem with beginner variations but, for me, this approach does hinder the assimilation of the basic Classic intermediate moves.
OK, one of which is meant to be taught in every intermediate class (AFAIK).

Also one of the intermediate moves should be a variation on one of the beginner moves taught the same night.

Interestingly, there's one or two moves in pennyb's list (thanks Penny!) that I don't recall ever having been taught.

TA Guy
22nd-June-2007, 04:47 PM
Left Handed
Archiespin
Double Handed Return into Shoulder Spin
Left Handed Comb
Left Handed Duckspin Comb*
Neckbreak
Short Neckbreak*
Pretzel
Almost Pretzel*
Short Backhander
Backhander*
Teapot
Wurlitzer

Right Handed
Accordion
Butterfly
Butterfly Cheat*
Butterfly (Double) Cheat*
Cleaver
Half Windmill
Windmill*
Hatchback
Secret Swizzle
Secret Walkaround Swizzle*
Sway
Sway turn out*
Sway change hands*

*acceptable variations

Thanks for that. Now I know :)
I never even knew Ceroc had taken the Half Windmill and Wurlitzer out of the beginners class :)

Raul
22nd-June-2007, 05:08 PM
Thanks for that. Now I know :)
I never even knew Ceroc had taken the Half Windmill and Wurlitzer out of the beginners class :)

Yes, thank you PennyB.

I must stop doing the Wurlitzer with beginners then. No wonder they look a bit surprised at the increasing arm tension and change of direction.