PDA

View Full Version : Alternative venues if visiting South East

Paul F
11th-August-2003, 02:56 PM
Thought I would start a thread for people to give their recommendations for venues just outside of London.

As driving into London itself is usually worse than torture (and finding parking doesnt help) I thought it may be nice for visitors to the area to find out about other quality nights.

To start things off I went to a freestyle at Luton on Friday night. What a venue. For those who havn't been it is a recently built complex for the Vauxhall corporation that essentially owns Luton. The Riverside suite is beautiful. Brand new, LOVELY AIR-CON, central large dance floor (great floor), surrounding seating, nice bar. The music quality is excellent due to the nature of the hall (even at the back) All in all a fantastic venue (run by ceroc central). Got to be one of the best i have ever been to.

Such ashame a lot of people dont know about it. There were loads of great dancers there too, not going to name names as I will undoubtedly forget someone. Try it out.

Another night which I dont think anyone will have heard of as its simply not advertised is Romford Freestyle on a SUNDAY!!!!

I went last night. Again, a lovely floor, not a huge venue but it had all the right characteristics and the music was a mix of dance and rhythm +blues. Similar to Hipsters but on a smaller scale. Oh yes, and its air-conditioned.
Trouble is no-one knows about it so it was VERY quiet. They even had to close early. Now thats a shame as its such a nice place to dance.

Well theres two of my recommendations outside London.

Anybody got any others?

Paul F
11th-August-2003, 02:57 PM
Ok , Romford is in Gtr. London but u know what i mean. It doesnt take a few days to drive to it!

Dan Hudson
11th-August-2003, 03:35 PM
I know of two fantastic venues in the south east of london/ borders of kent

Charlton on a Wednesday and Sunday run by Ceroc Greenwich
fab dance floor, great teachers and excellent music. Really friendly bunch, unusual for London:devil:

Greenwich on a Tuesday run by Ceroc Greenwich, a fabulous venue, old town hall very airy, fab floor, great music, great atmosphere...

More details, times, directions etc

www.cerocgreenwich.co.uk

LilyB
11th-August-2003, 03:55 PM
If it's airconditioned venues you are after, Cheshunt on alternate Fridays & Saturdays is a terrific venue - excellent spacious floor, friendly crowd, easy parking & consistently good music. See www.cerocmetro.com website for more details.

LilyB

RoyBoy
11th-August-2003, 05:03 PM
I can testify to all the above. In my wanderings around the saauuf in the last couple of years I have visited all the above and haven’t been refused a dance at any of them - that’s one of the yard sticks I use in assessing a venue. I would also recommend Windsor on a Wednesday. It’s held in the sports centre and it is absolutely huge, and very busy. Got a refusal here, but I wont hold it against them – I must have looked like a wee lost soul completely out of my depth. But what the hell !! I had a good time.:cheers:

bigdjiver
12th-August-2003, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by Paul F
Thought I would start a thread for people to give their recommendations for venues just outside of London.

As driving into London itself is usually worse than torture (and finding parking doesnt help) I thought it may be nice for visitors to the area to find out about other quality nights.

To start things off I went to a freestyle at Luton on Friday night. What a venue. For those who havn't been it is a recently built complex for the Vauxhall corporation that essentially owns Luton. The Riverside suite is beautiful. Brand new, LOVELY AIR-CON, central large dance floor (great floor), surrounding seating, nice bar. The music quality is excellent due to the nature of the hall (even at the back) All in all a fantastic venue (run by ceroc central). Got to be one of the best i have ever been to.

Such ashame a lot of people dont know about it. There were loads of great dancers there too, not going to name names as I will undoubtedly forget someone. Try it out.

It should be said that a lot of the best regular dancers were missing, most away to Bristol. Much further North, Wicksteed Park, Kettering is another superb Ceroc Central venue, tea dance this Sunday.

Andy McGregor
12th-August-2003, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by LilyB
If it's airconditioned venues you are after, Cheshunt on alternate Fridays & Saturdays is a terrific venue - excellent spacious floor, friendly crowd, easy parking & consistently good music. See www.cerocmetro.com website for more details.

LilyB

I went to RebelRoc in Woking last night (Monday). It's just off the M25 and all of the above apply. The air conditioning was very welcome in this sweltering heat:waycool:

Sheepman
13th-August-2003, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by Andy McGregor
I went to RebelRoc in Woking last night (Monday).
But how did you get on with the music there? That's what puts me off being more regular.

Some of my favourites, (and living in central London it is a pain to get anywhere - though south-west is usually easiest for me).

Ceroc in Twyford on a Friday, friendly, excellent floor, no air con, but a good through breeze! Also Fleet, run by Jivebug, I rarely make their Thursday nights, but the Saturdays once per month are excellent. My favourite has to be Gt Bookham once per month on a Saturday, run by Jag Jive a very small venue, so booking is recommended, the best music anywhere apart from Hipsters. I also see that Fairlands in Guildford (Leroc) is restarting after a gap of about 7 months, I've had great nights there in the past.

I'm tempted to mention venues as far afield as Brighton, but I'm sure Andy is more up to date on those.

Greg

Andy McGregor
13th-August-2003, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Sheepman
But how did you get on with the music there? That's what puts me off being more regular.

Some of my favourites, (and living in central London it is a pain to get anywhere - though south-west is usually easiest for me).

Ceroc in Twyford on a Friday, friendly, excellent floor, no air con, but a good through breeze! Also Fleet, run by Jivebug, I rarely make their Thursday nights, but the Saturdays once per month are excellent. My favourite has to be Gt Bookham once per month on a Saturday, run by Jag Jive a very small venue, so booking is recommended, the best music anywhere apart from Hipsters. I also see that Fairlands in Guildford (Leroc) is restarting after a gap of about 7 months, I've had great nights there in the past.

I'm tempted to mention venues as far afield as Brighton, but I'm sure Andy is more up to date on those.

Greg

The music at Woking was quite good. They did play 'Spinning Around' which some people like but I always regard as a signal for a break - in which I contemplate Kylie:wink: They did play an R&R set which is a type of music I personally believe has no place in modern jive - but some people like it. The rest of the music was fair to good, Mac the Knife, A Nightingale Sang in Barclay Square, etc, a really nice set of Motown/70s music and a few really nice different versions of well known Modern Jive music.

I think you're right about Hipsters music being great - apart from one small gripe I've got about the Lindy music they play a bit of on a Tuesday. I think that Lindy is as different from Modern Jive as R&R and deserves to have its own night. We know that all 3 dances are similar but they are danced differently, at a different speed and Lindy needs much more space - about as much a the Tramp doing Modern Jive!!! I can Lindy (badly) and R&R (a bit) but I choose to do Modern Jive as it's easy, the people are friendly and I don't need to dress up in a zoot suit to look right - I know I sometimes dress 'differently' but I save it for competitions and the occasional dance:devil: Having said all that, I regularly go to Hipsters on both nights but I prefer Wednesdays as they play the best Modern Jive music around.

I agree about Fleet, even though it's about a 3 hour round trip I go at least once a month on a Thursday. The first Thursday of the month is busy with great dancers as Nigel and Nina teach but I often go on one of the other Thursdays and the teaching and music are still great.

Gt Bookham is a brilliant night, I'd love a CD of John Miller's whole night to play in the car, at home, etc. And they have a lovely elderly couple selling soft drinks for a few pence.

Also, Crawley is a good night on a Friday. I often go there if there's no Friday freestlye anywhere.

And now to Brighton. The fact I travel so much to dance speaks for itself. There are 2 nights, Monday with Dan and Becky and Tuesday with Jeff. I go to both occasionally if I don't fancy a long drive or finish work late. They are at the City Gate Centre in London Road. The Mondays are OK with good music but it is still building with an average of 40 dancers a night at the moment. Tuesday has about 50+ dancers who are more social on the dance/social axis - and the music :rolleyes: although he does play the odd good track that you'll hear nowhere else. And while I've got your attention, I'd like to make my usual gripe. If you're a non-smoker don't go to Jeff's dances at Hove Town Hall, there's ash trays and smoking permitted in every room except the one with a dance floor so there's no getting away from the smoke when you take a break:drool:

Also in the area, Julian has a Monday in Lancing Parish Hall and Wednesday in The Assembly Hall, Worthing, both are worth a visit if you're in the area. Graham LeClerc has classes in the Shoreham Centre, Pond Road on Tuesdays and Thursdays. The Thursday is worth a visit, the Tuesday has been very quiet (please note he's not running classes in August).

Around London I also go to Guildford Ceroc on a Monday which is packed with great dancers; Dorking on a Tuesday - which has been good on any night they don't have a band:devil: Colin has promised to improve this. Also on a Tuesday I've been to Croydon Ceroc a bit which is OK - although I did get rejected for a dance by a Ceroc teacher from another franchise:tears: She's now teaching at Brockham near Dorking on a Thursday - to prove I can take rejection I might even go! - I'll bet she doesn't even remember snubbing me, though:wink: Wednedays are good at Guildford Civic which gets around 200 dancers (check before going on www.rebelroc.com as the Civic is due to be rebuilt at some time)

Finally (phew!) I've heard that Adam from Ceroc Metro will be running a Sunday night in my area from September. I'm sure Adam will make this a great night and all us Brighton dancers are counting the days:waycool:

Will
13th-August-2003, 01:33 PM
Lindy needs much more space - about as much a the Tramp doing Modern Jive!!!

:rofl:

Sheepman
13th-August-2003, 02:19 PM
They did play an R&R set
I presume you mean a set rather than a medley, I don't mind the odd RnR number, but DJs playing medleys should be put through at least the equivalent torture that they put the dancers through! Jive Bunny has a lot to answer for.

I think you're right about Hipsters music being great - apart from one small gripe I've got about the Lindy music they play a bit of on a Tuesday. I think that Lindy is as different from Modern Jive as R&R and deserves to have its own night. Before Hipsters I would have mostly agreed with this. When I started dancing I was doing Lindy, and it was a very different style to that now taught by Andy and Rena. Nowadays it seems to be a much more laid back dance, (takes less space!) and the music played tends to reflect that, much slower than I learnt with, and generally great to jive to as well. There are no Zoot Suits in sight! Just goes to show you can't please everyone.

After watching at Bristol, I think the Tramp now has serious competition on the space hungry dancer front.

I prefer Wednesdays as they play the best Modern Jive music around.
I disagree again. (OK I've only been twice in the last 3 months), on a Wednesday the music is more tailored to the beginner/intermediate dancers, and includes too much bland poppy stuff. There again, just occasionally they do play the best all night.

Gt Bookham is a brilliant night, I'd love a CD of John Miller's whole night to play in the car, at home, etc. And they have a lovely elderly couple selling soft drinks for a few pence.
That would be John's Mum and Dad, someone told me that all proceeds go to charity, but I can't confirm this. If it's John's bluesy stuff you especially like, maybe I can do something for you. Oh - and as they have no licence, you are allowed to bring your own booze.

Greg

Andy McGregor
13th-August-2003, 03:52 PM
I presume you mean a set rather than a medley, I don't mind the odd RnR number, but DJs playing medleys should be put through at least the equivalent torture that they put the dancers through! Jive Bunny has a lot to answer for.

Before Hipsters I would have mostly agreed with this. When I started dancing I was doing Lindy, and it was a very different style to that now taught by Andy and Rena. Nowadays it seems to be a much more laid back dance, (takes less space!) and the music played tends to reflect that, much slower than I learnt with, and generally great to jive to as well. There are no Zoot Suits in sight! Just goes to show you can't please everyone.

After watching at Bristol, I think the Tramp now has serious competition on the space hungry dancer front.

I disagree again. (OK I've only been twice in the last 3 months), on a Wednesday the music is more tailored to the beginner/intermediate dancers, and includes too much bland poppy stuff. There again, just occasionally they do play the best all night.

That would be John's Mum and Dad, someone told me that all proceeds go to charity, but I can't confirm this. If it's John's bluesy stuff you especially like, maybe I can do something for you. Oh - and as they have no licence, you are allowed to bring your own booze.

Greg

Medleys and mixes :sick: I saw a great phenomenon in Portsmouth one night. I think it happened by chance but it was brilliant and immediate audience feedback. The DJ put on a really weak track, no-one came onto the floor and those couples that were already on it just stood holding hands looking at the DJ waiting for the next track - which he put on very quickly:waycool: We need a medleys/mixes reaction to show DJs we don't like what they're doing - maybe some kind of hand signal :devil:

I think you're right that the Lindy music/style at Hipsters is more laid back - my argument is that if it was a pure Modern Jive night the mix would be different and better for the person who only does Modern Jive. I still go on a Tuesday so I can't mind that much. As you say, the Wednesdays do have beginner/intermediate appropriate music because there's beginners. In my opinion beginners are essential for a good night as they will be our future dance partners when we've worn out the current batch:what: On that front, I always try to dance with every beginner everywhere I go. And I'm surprised at the number of experienced dancers that don't do the same:devil: I've lost count of the neumber of times I've been told by fantastic dancers that they remember me dancing with them on their first night:wink: One lovely woman even said to me 'You were the only man who ever asked me to dance when I was a fat, ugly beginner'. Of course I had to say I don't remember her as ugly - which was not quite true, I didn't remember her at all as a beginner:confused:

Andy McGregor
13th-August-2003, 04:36 PM
One lovely woman even said to me 'You were the only man who ever asked me to dance when I was a fat, ugly beginner'.

p.s. I don't think it was the Tramp, but you can never be sure with him:devil:

Will
13th-August-2003, 04:44 PM
Took the words right out of my mouth.:wink:

TheTramp
13th-August-2003, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Will
Took the words right out of my mouth.:wink: And mine!

Steve

Sheepman
13th-August-2003, 05:12 PM
In my opinion beginners are essential for a good night as they will be our future dance partners when we've worn out the current batch:what: On that front, I always try to dance with every beginner everywhere I go.
Don't get me wrong, I was only having a winge at the music, not the dancers, totally agree re dancing with beginners, and this is one of the bad points when working towards a competition, not enough time to get round and dance with enough partners. In fact I should add to my dance highlights comments from a lady who is now a leading light in the dance world, regarding the influence our early dances had. And I'm still trying to track down that lady who refused me a few weeks back with "Oh no, you're too good for me," despite my protestations. In fact, if anyone did decide to go with written codes of practice, this is a phrase that should be specifically banned at dance events.

Greg

Gadget
13th-August-2003, 05:23 PM
In my opinion beginners are essential for a good night as they will be our future dance partners when we've worn out the current batch:what: On that front, I always try to dance with every beginner everywhere I go. And I'm surprised at the number of experienced dancers that don't do the same:devil:
I'm sure that there are a few old threads delving into this subject; I'm with you on this 100% - I try and dance with every new face I see in a class.
Recently I have noticed that there is a fairly high proportion of beginners who have talent and just lack experiance - is this just a local phenominon {do doo be do do} ?

stewart38
14th-August-2003, 03:19 PM
Windsor is usally good although the music can put some people off . Up to 300 there,less then 150 in current weather

Uxbridge Thursday is good

Chesham draws a older crowd probably due to the music/teacing etc which is fine

Guildford Monday is good but can get very crowded

Fleet good

Is Bracknell still running,that was my worse expereince

ps How can anyone drive 3hrs to go to a dance during the week ? I want there job !

Lounge Lizard
15th-August-2003, 10:38 PM

Fleet, run by Jivebug, I rarely make their Thursday nights, but the Saturdays once per month are excellent. Greg

good, hope you can make this Saturday as I am the DJ

Sheepman
18th-August-2003, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Lounge Lizard
good, hope you can make this Saturday as I am the DJ
Sorry Peter, we were on a non dance w/e!! (In Norfolk)
I hear you had a slick move at the end of the band's second set - a true professional!

Hope to see you next Sunday in Eastbourne.

Greg

Lounge Lizard
18th-August-2003, 02:54 PM
Sorry Peter, we were on a non dance w/e!! (In Norfolk)
I hear you had a slick move at the end of the band's second set - a true professional!

Hope to see you next Sunday in Eastbourne.

Greg

hi, yes nearly an awkward moment, I am at Fleet this thursday, or see you Sunday - Alex and his mate 'Mac' is playing a set!

Sheepman
18th-August-2003, 04:13 PM
I hear this Mac's a real cool dude with all the best sounds, I hope his hardware performs!

Greg

Rachel
20th-August-2003, 01:32 PM
I think you're right about Hipsters music being great - apart from one small gripe I've got about the Lindy music they play a bit of on a Tuesday....

Having said all that, I regularly go to Hipsters on both nights but I prefer Wednesdays as they play the best Modern Jive music around. Oh we obviously differ very much here. I love Tuesday's music at Hipsters. The best I've ever come across at any venue. Yes, the music also caters for the Lindy dancers, but I've never done Lindy and I love dancing modern jive to it. Ok, maybe in theory I'm not supposed to, but I do. By contrast, the music played on Wednesdays is almost enough to put me off going altogether, even though I love the venue and people - they play soooo many of those Motown classics, and exactly the same last song every single week....

But then, it's all personal opinion, isn't it - things wouldn't be right if we were all the same ...
Rachel

Will
20th-August-2003, 01:39 PM
Well my preference would be for JB and RC to take it in turns to play alternate songs. On Tuesdays its virtually all Swing and on Wednesdays - Modern. How about a mix on both nights?

Paul F
20th-August-2003, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Rachel
Oh we obviously differ very much here. I love Tuesday's music at Hipsters. The best I've ever come across at any venue. Yes, the music also caters for the Lindy dancers, but I've never done Lindy and I love dancing modern jive to it. Ok, maybe in theory I'm not supposed to, but I do. Rachel

Definately got to agree with Rachel here. Maybe it is because im a huge Jon Brett fan but the music is fantastic.

The fact that he does play up-tempo music to cater for the Lindy crowd is what sets it apart from the other nights in London. It adds a bit of variety.

Lately i have become slightly lethargic with my dancing as im going a bit too often but never the less, tuesdays at Ealing are by far and away the best nights.
Although it is getting slightly TOO busy for my liking......

Some people are never satisfied!! :sorry

Rachel
20th-August-2003, 02:17 PM
Maybe it is because im a huge Jon Brett fan Yeah - I'll join you in the hero worship!!

Um, Paul, please forgive me ... but know you, don't I? I mean, I remember talking to someone who was about to move to Manchester and all ... but I can't put a face to the 'Paul' name at the moment. Are you usually at Hipsters?
Rachel

Paul F
20th-August-2003, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Rachel
Yeah - I'll join you in the hero worship!!

Um, Paul, please forgive me ... but know you, don't I? I mean, I remember talking to someone who was about to move to Manchester and all ... but I can't put a face to the 'Paul' name at the moment. Are you usually at Hipsters?
Rachel

I do believe you do Rachel. Admittedly i am struggling to put a face to the name though. So many people i have met in my 11 months down here.
Yes i used to be a die hard tuesday hipster! but I do my training on a tuesday now at an alternate venue. I still try my best to get there though.

and yes, unfortunately, i am moving back up to manchester soon, about 12th sep. Im gutted as i dont want to leave the London scene but I will try my best to get Ceroc going in the North West.

If anyone is on here from the North West I would love to hear from you.

Its a bit of a wilderness up there for ceroc but hopefully that will change.

Im off to hipsters tonight i think if you are going. If you are I will be the one under the clock with a red carnation :what: ooer!!

If not, i will hopefully catch you for a dance next week.

Rachel
20th-August-2003, 04:24 PM
Im off to hipsters tonight See you there, then! I think most the other forum members there can point me out, if you want. (So glad I haven't offended you - I'll probably kick myself when I realise who you are. We probably dance every week!)
R.

Lounge Lizard
20th-August-2003, 06:58 PM
Can I join in the Jon Bett fan club.
In my opinion he is easily the best dj on the ceroc/modern jive circuit and does not need Roger to play alternative tracks!

He plays lindy friendly tracks that are jiveable because they also teach lindy at hipsters,

Roger has his own style and this is reflected on Wednesdays.

However for the next two weeks you will have alternative dj's at Hipsters while JB is at beach boogie.

Next week is Chris Vessy - the man responsible for all the DJ's at the camber/bognor events.

Will
21st-August-2003, 12:55 AM
Forget JB or Roger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The best DJ is WOGAN.

I'd pay £20 to get into Hipsters if they could get him.

Chicklet
21st-August-2003, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by Will
Forget JB or Roger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The best DJ is WOGAN.

Have to pull you up on this one Will, old Noely is knocking spots of TW in the afternoons at the mo!

Think he's lining himself up for a prime slot somewhere!

Paul F
21st-August-2003, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by Lounge Lizard

Roger has his own style and this is reflected on Wednesdays.

I went to Hipsters last night (Wednesday) for the first time. WOW ! :) What a great night.

The class from Victor was nothing short of brilliant and the music was right up there too. Thought a couple of the songs were , well, rather weird. A couple of tracks simply had very strange breaks in it which brought people to a stop on the dance floor and a couple of tracks went on for the best part of 10 minutes. Apart from this the music was very expressive and rather original.

I was really happy that a lot of the tuesday lot were there too. RACHEL - I still didnt manage an introduction. I probably danced with you too :grin: Thought my bright orange t-shirt would have made me stand out!!

Last night was also the first time i danced with Divi and Lily. I cannot believe i havn't danced with either of these two fantastic dancers before :tears: :tears:

and im moving away too :tears: :tears:

Paul F
21st-August-2003, 09:22 AM
:what: :what:

TheTramp
21st-August-2003, 09:43 AM
Last night was also the first time i danced with Divi and Lily. and im moving away too :tears: :tears: Yeah. After I danced with those two, I wanted to move away as well Paul :D

Steve

Rachel
21st-August-2003, 09:48 AM
RACHEL - I still didnt manage an introduction. Damn, damn, damn, damn, damn ... how did we manage to miss each other??? Next time ...!

Still, if you were dancing with Lily and Divi, sounds like you got the best. Not surprised you had such a good night!

Oh, and after my moan yesterday, I ought to say that the music, in my opinion, was much much better last night. Big improvement. (Still the same last track, though - which isn't necessarily bad, except that it happens to be one that I have always hated. With a vengence ...)
Rachel

Paul F
21st-August-2003, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by TheTramp
Yeah. After I danced with those two, I wanted to move away as well Paul :D

Steve

:grin: :grin: :grin:

TheTramp
21st-August-2003, 10:03 AM
:grin: :grin: :grin: You realise of course that I'm going to be in so much trouble later on when Divi and Lily both log in.

I think I need to move further away now!! :na:

Steve

Paul F
21st-August-2003, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by TheTramp
You realise of course that I'm going to be in so much trouble later on when Divi and Lily both log in.

I think I need to move further away now!! :na:

Steve

Hows your swahili :D

Sheepman
21st-August-2003, 11:03 AM
Thought my bright orange t-shirt would have made me stand out!!
Sorry, I missed you too, can't recall any orange shirts, suppose I was too busy looking at the women :sorry (and still not noticing when their clothing was falling off!)
If you didn't dance with Rachel you definitely missed out, I was trying a policy of dancing just one number with each partner, so as to get round as many as poss, but I had to make an exception for Rachel last night. (Did miss out with Lily and Divi though :sad: )

Greg

TheTramp
21st-August-2003, 11:05 AM
Hows your swahili :D Not good enough. I was actually thinking of maybe practising my Australian!!

Steve

Paul F
21st-August-2003, 11:05 AM
Sorry, I missed you too, can't recall any orange shirts, suppose I was too busy looking at the women :sorry (and still not noticing when their clothing was falling off!)

Greg

Understandable :D

I think i have just worked out who you are actually greg. Well, ok, i didnt work anything out .......could it have been when Victor asked who was manning the bar???:confused:

Rachel
21st-August-2003, 11:19 AM
If you didn't dance with Rachel you definitely missed out, I was trying a policy of dancing just one number with each partner, so as to get round as many as poss, but I had to make an exception for Rachel last night. (Did miss out with Lily and Divi though :sad: )

Greg I do that, too, nowadays - try to have just one dance with anyone, so I can dance with more people in an evening. I feel honoured though, Greg, that you wanted another dance. Oooh, but weren't they gorgeous dances, though??? I thoroughly enjoyed them!
Rachel

Sheepman
21st-August-2003, 11:35 AM
.....could it have been when Victor asked who was manning the bar??? Yes that might have been it! (Shame he didn't know who I was though! - But there's no reason he should have.)

First posted by Rachel
Oooh, but weren't they gorgeous dances, though??? I'd expect nothing less from you!

Greg