PDA

View Full Version : Why don't they all do that.

Lee Bartholomew
20th-June-2007, 02:03 PM
Was anounced at Bath that Ceroc Live are going to be placing deodorants in the toilets during their classes. What a great idea. :respect:

I know we should all wear deodorant before going, but you would be supprised at how many men you see in the loos, changing their shirt without a top up.

For the sake of a few quid, why dont all the venues start doing that? Think it's been mentioned before that ceroc might be missing a trick by not selling it at the door.

Lory
20th-June-2007, 02:06 PM
I have to say, CerocMetro have been already doing this for the past couple of years :respect:

Tessalicious
20th-June-2007, 02:14 PM
We've been doing that at Muswell Hill since day 1. It does help, especially if you get any complaints about anyone being 'unhygienic' you can simply suggest that they make use of it before they have any more dances.

Lee Bartholomew
20th-June-2007, 02:18 PM
It's a first for any venue I have been to. Should be a standard thing though. Maybe it's something thats just catching on.

David Bailey
20th-June-2007, 02:22 PM
We've been doing that at Muswell Hill since day 1. It does help, especially if you get any complaints about anyone being 'unhygienic' you can simply suggest that they make use of it before they have any more dances.
Ah, but do you sell mints? :)

Tessalicious
20th-June-2007, 02:27 PM
Ah, but do you sell mints? :)No, they're free and laid out on all the tables. In wrappers so they're not covered in other people's sweaty fingers. :na:

Astro
20th-June-2007, 02:30 PM
It's a first for any venue I have been to. Should be a standard thing though. Maybe it's something thats just catching on.

I've never seen any either.
Great idea, it would save me having to lug mine around with me.

David Bailey
20th-June-2007, 02:38 PM
No, they're free and laid out on all the tables. In wrappers so they're not covered in other people's sweaty fingers. :na:
Cor, that sounds dead posh that does. I bet you've got a really good teacher there too :respect: :na:

Tessalicious
20th-June-2007, 02:42 PM
Cor, that sounds dead posh that does. I bet you've got a really good teacher there too :respect: :na:Hell yeah, and the demo's pretty sexy too. Shame about the DJ, eh.

David Bailey
20th-June-2007, 02:50 PM
Hell yeah, and the demo's pretty sexy too. Shame about the DJ, eh.
Well, you can't have everything.

Maybe you should teach ochos there too, I hear that's what Good Teachers do.

What was this thread about, again?

Astro
20th-June-2007, 02:57 PM
What was this thread about, again?

Hygiene.

Please could venues make sure there is soap in the men's toilets. It just doesn't bare thinking about.:sick:

Martin
20th-June-2007, 03:29 PM

Been around in NZ Wellington for a while as well... maybe Bath is just catching on.....

I take, underarm stuff, flannel, towel and changes of tops as standard bag kit, along with plasters, safety pins and headache tablets (although the last 3 are mainly for the girlies :love: ).

Lory
20th-June-2007, 03:40 PM
along with plasters, safety pins and headache tablets (although the last 3 are mainly for the girlies :love: ).

We like men like you :hug:

Lee Bartholomew
20th-June-2007, 03:44 PM
Been around in NZ Wellington for a while as well... maybe Bath is just catching on.....

I take, underarm stuff, flannel, towel and changes of tops as standard bag kit, along with plasters, safety pins and headache tablets (although the last 3 are mainly for the girlies :love: ).

Been to venues all over the country and never seen it.

Hopefully it will catch on propper

Martin
20th-June-2007, 03:48 PM
Been to venues all over the country and never seen it.

Hopefully it will catch on propper

Lets hope so, they also do it in Queensland - Gold Coast and Brisbane + of course the mints - but I do think it should be part of ones dance kit...

Martin
20th-June-2007, 03:51 PM
We like men like you :hug:

Thanks Lory, a hang over from doing champs, sometimes you get tacky safety pins, so bring your own good ones, all girls need plasters at some point :flower: and the stress of champs brings on the headaches....

About once a month at least I delve into my bag for the ladies :love:

Lee Bartholomew
20th-June-2007, 03:51 PM
Lets hope so, they also do it in Queensland - Gold Coast and Brisbane + of course the mints - but I do think it should be part of ones dance kit...

Definatly. I always keep a can in there, but there are people that don't. What about beginners and stuff, or the man who always forgets

StokeBloke
20th-June-2007, 04:03 PM
Revolution Dance do this at class nights and freestyles too. It is small touches like this that lift a venue above the others. :D

Spiky Steve
20th-June-2007, 05:58 PM

How about someone selling this stuff on the night. Cheap towels for example. I know I'm not the only one to have forgotten mine on occasion or had it borrowed on the night. Just a cheap one from a supermarket will do and not £10 because it has a logo!

Would anyone like this or anything else sold on the night?

Steve

Martin
20th-June-2007, 06:02 PM
How about someone selling this stuff on the night. Cheap towels for example. I know I'm not the only one to have forgotten mine on occasion or had it borrowed on the night. Just a cheap one from a supermarket will do and not £10 because it has a logo!

Would anyone like this or anything else sold on the night?

Steve

Simple Spiky - never forget your towel.. take at least 2 spare tops and underarm stuff...:flower:

OR pay 10 pounds coz you smell like a pig :really: :whistle: :rofl: :rofl:

philsmove
20th-June-2007, 06:06 PM
I think this has been discussed once of twice before, but I don’t think covering up the fact you have not washed, showered or changed your shirt, by applying some deodorant is particularly hygienic :flower:

Martin
20th-June-2007, 06:16 PM
I think this has been discussed once of twice before, but I don’t think covering up the fact you have not washed, showered or changed your shirt, by applying some deodorant is particularly hygienic :flower:

has been discussed, but we have to remember there are new people on the forum all the time.:hug: so still good

Wash or shower, change of clothes.. some people do forget. Not good.

It takes me back to a particular girl who was incredibly sexy, who had the hots for me... thing is she was a dance teacher by day.... came to MJ/Ceroc ... but forgot to wash before... sex factor 100% smell factor 1%

:what:

Lory
20th-June-2007, 06:22 PM
but forgot to wash
Sorry, there's loads of things one could be forgiven for forgetting but WASHING???? :really:

Martin
20th-June-2007, 06:27 PM
Sorry, there's loads of things one could be forgiven for forgetting but WASHING???? :really:

you will be amazed the amount of people who turn up to ceroc from work without washing!!!

Could be a new poll - if only people were honest

Double Trouble
20th-June-2007, 06:32 PM

:yeah: There's no excuse for not washing before dancing.

When you think how close the contact is, even on beginners moves, it's amazing that anyone would assume it's ok not to wash. Yuk...!:sick:

frodo
20th-June-2007, 07:21 PM
:yeah:

IMO wet wipes are preferable to deodorant. Though deodorising wet wipes might be best of all.

Also the lingering smell from cans of deodorant is often quite sickening over a wide area. (I assume any deodorant provided by a venue will be aerosols for hygiene reasons).

I know we should all wear deodorant before going, but you would be supprised at how many men you see in the loos, changing their shirt without a top up...
There is strong logic in replacing deodorant removed by a wet wipe etc.

The utility of 'topping up' during basic shirt changes seems debatable.

Spiky Steve
21st-June-2007, 12:22 PM
It takes me back to a particular girl who was incredibly sexy, who had the hots for me... thing is she was a dance teacher by day.... came to MJ/Ceroc ... but forgot to wash before... sex factor 100% smell factor 1%

So you thought this girl had the hots for you. The lengths people go to to make it clear she didn't :wink: :flower:

Twirly
21st-June-2007, 12:44 PM
you will be amazed the amount of people who turn up to ceroc from work without washing!!!

But surely that depends in part on what your job is? The woman you mentioned was a dance teacher - she was bound to get sweaty during the day and washing would be the obvious thing to do.

If you're at a desk job all day, it's not quite the same. You don't get sweaty! It's not always possible to wash in workplace toilets as there is no privacy. However, a wipe with a deodorising towel or good spray of deodorant and a change of top should sort that out, so long as you showered and were clean that morning. This is what I used to do, and I have it on good authority that I've never smelt anything less than sweet! Having said all that, if I go home before dancing (which I do a lot at the moment), I shower.

I'm hypernosmic (which sort of makes Beo and I quite well matched as he's anosmic - I'm slightly deaf, he has super-sensitive hearing) and can detect smells that other people can't. Yesterday, my colleague was having a meeting with two women at her desk, next to mine. Every time I went past, I could smell one of them. :sick: I mentioned it afterwards, and neither her, nor another colleague nearby, could detect a thing. I know that this applies to my own personal body odours too, from a conversation with a friend recently (not saying any more than that!).

Lee Bartholomew
21st-June-2007, 12:55 PM
In hastings there used to be a fish monger and his wife. the whole room stank. Don't know if he didn't shower or if it was just engrained on him.

Astro
21st-June-2007, 02:03 PM

(I assume any deodorant provided by a venue will be aerosols for hygiene reasons).
No, no, no, aerosols harm the planet.:angry:

I use roll on, despite having to wait for it to dry. However it dries quick if you blow hot air on yourself from the hand dryer in some toilets.

There is strong logic in replacing deodorant removed by a wet wipe etc. Yes, I use wet wipes to wipe off the old deoderant, before applying new.

The utility of 'topping up' during basic shirt changes seems debatable. I agree, putting new over old does not work.

Twirly
21st-June-2007, 02:06 PM

True, but do you really want to use a roll-on in the loos at your venue which has been used by everyone else and will have their sweat/skin cells on it? :what: :sick: Roll-ons are fine for private use, but not communal. You can get pump action sprays though - they would be better.

Astro
21st-June-2007, 02:18 PM
True, but do you really want to use a roll-on in the loos at your venue which has been used by everyone else and will have their sweat/skin cells on it? :what: :sick:

I was thinking along the lines of small individual roll -ons, like Tessalicious's mints.

You can get pump action sprays though - they would be better.

Yes, my second choice would be a communal pump action spray, more green too.

Stuart
21st-June-2007, 05:30 PM
In hastings there used to be a fish monger and his wife. the whole room stank. Don't know if he didn't shower or if it was just engrained on him.

My brother used to manage a fish counter in Sainsbury's and I can confirm that the smell does become ingrained after a while.

I noticed that there was a can of deoderant for general use in the Gents at the last Twyford freestyle. I tend to use the freebie samples that Nivea were giving away in Reading town centre a little while back. Walk two or three times through the shopping centre and its amazing how many you can accumulate:nice:

SteveK
22nd-June-2007, 04:23 AM

But surely that depends in part on what your job is? The woman you mentioned was a dance teacher - she was bound to get sweaty during the day and washing would be the obvious thing to do.

If you're at a desk job all day, it's not quite the same. You don't get sweaty!

:yeah: Could someone explain why I need to shower/wash between a day at work sat at my desk & then going straight out dancing afterwards. During the daytime, the most exercise I ever get is walking the 25 metres across the office to the kitchen to get myself a cup of tea. The office is air conditioned to a cool temperature (some of my colleagues wear a jumper in the office due to the cold).

If I've lots of work to do, I'll quite happily go straight from work to dancing, with just enough time to grab some tea via a takeaway enroute. I don't have time to get washed, and consider it of negligible benefit. I'll get far more sweaty in the first 10 minutes that I'm dancing than I would have done for the whole previous 11 hours of the day!

My concern is more about making sure that I eat something completely non-smelly as I consider this to be more important. I would normally try to brush my teeth before going out if I have time; I reckon that mints are just a vague attempt to mask a smell, whilst brushing teeth followed by mouthwash actually reduces breath smell.

Martin
22nd-June-2007, 05:21 AM
If I've lots of work to do, I'll quite happily go straight from work to dancing, with just enough time to grab some tea via a takeaway enroute. I don't have time to get washed, and consider it of negligible benefit. I'll get far more sweaty in the first 10 minutes that I'm dancing than I would have done for the whole previous 11 hours of the day!

Yes you are one of the smelly ones...:sick:

Wash and go...

new sweat does not smell.:cheers:

SteveK
22nd-June-2007, 06:05 AM
Yes you are one of the smelly ones...:sick:

Wash and go...

new sweat does not smell.:cheers:

But if I'm sat at my desk on a Fri afternoon getting distracted by dance fora websites, I'm only going to sweat a negligible amount. If I only sweat a negligible amount, won't I only smell a negligible amount? :love:

(Don't get me wrong, I attempt to be as smell neutral as possible, but how can I get smelly if it's cold in the office, I had a shower before I left home in the morning, and I'm doing no physical effort?)

Martin
22nd-June-2007, 06:31 AM
But if I'm sat at my desk on a Fri afternoon getting distracted by dance fora websites, I'm only going to sweat a negligible amount. If I only sweat a negligible amount, won't I only smell a negligible amount? :love:

(Don't get me wrong, I attempt to be as smell neutral as possible, but how can I get smelly if it's cold in the office, I had a shower before I left home in the morning, and I'm doing no physical effort?)

speak to my ex.... she had the same argument :really: :eek: :sick:

So you now smell a negligable amount...:what:

Wash and go...:D

DavidY
22nd-June-2007, 07:51 AM
Please could venues make sure there is soap in the men's toilets.Why just the men's? Are you saying that the women's toliets don't need soap?:confused:

Lory
22nd-June-2007, 08:10 AM
Why just the men's? Are you saying that the women's toliets don't need soap?:confused:

Of course, it goes without saying ;)

but I also feel obliged to point out a major difference between the genders here... women don't actually need to have any form of direct contact with their genitalia to go to the loo, in fact, i'd go as far as to say it would be strange if they did!

MartinHarper
22nd-June-2007, 04:24 PM
I thought toilet hand dryers were meant to be a breeding place for germs. Musta misread.

Another thing that harms the planet is excessive washing.

Double Trouble
22nd-June-2007, 05:44 PM

Surely having one shower a day is not excessive. You can bet your ass there are a lot of dancers who do not manage one shower a week, let alone a day.

I'm sure having a 2 minute shower every day uses less water than a bath once a week, which is what folks did 50 years ago.

Please educate me as to how washing is bad for the planet.

Astro
22nd-June-2007, 07:01 PM
I thought toilet hand dryers were meant to be a breeding place for germs. Musta misread.

No, you are RIGHT Martin. I try never to use them, as the germs come out of the ventilation system with the hot air.

(It's the same with air vents too. A doctor told my friend that the intensive care ward at St.Thomas's in London was the worst ward, as all the ducts emptied there germs there. This was 20 years ago, not now).

In fact, yesterday I bought a deoderant stick, which doesn't leave marks on black clothes, and dries instantly.

Recycled paper towels or the old towel roller system. Which is greener?[/quote]

That's where men win out. They have a smaller carbon footprint because they wash less.

Though personally I have to queue or sneak in quick for my my shower, because my two teenage boys spend hours in there. (not together, I might add).

Dan
23rd-June-2007, 05:43 PM
Surely having one shower a day is not excessive. You can bet your ass there are a lot of dancers who do not manage one shower a week, let alone a day.

Cor some people really pong! I can perhaps understand that some people choose to go dancing straight from work, and just freshen up, as much they can.
But unless they have a medical reason or they have been doing hard labour (?), there is no way that a person can smell so bad in half a day.

MartinHarper
25th-June-2007, 09:18 AM
Surely having one shower a day is not excessive.

Sure. I prefer to have my shower a day in the morning, so I can wash the stale sweat off from yesterday, rather than having it between work and dancing. There seemed to be a suggestion that this was insufficient.

Martin
25th-June-2007, 09:29 AM
Sure. I prefer to have my shower a day in the morning, so I can wash the stale sweat off from yesterday, rather than having it between work and dancing. There seemed to be a suggestion that this was insufficient.

Yup, that is what I was suggesting :grin:

There is always some build up of bacteira during the day, even after a morning shower, then if you sweat while dancing, it is the old bacteria that causes the smell, a simple wash under the arms before dancing takes 1 minute. :flower: Even a wet wipe and a towel - not too much effort.

Twirly
25th-June-2007, 02:44 PM
Yup, that is what I was suggesting :grin:

There is always some build up of bacteira during the day, even after a morning shower, then if you sweat while dancing, it is the old bacteria that causes the smell, a simple wash under the arms before dancing takes 1 minute. :flower: Even a wet wipe and a towel - not too much effort.

If all you are doing is office work and not working up a sweat during the day AND you've used a decent anti-perspirant/deodorant (combined version) in the morning after you've showered, then you should not be smelly by the end of the day. The whole purpose of these products is to either stop you sweating and/or kill off the bacteria which cause the smell. So if you've committed bacterial genocide in the morning, you should be safe. If you've got problems after that, then it might be worth having it checked out medically, as there could be something else wrong.

Of course women who shave their armpits have an advantage here - the hair under the arms is gives these bacteria a home. Remove it, and you cut down the bacteria.

Although it's not always possible for me to shower prior to going dancing, where it is, I unfortuantely end up having 3 showers in the day - morning, before dancing, after dancing. I HATE going to bed all sweaty :sick: