PDA

View Full Version : Bristol Dance Championships?

Andy McGregor
11th-August-2003, 09:21 AM
Instead of coming last in Bristol on Saturday I was coming last in a Yacht race in Cowes Week:tears: :tears:

But we did come third in one race :D

How did things go in Bristol?

How was the day?

Who won?

Who should have won?:wink:

How was the music, judging, venue and most importantly, the dancing?

p.s. I've just noticed that in starting my first thread I've also send my 100th reply and become a 'member':waycool:

TheTramp
11th-August-2003, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by Andy McGregor
Instead of coming last in Bristol on Saturday I was coming last in a Yacht race in Cowes Week:tears: :tears:

But we did come third in one race :D

How did things go in Bristol?

How was the day?

Who won?

Who should have won?:wink:

How was the music, judging, venue and most importantly, the dancing?

p.s. I've just noticed that in starting my first thread I've also send my 100th reply and become a 'member':waycool: This is already done (well, parts of it), in the thread about Bristol in the social events area. And I can't be bothered typing it out all over again :)

Go read it in there!!

Congrats on your own 3rd place though! :D

Steve

Divissima
11th-August-2003, 10:04 AM
Faster than a speeding bullet - or at least faster than the leroc2000 website - here are some results from the Bristol comp (hope I can post this - it happened already so can't be inciting people to go there, surely??). I have to apologise for only posting incomplete results - although lots of the faces were familiar, I don't know the names of lots of the couples - please fill in the blanks if you know them...

Will and his gorgeous and graceful partner Kate carried (nearly) all before them to WIN the Advanced category. The competition was really fierce but their win was well deserved indeed! An awesome display They were runners up in the showcase category with their beautiful routine to Sherherezade (sorry - bound to have mangled the spelling) - beaten to the top spot by the spectacular Andy & Rena.

I think second in advanced were Jenny Slade and Simon Bowker - they put on a display of their unique ckeeky and stylish moves.

In joint third (dead heat with the couple who came second in the airsteps category in Blackpool) were the slick and sassy Trampy and Debster. Looking good in the ramp-up to the final of the Jive Masters, guys!! Deb did disappoint many by wearing a miniscule skirt (rather than the hotpants).

Tramp and his two ladies were runners up in the Double Trouble - looking amazing as only Steve can on about 10 minutes of rehearsal

In the intermediate section I'm afraid the names are all unknown to me - some really fantastic dancers in the field. Toby and I reached the final and danced our little hearts out. Thank you everyone who cheered us on - it made a huge difference.

The man who won DWAS also won the Intermediate section (but I don't know his name - he was fab in both categories) - his partner danced double trouble with the Tramp. Mark (of Mark & Jackie) came second with his DWAS partner and I can't remember third place (apologies).

Loads of familiar faces there - Sheepman and Mary were great (I'll never know how you dance in that hat, Sheepy!) and the standard overall was very high. David and Bryony did their spectacular routine to Bjork - looking great as ever.

As for the venue - it was very good. The floor is lovely and not too fast. And there is aircon - except for the two hours where the electricity supply was interrupted on the main circuit meaning the venue became absolutely stifling. During that time there was greatly reduced lighting too.

The judging was pretty good, I thought. I wouldn't have fancied the job myself! Others are bound to have their own views, though. Music was a bit bizarre at times but overall it was fine - one heat of the advanced had the fastest track I've ever heard in competition (Shakira - something about 'tango'?).

Divissima
11th-August-2003, 10:05 AM
Trampy wrote: This is already done (well, parts of it), in the thread about Bristol in the social events area.
Bugger

TheTramp
11th-August-2003, 10:12 AM
Yeah. I was in the advanced heat that had Shakira.

It was 'Objection (Tango)', and I've been looking at it this morning. It comes in at 179.4bpm, which considering that Zoot Suit Riot is only 184, shows how fast it was. It's also bloody long (3mins 42 seconds), though, it felt like about 5 hours!!!

Steve

Andy McGregor
11th-August-2003, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by TheTramp
This is already done (well, parts of it), in the thread about Bristol in the social events area. And I can't be bothered typing it out all over again :)

Go read it in there!!

Congrats on your own 3rd place though! :D

Steve

Thanks Steve. I don't look in the social events section much as the Scottish social scene sounds fantastic and makes me want to move from Brighton. That's not to say it's bad here but it doesn't get reported so eloquently on the Scottish Forum.

And thank you Devissima. As it happens it looks like you wrote the roport just for me. And it was lovely :cheers:

Lou
11th-August-2003, 11:08 AM
Hey, Divissima! It was nice to meet you - however briefly! :grin: Oh, and well done, Will! :cheers:

Divissima
11th-August-2003, 11:41 AM
Hi Lou
Yes - great to meet you at last. I love your signature - did he not even ask before flinging you around like that!!??!:eek: :eek:

Lou
11th-August-2003, 12:45 PM
It's not that I didn't agree - it's just with John, you only get one way. :shrug: So I went with it.

It wasn't quite what I'd hoped would happen in DWAS, however, it's the nature of the competition, and it was fun doing something I'd not tried before.

Will
11th-August-2003, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Lou
Hey, Divissima! It was nice to meet you - however briefly! :grin: Oh, and well done, Will! :cheers:

Ta Very much Lou. I've resisted posting this morning as I was worried I might suddenly wake up and realise it had all been a dream. I did get clobbered in the head during our showcase which could have left me with halluscinations.:confused:

TheTramp
11th-August-2003, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Will
I did get clobbered in the head during our showcase which could have left me with halluscinations.:confused: He certainly did. Chicklet and I watched, and re-watched that about 10 times yesterday. Was the funniest thing. Definitely going to send that in to 'You've been framed' :D

Steve

Will
11th-August-2003, 01:22 PM
Ah - But this time it was NOT my fault. My head was there first. :mad:

LilyB
11th-August-2003, 01:48 PM
Ah - But this time it was NOT my fault. My head was there first. :mad:

You mean you didn't forget it???!!! (your head, that is :wink: )
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

LilyB

TheTramp
11th-August-2003, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by LilyB
You mean you didn't forget it???!!! (your head, that is :wink: )
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

LilyB Nope. And he even remembered his other prop this time in the showcase.

If I'd have been Kate, I think that given his track record, I wouldn't have planned a showcase with any props for him to remember..... :wink:

Steve

Divissima
11th-August-2003, 01:56 PM
Hasn't Will suffered enough? After that blow to the head, it's a wonder he didn't throw Kate through the (low) partition ceiling.

TheTramp
11th-August-2003, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Divissima
Hasn't Will suffered enough? Don't be silly....

Steve

Will
11th-August-2003, 02:16 PM
It's nothing compared to what happened during practice. One time during the "helicopter", she didn't get her leg high enough to clear my head and instead executed a perfect "Round-House Kick". I nearly had to wear a neck brace after that. :(

TheTramp
11th-August-2003, 02:24 PM
And you probably think that it was an accident Will?

Steve

DavidB
11th-August-2003, 02:40 PM
she didn't get her leg high enough to clear my head and instead executed a perfect "Round-House Kick". I nearly had to wear a neck brace after that. Let me rephrase that on Kate's behalf. Will did not lift Kate up high enough, and as a result Kate caught Will's head.

LilyB
11th-August-2003, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by DavidB
Let me rephrase that on Kate's behalf. Will did not lift Kate up high enough, and as a result Kate caught Will's head.

Ditto!:wink:

Always remember, if a move doesn't work - it's the man's fault!!! :D :D :D

LilyB

Will
11th-August-2003, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by LilyB
Ditto!:wink:

Always remember, if a move doesn't work - it's the man's fault!!! :D :D :D

LilyB

The move was working fine until she stopped to eat a tub of pasta and a palette of Strawberrys. :reallymad

Graham
11th-August-2003, 03:14 PM
The move was working fine until she stopped to eat tub of pasta and a palette of Strawberrys. :reallymad I think you may have crossed the line - you do realise you can NEVER do that move with her again? Or at least if you do the verdict will be suicide! :wink:

TheTramp
11th-August-2003, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Graham
I think you may have crossed the line - you do realise you can NEVER do that move with her again? Or at least if you do the verdict will be suicide! :wink: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Will
11th-August-2003, 03:41 PM
Rumour has it that all future dance events are to have a new catagory called "Russian Roulette!".

The rules are that you have to perform the helicopter move with the Tramp. Now baring in mind that the guy is a 45th Dan in Karate, if you don't get him high enough the ensuing roundhouse is guaranteed to decapitate any would-be competitor.

Personally, my money is on Lily to win this one.

TheTramp
11th-August-2003, 03:49 PM
Rumour has it that all future dance events are to have a new catagory called "Russian Roulette!".

The rules are that you have to perform the helicopter move with the Tramp. Now baring in mind that the guy is a 45th Dan in Karate, if you don't get him high enough the ensuing roundhouse is guaranteed to decapitate any would-be competitor.

Personally, my money is on Lily to win this one.But I don't do drugs!!

Just say no.

Steve

Lisa
11th-August-2003, 04:05 PM
It's nothing compared to what happened during practice. One time during the "helicopter", she didn't get her leg high enough to clear my head and instead executed a perfect "Round-House Kick". I nearly had to wear a neck brace after that. :(

The things you suffer for your art! :grin: Steve are you bringing the clip tomorrow?

Well done on winning Will!

Dance soon. Lisa x

TheTramp
11th-August-2003, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Lisa
The things you suffer for your art! :grin: Steve are you bringing the clip tomorrow?

Well done on winning Will!

Dance soon. Lisa x I could do if you bring a TV. It's a little hard to appreciate the full beauty of it, just watching it on the camcorder screen....!!

Steve

Lisa
11th-August-2003, 04:47 PM
Emmm... bringing a TV might be a bit of a tall order. I would like to have a wee peek though. Hope you and Deb are on there too. Well done 2!
No offers for the russian roulette yet.........? Maybe Will can start the ball rolling when he finally visits Scotland.

Lisa x

Graham W
13th-August-2003, 05:05 PM
..itll be partic good if he got that first round effort of the winners in - Kate was flying!! - it was worth paying money to watch that alone...(and nice to see a winner there for the second year running who didnt have their dance partner/demonstrator on the judging panel.). Glad Andy & Rena did their thing too - it's top notch...

G

Lou
14th-August-2003, 09:07 AM
btw... results are now posted on Sherif's website:

http://www.leroc2000.co.uk/championship_results.htm

no piccies yet (there are still some from last year).

Sheepman
15th-August-2003, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Graham W
..(and nice to see a winner there for the second year running who didnt have their dance partner/demonstrator on the judging panel.).
I'm confused by this bit, do you mean Graham Leclerc? 'Cos Sarah (his partner from last year) was also on the panel. Are you also implying that there is a problem with dance partners judging together? I can see that it maybe cuts down on the diversity of the judges, but I don't see any other problems.

Greg

TheTramp
15th-August-2003, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Sheepman
I'm confused by this bit, do you mean Graham Leclerc? 'Cos Sarah (his partner from last year) was also on the panel. Are you also implying that there is a problem with dance partners judging together? I can see that it maybe cuts down on the diversity of the judges, but I don't see any other problems.

Greg No. I think he's referring to the first year (2001), where someone (who shall remain nameless from me at least) won a couple of first places, when their dance partner was sitting on the panel as head judge. So this year was the second year running where that didn't happen.....

This is only intended as an explanation, and I am definitely making no comment on this at all.

Steve

Sheepman
15th-August-2003, 01:38 PM
Ah, thanks for the enlightenment.

G

Graham W
18th-August-2003, 06:59 PM
yes I was referring to 2001!!

ta