PDA

View Full Version : Name & Praise !

Minnie M
20th-June-2007, 07:24 AM
Well, who are your favourite Modern Jive teachers and why do you think they are so good :respect: and where do they teach :yeah:

It's about time these hard working dedicated guys get our good feedback :awe:

Beowulf
20th-June-2007, 09:56 AM
Well, who are your favourite Modern Jive teachers and why do you think they are so good :respect: and where do they teach :yeah:

LISA (Aberdeen)!! :clap: :respect: :worthy:

She's a really fantastic teacher, works the class afterwards in freestyle and not afraid to dance with numpties like me :wink:

And it always looks as if she's having a great time doing it. (teaching that is.. not Dancing with Numpties.. although she does always seem to be having fun.. perhaps it's just a fixed grimace when she dances with me :wink: :rofl:)

Daisy Chain
20th-June-2007, 11:55 AM
Kevin from the NW.

He's a funny, exceedingly competent teacher who always puts together a routine of leadable moves that flow into one another beautifully.

Plus he's fabulous to dance with in freestyle

Daisy

(An Impressed Little Flower)

PS Also think that Richard from Ceroc Clive in Bath is ace. Very very entertaining.

StokeBloke
20th-June-2007, 11:59 AM
Keith from Revolution Dance in Cheshire is an amazing teacher.

Everytime he initially walks through the routine I think.... no way can I do all those slick moves, then by the end of the class you really feel like you have gotten something really special from it - he makes it great fun too.

The best teacher I have ever had :respect: :respect: :respect:

Little Em
20th-June-2007, 12:05 PM
One of my fav teachers:

Lorna - Scotland - She is so much fun, and her musicality is ace.

Russell Saxby - London - SO relaxed, funny, and love his moves.

x

Lee Bartholomew
20th-June-2007, 12:12 PM
PS Also think that Richard from Ceroc Clive in Bath is ace. Very very entertaining.

I'll second that. Never off the floor after class. Even turns up to classes when he is not teaching. :respect:

He anounced last night that they are going to provide deoderants in the toilets at classes and events.

Miguel
20th-June-2007, 02:11 PM
I'll second that. Never off the floor after class. Even turns up to classes when he is not teaching.
I'll third that! Been to Swindon a few times and have to say that Richard Beauvoisin (http://www.ceroclive.com/crew.php) :respect: is simply the best.

Twirly
20th-June-2007, 02:39 PM
Russell Saxby - London - SO relaxed, funny, and love his moves.

x

:yeah: :clap: My first teacher too :awe: so always a soft spot. Usually around to dance with after the class too, which is always a treat.

Also George from Clapham on Wednesdays. Am sure that she teaches some of the toughest intermediate classes around - great if you like a challenge! And she must've had seargent major training at some point too, the way she marshalls the class :what: :D

Lee Bartholomew
20th-June-2007, 02:44 PM
I'll third that! Been to Swindon a few times and have to say that Richard Beauvoisin (http://www.ceroclive.com/crew.php) :respect: is simply the best.

Richard Is a top bloke. Will always take time out to give tip etc. Helped us a great deal with the double trouble.

No supprise that a majority of the ceroc champs are from down his way.

Astro
20th-June-2007, 03:42 PM
Usually around to dance with after the class too, which is always a treat.
Russell is great to dance with, and he goes round and asks the ladies after his classes.:yeah:

Also George from Clapham on Wednesdays. Am sure that she teaches some of the toughest intermediate classes around - great if you like a challenge! And she must've had seargent major training at some point too, the way she marshalls the class :what: :D
:yeah: I'm sure I've learnt load from George Rundles's classes. It's a class and a half.:respect: I plan on going out on Wednesdays to Clapham again soon as my circumstances have changed.

I'd like to add new teacher, Groovy dancer, Dale.
He always has time for me and is also great to dance with.:yeah:

Tiggerbabe
20th-June-2007, 04:46 PM
Russell is great to dance with, and he goes round and asks the ladies after his classes.:yeah:

Russell is a star, when the FEDS were on tour, he not only offered :whistle: to teach Sunday's Party class (at about 3am at the APP), he managed to include his "dare" in it and he then danced with every single lady in the room :respect: (and the married ones too :wink: )

He and Elaine also spent extra time with our beginners at Blaze :hug:

Martin
20th-June-2007, 04:53 PM

So Minnie M, do tell, who is your favorite :love:

Paulthetrainer
20th-June-2007, 05:40 PM
Steve Thomas at Salomons. :worthy:

Lee Bartholomew
21st-June-2007, 08:53 AM
Steve Thomas at Salomons. :worthy:

:yeah:

Steve is a great instructor and one of the most humorus too. Along with Ian being a great DJ, they have the highest retention ratio in the south and the higest percentage of younger dancers I have seen at any of the many venues I have been too.

Ian playing "music to watch girls by" when steve announced 30 ladies on one night was genius.

TurboTomato
21st-June-2007, 09:40 AM
:yeah:

Steve is a great instructor and one of the most humorus too. Along with Ian being a great DJ, they have the highest retention ratio in the south and the higest percentage of younger dancers I have seen at any of the many venues I have been too.

Ian playing "music to watch girls by" when steve announced 30 ladies on one night was genius.
:yeah: Thirded

Him and Lida are a fantastic teaching combo :D

Lou
21st-June-2007, 09:46 AM
No supprise that a majority of the ceroc champs are from down his way.:rofl: Richard is truly a top bloke and fab teacher, but I doubt he'd claim repsonsibility for the current crop of West Country champions...

Lee Bartholomew
21st-June-2007, 09:48 AM
:rofl: Richard is truly a top bloke and fab teacher, but I doubt he'd claim repsonsibility for the current crop of West Country champions...

Maybe not, but 3 champs can def thank him for his help (being me, blueeyes and Michelle). He took time out before a freestyle to give us tip and pointers :respect:

Infact at Bath last night, there was 5 current ceroc champs !!!!! Can any other venue proclaim to have so many champs in one place? All 5 of us are regulars too.

Lou
21st-June-2007, 11:38 AM
Infact at Bath last night, there was 5 current ceroc champs !!!!! Can any other venue proclaim to have so many champs in one place? All 5 of us are regulars too.

Ah, but what you have to remember is that Bristol's had a vibrant MJ scene for quite some time, and the majority of our champs had their start at LeRoc venues (and it's amazing to think that so many regularly attended the now defunct Yate class, considering how small it was). Ceroc™'s a relative newcomer in that part of the world. And I think it's fair to say that John Baker's Ceroc™ franchise has been equally responsible for some of the excellent dancers that we're seeing now. :wink:

Lee Bartholomew
21st-June-2007, 11:44 AM
Ah, but what you have to remember is that Bristol's had a vibrant MJ scene for quite some time, and the majority of our champs had their start at LeRoc venues (and it's amazing to think that so many regularly attended the now defunct Yate class, considering how small it was). Ceroc™'s a relative newcomer in that part of the world. And I think it's fair to say that John Baker's Ceroc™ franchise has been equally responsible for some of the excellent dancers that we're seeing now. :wink:

I agree. Not been in Bristol are for very long but even at Warmley when you went, there was 5 or 6 of us. Same at John Bakers Freestyles.

Not been to many dances in Bristol yet and only tried one local leroc class. Will get to them all over time im sure.

whitetiger1518
21st-June-2007, 12:18 PM
Someone has GOT to put this right. So here I go:

:worthy: :respect::respect: Franck :respect: :respect: :worthy:

Did you expect me to say anything else?

(ok then I'll get my coat :blush: )

Whitetiger

Zuhal
21st-June-2007, 03:45 PM
I recall Steve Thomas teaching a class after he had a knee op.

He sat in a chair and used two demos but he did the verbal teaching.

He taught a double handed turn move that required the man to turn under his own hand. While the pair demonstrated Steve left the mans face in his partners cleavage while Steve explained everything else including future workshops etc. Whole place was in stiches:clap:

Zuhal

Lee Bartholomew
21st-June-2007, 03:51 PM
I recall Steve Thomas teaching a class after he had a knee op.

He sat in a chair and used two demos but he did the verbal teaching.

He taught a double handed turn move that required the man to turn under his own hand. While the pair demonstrated Steve left the mans face in his partners cleavage while Steve explained everything else including future workshops etc. Whole place was in stiches:clap:

Zuhal

He has got to be one of the funniest teachers going. Brilliant DJ too.

Jamie
22nd-June-2007, 03:30 PM

Completely agree, Franck is the reason I get my arse out of bed on a weekender (and I'm sure most of you know how hard that is!) because I just love his classes. I'd love to go to one of his class nights one time when I'm on my travels up north.

Martin
22nd-June-2007, 04:41 PM

So Minnie M, you still have not told us your favorites... :what:

I :respect: graham for teaching me the basics. Brighton

Viktor and Mike Ellard for style and breaking the rules in London

Minnie M
22nd-June-2007, 05:12 PM
So Minnie M, you still have not told us your favorites... :what:

I :respect: graham for teaching me the basics. Brighton

Viktor and Mike Ellard for style and breaking the rules in London

Difficult for me to ask for favorite present MJ teachers as I hardly ever do the lessons these days (:blush: ) only when I am helping.

I agree with you "I :respect: graham for teaching me the basics. Brighton" I owe Graham my basics too, he was the best teacher for beginners in those days.

I also agree with your comment "Viktor and Mike Ellard for style and breaking the rules in London" :respect: :worthy:

I have a lot of respect for Franck's teaching, Russell Saxby and Simon Borland - I have seen these guys teaching and have been very impressed seeing how well their students have mastered their teaching and enjoyed the class :respect:

Also, Adam Nathanson :worthy: he also has that same kind of magic of not only good teaching but to captivate the class.

There are lots more, scattered about the country just as good - but don't normally get the credit they so deserve, that is the reason for this thread.

PS: I remember your teaching at Camber a couple of years ago Martin - you aint too bad yourself :flower: :respect:

Martin
22nd-June-2007, 05:34 PM
Difficult for me to ask for favorite present MJ teachers as I hardly ever do the lessons these days (:blush: ) only when I am helping.

I agree with you "I :respect: graham for teaching me the basics. Brighton" I owe Graham my basics too, he was the best teacher for beginners in those days.

I also agree with your comment "Viktor and Mike Ellard for style and breaking the rules in London" :respect: :worthy:

I have a lot of respect for Franck's teaching, Russell Saxby and Simon Borland - I have seen these guys teaching and have been very impressed seeing how well their students have mastered their teaching and enjoyed the class :respect:

Also, Adam Nathanson :worthy: he also has that same kind of magic of not only good teaching but to captivate the class.

There are lots more, scattered about the country just as good - but don't normally get the credit they so deserve, that is the reason for this thread.

PS: I remember your teaching at Camber a couple of years ago Martin - you aint too bad yourself :flower: :respect:

Adam has been a wonderful insperation for me and my son recently, in NZ and Aussie... musicallity and style, my dancing has improved because of him and my son is sold on musicality and style... he is now a mini Adam:respect:

Lee Bartholomew
22nd-June-2007, 09:37 PM
I know one or two Brighton area teachers would disagree but Adam Maple deserves a mention. It was going to his classes that made me realise that MJ wasn't all about swing music and the first move (which is nigh on all that was taught in Hastings).

I was really impressed when he told me a year or so ago, he could do three spins. Danced with him for the first time in 8-9 months a few weeks ago and asked him how many spins he could do now '5' he said all chuffed. I went on to do double figures. :rofl:

Red Lory
23rd-June-2007, 08:06 PM
IMHO, definitely Nelson & Karen. Their classes are fun, interesting and a definite must for dancers who are into dips, drops & seducers.

:waycool:

Baruch
24th-June-2007, 06:39 PM
Mark Wilson and Jackie Robins, from Planet LeRoc in Cardiff. They teach clearly and with a sense of humour, they're very approachable and willing to help out and give you a few pointers if you ask. They're also fantastic dancers -- Mark's musicality is inspirational, and I always enjoy dancing with Jackie.
:cheers:

Twirly
2nd-August-2007, 11:20 AM
Just wanted to say how impressed I was with George at Clapham last night.

For some reason she had no microphone, but still managed to teach both classes with her usual aplomb. I did think that she might tone down her usually challenging intermediate class to help her cope, but she didn't - she had us Columbianing, spinning, leaning etc, all at her usually snappy rate. :clap:

And she didn't excuse herself with exhaustion afterwards either - she was there, working the floor as per usual. :respect:

Suspect that she's having to spend today whispering and eating her own weight in cough drops today though! :sick:

Well done George - even if you never see this! :clap: (And I did tell her how impressed I was last night, as I don't think she reads the forum.)

Mezzosoprano
2nd-August-2007, 01:21 PM
Someone has GOT to put this right. So here I go:

Did you expect me to say anything else?

(ok then I'll get my coat :blush: )

Whitetiger

:yeah: :yeah: :yeah: Even teaches with humour when he's feeling awfully ill!!

ps - hope you're feeling better now Franck

robd
3rd-August-2007, 01:36 PM
and asked him how many spins he could do now '5' he said all chuffed. I went on to do double figures. :rofl:

And the phrase 'quality before quantity' springs immediately to mind :rolleyes:

robd
3rd-August-2007, 01:40 PM
I don't necessarily like the content of his classes that I have seen but for enthusiasm and engaging his audience Simon Borland scores highly.

Marc teaches very well IMO within the limitations of the Ceroc format.

To the extent that Jango is a form of MJ I would rate Amir as the best teacher I have personally experienced.

David Bailey
3rd-August-2007, 01:51 PM
I don't necessarily like the content of his classes that I have seen but for enthusiasm and engaging his audience Simon Borland scores highly.
:yeah: - I can't stand the classes personally, but he's Mr Duracell Bunny when it comes to enthusiasm. More so in that regard even than Mike Ellard - although I think Mike's a better teacher.

Marc teaches very well IMO within the limitations of the Ceroc format.
I've managed to never do one of Marc's classes for some reason - probably coz he's usually Up North somewhere....

To the extent that Jango is a form of MJ I would rate Amir as the best teacher I have personally experienced.
Well, if we're gonna stretch it that far, then my absolute fave top teacher is Korey Ireland, the man's a God.

Gav
3rd-August-2007, 03:15 PM
Well, if we're gonna stretch it that far, then my absolute fave top teacher is Korey Ireland, the man's a God.

It's in the genes :whistle:

Obi's Sweat Band
8th-August-2007, 12:48 PM
He has got to be one of the funniest teachers going. Brilliant DJ too.

You are far too kind. :respect:

Come and check out the Steve & Ian (ft Gordon) Pub Quiz at the Ceroc weekenders if you can't make it to Rochester or Salomons you lovely people.

Steve :wink: