PDA

View Full Version : Mathmation required!

Katie Kicks Ass
17th-June-2007, 05:43 PM
Ok I have got stressed out about this for too long now, does anybody know how to do complex truth tables and simplify Booloean Expressions?

I need some one to simplfy:
_ _ _

A.B+A.B+A.B

With truth table of simplfied equation.

And this truth table completing.

FirstMove
17th-June-2007, 06:11 PM
Excel can do all the work for you! It has AND and OR functions for prescisely this job.

e.g. =+AND(1,1)=1

I think if you simplify symbolically you just get A.B, but I suggest you check.

What is the Z column for in you spreadsheet? It looks like NOT ( A . B)

David Franklin
17th-June-2007, 06:17 PM
Ok I have got stressed out about this for too long now, does anybody know how to do complex truth tables and simplify Booloean Expressions?

I need some one to simplfy:
_ _ _

A.B+A.B+A.B
As it stands, I can't work out what you're asking here (I'm assuming the _ are supposed to be overbars denoting complement, but the alignment has gone hopelessly wrong). Do you want to try again? I suggest you use ' to denote complement (e.g. A'.B = (NOT A) AND B) as you will have far fewer problems with the vBulletin software mucking up the formatting.

As far as the spreadsheet goes - what is the problem you are having? Can you really not work out what "not B" is given B?

Katie Kicks Ass
17th-June-2007, 07:18 PM
No i can't i could do with someone just telling me the answer i've stressed too long over it and i cant understand it for toffee.

BTW its (NOT A).(NOT B)+A.(NOT B)+A.B

David Franklin
17th-June-2007, 07:32 PM
No i can't i could do with someone just telling me the answer i've stressed too long over it and i cant understand it for toffee.

BTW its (NOT A).(NOT B)+A.(NOT B)+A.B(NOT A).(NOT B)+A.(NOT B)+A.B = NOT ((NOT A).B)

For the spreadsheet, If B = 0, then NOT B = 1. If B=1 then NOT B = 0.

Once you've filled in the "NOT B" column, then A. (NOT B) = 1 if "A = 1 and (NOT B) = 1", otherwise it = 0.

FirstMove
17th-June-2007, 07:34 PM
<snip>

bigdjiver
17th-June-2007, 08:53 PM
(NOT A).(NOT B)+A.(NOT B)+A.B = NOT ((NOT A).B)

For the spreadsheet, If B = 0, then NOT B = 1. If B=1 then NOT B = 0.

Once you've filled in the "NOT B" column, then A. (NOT B) = 1 if "A = 1 and (NOT B) = 1", otherwise it = 0.My boolean logic is very rusty. I seek enlightenment.

I thought the + sign meant OR and the . meant AND

I simplified (NOT A).(NOT B)+A.(NOT B)
to (NOT A OR A).(NOT B)
then to (NOT B)

Then I simplified (NOT B) OR A.B
to (NOT B) OR A

Do I remember wrong?

David Franklin
17th-June-2007, 09:27 PM
My boolean logic is very rusty. I seek enlightenment.

I thought the + sign meant OR and the . meant AND

I simplified (NOT A).(NOT B)+A.(NOT B)
to (NOT A OR A).(NOT B)
then to (NOT B)

Then I simplified (NOT B) OR A.B
to (NOT B) OR AThey're both correct, yours is probably a bit simpler to be honest. (I just went for the "the only way this can be false is if A=0 and B=1" approach).

bigdjiver
17th-June-2007, 10:13 PM
They're both correct, yours is probably a bit simpler to be honest. (I just went for the "the only way this can be false is if A=0 and B=1" approach).Thanks.

Beowulf
17th-June-2007, 11:33 PM
I'm just back from London and my brain is fried.

I got as far as realising that (2B)+(NOT 2B) was not the question :wink:

bigdjiver and David Franklin got it right before me though.. so :respect: to them :)