PDA

View Full Version : Dancing in the Heat

DavidY
9th-August-2003, 12:47 PM
The media here in the UK have been going on all week about how hot it is. Now I know it's nothing compared to normal temperatures in Australia and other parts of the world, but it's definitely some degrees hotter than we're used to here.

There's something I don't understand though - I've been out dancing a few times in the last week, but I haven't felt hotter than normal at any of the venues, including some with and without air conditioning.

Now I admitted in another thread to committing crimes against fashion because I've been wearing shorts all week , but even so I've felt cooler than I'd expect given the temperature outside.

Has anyone else noticed this or is it just me? :confused:

David

Graham
9th-August-2003, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by DavidY
Has anyone else noticed this or is it just me? :confused: Obviously I can't comment about the venues you go to, but at the venues I attend it is MUCH hotter in summer. Changes in humidity level are especially noticable - perhaps it's been less humid in your area. The last few weeks I've had sweat running into my eyes while I'm dancing, and I've been sweating even half-way through the beginner class! Normally I don't start to get warm until I've done 3 or 4 freestyle tracks.

So perhaps it is just you, but either way, you're very lucky!

DavidY
9th-August-2003, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Graham
Obviously I can't comment about the venues you go to, but at the venues I attend it is MUCH hotter in summer. Changes in humidity level are especially noticable - perhaps it's been less humid in your area. The last few weeks I've had sweat running into my eyes while I'm dancing, and I've been sweating even half-way through the beginner class! Normally I don't start to get warm until I've done 3 or 4 freestyle tracks.

So perhaps it is just you, but either way, you're very lucky! Maybe I should clarify - I'm not saying I haven't got sweaty when dancing (this happens all year round I'm afraid), but I've not felt it to be any worse this week than other recent weeks when it was several degrees colder & less humid (although it sounds as if it's even more humid where you are).

The only explanation I could think of was perhaps less people have turned up this week, so less people generating heat?

Bill
9th-August-2003, 01:10 PM
Maybe because I'm used to dancing up here in Aberdeen I'm used to fairly comfortable temperatures although Dudnee can be very hot !!

I dance in Chester and then Bowden and even with a few big fans it was very hot and quite uncomfortable - Bowden gets hot anyway. if I'd had my 'dance sandals' I might have worn my shorts as well :D

Certainly both venues were hot - even before all the dancing got under way. Shower facilities in all venues would be good :cheers:
One good thing about Marcos - which can alos get very hot.

Fran
9th-August-2003, 03:24 PM
just a quickie to say that the Wenesday Dundee venue is now much cooler given that the centre has finally turned off the heating when the classes are on.

I was speaking to Elaine the teacher this week and she says its so much better now.

fran

pxf19192
10th-August-2003, 01:49 PM
Phew!!! Went to Hammersmith in Central London last night :what: HOW HOT!!!!

Im not complaining as i knew it didnt have air-con but at one point in the night the fans packed up too. You could notice the difference straight away.

6 t-shirts later I gave up and went home. Dont think I have ever seen so many people towelling themselves off at a dance venue :nice: Quite funny really.

Needless to say that the numbers there were considerably less than usual. Has that been the case at all venues???

I know the summer genrally produces a lower turnout at the venues but have other people noticed a significant difference in air-con and non air-con venues??

Apparently for down here in London , the temperatures are set to fall some what over the next few days. To be honest I will be glad when they do.

Bring on an outdoor venue!!

DavidB
10th-August-2003, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by pxf19192
Phew!!! Went to Hammersmith in Central London last night :what: HOW HOT!!!! It was too hot. I couldn't even stand inside the main hall for more than a couple of minutes. I think I had 4 dances between 11:00 and 12:30, and still drank a large 1.5l bottle of water.

I don't think there was anything they could do about it - I think it was the hottest day ever in London.

Bring on an outdoor venue!! But when we went into Hammersmith last night it was 31C outside!

pxf19192
10th-August-2003, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by DavidB

But when we went into Hammersmith last night it was 31C outside!

Yeah, i see what you mean. I just thought with the breeze it might make it a bit more bearable.

I found myself mopping the sweat from my head while I was sitting down last night :tears:
I dont usually class siiting as being a strenuous thing to do but last night it was really taking its toll

Lounge Lizard
10th-August-2003, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by pxf19192
Phew!!! Went to Hammersmith in Central London last night :what: HOW HOT!!!!

Bring on an outdoor venue!!

I Already have: 12 hours of al-fresco dancing (there is also a marquee) and games including bouncy castle/bungee run/gladiators for grown ups, free food, 3 seperate dance areas chill out zone etc. etc.
£10pp, kids welcome Eastbourne [a mere 500 miles from Edinburgh!]

Basil Brush (Forum Plant)
10th-August-2003, 09:54 PM
Where's this all happening Mr Lizard?

I might be down your way, so may pop in for a bounce.

Lounge Lizard
11th-August-2003, 07:07 AM
My back garden in Eastbourne East Sussex- we are hoping for about 400, but depends on weather, we got 250 last year,
33 St. Anthony's Ave
Eastbourne
12 till 12

Tiggerbabe
11th-August-2003, 07:55 AM
And when?
(Don't fancy cutting your grass Double L if you can get all that in your back garden :sick: )

Paul F
11th-August-2003, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by Lounge Lizard
My back garden in Eastbourne East Sussex- we are hoping for about 400, but depends on weather, we got 250 last year,
33 St. Anthony's Ave
Eastbourne
12 till 12

Ahh! You must be Peter then Mr. Lounge Lizard.

Yeah, there are quite a few of us who want to go to your garden party. We are really lazy and havnt booked yet though.

I have been looking round the net and things but cant find how we book for it. Can we do that online???

If not , how do we book? Sounds like a fantastic day.

Gadget
11th-August-2003, 12:36 PM
I have noticed that I get hot quicker when the tempertature is up, but I don't get hotter; I seem to reach a "saturation point" {If you'll excuse the T-shirt pun :sick:}

The Aberdeen Tuesday venue (Cuter Mills Club) was a bit strange at the beginning of the year, having heating on and/or fans off each week with no pattern. But it seems to be OK now - a bit warm but what do you expect in a heat wave?

Lounge Lizard
11th-August-2003, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Paul F
Ahh! You must be Peter then Mr. Lounge Lizard.

Yeah, there are quite a few of us who want to go to your garden party. We are really lazy and havnt booked yet though.

I have been looking round the net and things but cant find how we book for it. Can we do that online???

If not , how do we book? Sounds like a fantastic day.
The very same - just turn up there is enough room for all - (If you went to Bulins, the temporary dance floor wew use there is in my shed!!)

Have not got the web site sorted, but at long last have the drops DVD's and Video's finished.

Paul F
11th-August-2003, 02:40 PM
Just so everyone knows, and for my benefit as i keep forgetting :sorry What date is the garden party again?

Lounge Lizard
11th-August-2003, 03:15 PM
Sunday August 24th 12 noon till 12 midnight (everyone is welcome to bring camp bed and stay in marquee or Eastbourne has loads of guest houses etc. www.Eastbourne.org
p

Pammy
11th-August-2003, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by DavidB
I think I had 4 dances between 11:00 and 12:30

I had four dances with you between 11 & 12.30; actually I think it was 6, hence I now feel incredibly flattered.

Good to see you by the way. YES, it was boiling in there.

David; shame you didn't come on the post dance binge.

Px

Jon
11th-August-2003, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by Graham
Obviously I can't comment about the venues you go to, but at the venues I attend it is MUCH hotter in summer. Changes in humidity level are especially noticable - perhaps it's been less humid in your area. The last few weeks I've had sweat running into my eyes while I'm dancing, and I've been sweating even half-way through the beginner class! Normally I don't start to get warm until I've done 3 or 4 freestyle tracks.

So perhaps it is just you, but either way, you're very lucky!

Agree with you Graham, I'm known for not getting hot till the end of the evening and I dance almost non stop, but this summer enter a venue sit down and start sweating straight away before I've even had a dance. London needs to learn about AIR CONDITIONING!!!!