PDA

View Full Version : Asking for a dance ?

Minnie M
12th-June-2007, 06:37 AM
Ask for a dance :blush:

I keep hearing this statement over and over again as the answer for getting to know the dance, dancers, enjoying the evening etc etc

For most this is not a problem, and because of the gender balance is more towards the followers it means that the old rule of waiting for the lead to ask is long gone.

However, for some dancers (male & female) and both new and experienced this is still a problem.

I often hear this after a class

"Ladies don't be shy, ask the men to dance"

How about this ocassionally:

"Men don't be shy, ask the ladies to dance"

fletch
12th-June-2007, 08:03 AM
We aren't all the same I understand that, but as you know I ask everyone to dance.:clap:

I would prefer to dance to not dancing so when a track comes on if I can't see someone that I like to dance with I ask someone else,:flower: I have had some of the most surprising dances with people you just wouldn't expect.:clap:

I actually can't remember the last time I was refused. :confused:

Very often I can't get off the floor and have people waiting for me, :cheers: and I think is because I ask and dance with so many people, they have all got used to me and are comfortable asking and dancing with me :hug:

Terpsichorea
12th-June-2007, 08:10 AM
I dance with every lady I can get my hands on (so as to speak) whenever I go to a freestyle, so i'm often surprised when people (both men and women) are coy about asking other people to take to the floor. One of the nicest things about MJ is that asking someone to dance isn't laden with all the subtext which would be present if you asked someone to dance in a club, and because of this, I can't see that it's a big deal making the request. Provided you can dance (or are willing to try) are polite and hygienic, I can't see a reason for being refused.

Cruella
12th-June-2007, 08:11 AM
My Mum always told me 'Don't ask, don't get!' :rolleyes:

Double Trouble
12th-June-2007, 08:33 AM
I don't enjoy asking men for a dance, but as Cruella says, if you don't ask, you don't get.

It would be lovely if I had a queue of men waiting at the edge of the dance floor for me, but as that is never going to happen, I suppose I will just have to keep asking.:flower:

Terpsichorea
12th-June-2007, 08:38 AM
I think it's fair to say that most men are actually pretty flattered when a woman asks them to dance, because it makes a change from how things usually work (with men having to chase women :sad: ) but also because it's a compliment, you're effectively saying I think you're a good dancer by asking them.

Cruella
12th-June-2007, 08:49 AM
but also because it's a compliment, you're effectively saying I think you're a good dancer by asking them.

That works the other way too! (Us women have egos as well you know!)

Terpsichorea
12th-June-2007, 08:55 AM

Exactly - there are some women, who, when you see them dancing, you think; I must get a dance with her! I think (if I'm not mistaken) that women can tell if a man is impressed or excited by the prospect of dancing with them - and such obvious anticipation is clearly a compliment!

Dizzy
12th-June-2007, 09:08 AM
As a normally shy and reserved character, it took me a long time to gain the confidence to ask men for dances at my local venues but once I got the hang of it, it does not bother me so much now, especially when asking people I don't know as I never know what kind of dance I am going to have.

The only problem I still do have is asking the teachers to dance - I find it really hard, especially on a socail dance floor when they are not working :blush:. I feel as though I am not good enough. (Yes Gav, as Southport being the big example :whistle: )

Terpsichorea
12th-June-2007, 09:14 AM
As a normally shy and reserved character, it took me a long time to gain the confidence to ask men for dances at my local venues but once I got the hang of it, it does not bother me so much now, especially when asking people I don't know as I never know what kind of dance I am going to have.

The only problem I still do have is asking the teachers to dance - I find it really hard, especially on a socail dance floor when they are not working :blush:. I feel as though I am not good enough. (Yes Gav, as Southport being the big example :whistle: )

I was speaking to a teacher about this same thing on Friday night at a freestyle, and she told me that very few men ask her to dance because of the fact that she's both a very good dancer and a teacher. I used to feel nervous about asking very good dancers to take to the floor because (naturally) you worry that your dancing isn't good enough, that you won't be able to pull out enough of a dazzling repertoire of moves to impress them. Now, I don't care - I know I probably won't be the best dancer they've ever danced with, but that doesn't matter because it isn't a competition. Most teachers are teachers because they like helping other dancers to develop and I've found that the most experienced of dancers are usually the most willing to explain stuff to you.

Twirly
12th-June-2007, 10:15 AM
I used to have a real problem asking for dances – exacerbated by my friend who still refuses to ask two years in (although I think she’s getting to the point where she might start – she managed it once recently). She called me a tart one night because I’d asked two guys to dance! :eek:

But I’d also rather be dancing than sit out. So I started by asking people who had asked me a few times before – so I knew that they liked dancing with me. I did this for some months, then when I felt comfortable with this, I decided that when I felt up to it on the night, I’d start asking people I didn’t know at all (this was mainly at freestyles). I’d usually only manage one or two per night to start with (and mostly when there on my own). This also got easier and easier. And I had some great dances as a consequence (whilst my friend was sat down not dancing). :D

Now I feel able to ask anyone who appears available to dance – not so good at grabbing people whom I know to be good by reputation (mostly forumites) who don’t know me though. I’ve often watched them at freestyles and wanted to ask, but am still too shy to be assertive enough to get in and grab ‘em before other follows do! :blush: Maybe this is my next challenge?

My Mum always told me 'Don't ask, don't get!' :rolleyes:

:yeah:

I think it's fair to say that most men are actually pretty flattered when a woman asks them to dance, because it makes a change from how things usually work (with men having to chase women :sad: ) but also because it's a compliment, you're effectively saying I think you're a good dancer by asking them.

:yeah: I can feel a bit disappointed when I have a night where I do most of the asking… :( It can dent my confidence a bit.

Gav
12th-June-2007, 11:11 AM

Ahhhhh Dizzy! You don't have to be scared of asking me, I know I'm great, but I'm not a teacher and you're not too shabby either. :D :rofl::rofl::rofl: :flower:

But seriously folks, I do get intimidated by great dancers and I do find it difficult to ask them, but their part-time job title and/or the contents of their trophy cabinet doesn't interest me.

fletch
12th-June-2007, 11:42 AM
It would be lovely if I had a queue of men waiting at the edge of the dance floor for me, but as that is never going to happen, I suppose I will just have to keep asking.:flower:

The more you ask the more people you have in your circle of dancers to call on, that you are familiar with, and are familiar with you :they know you probably won't refuse and the last time you danced it was OK :flower:

Blind_Dynamo
12th-June-2007, 12:15 PM
The problem I have is seeing where the ladies are to ask in the first place, most of the who know my predicament are really helpful and point me in the right direction or some ladies just ask. I will not turn a dance down.

DT thiers always a dance put aside for you, especially after THE dance we had on Friday and the smile is still there.

Freya
12th-June-2007, 01:23 PM
I still find asking people to dance difficult and I think I always will.

It comes down to confidence that I'm good enough to dance with them especially teachers and people that I'm in awe of!

and this has kinda been hashed out but it does come down to intimidation. And a couple of locals have said that I intimidate them on the dancefloor so it's all relative and it affects most people.

I would prefer to dance than not to dance especially to some songs. And I will ask people. In fact Most of the time like most women I do the asking and as most say it would be nice to be asked.

ant
12th-June-2007, 02:01 PM
Thanks for this thread.

I try to go to as many venues as I can and ask as many girls to dance as I can. I think I have only ever refused one girl to dance when asked and this was because she was an experienced dancer when I started and she made a number of adverse comments and that made me feel uncomfortable. I think a person goes a long way to giving and having a nice dance by building up your partners confidence. I have since apologised to that person.

However what I would like to ask is this

"if you ask someone to dance and they refuse, they may give you a reason they may not, do you ask them again and if you get refused again at what point should you take the hint and not ask them again."

Double Trouble
12th-June-2007, 02:04 PM
"if you ask someone to dance and they refuse, they may give you a reason they may not, do you ask them again and if you get refused again at what point should you take the hint and not ask them again."

There may be a genuine reason for one refusal, but if you are turned down twice by someone, I would say its a safe bet they don't want to dance with you.:flower:

Twirly
12th-June-2007, 02:16 PM

I think this is very much a personal decision (and has been discussed on here before – am sure someone will provide a helpful link) and depends on you, the reason given and how the refusal is made.

I’ve only once been refused rudely :angry: – and I’ve never asked that person to dance again. I doubt that I ever will, unless he asks me a few times (and I don’t think that’s going to happen as I’ve seen him around a lot and he hasn’t asked once – his loss!).

If someone gives me a reason (or the reason is obvious – e.g. I notice how hot they look whilst I am halfway through asking them to dance), then I’d definitely ask them again (but chances are they’ve asked me instead in the meantime), but try and time it better. If they refused again, I don’t think that my ego would survive asking again. :tears:

I do find that I stop asking if I never get asked back – I start assuming that they don’t really like dancing with me (you can usually tell – if they look really happy when I ask them, then this doesn’t apply!). Of course there are guys who never get the chance to ask anyone as they get grabbed by follows the second they are free. There is one of these whom I love dancing with, so I got over myself when I realised this and just ask when I get the chance! :nice:

fletch
12th-June-2007, 02:24 PM
I try to go to as many venues as I can and ask as many girls to dance as I can.

Hi honey :flower:

firstly I just want to say the dance we had a berko new years eve, is in my top 10 memorable dances,:worthy: sometimes you have a fab dance with someone and never get that special moment again, but we always seem to have fab dances,:clap: when you scan the room to see who is there, and I see you I always make a special effort to grab you,:hug: and welcome to the forum.:flower:

I actually don't count 'genuine refusals' as a 'refusall', I think you can tell, if some one is hot or just on there way to get a drink or the loo,:hug: I asked 'you know who' '**** the refusser' lots and got refused,:mad: I have now given up and don't want to dance with him anymore,:sick: he was at Ashton's on Friday, I do speak to him,:flower: but won't dance, the way he refuses is actually quite hurtful and not nice,:tears: I save my dances for someone who deserves my time.:yeah: I had a conversation with SilverFox about us not dancing and all respect to him the reasons he gave were quite correct and commend him for been honest with me.:respect:

There may be a genuine reason for one refusal, but if you are turned down twice by someone, I would say its a safe bet they don't want to dance with you.:flower:

Not necessarily :what:

LemonCake
12th-June-2007, 02:27 PM

I am certain this has been a thread topic somewhere else...

I am a fussy madam for music. If I don't like the music that's on, I turn down anyone who asks me, no matter if I know them or not, like their dancing or not, or just turned them down already. I usually manage to keep track of askers I have turned down and ask them to dance for the next song that I like and we're both free. Sometimes it can take til the next day (at a weekender) or next week (regular class). Very occasionally they slip through the net :blush: possibly even three times and can even end up with the notion that I am 'cold and aloof' :what: :whistle:

Also, if I thought people were turning me down cos they thought I was too much more experienced as a dancer (trying to avoid use of 'too good'), I would be very disappointed. I like dancing with beginners as it means I appreciate their development as dancers. Being a taxi helps, as my taxi-ees seem happy to dance with me on non-taxi nights as well. Nobody is just automatically a great dancer, habits, characteristics and skills are all developed and it's wonderful to see it happening, and to see how people blossom with confidence. On-thread point being, if you're a more experienced dancer and a less experienced dancer turns you down, it might just be nerves, so crossing them off your list of people to ask forevermore could lose you both a great dance!

Spiky Steve
12th-June-2007, 03:19 PM
For me there is a different rule for weekdays to weekenders. If I need a break I would attempt to leave the dancefloor avoiding eye contact with anyone. If someone was deliberately avoiding eye contact then I wouldn't ask.

I think maybe nobody likes getting turned down. If I am turned down I will wait to be asked back even if it's a second dance. I am still waiting for some and they probably cannot even remember. The physchology of it all fascinates me.

I would ask anyone except I still have trouble asking teachers or their partners. I think this came from bored looks from better dancers when I was learning so I learned not to ask.

Some of the people I avoided through fear for a long time have been my most enjoyable dances and I kick myself as I should have asked sooner.

These are my thoughts when it comes to asking or being asked by someone of the opposite sex. I'm not sure if my reaction is the same to being asked by other guys.

Steve

Astro
12th-June-2007, 03:34 PM
The physchology of it all fascinates me.

Yeah, it shouldn't matter - whatever, it's just dancing.
I think in other sports it's mainly solo or a team.
Dancing is social also, which complicates things, plus it's boy/girl stuff.

Some of these teachers/advanced dancers know everything that's happening in the room while they are dancing. When does queuing become stalking?

Just a few pychological thoughts. Suzy Q, where are you?

Almost an Angel
12th-June-2007, 04:27 PM
Just a few pychological thoughts. Suzy Q, where are you?

On holiday in Turkey for 2 weeks lucky thing!!!!
So there will be no Dr Suzy I'm afraid.

Cruella
12th-June-2007, 04:29 PM
I think (if I'm not mistaken) that women can tell if a man is impressed or excited by the prospect of dancing with them

Depends on how good her eyesight is. :whistle:

Minnie M
12th-June-2007, 05:05 PM
....I do find that I stop asking if I never get asked back – I start assuming that they don’t really like dancing with me .......
:yeah: totally agree:flower:
I said something like that on the 'other' thread, but it wasn't very well received :sad:

I am certain this has been a thread topic somewhere else...
there was a similar one, but it didn't have a poll

Lynn
12th-June-2007, 08:29 PM
My first proper freestyle was Fri night at the first Southport - so I felt pretty overwhelmed and I don't think I asked anyone. I also found being asked to dance really boosted my confidence - esp if asked by someone who had asked me before (I still remember that DavidY asked me to dance a few times that weekend :hug: - I remember thinking that I must be doing Ok to be asked again - hadn't twigged that it was DavidY at that point!)

But I knew that there was no point sitting around wishing I was dancing if I wasn't prepared to ask.

So I started by asking people who had asked me a few times before – so I knew that they liked dancing with me. :yeah:

Though if I ask them several times I often wait till they ask me again before I ask them.

I still remember the occasion when I crossed over into 'I want to dance, I'm going to ask' - last set at a Scarborough weekend - Marc was playing a great set and every track was saying 'get up and dance' so I hardly sat any out and didn't wait to be asked.

I've done that since - eg SP in Feb when I had an evening on a mission to ask as many WCS leads as possible to try to get my WCS following in freestyle off the ground.

I still prefer to be asked. I'm not going to sit and complain about not being asked to dance, and insist that I should be asked to dance - but its my choice and my personal preference. I love being asked to dance.

More recently I've found a sort of compromise, I'll look round and make eye contact - sort of asking with a look, but the leader then comes across and asks me. So I'm indicating I'd like to dance with them, but I still get asked.

Locally, its completely different. Spending over a year as taxi I was doing a lot of the asking and I have no hesitation in asking the local guys for a dance.

Clueless
12th-June-2007, 09:32 PM
if always accept and only turned down one dance (that was because a girl had left with my keys and was calling round people I know for the girls number) but Liked to be asked and I usually return the favour and I can tell when someone has a dance with me and thoroughly enjoys it and in return I enjoy it!

Thought I have mixed nights some night I can get off the floor and that can be hard to deal with and there are other night were I do all the asking!

I find a good way to help the newbies to dance they say I can dance...I say "You think I can? That's flattering but I just do moves and hope it works" and laugh and 9/10 they say ok and take it easy with them. I throw in a double handed advanced move to show them the similarity between moves and how what they are learning is basically the foundations

spindr
13th-June-2007, 12:52 AM
Getting turned down a lot? Then you could always try an advanced technique (http://www.mindhacks.com/blog/2007/05/the_strength_of_weak.html)? Ok, it's for guys -- but maybe it works the other way around?

SpinDr

bigdjiver
13th-June-2007, 03:38 AM
Getting turned down a lot? Then you could always try an advanced technique (http://www.mindhacks.com/blog/2007/05/the_strength_of_weak.html)? Ok, it's for guys -- but maybe it works the other way around?

SpinDrIt does work for anybody, and has been known for a long, long time. It is where expressions like "I touched him for a fiver." comes from.

Trouble
13th-June-2007, 10:54 AM
i find draggin them up by the neck works better. :respect: :D

Miguel
13th-June-2007, 12:00 PM
i find draggin them up by the neck works better. :respect: :D
Dear Michele,
Hope this helps: A Guide for Women - 19 easy ways to attract more men to dance with you (http://www.salsacrazy.com/guideforwomen.htm)
:flower: :flower: :flower: Mike

Spiky Steve
13th-June-2007, 12:04 PM
I'd lay a small bet that all the people that have trouble asking teachers are men.

Lee Bartholomew
13th-June-2007, 12:22 PM
Dear Michele,
Hope this helps: A Guide for Women - 19 easy ways to attract more men to dance with you (http://www.salsacrazy.com/guideforwomen.htm)
:flower: :flower: :flower: Mike

Not 100% convinced the statement in #1 'Dance rooms are cool'. He's ob never been to one. :wink:

Right. All tounge in Cheek.

#1. Not that aware that I would do that but I would think 'that womans not right wearing a cardigan in a boiling hot room like this'

#2 Again not sure of this but there is such thing as exposing too much skin which can be a + or - depending on how attractive you are :devil:

#3 Totaly agree with this. Dangerous. Would never dance with someone who has loads of rings etc. Have too many scars from the times I have

#4 Girls, We may be looking downwards, but it's not your shoes we're looking at :devil:

#5 Most men would take that as a come on.

#6 And trip up as many dancers as possible on your walks. I would never ask someone to dance as they are walking, unless its from a previous dance. Also most men hang around the bar.

#7 Yup, standing blocking people from comming off the dance floor will do it every time.

#8 People never like dancing with the 'sistahs' whilst their in the hood with their 'homies'. they might just 'pop a cork in your ass'. Also, How many women actually get grabbed by a man for a dance from going to the rest room on their own? :what:

#9 Also does this not contradict number 6?

#10 and also stay off the floor as it's for dancing not waiting.

#11 Ah the old ready to dance stance.

#12 But don't make it look like thats how you actually dance.

#13 Ignore the man screaming 'everyone out theres a fire!' near the bar.

#14 But not the male ones?

#15 If he approaches from the side, Ignore him. Approaches from behind, worry.

#16 My trousers fell down at a dance party once. Not as embarassing as the time I got asked for a dance and was put on the spot. Never lived it down.

#17 Give a hint? really? since when have us men got hints?

#18 you floosy. Why not just anounce it with a loud hailer? Sure the DJ would make an anouncment if you asked him nice enough.

#19 Done to me? I would scream and run a mile. Why not just cup in never regions and say 'lets dance big boy'.

Lee Bartholomew
13th-June-2007, 12:33 PM
11 ways for men to get girls to dance.

#1 Don't wash for a week. Women love that manly smell.

#2 Don't even ask a woman to dance, just drag her up to the floor.

#3 What if she refuses? Say 'if your not dancing, mind holding my pint instead'

#4 See the pretty lass with the short skirt that 30 years your junior? Of course she wants to dance with you and you know she will want another one after.

#5 once you have said lass up, do that 'special move' with her. You know, the one where you stand behind her and grind your pelvis in to her backside. She will love that.

#6 If your not having luck, ask the ones that have been drinking too much. They might not be able to dance, but they will apricate your 'special move' all the more.

#7 prove your a real man. Pass wind before asking the woman for a dance. DTS does this to great affect.

#8 Girls love watching a man spin. Dance infront of the girl you would like a dance with and perform 8-10 unassisted spins. They love it even more if you show skill by not staying in the one spot as you do this. :devil:

#9 Scared the really fit girl wont dance with you? Dance with her ugly hopless friend in order to show you have compassion.

#10 now got the fit girl? Anounce to her how terrible her friend was. Girls love that.

#11 Anounce to the world that you will be ready to dance soon by walking right through the middle of the floor carrying two pints.

Astro
13th-June-2007, 12:48 PM
IMO it all boils down to the numbers game.

If there are men over, women get asked a lot and men have to ask.

If there are women over, men get asked a lot and women have to ask.

Simple.

Lee Bartholomew
13th-June-2007, 04:11 PM

Simple.

At least that is how it should work.

My personal opinion is if you want to dance with someone, ask them, no matter your sex or people over.

Twirly
13th-June-2007, 04:36 PM

Simple.

On nights where numbers are about equal, I know I get asked - more so if there are men over of course.

At least that is how it should work.

My personal opinion is if you want to dance with someone, ask them, no matter your sex or people over.

In principal I agree. But I'm not going to fight for dances. I like to recognise the track before I ask someone (which I'm slow at), and I don't like grabbing people when they are on their way to ask someone else. So when there is a shortage of men (I don't ask women to lead me, even when I know they lead), I do tend to lose out. But I'm polite - I just can't do the interrupting thing. :(

purplehyacinth
13th-June-2007, 04:54 PM
However what I would like to ask is this

If ever I say "no" to a dance I usually give a reason (frequently the reason is self -evident) e.g. I need to get my breath back after the last dance/am dying to get a drink/someone else asked me first/absolutely exhausted etc etc. Usually the refusal comes with an "but I'll do the next dance with you if you like".

Clueless
14th-June-2007, 08:54 PM

Simple.

If women are over I find when I am on the floor I cant leave! Not that I complain

On nights where numbers are about equal, I know I get asked - more so if there are men over of course.

In principal I agree. But I'm not going to fight for dances. I like to recognise the track before I ask someone (which I'm slow at), and I don't like grabbing people when they are on their way to ask someone else. So when there is a shortage of men (I don't ask women to lead me, even when I know they lead), I do tend to lose out. But I'm polite - I just can't do the interrupting thing. :(

walk around and catch someones eye if someone is otherwise engaged I run off and grab someone and try and get the other person when they are free!

fletch
15th-June-2007, 08:19 AM
but Liked to be asked and I usually return the favour and I can tell when someone has a dance with me and thoroughly enjoys it and in return I enjoy it!

well you never turned me down :respect: if I remember right you had only been dancing about 6 weeks,:eek: i'm so looking forward to getting another dance with you, :cheers: you had rythm and style,:worthy: and you weren't scared by the big blond :clap: :rofl:

I'd lay a small bet that all the people that have trouble asking teachers are men.

I have to agree with this Steve,:yeah: I spend loads of time talking to people saying 'i'll point out peole who are patient and friendly that will also help you and your particular style' :cheers: the girls seem more brave, men are more apprehensive :what:

Gav
15th-June-2007, 09:06 AM

Maybe, but as I've said before, I'm sometimes hesitant to ask great dancers.
I've also seen and danced with teachers that are pretty awful. Just because someone is a teacher or a competition winner doesn't mean that they'll be the best dancer. :flower:

Astro
16th-June-2007, 03:15 PM
I spend loads of time talking to people saying 'i'll point out peole who are patient and friendly that will also help you and your particular style' :cheers: the girls seem more brave, men are more apprehensive :what:
That's interesting. The male sterotype is supposed to be braver than girls. Feminism must finally be making it's mark in the dance world.:clap: :clap: :clap:

Maybe, but as I've said before, I'm sometimes hesitant to ask great dancers.
I've also seen and danced with teachers that are pretty awful. Just because someone is a teacher or a competition winner doesn't mean that they'll be the best dancer. :flower:
A male dancer, whom I respect, told me that you can pair up 2 dancers at the top of there game and they may not be able to dance well together.
Why?
Is it chemistry, technical differences???:confused: :confused: :confused:

Clueless
16th-June-2007, 03:21 PM
<snip>

A male dancer, whom I respect, told me that you can pair up 2 dancers at the top of there game and they may not be able to dance well together.
Why?

It's alot of factors there are a variety of differences, style, footwork and how easily the partner follows. as well as the connection that established.

David Bailey
16th-June-2007, 06:39 PM
Why?
Cold be loads of reasons - yes, chemistry, but also specialisation and style compatibilities. Someone who's more into the "street", fast-and-furious style of dancing might not dance well with someone whose style was more blues-y, for example.

But in something like MJ, I'd expect two great dancers to be able to dance well, as part of being a great MJ dancer in the first place is the ability to adjust your style to that of your partner's.

Martin
16th-June-2007, 08:04 PM
Ask for a dance :blush:

I prefer the "treat me like a human" approach, come and sit next to me, talk to me.

I will soon ask you for a dance if I am up for a dance. :respect:

If I am resting and socialising at the time and do not ask you for a dance, but want a dance later that evening I will remember you as being a "friendly" and will be sure to come and find you.. or at the next dance function, I will look upon you as a person with respect who is interested in me as a person.

If our dance styles match it will be the start of a long term dance relationship of many future dances. :flower:

Astro
16th-June-2007, 08:13 PM
I prefer the "treat me like a human" approach, come and sit next to me, talk to me.

I will soon ask you for a dance if I am up for a dance. :respect:

If I am resting and socialising at the time and do not ask you for a dance, but want a dance later that evening I will remember you as being a "friendly" and will be sure to come and find you.. or at the next dance function, I will look upon you as a person with respect who is interested in me as a person.

If our dance styles match it will be the start of a long term dance relationship of many future dances. :flower:

Sounds great, but I'm in the wrong Hemisphere.:sad:

It's good advice though Martin. Men who I chat to are more likely to seek me out, or be up for a dance if I seek them out.

Martin
16th-June-2007, 08:24 PM
Sounds great, but I'm in the wrong Hemisphere.:sad:

It's good advice though Martin. Men who I chat to are more likely to seek me out, or be up for a dance if I seek them out.

:yeah: I have just come back from a mega dance party / Ball - 2 girls did come and chat to me, and I was toweling off, then going to change my top. Things progressed and they were dancing with others when I was "dry again". So I did not get to dance with them, BUT I will actively seek them out to ask them for a dance when I next see them, as they had :respect:

Red Lory
19th-June-2007, 06:09 PM
That's interesting. The male sterotype is supposed to be braver than girls. Feminism must finally be making it's mark in the dance world.:clap: :clap: :clap:

Why?

I think it's mainly when they've got different styles that don't match.

Martin
20th-June-2007, 04:43 AM
But in something like MJ, I'd expect two great dancers to be able to dance well, as part of being a great MJ dancer in the first place is the ability to adjust your style to that of your partner's.

Sure they could dance well, but to dance "great", matching prefered styles and a bit of chemistry raises the enjoyment and fun factor (the X factor maybe) and hence the dance.

SuzyQ
23rd-June-2007, 03:45 PM

Simple.

Don't think you need my help Astro - think you have hit the nail on the head with that post.
My problem is that when there are 100s of women around and you are not getting asked to dance it is hard to be objective about it and you can start to feel pretty horrendous and a bit insecure. Then the body language kicks in - head down ... sobbing in the corner ... and it is game over for the evening!!!
I love it when there are loads and loads a fellas ...
SuzyQ

under par
23rd-June-2007, 06:49 PM
I love it when there are loads and loads a fellas ...
SuzyQ
:yeah: :yeah:
to be honest the more male leads that are available always makes for a more pleasant evening all round,.... even for the men...... IMHO

rubyred
24th-June-2007, 12:39 PM

:flower:

Whilst I understand where you may be coming from Martin, I would find it very hard just to go to a stranger, or even just people I see occassionally at dancing and sit down beside them and start a conversation. :eek: I would not be able to do this and would much prefer to just go and say something neutral like ' can I have a dance please' and if they are sitting out to be told they are resting and could they catch me later or invite me to catch up with them later. :flower:

Martin
24th-June-2007, 02:00 PM
Whilst I understand where you may be coming from Martin, I would find it very hard just to go to a stranger, or even just people I see occassionally at dancing and sit down beside them and start a conversation. :eek: I would not be able to do this and would much prefer to just go and say something neutral like ' can I have a dance please' and if they are sitting out to be told they are resting and could they catch me later or invite me to catch up with them later. :flower:

Can be tough, but it gets results. :hug:

I do see your point and it is a fine balance.

The happy news is that the 2 girls who did chat to me last week, that I did not get to dance with that night - I caught up with them last night and made sure I got to dance with them several times, and I will continue to ensure I try to make time for them as they made time for me and made me feel "Human". :D :flower:

Astro
24th-June-2007, 02:21 PM
On holiday in Turkey for 2 weeks lucky thing!!!
So there will be no Dr Suzy I'm afriad

Hope you had a great holiday in Turkey SuzyQ.:waycool:

Don't think you need my help Astro - think you have hit the nail on the head with that post. I was talking about the minority of men who are wind up merchants, and can be particularly cruel to new girls.:angry: . I suppose you get these types everywhere, so they are not perculiar to dance.:(

My problem is that when there are 100s of women around and you are not getting asked to dance it is hard to be objective about it and you can start to feel pretty horrendous and a bit insecure. Then the body language kicks in - head down ... sobbing in the corner ... and it is game over for the evening!!!
And the opposite too! When there is a shortage of men (it does happen sometimes) and we girls become bigheaded, because they are queuing up to dance with us.:nice: We sometimes don't realise it's just numbers and are in for a rude awakening the next time, especially if loads of girls over.:blush:

Mini Mac
28th-June-2007, 10:37 AM
i have no problems asking someone to dance as long as i think they look sensible and havent been drinking.:nice:

David Bailey
28th-June-2007, 10:50 AM
We sometimes don't realise it's just numbers and are in for a rude awakening the next time, especially if loads of girls over.:blush:
With me, it got to the point, that I could quite accurately estimate the ratio, by the number of women asking me to dance - bit spooky really.

Astro
28th-June-2007, 03:39 PM
i have no problems asking someone to dance as long as i think they look sensible and havent been drinking.:nice:

Innocent as a rose,
Bachelor dandies,
drinkers of brandies,
What do I know of those?

Fruity Oranges
28th-June-2007, 11:37 PM
I've been dancing for about 2 years now and I don't mind admitting that when I started I was quite a bit heavier than I am now.

When we went to freestyles in the early days I never got asked to dance:sad: , now call my cynical, but I honestly believe that it was because I was a big girl. When I asked a gentleman to dance, he would say yes (hesitantly) and you could see the trepidation in his face. I have to admit, it was funny to see his attitude toward me change when he realised that yes - I can dance, and I wasn't half bad either.:wink:

I'm now 3 stones lighter :clap: and I'm getting asked to dance more and more, and I can't help but wonder how many good dances men are missing out on by not asking the more curvaceous of us ladies to dance.:confused:

And before any men get offended - I know that some of you do ask the curvy ones to dance, just ask your friends to ask us too please :grin:

David Bailey
29th-June-2007, 10:36 AM
I'm now 3 stones lighter :clap: and I'm getting asked to dance more and more, and I can't help but wonder how many good dances men are missing out on by not asking the more curvaceous of us ladies to dance.:confused:
Size can be an issue, as can height - for similar reasons.

That's why we had the famous "Do you dance with fat people" and "Do you dance with tall people" threads... :)

It's not (for me) a "looks" thing, it's more a "will this dance cause problems or injuries" thing.

Fruity Oranges
29th-June-2007, 05:52 PM
Bless you, there should be more like you :nice:
I'm hopefully going to be doing a little bit of dancing in London in September. I may well have to look you up! :grin:

fletch
2nd-July-2007, 01:50 AM
I've been dancing for about 2 years now and I don't mind admitting that when I started I was quite a bit heavier than I am now.

When we went to freestyles in the early days I never got asked to dance:sad: , now call my cynical, but I honestly believe that it was because I was a big girl. When I asked a gentleman to dance, he would say yes (hesitantly) and you could see the trepidation in his face. I have to admit, it was funny to see his attitude toward me change when he realised that yes - I can dance, and I wasn't half bad either.:wink:

And before any men get offended - I know that some of you do ask the curvy ones to dance, just ask your friends to ask us too please :grin:

:respect: :worthy: :clap: :respect: :worthy: :clap:

and you look terrific. :worthy:

Yes, you are right, as someone who has lost 5 stone, and started dancing at a size 18 I know exactly what you mean. :tears:

You are starting to enjoy the feeling I got when I started to loose my weight,:clap: enjoy :respect:

however I have had some men comment, that they don't like sliding there hand across a ladies waist that are on the larger side :sad:

Trouble
2nd-July-2007, 09:29 AM
I dont have any problems what so ever and anyone that does have a problem with my size i would not want to dance with anyway.

I get asked repeatedly and often for more than one. i think size only effects the drops issues and that suits me fine as most can not do them properly anyway and if they could, my size would not matter as they would know that we in actual fact take most of our weight and inner core tensing makes it easier for them anyway. (thanks Snow White you know what for)...

So us curvacious girls, you keep rocking and if those with their nose stuck up in the air looking for the ponytail and midriff brigade give you the no no, smile sweetly and drop one as you walk away. :D :D :D :D

HelenB
2nd-July-2007, 09:54 AM
Asking for a dance - for me it's mainly a confidence thing

If I'm having an "on form" evening, I find it much easier to ask then when I'm feel like I'm dancing rubbish (being polite with my wording :innocent: )

But, having said that, I do ask more often that not - there's no point feeling miffed about not being approached if you're not prepared to approach people either. If you don't ask, you don't get :whistle: (and the more you ask the more you get)

I did use to find it really difficult, but seem to have overcome some of those fears now :D but still get insecure when no one asks me to dance :tears: . I much prefer being asked then doing the asking - who doesn't? :blush:

Refusing is another issue - we all have to do it sometime for genuine reasons. I take the majority view and try and ask that person to dance if I've refused them previously. And, by using the same formula, do tend to wait to be asked by them if they've refused me.

And finally, the main change about asking for me is having been on this forum and getting to know more people through it. It's definitely reduced the number of times I have to ask :clap: :cheers:

CJ
2nd-July-2007, 11:17 AM
For me, the biggest single influence is the music...

If it's a tune I love that I must dance to, then I'll move heaven and Earth to dance and, therefore, ask someone.
If the tune is ok, average, crap or even worse (I Don't Like Dancing or Now That I Can Dance), then I tend not to ask.

Lory
2nd-July-2007, 12:09 PM
however I have had some men comment, that they don't like sliding there hand across a ladies waist that are on the larger side :sad:

This can be interpreted two ways...

1. the guy is 'fat phobic' and doesn't like touching larger ladies (for whatever reason)

or

2. He's aware, that the lady herself might feel a little self conscious if he runs his hand over her roll of 'plumpness', not that 'he's' particularly offended by it but just that he doesn't want the lady to feel embarrased.

(perhaps this should be on the, 'do you dance with fat people' thread)

Martin
2nd-July-2007, 03:29 PM
(perhaps this should be on the, 'do you dance with fat people' thread)

Not an option for me as it is not a live thread... done a while ago...

BTW, I went out dancing tonight and the biggest girl in the room (even heavier than me) asked me to dance, we had a wonderful dance... I dance with my favorites and anyone who asks... I will make a point to ask her again when I see her, as she was a very nice person, who asked me nicely :flower: :respect:

2. He's aware, that the lady herself might feel a little self conscious if he runs his hand over her roll of 'plumpness', not that 'he's' particularly offended by it but just that he doesn't want the lady to feel embarrased.

I avoid running my hand around plumpness, I also avoid brushing massive breasts, elbows out, hands and body in control, to ensure a comfort factor for her... but I would never avoid the dance :D

sway
2nd-July-2007, 03:50 PM
as a bigger girl myself i love to ask teachers and make a point as a teacher iwont say who turned me down due to my size about a year ago, he was standing with his friends and they just laughed at me as i walked off i felt really s**t but then i heard 1 friend say i dare you to dance with her
and he did i said yes (must of been stupid) but then after the dance he said wow i was not expecting that would you like another dance

now i always make a point of asking teachers esp marc f and rocky

so yes dont judge a book by its cover i have been dancing 2 years now and have lost 2 stone and loving it still got 3 more to go but i am not even trying that hard

as for dips and drops i love them, nose bleeder is the best and the ballroom drop, as long as you trust the man then it does not matter i have reg dances with a man smaller then me and he dropes me all the time size only matter for lifts got i wont do them

David Bailey
2nd-July-2007, 03:54 PM
as a bigger girl myself i love to ask teachers and make a point as a teacher iwont say who turned me down due to my size about a year ago, he was standing with his friends and they just laughed at me as i walked off i felt really s**t but then i heard 1 friend say i dare you to dance with her
You know, that sounds familiar, I wonder who that teacher is... :whistle:

(Serious-moderator-hat-note: naming and shaming is not allowed.)

and he did i said yes (must of been stupid) but then after the dance he said wow i was not expecting that would you like another dance
I hope you told him to f*** off for being a hotshot scumbag.

Fruity Oranges
2nd-July-2007, 04:18 PM

I'm sorry, but what a condescending pr!ck. :angry: 'Wasn't expecting that' indeed - I don't know what teacher you're talking about and honestly I don't really want to , I'd find it really hard not to tell him what I thought of him. :mad:

Trouble
2nd-July-2007, 04:22 PM
I'm sorry, but what a condescending pr!ck. :angry: 'Wasn't expecting that' indeed - I don't know what teacher you're talking about and honestly I don't really want to , I'd find it really hard not to tell him what I thought of him. :mad:

i'd love to know who it was.......... still, probably not gonna find out.

Point remains, there are people out there with all sorts of phobias not just for people looking at other people but your own issues on top of that. If you are overweight, you automatically assume people dont want to dance with you because your curvacious but it could be completely unconnected and be something else like you smell or your dancing is not that good or he is just tired or he is chatting or many many other things. We ourselves assume its due to our weaknesses. Take ugly birds, they would assume it was because they was ugly or skinny birds, they would assume its cause they are skinny or hairy armpit birds, well they should just be shot... but you get my point...x

sway
2nd-July-2007, 04:26 PM
i am not gona dish the dirt he knows who he is and thats that soz i have not seen him since so i have not been able to say anything but now i have more confidence then i will the next time i will let you know if i do

Fruity Oranges
2nd-July-2007, 04:32 PM
i'd love to know who it was.......... still, probably not gonna find out.

Point remains, there are people out there with all sorts of phobias not just for people looking at other people but your own issues on top of that. If you are overweight, you automatically assume people dont want to dance with you because your curvacious but it could be completely unconnected and be something else like you smell or your dancing is not that good or he is just tired or he is chatting or many many other things. We ourselves assume its due to our weaknesses. Take ugly birds, they would assume it was because they was ugly or skinny birds, they would assume its cause they are skinny or hairy armpit birds, well they should just be shot... but you get my point...x

You're right, I know. But sometimes don't you just wanna.... :angry: :angry: :angry:

Right, venting over.
Yes, I do ask people to dance...:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Double Trouble
2nd-July-2007, 04:52 PM
(Serious-moderator-hat-note: naming and shaming is not allowed.)

You are such a spoil sport. Let me name him...go on...let me....!:rofl:

Astro
2nd-July-2007, 05:01 PM
You are starting to enjoy the feeling I got when I started to loose my weight,:clap: enjoy :respect:

Dear fletch
Can you solve this riddle?

When I started ceroc i January 2005 I was 11 stone.
I dropped a stone real quick in 3 months.
Then I dropped another half a stone over the next 6 months, so I was down to 9 and a half stone.

All through 2006 I was 10 stone.

Then in January 2007 I gave up smoking and missed 6 weeks dancing due to a leg injury.

By April I had shot up to 11 and a half stone!!!

Now it's July and I've seem to be stuck at just above 11 stone and am stuck there.

I just assumed that when I started dancing again the weight would drop off like it did when I first started. Was not worried about gaining weight.

I realise I have more muscle weight now, but I am having to borrow my sons' jeans. I weigh more than when I started.

Does the huge weight loss only happen for beginners?

Fed up from London.

Double Trouble
2nd-July-2007, 05:07 PM
Fed up from London.

Yeah me too. I've gained 2 stone since dancing. How does that work?

Might be all the cake I eat.:blush:

Red Lory
2nd-July-2007, 09:07 PM

now i always make a point of asking teachers esp marc f and rocky

so yes dont judge a book by its cover i have been dancing 2 years now and have lost 2 stone and loving it still got 3 more to go but i am not even trying that hard

as for dips and drops i love them, nose bleeder is the best and the ballroom drop, as long as you trust the man then it does not matter i have reg dances with a man smaller then me and he dropes me all the time size only matter for lifts got i wont do them

I've danced with skinny people who moved like they were made of wood!

nebula
2nd-July-2007, 09:09 PM

Clueless
2nd-July-2007, 11:25 PM

:yeah: too though I ask all and any and I sometimes watch them on the floor and see how they move. All that matters to me is the dance and nothing else!

jinski
12th-July-2007, 08:44 PM
I do find that I stop asking if I never get asked back – I start assuming that they don’t really like dancing with me

This came up in discussion recently!

Although I have to get my head into 'ask' mod I do ask, as I learnt a while ago that if I didn't then I wouldn't get to dance at all - and strangly enough I was a good stone heavier than I am now :angry:

However although I now get asked alot more as I know more people there are a number of more experienced male's that I enjoy dancing with but having asked them a couple of times they have never asked me so I now assume rightly or wrongly that they do not like dancing with me :tears: :tears: :tears: Consequently I no longer ask them :(:(

dave the scaffolder
12th-July-2007, 09:09 PM
I have one simple rule i try not to refuse anyone, when i had my injuries i only danced with women or men i knew, and they knew i had an injury so carefull was the dance.

Now i am fit again and will not refuse anyone, however if i ask a female to dance and she refuses i never ask her again....Simple really, a bit like me...simple.

And as for the more cuvacious women...I LOVE THEM...they can dance and are as light as a feather.. Pony tail and midriff...waste of time mostly.

XXX XXX DTS Dave:respect::respect:

LilyB
13th-July-2007, 12:11 AM
... Pony tail and midriff...waste of time mostly.

:tears: :tears: :tears::tears: :tears:

JiveLad
13th-July-2007, 06:57 AM
Pony tail and midriff...waste of time mostly.

:sick:
Ok - I'll get my haircut before we dance again - cover up mi belly button.

PS - You are the one who broke my male-male dancing virginity......and you are (so far) still the only one I've 'done it' with. Do you feel special?

Gav
16th-July-2007, 09:41 AM
And as for the more cuvacious women...I LOVE THEM...they can dance and are as light as a feather..

Are we still talking about dancing? :-)

Pony tail and midriff...waste of time mostly.

I thought we got that cleared up Dave? Remember those "Pony tail and midriff" (as you put it) that I got you to dance with and you were pleasantly surprise? :rolleyes:

Trouble
16th-July-2007, 09:54 PM
:sick:
Ok - I'll get my haircut before we dance again - cover up mi belly button.

PS - You are the one who broke my male-male dancing virginity......and you are (so far) still the only one I've 'done it' with. Do you feel special?
Of course i feel special you always make me feel special (dont tell the wifes).
XXX XXX DTS Dave:love:

johnnyman
8th-August-2007, 05:44 PM
I think as you evolve as a dancer, those who want to dance with you will gravitate towards you if you have paid attention to your dancing and developed those elements that strengthen your lead. By this I mean being clearer and considerate with your dance partner.

I do encounter a lot of ladies at events who clearly seem happier to stick with one or two specific dancers or their partner. Certainly those couples who are in fixed partner mode during classes and learn together. I do feel they should broaden their circle. I think you learn a lot more dancing with different people and other people learn from you.

One thing I tried the last time I was at Southport was accepting every single ladies' offer to dance, irrespective of level, because I know that hearing 'No thank you' or other nay-say reasons has a negative effect on your confidence. I didn't want to say no to people for any reason.

nebula
9th-August-2007, 08:43 AM
That is so nice!
I had a bust-up with a chap (nothing to do with dance) and now he won't dance with me, which I think is very mean. Our personal feelings - and I don't feel all that luverly about him either - shoudn't interfere in the enjoyment of dance. So, good for you for not saying No! As a follower, hearing No is very deflating.

David Bailey
9th-August-2007, 09:22 AM
That is so nice!
I had a bust-up with a chap (nothing to do with dance) and now he won't dance with me, which I think is very mean.
Why? I'm not saying he's not mean, but I can understand that ex-dancing is a dodgy area - or so I've heard, from people who have these relationship things...

Our personal feelings - and I don't feel all that luverly about him either - shoudn't interfere in the enjoyment of dance.
Well, except that dance is very personal and subjective, so feeling do come into it.

So, good for you for not saying No! As a follower, hearing No is very deflating.
:yeah: - as a leader it's not a lot of fun either.

nebula
9th-August-2007, 05:23 PM
He isn't an ex - we just had a personal disagreement, when I was shouted at, as well. But I had come back from hols, and thought - oh, well, let's forget about the bad feelings - I'll be nice, and we'll dance. But he obviously harboured the resentment for 2 weeks (nothing else to do, obviously!), and hissed No through clenched teeth. Very mean.
I suppose, on this note - yes, dance being personal and subjective, I am sure he wouldn't have felt nice dancing with me. I would have, given a chance.

David Bailey
9th-August-2007, 05:26 PM
He isn't an ex - we just had a personal disagreement, when I was shouted at, as well. But I had come back from hols, and thought - oh, well, let's forget about the bad feelings - I'll be nice, and we'll dance.
Well, that's nice of you.

But he obviously harboured the resentment for 2 weeks (nothing else to do, obviously!),
Mmm, sounds like he's not the only one who's a bit miffed.

and hissed No through clenched teeth.

Funny, I get that response a lot too... :D

Very mean.
Seriously, dance involves emotions, and it's difficult to judge how people will react, once you've had a bit of a ruck.

nebula
9th-August-2007, 05:29 PM
Funny, I get that response a lot too... :D
Really? I wonder why...:wink:

David Bailey
9th-August-2007, 05:45 PM
Really? I wonder why...:wink:
It's my winning personality.

Lory
9th-August-2007, 07:16 PM
A few weeks back, I went along to my first Salsa class.

It had a 'similar' format to a normal Ceroc night. So, after the class, the freestyle started and as I didn't know anyone, I asked the nearest guy, he agreed, then the next track came on and I asked another. he agree, this happened five times, I was on a roll :D .... then an announcement came over the mic, now its time for the ladies to be brave and ask a guy :what: oops :blush:

So, I thought, what the hell and boldly asked the teacher :na: who agreed, in fact we had a great dance IMO :clap:

Later on I got chatting to a couple of girls who said, hey, we saw you dancing with the teacher...he NEVER dances with anyone :cool: oops again :blush: :rofl:

I'm so glad I didn't go armed with all the inside info and protocol, as I don't think i'd have had such a good time! :wink:

tiger
30th-August-2007, 11:11 AM
A few weeks back, I went along to my first Salsa class.

It had a 'similar' format to a normal Ceroc night. So, after the class, the freestyle started and as I didn't know anyone, I asked the nearest guy, he agreed, then the next track came on and I asked another. he agree, this happened five times, I was on a roll :D .... then an announcement came over the mic, now its time for the ladies to be brave and ask a guy :what: oops :blush:

So, I thought, what the hell and boldly asked the teacher :na: who agreed, in fact we had a great dance IMO :clap:

Later on I got chatting to a couple of girls who said, hey, we saw you dancing with the teacher...he NEVER dances with anyone :cool: oops again :blush: :rofl:

I'm so glad I didn't go armed with all the inside info and protocol, as I don't think i'd have had such a good time! :wink:

:respect::respect: