2. no knickers
3. cleavage
4. midriff bare
5. dancing skills
:yum: :rolleyes:

straycat
11th-June-2007, 03:28 PM
This is the Male only version of Woodface's poll! As requested! :nice:

I actually meant two identical polls entitled 'What women want' - one for men to complete, and one for women...

But this could be interesting too :waycool:

Lory
11th-June-2007, 03:31 PM
I actually meant two identical polls entitled 'What women want' - one for men to complete, and one for women...

But this could be interesting too :waycool:

I've had to adapt it very slightly! :)

Try and be HONEST, guys! :wink:

Tessalicious
11th-June-2007, 03:32 PM
Can this apply to any leads, or just male ones? :whistle:

killingtime
11th-June-2007, 03:40 PM
Try and be HONEST, guys! :wink:

I did at first I ticked the "When women make it feel like they are trying to seduce me" but it isn't true. I might like a little flirting in a dance but I'm not actually looking to be seduced (and if a woman leaves playful and is trying to seduce me instead I'd probably be uncomfortable).

An "interpretive" follow can be lovely and sometimes challenging which is great. I love it when I feel like I've really pushed my dance abilities but at other times I prefer it when the dance is just relaxed.

I'm not looking for a woman who can spin a lot but it can connect with musicality and therefore might be something that would be great in a dance.

Like Aleks said on the "what women want" thread a nice scent is lovely but I guess just not smelly is what I look for :D.

So basically everything on your list including some contradictions. Sure that helps loads :wink:.

straycat
11th-June-2007, 03:40 PM
It's actually a tougher question than I expected. Basically, almost all of the things above can contribute (yes, including 'pretty and smells nice' - I have my shallow moments :D)

Seduction - nah. Never been comfortable with that feeling in a dance. Even in my single days. I can enjoy dances when I'm pushed, I can enjoy dances when I'm not... in the end though, if my partner simply wants to enjoy the dance for what it is (and doesn't try ripping my arms off) - chances are I'll enjoy it. Unless the music's rubbish :whistle:

ducasi
11th-June-2007, 04:08 PM
When women make it feel like they are trying to seduce me
Flirting is good, seduction isn't.

When it is fun and the woman makes me laugh
Fun is fun. Though don't want to be in tears of laughter for every dance.

When she interprets the lead different from most other people
Sounds exactly what a guy wouldn't want – it's easier to dance with someone if you can predict where they'll end up at the end of each move.

Interpretation is good though.

When the woman is pretty and smells nice
Of course. :)

When I am pushed in my dancing abilities
A little change can be nice, but again, not for every dance.

When my dancing abilites are not pushed
This is more pleasant.

When the woman makes me do moves I didn't realise I could do
Not sure about "makes me", but I find there are two sorts of follower – ones where the moves disappear and I just dance, and ones where I find myself locked into moves.

I've no idea where the difference is – it's not in the skill level of the dancer, so it must be something else.

When the woman spins alot :-P
I like spins with musicality. I like spinning women. I especially like women who like lots of assisted spins. :devil:

good connection
A must.

good musicality
Just so long as they can connect their musicality with mine, and not try to impose their own interpretation of the music onto me.

good follow
Another must!

I'm a woman but wanted to vote anyway
Nope!

Eye contact!
That's good, but not too much.

Other - see post below!
I've covered everything above, I think. I like to dance with women who can improvise, and can allow me to improvise. I like dancing with women who can dance to my lead. I like to vary the pace, and my follow needs to be able to keep up when I'm faster, and slow down when I slow down.

Just thought of something else... I want to dance with women who don't anticipate, don't over-stylise, don't have spaghetti arms and who smile.

The smiling bit is probably the most important. :)

Ghost
11th-June-2007, 04:21 PM
There's a catch to "good connection" - it's got to be someone I want to actually be connected with. 99 out of 100, not a problem, but there are a few women who "shiver my skin" as Flint might say. :what:

TA Guy
11th-June-2007, 04:28 PM
Smoothness.

Not the 'Be all and end all', but close for me.

Fun is a tricky one. Very, very rare that a dance is not fun for me. Dancing is just fun. What can I say?

Don't mind if there's no interpretive musicality on her side (tho that's a plus, big plus, unless it's overdone).
Don't mind if she looks at her feet from time to time or missing any of those things that are about 'looking good' rather than 'feeling good'.
Don't mind if she doesn't smile or make eye contact, my days of needing an emotional connection to have a WOW! dance are long gone, often the real smile and eye contact comes after. Sign of age I guess :)

Bottom line, like lots of blokes, I'm usually happy if she says 'yes' :)

...and if she can cook, so much the better :)

Dreadful Scathe
11th-June-2007, 06:13 PM
wheres the "nice tits" option :confused: ? :)

MartinHarper
11th-June-2007, 06:26 PM
When the woman makes me do moves I didn't realise I could do

Both of these don't apply very well to leads.

Jamie
11th-June-2007, 06:32 PM

They do when your dancing with followers that don't follow very well :whistle:

Magic Hans
11th-June-2007, 06:33 PM
Although I did put down the 'fun and playful' option, I really mean dancing with the mood of the dance and playing with that .... so fun and playful with a happy poppy feelgood track will inevitably look entirely different to fun and playful to an upright arrogant latin track ... or a smooth bluesy or riproaring rocky track!

Make sense??

Hope so!

Wouldbe
11th-June-2007, 06:59 PM
Just clarifying one point. I like my dance ability to be pushed, but not if that means struggling because she is back-leading or anticipating. That just makes me :mad: cos it's challenging, yes, but so frustrating because it becomes more like going through the motions.
If the lady wants the lead, she can steal it anytime. Love it when she does a bit of sabotage., but heaven help you if you jump ahead when I'm in the middle of a basket pull offer turn and dip!

Gav
11th-June-2007, 07:41 PM
I like to feel I'm being seduced by an attractive woman when I'm dancing, especially if there's a connection. Makes it all the more intense. :drool::drool::drool: But it's still just a dance, nothing more. :flower:
I'm sure that 99% of the time it's only in my mind anyway. :tears::tears::tears:

Spin dryer
12th-June-2007, 12:20 AM
In one sense I would tick many of the poll options. But for me, the question is what I can give to the woman rather than what I want from her. I want her to have a wonderful time, and if I sense that she is happy then so will I be.

bigdjiver
12th-June-2007, 01:36 AM
Aren't we lucky to have a hobby where all of these options, and more, are possible. That variety of experience is what I want.

Lory
12th-June-2007, 07:17 AM
But for me, the question is what I can give to the woman rather than what I want from her. I want her to have a wonderful time, and if I sense that she is happy then so will I be.

What a perfect answer! :worthy:

Lee Bartholomew
12th-June-2007, 08:43 AM
In one sense I would tick many of the poll options. But for me, the question is what I can give to the woman rather than what I want from her. I want her to have a wonderful time, and if I sense that she is happy then so will I be.

What a perfect answer! :worthy:

Nope the perfect example of posting what you think people want to hear.

Double Trouble
12th-June-2007, 08:57 AM
Nope the perfect example of posting what you think people want to hear.

:rofl: That's exactly what I was thinking.:worthy:

killingtime
12th-June-2007, 11:31 AM

Actually I went for the "When the woman makes me do moves I didn't realise I could do" from a follower perspective. I love it when I'm put into walking moves, eskimos and such and I'm really aware of what I'm doing. It's nice.

Astro
12th-June-2007, 11:57 AM
I like spins with musicality. I like spinning women. I especially like women who like lots of assisted spins. :devil:
Why didn't you tick the spinning box?

Woodface is the only one who has so far. :nice:

Seems men don't want spinning. Do you men feel as if you are losing control of the dance when a woman puts in a multiple spin? (which does fit in musically). And/or, are you just jealous cos you can't spin as well?

Gav
12th-June-2007, 12:14 PM
Seems men don't want spinning. Do you men feel as if you are losing control of the dance when a woman puts in a multiple spin? (which does fit in musically). And/or, are you just jealous cos you can't spin as well?

I think you're confusing "don't see lots of spinning as especially important" with "don't want multiple spins".

Spin as much as you like, I'll be fine with that, but I'll ask for another dance based on how much I enjoy dancing with you, not how good you are at spinning. :flower:

FirstMove
12th-June-2007, 02:08 PM
Personally, I'm looking for a memorable dance.

It might be that the connection is especially good, a sabotage particularly sneaky, the moves flow well, her smile is nice, or any number of other wonderful things. :flower:

Essentially, I want something novel. Given that I've danced with the regular women at my local classes countless times, this becomes harder and harder to achieve. :eek:

Typically, if I think back to the dances I had the previous night, I struggle to remember any dances at all. :blush:

David Bailey
12th-June-2007, 02:19 PM
Do you men feel as if you are losing control of the dance when a woman puts in a multiple spin? (which does fit in musically).
As I said on the other thread, spinning breaks connection. Multiple spinning, even more so.

And/or, are you just jealous cos you can't spin as well?
Blimey, there are so many other things I can't do well, spinning doesn't even register on the list.

MartinHarper
12th-June-2007, 02:27 PM
Why didn't you tick the spinning box? Seems men don't want spinning.

It doesn't really apply to leaders. My partner will spin the amount that I lead her to spin.

ducasi
12th-June-2007, 04:30 PM
Why didn't you tick the spinning box?

Woodface is the only one who has so far. :nice:

I don't like it when women spin a lot for no reason – I like the odd multiple spin when it is musically useful. But because I am leading (what in my mind is) a musical dance, and I don't like to rely on a woman being able to pull multiple spins out of a hat, I tend to only leads spins where a single spin is appropriate.

That said, I occasionally will lead multiple spins when I think they are wanted, and when I think the follower is capable of doing them, but I'll more likely just do however-many assisted spins that I think are needed.

Or to put it another way... I'm a control freak, and like to never let my follower too far out of my control. ;)

So, women who do random multiple spins are not sought-out for dances, thus no tick.

Astro
12th-June-2007, 04:57 PM
I think you're confusing "don't see lots of spinning as especially important" with "don't want multiple spins". Yes, I was looking at the women's poll and would not tick being a good spinner as important to a man, although I do admire it.

As I said on the other thread, spinning breaks connection. Multiple spinning, even more so. I think 9 beats unconnected is allowed when competing? Which spinning thread DJ?

It doesn't really apply to leaders. My partner will spin the amount that I lead her to spin. Not true, once led into a spin, she could technically multiple spin as long as she wanted. Unless, you mean you would block her?

I don't like it when women spin a lot for no reason – I like the odd multiple spin when it is musically useful. But because I am leading (what in my mind is) a musical dance, and I don't like to rely on a woman being able to pull multiple spins out of a hat, I tend to only leads spins where a single spin is appropriate.

That said, I occasionally will lead multiple spins when I think they are wanted, and when I think the follower is capable of doing them, but I'll more likely just do however-many assisted spins that I think are needed.

Or to put it another way... I'm a control freak, and like to never let my follower too far out of my control. ;)

So, women who do random multiple spins are not sought-out for dances, thus no tick.
I get you now.
Ever since I started MJ I've allows enjoyed watching the ladies spin, visually, it's the best part IMO. Now that I've got my balance and can spin, I find out that the men don't rate spinning.:tears:

ducasi
12th-June-2007, 05:07 PM
Ever since I started MJ I've allows enjoyed watching the ladies spin, visually, it's the best part IMO. Now that I've got my balance and can spin, I find out that the men don't rate spinning.:tears:
I agree, visually, spinning is much appreciated – especially when accompanied by a big swirly skirt. :D I don't dismiss the ability to spin, and folks who can free spin well usually can also be assisted-spun well. :respect:

But it has to be in the context of a musical dance, so I don't "rate" followers who just do lots of spins for the sake of it.

David Bailey
12th-June-2007, 05:10 PM
I think 9 beats unconnected is allowed when competing? Which spinning thread DJ?
"Spinning videos" thread, somewhere... :)

Not true, once led into a spin, she could technically multiple spin as long as she wanted. Unless, you mean you would block her?
A leader can signal the strength (more properly, the allowed time, by the amount of prep provided) for a spin - a follower can of course then decide to ignore the lead's signal. But then, we can decide to go and have a cup of tea whilst we're waiting for you to finish spinning. :na:

It's not very important to me. I've danced with most of the best-rated followers in the MJ scene, and up until now I can honestly say I've never wanted to dance with someone because they're a good spinner.

I've no idea how good at spinning some dancers like LilyB, Nina, CeeCee, Plum, Susie, and so on are - they may be superb, of course. But for the purposes of the poll, it's not important to me.

MartinHarper
12th-June-2007, 07:29 PM
Not true, once led into a spin, she could technically multiple spin as long as she wanted.

This is very much the exception. In practice if I want my follower to spin a lot, then I can just lead her in lots of spins. If I want my follower to do multi-spins, then I lead multi-spins. If I don't, then I don't. That's why that option doesn't make a lot of sense for leaders, which is probably why it's not been a popular choice.

Spin dryer
13th-June-2007, 12:44 AM
As I said on the other thread, spinning breaks connection. Multiple spinning, even more so.

Agreed, but isn't it a lovely feeling to have it, to let it go and then to recapture it again?

David Bailey
13th-June-2007, 09:06 AM
Agreed, but isn't it a lovely feeling to have it, to let it go and then to recapture it again?
Hmmm, interesting point, I hadn't thought of it like that. Yes, I guess there's something to that.

I don't mind spinning - I just mind people thinking it's the Bees Knees of partner dancing.

It's like saying "Aerials are essential, only the Cool Dancers do them"

Wuzzle
13th-June-2007, 11:37 AM
Eye contact, good connection but what really makes a nice dance for me is a smile. I dont think thats on the list.

I ticked good looking really for smelling nice part. Think thats universal no one wants to dance with someone who stinks.

I know am well guilty of not smiling much on the dance floor or off it coming to think about it. :blush: Nothing beats a smile though for me

Lee Bartholomew
13th-June-2007, 11:50 AM
I agree, visually, spinning is much appreciated – especially when accompanied by a big swirly skirt.

Damn , thats where it's going wrong. :waycool:

Why is it, almost all of the threads I post on, turn to spinning? It wasn't even me that brought it up on this one. :what:

Astro
13th-June-2007, 01:00 PM

Is an assisted spin like a ceroc spin or is it a turn?

Do you appreciate a woman who is capable of multiple travelling turns that you lead?

whitetiger1518
13th-June-2007, 01:35 PM
Damn , thats where it's going wrong. :waycool: :eek: what an image (or is it just me imagining woodface in a ball dress? :eek: )

Why is it, almost all of the threads I post on, turn to spinning?
What else would it turn towards? :rofl:

Whitetiger

Juju
13th-June-2007, 09:24 PM
Nothing beats a smile though for me

I spent most of my Southport dancing time smiling. To the extent that I was beginning to worry that I was doing it too much. However, I just couldn't seem to stop myself - I just enjoyed dancing so much (that is, until I damaged my back on Sunday night :sad: ).

I find this comment reassuring, but at the same time I feel the need to ask: Can you get too much of a good thing? Should I be worried? Does it need to stop?

Please advise.

Twirlie Bird
14th-June-2007, 01:08 AM
It's like saying "Aerials are essential, only the Cool Dancers do them"

Hey mister DJ don't even go there :whistle:

Why is it, almost all of the threads I post on, turn to spinning? It wasn't even me that brought it up on this one. :what:

It's not just spinning either :rolleyes:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

killingtime
14th-June-2007, 10:37 AM
I find this comment reassuring, but at the same time I feel the need to ask: Can you get too much of a good thing? Should I be worried? Does it need to stop?

Did you do the first (I think) WCS class at Southport. The one with a right side pass. Tatiana was talking about maintaining eye contact with the lead and Jordan was saying it's great but too much is creepy. Tatiana then proceeded to contort around as she passed him so she always maintained eye contact. It was funny but it made the point well: I don't think you can smile to much; it looks like you are enjoying yourself, which is a good thing but there is probably a disturbing level in it (I haven't encountered that yet though, I have with one woman and her eye contact though).

I did like Tatiana's demonstration of better eye contact for that move (with timing):

"You're hot".
"And I want you."
"But I don't"
"But I kinda do".

Astro
14th-June-2007, 01:14 PM
Did you do the first (I think) WCS class at Southport. The one with a right side pass. Tatiana was talking about maintaining eye contact with the lead and Jordan was saying it's great but too much is creepy. Tatiana then proceeded to contort around as she passed him so she always maintained eye contact. It was funny but it made the point well: I don't think you can smile to much; it looks like you are enjoying yourself, which is a good thing but there is probably a disturbing level in it (I haven't encountered that yet though, I have with one woman and her eye contact though).

Plus, as Barry once said, too much eye contact is dangerous. You need to be watching out for the other dancers to avoid accidents. Followers too.

killingtime
14th-June-2007, 01:23 PM
Plus, as Barry once said, too much eye contact is dangerous. You need to be watching out for the other dancers to avoid accidents. Followers too.

Meh. It depends on floor space. It is really busy I tend not to give much eye contact as I'm too busy watching the crazies around me. Indeed I think one guy at a recent event looked proud when I was watching him do a drop. He was probably thinking "that guy is admiring my l33t skillz" when, in fact, I was making sure I didn't stand on the woman he was dropping about 2" away from my feet :angry:.

If you consistently got a chunk of floor space and you are "sticking to your area" generally you can focus much more on your partner. It's nice :flower:.

Miguel
16th-June-2007, 03:28 PM
What men want from women! (http://www.dancedancedance.com/whtwomen.htm#what%20men)

Juju
16th-June-2007, 03:49 PM
What men want from women! (http://www.dancedancedance.com/whtwomen.htm#what%20men)

I scored 5/10 in the list of What Men Don't Want. :eek: :rofl:

Luckily I scored a bit better in the other one, in my humble opinion of course. :whistle:

ducasi
24th-June-2007, 07:42 PM
Is an assisted spin like a ceroc spin or is it a turn?
Assisted spins are spins where the guy is assisting the spinning as it happens – so a bit like a fast turn.

Do you appreciate a woman who is capable of multiple travelling turns that you lead?
Of course. How do you spell chane?

Freudian Hips
24th-June-2007, 08:16 PM
Of course. How do you spell chane?

Chenne - As I learnt ballet in English, just don't ask me where the accents are :blush: I'm sure the French amongst us will help out! :worthy: :respect:

Clueless
24th-June-2007, 09:27 PM
I find that if a woman is tying to seduce me or overly flirting with me I can feel fairly uncomfortable and 'on the spot'. I am a flirt and the light hearted fun flirting is always banter and can provide for a good dance.

Though connection, good follow, the occasional hi-jack, musicality eye connection all provide for a good dance

Lory
24th-June-2007, 09:52 PM
Chenne - As I learnt ballet in English, just don't ask me where the accents are :blush:

Chaînés :flower:

Trouble
28th-June-2007, 08:49 AM
I find that if a woman is tying to seduce me

and then he woke up.... :love: :flower:

Clueless
28th-June-2007, 09:19 PM
and then he woke up.... :love: :flower:

Damn so it was a dream then!!