PDA

View Full Version : What do you ladies want?

Lee Bartholomew
11th-June-2007, 01:11 PM
Sure it prob been covered before but things change......

Being a man (most of the time), was wondering what makes you girlies out there really enjoy a dance.

Have thrown on a pool so vote, discuss and argue :wink:

P.s. decided not to put 'as long as they dance like woodface, i'll be happy' as a variety of responses would be nice. :na:

Caro
11th-June-2007, 01:15 PM
I want connection (part of that is a smooth lead, another very important one is the lead to listen to me and give me as much space as I feel like taking), and musicality - but I am starting to being able to take care of this myself if need be (although it's not as enjoyable), so... connection really. But will that be in your poll ? :rolleyes:

EDIT: it's not, I win ;)

Lee Bartholomew
11th-June-2007, 01:19 PM
I want connection (part of that is a smooth lead, another very important one is the lead to listen to me and give me as much space as I feel like taking), and musicality - but I am starting to being able to take care of this myself if need be (although it's not as enjoyable), so... connection really. But will that be in your poll ? :rolleyes:

Ah. Found a use for Mods. :wink:

Aleks
11th-June-2007, 01:20 PM
To qualify my voting.....handsome is irrelevant, but smelling nice is a definite plus!

Ghost
11th-June-2007, 01:22 PM

Could some kindly Moderator add connection please :flower:

I've been asking a similar queston of ladies for a while now along the lines of
"Think of the dances you really enjoyed - were there any that didn't have good connection? And have you had any dances with really good connection that you didn't enjoy?"

(though connection was being used in the broader sense to cover emotional connection as well, rather than just limited to physical technique)

ducasi
11th-June-2007, 01:25 PM
Ah. Found a use for Mods. :wink:
I've added the things that Caro mentioned, plus an "other" option which people voting for should explain in a post. :)

Trouble
11th-June-2007, 02:18 PM
I like a lead to make me feel like im the only person in the room and our dance time is special. Eye contact for me is especially important as this shows me the lead is concentrating on us and what we are doing. I like the connection that can be achieved when that happens. Musicality, breaks and fun alongside the above make for a fantastic dance every time. :flower:

Lee Bartholomew
11th-June-2007, 02:20 PM
he reason I didn't add Good Connection, good lead etc is because they are obvious. No one would vote for a rubbish lead or bad connection would they? :grin:

David Bailey
11th-June-2007, 02:26 PM
he reason I didn't add Good Connection, good lead etc is because they are obvious. No one would vote for a rubbish lead or bad connection would they? :grin:
But people clearly would hate it "When the man is handsome and smells nice."?

Lee Bartholomew
11th-June-2007, 02:27 PM

Ob not because I have seen you getting asked for a dance. :na:

Trouble
11th-June-2007, 02:32 PM

:rofl: :rofl: you walked into that one DJ xxx :flower: xx

David Bailey
11th-June-2007, 02:35 PM
:D You have to :respect: a man who skates on such thin ice. :whistle:

Trouble
11th-June-2007, 02:40 PM

ooh read between the lines WF.....oooooohh ooooh popcorn popcorn.....:awe: :love:

Lee Bartholomew
11th-June-2007, 02:50 PM

It's not ice, I just make the dancefloor look that way with my spins and slides. :na:

straycat
11th-June-2007, 02:57 PM

Not when, time after time, after the ice has broken under his weight** and he's somehow struggled back to the shore mauled by killer whales and dripping blood everywhere, he publicly congratulates himself for his icemanship :whistle:

**May I take this opportunity to point out that bonfires and ice sometimes don't mix

David Bailey
11th-June-2007, 03:04 PM
What was this thread about again?

Twirly
11th-June-2007, 03:09 PM

Woodface has turned himself into Sigmund Freud... I doubt he'll get the answer he's looking for either.

David Bailey
11th-June-2007, 03:10 PM
Woodface has turned himself into Sigmund Freud... I doubt he'll get the answer he's looking for either.
Isn't that Bono?

Caro
11th-June-2007, 03:11 PM

Are you looking for consistency and, dare I type the word, logic, in WF's posts and thinking ? I thought better of you Mr James... :whistle:

Lory
11th-June-2007, 03:11 PM
Sorry WF, I had to add Eye contact before I could vote! :waycool: :na:

Zara
11th-June-2007, 03:16 PM
I like a lead to make me feel like im the only person in the room and our dance time is special. Eye contact for me is especially important as this shows me the lead is concentrating on us and what we are doing. I like the connection that can be achieved when that happens. Musicality, breaks and fun alongside the above make for a fantastic dance every time. :flower:

:yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

Its nice when a man can find a balance between leading a smooth and comfortable dance and providing challenges. Its great when you end up pulling off moves you never expected you could and when it goes wrong your both not too proud to laugh it off. A lead who doesnt take things too seriously does it for me. Smelling good is also a plus point :wink:

straycat
11th-June-2007, 03:18 PM
Actually - it would have been quite fun to have two versions of this poll - same question, and identical answers, but one which was men-only, and the other which was ladies-only.

Men only allowed to look at the ladies' poll after they'd voted, and vice-versa.
I'm a little curious as to what the differences might've been...

straycat
11th-June-2007, 03:20 PM

You surely weren't expecting me to stay on topic, were you? Come on, DJ.... my brain just doesn't work that way. :rolleyes: You know that...

Lee Bartholomew
11th-June-2007, 03:21 PM
Actually - it would have been quite fun to have two versions of this poll - same question, and identical answers, but one which was men-only, and the other which was ladies-only.

Men only allowed to look at the ladies' poll after they'd voted, and vice-versa.

That would have been interesting. Main point of this poll was to have a thread chatting to the ladies on my own. Dammn you lot. :na: .

Lory
11th-June-2007, 03:21 PM

I'll make one! ;)

Plus I agree with all what Trouble and Zara have said! :cheers: :clap:

Cruella
11th-June-2007, 03:31 PM
It looks like I want more than most ladies! :blush:

Trouble
11th-June-2007, 03:33 PM

saucy mare. :wink:

Lory
11th-June-2007, 03:36 PM

I 'would' have picked the top one but then I thought about it and it definitely doesn't apply to 'every' man! :wink: :rofl:

Trouble
11th-June-2007, 03:38 PM
I 'would' have picked the top one but then I thought about it and it definitely doesn't apply to 'every' man! :wink: :rofl:

i like to turn that around. you should see the fear in their little faces. :D

Clueless
11th-June-2007, 09:23 PM
That would have been interesting. Main point of this poll was to have a thread chatting to the ladies on my own. Dammn you lot. :na: .

Dude have you never watched nature documentaries? where if a male has a harem of females it isn't long till the Alpha male is met with heavy competition

:D :D

Eye contact and good connection are essential for a good dance IMO

Spin dryer
11th-June-2007, 11:23 PM
Sorry WF, I had to add Eye contact before I could vote! :waycool: :na:

As windows to to your heart and soul, eye contact can add so much to a dance. Is there not a paradox, therefore, in that when you are in a close embrace (in tango for example) you have none?

Caro
11th-June-2007, 11:36 PM
As windows to to your heart and soul, eye contact can add so much to a dance. Is there not a paradox, therefore, in that when you are in a close embrace (in tango for example) you have none?

I've been thinking about that lately, as I have found myself going through a phase of little eye contact (too shy), one of a lot of eye contact (wanted to connect as much as possible), and I am now back to a phase with little eye contact again. When I'm really into a dance, I have found myself concentrating a lot more on the music and my partner's body than eye contact. I'm so concentrated on listening to what the music is telling me to do AND finding how I can realise it given where my partner is at the time and what he is currently doing, that there's been little place for eye contact.

And in those dances, I also tend to give a closer blues hold than I used to (the shy thing again), and replaced eye contact by fuller body connection (the best I sometimes find with some (very few though, I'm still a shy thing) partners at the moment being face to face connection - i.e. cheek or forehead to cheek depending on height - as in AT). And I have found that so much more powerful a connection than eye contact (but I'm not saying there's no eye contact left either, there's clearly still some).

hmmm... am I making sense here ?

Spin dryer
11th-June-2007, 11:53 PM
I've been thinking about that lately, as I have found myself going through a phase of little eye contact (too shy), one of a lot of eye contact (wanted to connect as much as possible), and I am now back to a phase with little eye contact again. When I'm really into a dance, I have found myself concentrating a lot more on the music and my partner's body than eye contact. I'm so concentrated on listening to what the music is telling me to do AND finding how I can realise it given where my partner is at the time and what he is currently doing, that there's been little place for eye contact.

And in those dances, I also tend to give a closer blues hold than I used to (the shy thing again), and replaced eye contact by fuller body connection (the best I sometimes find with some (very few though, I'm still a shy thing) partners at the moment being face to face connection - i.e. cheek or forehead to cheek depending on height - as in AT). And I have found that so much more powerful a connection than eye contact (but I'm not saying there's no eye contact left either, there's clearly still some).

hmmm... am I making sense here ?

That makes perfect sense. Perhaps the answer is this: good eye contact does make for good connection, and with your eyes and face you can express an unlimited range of emotions. It's enormous fun to play with eye contact. But once you have decided that you want true connection, then you can only have that in a close embrace.

Trouble
12th-June-2007, 12:51 PM
mind you......... more of this would be good. !!!

Trouble
12th-June-2007, 12:53 PM
and less of this.....
:respect: :love:

Double Trouble
12th-June-2007, 12:53 PM
mind you......... more of this would be good. !!!

Oh yeah.....bow chika wow wow....!:awe: :awe: :awe:

whitetiger1518
12th-June-2007, 02:20 PM
Most important for me are:
Some of the usual things like connection and musicality.F
For that added extra for memorability give me Eye Contact (or alternativelty not - particularly in the Blues room :drool: ) any day. makes everything melt away....

I suppose it depends on the guy and the track - though a smile never hurt any guy - and usually does them a favour or two :)!

Whitetiger

Mythical
12th-June-2007, 05:19 PM
Not that I'm about to start picking and choosing - what I want from a dance depends on who I'm dancing with. Yeah, handsome and smells good is always tempting, but if he's a bad lead, I'll soon wish I was dancing with the short, bald guy in the corner with wet pits.

Some of my favourite leads, I love to dance with because they look after me and make dancing with them easy. Others, I love to dance with because they TRY to catch me out, and I have to concentrate really hard to stay upright.
Yeah, so I'm difficult to please. I AM female after all!

Double Trouble
12th-June-2007, 05:28 PM
I love to dance with because they TRY to catch me out, and I have to concentrate really hard to stay upright.

Oh God, I hate that...! It's like Krypton Factor dancing...no interest whatsoever.

Zara
12th-June-2007, 05:43 PM
My worst dances are with leads I feel are trying to catch me out. some smart arse guys think its great fun when you've messed up a move. They then slow it down and still expect you to carry on until you complete it :mad: rather than just leading you out. One particular guy did this to me recently, with a real patronising look on his face :angry: I would have just walked off the dancefloor but the annoying thing is Im not sure the man would have even realised what the problem is :confused:

Zara xxx

Red Lory
12th-June-2007, 06:48 PM
My worst dances are with leads I feel are trying to catch me out. some smart arse guys think its great fun when you've messed up a move. They then slow it down and still expect you to carry on until you complete it :mad: rather than just leading you out. One particular guy did this to me recently, with a real patronising look on his face :angry: I would have just walked off the dancefloor but the annoying thing is Im not sure the man would have even realised what the problem is :confused:

Zara xxx

Sounds like this bloke is madly in love with himself!

Clueless
12th-June-2007, 07:00 PM
I have seen people like this and when they are doing it slower I just think "oh man she's hating that abort, abort!!!"

but I have a chat with the girl/lady after the dance and say do you want to do the move and go through it slowly off the floor but they can say no if they don't want to do it!

Zara
12th-June-2007, 07:04 PM
I have seen people like this and when they are doing it slower I just think "oh man she's hating that abort, abort!!!"

:rofl: :yeah:

but I have a chat with the girl/lady after the dance and say do you want to do the move and go through it slowly off the floor but they can say no if they don't want to do it!

That is such a nicer way to do it :flower:

Lee Bartholomew
13th-June-2007, 09:54 AM
That is such a nicer way to do it :flower:

Think the best way to do it is not lead unleadable moves.

At least if you are going to lead gard or unleadable moves, have the ability to cover it up with something else if and when it goes wrong.

Not every dance or dancer is perfect though. :wink: :na:

Mezzosoprano
13th-June-2007, 04:36 PM
What do ladies want?

in order:

Chocolate - good expensive chocolate...

erm......

That's all really

OH... you meant in a dance...:whistle:

Smooth moves, no jerking, no boucing, and a little bit of smoulder please!:D

Ta!

littlewiggle
13th-June-2007, 10:20 PM
Hmmm perhaps we should start a contra poll with things we don't like......

Can I suggest people don't eat cheese and onion crisps just before dancing please? Yep, some do, trust me!

Double Trouble
14th-June-2007, 12:30 PM
Can I suggest people don't eat cheese and onion crisps just before dancing please? Yep, some do, trust me!

:yeah: Especially the old codgers at Cheshunt.:sick:

Cheese, Onion, Old Spice and wee. Not a great combination.:innocent:

Astro
14th-June-2007, 12:46 PM
Hmmm perhaps we should start a contra poll with things we don't like...... I'm sure there is one already, but we are always thinking up new stuff - poor blokes.

Yes, I'm a past nibbler of cheese and onion:what: - but recently I have switched to ready salted.
I worry I may get cramp, so always carry crisps, but then end up eating them.

Lee Bartholomew
14th-June-2007, 12:51 PM
Hmmm perhaps we should start a contra poll with things we don't like......

Saw someone at glouster freestyle last Sat eating Pickled Onion monster Munch!!!

Tryed to dance close to him in the hope that he would grab BlueEyes for a dance next, but she saw through my plan and refused to be lead in that direction.

Terpsichorea
14th-June-2007, 12:54 PM
Saw someone at glouster freestyle last Sat eating Pickled Onion monster Munch!!!

Tryed to dance close to him in the hope that he would grab BlueEyes for a dance next, but she saw through my plan and refused to be lead in that direction.

I asked a woman to dance a couple of weeks ago without spotting that she was polishing off a packet of smoky bacon crisps. She nodded, tipped the remains of the packet down her throat, carefully and lovingly licked each of her fingers before taking my hand. I am still haunted by her piggy aroma.

Astro
14th-June-2007, 01:00 PM

I asked a woman to dance a couple of weeks ago without spotting that she was polishing off a packet of smoky bacon crisps. She nodded, tipped the remains of the packet down her throat, carefully and lovingly licked each of her fingers before taking my hand. I am still haunted by her piggy aroma.

Does Ready Salted smell? :confused:
I once had a dance with Ghost with a mouth stuffed with Twirl chocolate.:drool:
He is so smooth, it was quite safe, no chance of choking.

Terpsichorea
14th-June-2007, 01:01 PM
Does Ready Salted smell? :confused:
I once had a dance with Ghost with a mouth stuffed with Twirl chocolate.:drool:
He is so smooth, it was quite safe, no chance of choking.

Ready Salted is OK - Pickled Onion is a bit stinky, as is Smoky Bacon. And Prawn Cocktail. But Cheese and Onion has to be the worst.

Astro
14th-June-2007, 01:05 PM
Ready Salted is OK - Pickled Onion is a bit stinky, as is Smoky Bacon. And Prawn Cocktail. But Cheese and Onion has to be the worst.

Now I know why some leads avoid me.:blush:
And I have berated Ashtons for not selling crisps. Duh

Terpsichorea
14th-June-2007, 01:16 PM
Now I know why some leads avoid me.:blush:

So long as you're sucking on a mint imperial, it doesn't matter. I always seem to have a knack of eating garlic bread/curry before going to freestyles. Perhaps I'm trying unconsciously to repel potential partners...

Astro
14th-June-2007, 01:27 PM
So long as you're sucking on a mint imperial, it doesn't matter. I always seem to have a knack of eating garlic bread/curry before going to freestyles. Perhaps I'm trying unconsciously to repel potential partners...

Or test them to see if your dancing is good enough for them to endure the smell. We've never danced, but we probably wouldn't smell each other, me with the onion, you with the garlic.

Well, I always avoid garlic and onions if I'm going dancing, but then to do all that then go and eat cheese and onion at the actual dance is plain stupid.

Sucking a mint imperial could be dangerous for a follow if she is dropped, dipped, presztelled etc., but probably ok for a lead.:D

Terpsichorea
14th-June-2007, 01:30 PM
Or test them to see if your dancing is good enough for them to endure the smell. We've never danced, but we probably wouldn't smell each other, me with the onion, you with the garlic.

Well, I always avoid garlic and onions if I'm going dancing, but then to do all that then go and eat cheese and onion at the actual dance is plain stupid.

Sucking a mint imperial could be dangerous for a follow if she is dropped, dipped, presztelled etc., but probably ok for a lead.:D

I am always very paranoid about having stinky breath and in consequence usually get through a tube of XXX Mints in one evening of freestyling. Though apparently, smells can exude through your pores when you sweat, so there's no escape :tears:

David Bailey
14th-June-2007, 02:19 PM
It's surprising that the little mini-bars sell sweets, crisps - but never mints. Or deodorants. Or flannels for that matter. I can't help thinking they're missing out on a franchising trick there :)

Lee Bartholomew
14th-June-2007, 02:21 PM

You would probley have a good area of the dance floor to yourselves too. :wink:

Double Trouble
14th-June-2007, 02:22 PM
So long as you're sucking on a mint imperial, it doesn't matter.

WRONG.....!

What about the greasy mits all over our hands, skin and clothes? Come on Terps, get with the program:rolleyes:

Double Trouble
14th-June-2007, 02:23 PM
It's surprising that the little mini-bars sell sweets, crisps - but never mints. Or deodorants. Or flannels for that matter. I can't help thinking they're missing out on a franchising trick there :)

:yeah: I'm agreeing with you far too much these days.:tears:

Terpsichorea
14th-June-2007, 02:26 PM
WRONG.....!

What about the greasy mits all over our hands, skin and clothes? Come on Terps, get with the program:rolleyes:

I've been accused of many dancing misdemeanours, but I've never laid oily paws on a lady...

Unless she specifically requested it. :D

Juju
14th-June-2007, 02:29 PM
Not terribly keen on men who chew gum - and noisily to boot - whilst dancing. Not keen on it at any time, in fact.

Terpsichorea
14th-June-2007, 02:29 PM
You would probley have a good area of the dance floor to yourselves too. :wink:

I once danced with a woman at Brig who, I'm pretty sure, kept guffing while we were dancing. I say this, because I know it wasn't me, and the smell persisted when we moved to another area of the dance floor. I tried to avoid anything which put pressure on her midsection, to avoid squeezing any more savoury aromas from her...

Lee Bartholomew
14th-June-2007, 02:33 PM
I once danced with a woman at Brig who, I'm pretty sure, kept guffing while we were dancing. I say this, because I know it wasn't me, and the smell persisted when we moved to another area of the dance floor. I tried to avoid anything which put pressure on her midsection, to avoid squeezing any more savoury aromas from her...

Did you anounce that it was her very loudy?

Could have been DTS, he farts and walks off.

Juju
14th-June-2007, 02:35 PM
My worst dances are with leads I feel are trying to catch me out. some smart arse guys think its great fun when you've messed up a move.

Oh, yes. Thankfully such smug £*&%"!s are few and far between.

Most men are very nice, although, occasionally, you can tell they're just being nice... :tears:

Terpsichorea
14th-June-2007, 02:36 PM
Did you anounce that it was her very loudy?

Could have been DTS, he farts and walks off.

I was too much of a gentleman to run off the dance floor gagging, and holding my nose. :wink:

David Bailey
14th-June-2007, 02:40 PM
:yeah: I'm agreeing with you far too much these days.:tears:
It's a sign that you're seeing The Right Side Of Things is all :)

Double Trouble
14th-June-2007, 02:45 PM
It's a sign that you're seeing The Right Side Of Things is all :)

Maybe you are getting closer to the dark side:devil:

I feel a ban coming on (DJ not me):D

Trouble
14th-June-2007, 03:08 PM
I was too much of a gentleman to run off the dance floor gagging, and holding my nose. :wink:

you could have tried the ouch somebody just trod on my foot, need to sit down, get out if the dance plan.!!!

rubyred
15th-June-2007, 07:26 PM
To have fun,to laugh when something doesn't go right, appreciation,to be challenged, eye contact, to be able to add my own bit of magic, to dance with someone who allows me to dance also and not just lead me into one move after another,to share in the musicality, to be lead with passion and attitude and most of all to enjoy dancing with me :flower: .

Not much really:rolleyes:

Mini Mac
16th-June-2007, 11:05 AM
I think i would like someone to be a good leader, (which i do get luckily!:waycool: ), someone who doesnt boss you about:sad: (its a dance already, a bit of fun no need to take it so seriously) and i like it when the dancers are sober (its dreadful when u dance with a drunk guy and you can smell the beer on him YUCK!:angry: and i really love it when its a catchy tune so the next time it comes on your reminded of a good dance!

Miguel
16th-June-2007, 03:28 PM
What women want from men! (http://www.dancedancedance.com/whtwomen.htm)