PDA

View Full Version : Scottish Championships ????????

Heather
29th-June-2002, 09:36 AM
There has been lots of references to this subject over the past few months in various threads, and when I went to write something I couldn't find the last reference. Hence this new thread!!!!
Well, is it on or off ?:confused: There has been lots of positive feedback and people seem keen, so whassup??????
We were told first of all that something would be announced after the Champs in London, nothing was!! Then it was to be announced after the Viktor and Lydia, again nothing was.
I am not getting at Scot and Franck, as I do realise that something like this takes loads of organisation and hitches are bound to occur, but a regular update on progress (if any)would be helpful!!. There are lots of people dead keen, and it would be a pity to dampen enthusiasm, I don't think people are expecting the Fantastic Extravaganza on the scale of the London event, but it would be nice to have something!!!
The sooner we are informed the sooner we can all get practising !!!!!:D :D Wating in anticipation!!!!

:cheers:
P.S My alter ego Miss Bossy says " Just get on with it or else !!!!!!"

Scot
1st-July-2002, 09:47 AM
Well MS Bossy far be it for me not to give you a response

The Scottish Champs are booked for 20th of October.

As you may know we are doing this as a Charity event for the Red Cross who I met on Friday to arrange all the peripheral stuff required for this type of event eg Equipment, Food, Cloakroom staff, Bar, Door staff, Advertising, Prizes etc etc.

Until all this was confirmed I could not get the promotional material out. However it should be out shortly.

Kind Regards

Scot

John S
2nd-July-2002, 09:47 PM
Excellent, Scot - and now we know that if there are any accidents on the day (see the thread about this) we'll get expert attention!

Lydia
3rd-July-2002, 01:37 PM
HELLOOOO..HOW IS EVERYBODY?

I think Scottish Champs are a brilliant idea!!
Is there going to be BIG advertising about it (could have a big picture of Scot in his kilt! :D ) and will Ceroc London contribute to the avertising at their own London venues? :devil:

Viktor & I might even pop up for the fun..not competing though..just for the support and some good dancing :grin: .

Love xxx

Bill
9th-July-2002, 09:53 AM
I assume that the Scottish Champs are on a Sunday because of lack of venues :confused:

I've already spoken to a couple of folk form England who might not make it because it's being held on a Sunday. Was it not possible to get a venue for the Saturday night ??

I'll be teaching in Aberdeen at 8.30 on the Monday morning so it's unlikely that I'll make it either even just to watch everyone. Not so bad for those folk living in and around Edinburgh but I would have thought that potential participants from further afield might have problems getting here for a Sunday event.

But maybe it's just me:what:

Hope it all goes well anyway.........especially if it's for charity:D

Franck
11th-July-2002, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Lydia
Viktor & I might even pop up for the fun..not competing though..just for the support and some good dancing :grin: .Great news, Lydia, I hope you can both make it... Indeed, judging by the response so far from the few people I spoke to (from down South :) ) the Scottish Champs will be very popular.

Bill, I take you point about having to work on the Monday, but unfortunately, as you noted, few suitable venues are available on a Saturday :sad:

It is even possible for anyone from London to fly back on the Monday morning and still be on time for work and for about £50... Not bad for a great week-end in Scotland.
Take a look at the British Midland website (http://www.flybmi.com/)

OUT: Saturday 19th October 2002 _London - Heathrow >_Edinburgh
_ web fare normal fare __departs __arrives

BD050: £_11.50 GBP £_14.00 GBP 06:35 07:50
BD052: £_42.50 GBP £_45.00 GBP 08:35 09:50
BD054: £_32.50 GBP £_35.00 GBP 10:40 12:00
BD056: £_32.50 GBP £_35.00 GBP 12:50 14:10
BD058: £_11.50 GBP £_14.00 GBP 14:25 15:45
BD060: £_11.50 GBP £_14.00 GBP 16:45 18:00
BD064: £_11.50 GBP £_14.00 GBP 20:45 22:00

RETURN: Monday 21st October 2002 _Edinburgh >_London - Heathrow

BD051: £_32.50 GBP £_35.00 GBP 06:30 08:05
BD053: £_32.50 GBP £_35.00 GBP 08:30 10:00
BD055: £_32.50 GBP £_35.00 GBP 10:35 12:05
BD067: £_32.50 GBP £_35.00 GBP 11:30 12:50
BD057: £_32.50 GBP £_35.00 GBP 12:45 14:10
BD059: £_11.50 GBP £_14.00 GBP 14:55 16:15
BD061: £_32.50 GBP £_35.00 GBP 16:35 18:00
BD063: £_32.50 GBP £_35.00 GBP 18:40 20:00
BD065: £_11.50 GBP £_14.00 GBP 20:50 22:05

Gus
11th-July-2002, 02:24 PM
As Bill says, the flesh may be willing but some of us Southerners may have problems in getting back to work on the Monday.

The main contingents North of London will be based round Manchester and Birmingham. Can you suggest the best flight operators in and out? It would be a great pity to miss the event.

Franck
11th-July-2002, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by Gus
As Bill says, the flesh may be willing but some of us Southerners may have problems in getting back to work on the Monday.

The main contingents North of London will be based round Manchester and Birmingham. Can you suggest the best flight operators in and out? It would be a great pity to miss the event. Well the mind and flesh can survive an early start on the Monday... There are loads of flights early morning on the Monday.

Here are a few from British Midland again (from east Midland airport:

OUT: Saturday 19th October 2002 _East Midlands >_Edinburgh

BD213: £_18.50 GBP £_21.00 GBP 07:05 08:05

RETURN: Monday 21st October 2002 _Edinburgh >_East Midlands

BD214: £_18.50 GBP £_21.00 GBP 08:15 09:15
BD216: £_4.50 GBP £_7.00 GBP 10:20 11:20

Very cheap! and you could be in the office by 9.30!

More from Manchester:

OUT: Saturday 19th October 2002 _Manchester >_Edinburgh
BD381: £_12.50 GBP £_15.00 GBP 10:30 11:25

RETURN: Monday 21st October 2002 _Edinburgh >_Manchester
BD380: £_107.50 GBP £_110.00 GBP 06:45 07:45
BD382: £_12.50 GBP £_15.00 GBP 09:40 10:35

And more yet (from easyjet.com): Luton to Edinburgh:

OUTBOUND
Saturday 19 October, flight 31
departs London Luton at 09:20, arrives Edinburgh at 10:35
web fare 30.40 GBP (phone fare 32.90 GBP)
Saturday 19 October, flight 35
departs London Luton at 12:20, arrives Edinburgh at 13:40
web fare 30.40 GBP (phone fare 32.90 GBP)
Saturday 19 October, flight 37
departs London Luton at 20:00, arrives Edinburgh at 21:15
web fare 25.40 GBP (phone fare 27.90 GBP)

RETURN
Monday 21 October, flight 12
departs Edinburgh at 06:20, arrives London Luton at 07:40
web fare 10.90 GBP (phone fare 13.40 GBP)
Monday 21 October, flight 14
departs Edinburgh at 07:55, arrives London Luton at 09:15
Monday 21 October, flight 16
departs Edinburgh at 09:40, arrives London Luton at 11:00
Monday 21 October, flight 18
departs Edinburgh at 13:05, arrives London Luton at 14:20
web fare 20.90 GBP (phone fare 23.40 GBP)

Franck.

Tiggerbabe
11th-July-2002, 06:58 PM
:tears: :tears: Well Bill, that's what happens when you have a job that allows you nearly 2 months off in the summer - you loose the right to have the odd Monday off when you feel like it.:sad:

Seriously I hope you do decide to come, we would all miss you. Surely there must be an early morning train to Aberdeen?
Can't you help Franck, you seem to be the man with the timetables:wink:

Bill
12th-July-2002, 05:25 PM
Thanks for the sympathy re my holidays Sheena:p

Ok....Ok so I get 6 weeks at summer but hey, it's just soooooooooooooostressful being in education:what: and while Franck might have all day to play about :D some of us have no choice but to be at work at 8.30 am ! and we're meant to be on time Franck !!!!!:wink:

What would have made the Champs even better...maybe an idea for the future is the Blackpool style where it's a whole weekend rather than just one afternoon/evening. More arranging I know but it can make it a weekend event and a chance to meet everyone and dance in and out of competition.

Ah well, I'm sure it'll go well and as it's 14 weeks on Sunday the literature and all the info should be out soon........won't they Scot/Franck ????

John S
12th-July-2002, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by Gus

The main contingents North of London will be based round Manchester and Birmingham. Can you suggest the best flight operators in and out? It would be a great pity to miss the event.

You could also try British European on www.flybe.com - they fly between Birmingham and Edinburgh/Glasgow for very good rates - I flew from Edinburgh to Birmingham last week for £39. (They also fly from London City in a joint arrangement with Scot Airways, for any readers in that area.)

There's also GO from Stansted, and even good old BA are doing cheap flights now if you book early enough.

And Manchester's less than 4 hours away by car, so it's definitely do-able.

And as for Bill worried that he can't get to Aberdeen for 8.30 in the morning - well, why not stay north of the Forth after the event and get up early in the morning - Aberdeen's only 2 hours away, for goodness sake!

filthycute
13th-July-2002, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by bill foreman
What would have made the Champs even better...maybe an idea for the future is the Blackpool style where it's a whole weekend rather than just one afternoon/evening. More arranging I know but it can make it a weekend event and a chance to meet everyone and dance in and out of competition.

I completely agree with you Bill. Although i didn't compete in London i did feel a bit sorry for you lot.....especially with all the changes for different categories :sick: Because the competition never finished till so late it didn't really give the competitors much time to relax and enjoy the day/evening. I went to a line dance comp...just spectating.....and they spaced it out over the weekend. Most of the competitions were during the day..freeing up the evenings for a good old boogie :D
Maybe if we pester them enough we can get them round to our way of thinking :wink: :yum:

filthycute x x

Bill
15th-July-2002, 10:16 AM
Gee thanks for that idea John !!!!!!!!!!!!:p

I'm afraid I'm a man who needs his sleep ! Getting to bed well after 1.00 and having to get up before 6.00 doesn't appeal:sick:

I look bad enough after a good night's sleep as it is......I don't want to scare off all my students:grin:

Anyway, I assume you'll be going to the Champs............got your outfit yet???:wink:

Well that's me off on hols for 2 weeks so have fun and I can look forward to a week in the sun followed by another Viktor and Lydia workshop and a great night in Stockport..............can't wait.

John S
15th-July-2002, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by bill foreman

Well that's me off on hols for 2 weeks so have fun and I can look forward to a week in the sun followed by another Viktor and Lydia workshop and a great night in Stockport..............can't wait.

Enjoy your hols, Bill - you'll be missed at the Champs - are you sure you don't feel the very early symptoms of a Monday morning severe cold??? (hopefully your manager isn't reading this!):cool:

Gus
16th-July-2002, 02:09 PM
So ... enough of this converstaion re travel requirements...

lets get into the real debate ... the rules!

What are your views on the following;

1. Should teachers be allowed to compete (fancy taking on Scott or Viktor?)

2. Should blatent choreography in freestyle lead to disqualification ? :reallymad

3. Should double trouble be totaly freestyle or choreographed (Bill, what do you think? Watched the vid of Blackpool ... very slinky!)

4. How do you categorise who is eligible for the Intermediate category?

5. Should mini-airsteps and/or drops be scoring moves?

6. Should dancers with the surname Foreman and the first name Bill be forced to compete wearing only a tutu?

Comments?

DavidB
16th-July-2002, 04:43 PM
I understand and agree with the idea of keeping rules to a minimum. But some rules are inevitable. It would help to know what categories are planned...

1. Should teachers be allowed to compete?
I hope so. You want to attract the best dancers, and some of those are teachers. But I can understand that it could put people off entering. You can either allow them to only enter certain categories, or have a separate teachers only category. I prefer the first option - too many categories makes a long day even longer, and I honestly don't think there is any difference in standard between most teachers and other good dancers.

- 'Showcase' should be completely open - it is usually the category that teachers enter. But how about an additional prize for the best placed non-teachers.
- 'Dance with a stranger' should be open, but there should be some way of stopping two teachers dancing together.
- 'Freestyle' beginners and intermediate should obviously not allow teachers. The advanced should.

If the organisers decide not to allow teachers to enter the normal divisions, then there should be extra divisions for teachers only. Edinburgh is a long way to go just to watch.

(And what is a teacher? Is it someone who teaches every week? Once a month? Anytime this year? Or anyone who has ever taught a class in their life.)

2. Should blatent choreography in freestyle lead to disqualification?
A whole choreographed routine shouldn't be a disqualification - you should just get marked last (after all - you haven't done anything that can be judged.) But some choreographed elements should be ok (I'm thinking of some of the Lindy-style kicks.)

3. Should double trouble be totaly freestyle or choreographed
It should be freestyle, but I think you need to give the competitors a bit more leeway than you would with normal couples.

Someone who has been to more than 10 lessons?

If you dance into and out of a drop without interrupting your normal dance timing, they should be seen as just another step. Personally if I saw someone doing more than a couple of drops, I'd lose interest and mark them down. If they were dangerous, I'd disqualify them.
Airsteps should only be allowed in an aerials competition.
(If you have any rules saying what an aerial or a drop is, there should be a judge available at the competitors meeting to tell couples what is ok.)

6. Should dancers with the surname Foreman and the first name Bill be forced to compete wearing only a tutu?
Only if dancers called Gus from Altrincham turn up dressed as a Morris Dancer.

Can someone recommend any hotels near the hall where people could stay?
And is there anything to do on the Saturday night?

David

Gus
16th-July-2002, 04:56 PM
(And what is a teacher? Is it someone who teaches every week? Once a month? Anytime this year? Or anyone who has ever taught a class in their life.) Good point ... at least one of the competitors at the Ceroc champs (which is supposed to be closed to teachers) has previously taught a workshop ..... does that make him a teacher?

I have another friend who runs a simple beginners class at his freestyle events that considered that in itself made him ineligible to compete. There does need to be a clear definition.
I honestly don't think there is any difference in standard between most teachers and other good dancers. Totaly agree. I think Viktor and Lydia are the exception. Other than them there are some non-teachers who are well ahead of most teachers I know, e.g. the current Open Jive Champs Clayton and Janine.

John S
17th-July-2002, 01:39 AM
Leaving aside the niceties of eligibility and rules, there still seems to be only a low level of awareness of the event among regular Ceroc dancers in Scotland - hopefully there will be a blaze of publicity once the holiday season is over, as some folk like/need to plan ahead.

Also, a lot of people I have spoken to assume that because the event is titled "Championships", it won't really be of much concern to the average "intermediate" dancer, so they don't bother putting in their diaries anyway. Now I know that if it's anything like London or Blackpool there will be lots of opportunities to dance anyway, or maybe to get very lucky in the Lucky Dip and be paired with a superb dancer, but that message will have to be got across somehow in the publicity and in the way the Ceroc teachers present it at the weekly classes.

Anyway, good luck to Franck, Scot & co :cheers: - it isn't easy to organise something like this for the first time and it's easy to stand in the wings and make these comments while someone else is doing the work, so even if none of my suggestions is acted on at least the date's in my diary! :)

SwingSwingSwing
17th-July-2002, 09:45 AM
1. Should teachers be allowed to compete?
Most definitely. I don't see why teachers should be restricted to Showcase. If they want to compete in Freestyle, let them bring it on. I'm sure the audience want to see the best dancers around and if those dancers just happen to be teachers then they should be allowed to compete. Agreeing with DavidB here, they should be not allowed to enter Intermediate which then opens up the "what is a teacher" can of worms.

2. Should blatent choreography in freestyle lead to disqualification ?
What is Choreography? How do you define it within a Modern Jive competition setting? If anyone does a fully choreographed routine in a Freestlye event, good luck to them! It would be hard to pull the wool over the judges eyes, I reckon. I wouldn't disqualify them, just mark them down.

On the choreographed elements idea, if they are "breakaway" elements done with no contact with a partner then I'm not sure they should be allowed in a Modern Jive contest. In a Lindy contest I'd probably allow the "standard" choreographed stuff but I don't think breakaway elements have a place in Modern Jive. Again, mark them down.

3. Should double trouble be totaly freestyle or choreographed?
Freestyle. I was at Blackpool (not this year but last) and lot of the double trouble looked choreographed. Put me right off.

This is an interesting one. The problem here is not beginners entering Intermediate. If they are indeed beginners then the judging system will recognise that. The problem here is the intermediate/advanced divide. When I was at Blackpool, I distinctly remember seeing Donna van Roose (see Dance Style Progession (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=125) thread ) and her partner warming up I thought that they were advanced dancers. Imagine my surprise when they appear in the same heat of Intermediate Freestyle as my partner and I. Looking back at the video I still think the same, they were advanced dancers. (And it's not just sour grapes 'cos they got second and we didn't even get past the first round! :wink: ). Unfortunately, I don't think there is any solution for this one, except having one big category for everybody.

Drops - No. There are already far to many drops done in competition Freestyle events.
Mini aerials - depends on the focus of the cateogry. If the category is judging social dance skills then mini-airsteps shouldn't even be allowed, let alone given extra marks.

Most definitely. But I would add compulsory red high heels, no tights and ban him from shaving his legs two months prior to contest.
:D

SwingSwingSwing

DavidB
17th-July-2002, 11:43 AM
Eligibility for Categories

You have categories to group dancers of a similar standard together. Then no-one feels out of place, and everyone has a chance of winning. This is how other dance competitions sort out what category you are at (or at least used to when I competed).

In Ballroom competitions, you have several different categories - Beginners, Novice, Intermediate, Pre-Championship, Amateur and Professional. For the lower categories , if you win a competition at a particular category, and there are more than 3 couples entered, and it is not a heat for a larger competition, you cannot compete at a lower category. (i.e. if you win a Pre-champ competition, you can't enter again as an Intermediate.) This does make you move up, as it is normal to dance at two categories on the same day. If you teach you are a professional - no question about it. I think Amateurs are allowed to give demos, and maybe help out in classes, without losing their status.

In West Coast Swing competitions, the Showcase and Classic (ie showcase without lifts) are open to anyone. Strictly Swing (freestyle) is also open to anyone, but it is an unwritten rule that the top couples will not compete as a couple - they will find a different partner. Jack and Jill (Dance with a stranger) is the big competition for most dancers. They have a points system based on previous results, and the category you compete at is based on these points. They usually have Novice, Intermediate and Advanced. They also have a Championship or Invitational category which is for anyone who has won a top competition. (This is usually one of the highlights of the competition.)

Obviously you wouldn't want to do anything as complicated as this. Both Ballroom and WCS have competitions every week, with uniform rules, qualified judges, and enough competitors to make it worth-while. With only 2 national competitions, and 4 in total, modern jive is not very competitive by nature, and this would be overkill. But you can take the basic idea - if you have done well at one category, you should move up and give someone else a chance. I would say that anyone who has finished in the top 3 in any competition should have to move up to the next category.

Alternatively you could consider having a separate category for teachers and past winners. It would encourage 'advanced' dancers to enter the advanced category, and not the intermediate.

I still like the idea of only one category for Dance With A Stranger. Although, as I have said before, I think you should change partners to really make it Dance With A Stranger.

David

Heather
17th-July-2002, 09:25 PM
How about a new category altogether ( This is a new Competition so you have the chance to break with all traditions and previous formats).
I suggest a" Dance with your friend ". competition, where people can dabnce with their friend ie. boys dance with boys and girls dance with girls. There are lots of women in Scottish venues anyway, who danmce the man's part( probably to avoid a "move 14 ladies on "situation.) Why not include this as a 'Fun" competition. I am sure there are lots of guys who are just desperate for an excuse to slip into those high-heelers!!!!!!!
Bill??? (Don't you have a red pair?)
:wink: :wink:

Heather
17th-July-2002, 09:27 PM
:sorry :sorry :sorry I can spell honestly, It's just this Greek keyboard!!!!!!!!

JMW
17th-July-2002, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by Heather
I suggest a" Dance with your friend ". competition, where people can dance with their friend ie. boys dance with boys and girls dance with girls.

You gotta be joking!!!!!!!! I'd rather go ten rounds with Lenox Lewis.

James.

John S
18th-July-2002, 02:30 AM

I suggest a" Dance with your friend ". competition, where people can dance with their friend ie. boys dance with boys and girls dance with girls. I think it must have been an exceptionally sunny day, Heather, or else the ouzo's going to your head!

As you well know, I'm not backward at coming forward when there's a fancy dress night, and I don't baulk at a bit of cross-dressing either, but I can't see there being many takers for this idea - but I could be wrong.

Having done a bit of same-sex dancing at fun nights, and having had to do a seducer move with a very sweaty man (probably scared I dropped him - I could smell the fear) it's not something I want to do very often.

Of course, even if there isn't a separate category, there's nothing to stop a same-sex couple entering. And having seen the wonderful "Milk Tray Boys" at Blackpool competing with the rest of us boring mixed-sex couples, maybe you've hit on something. But then you are on holiday in Lesbos ...........:D :D

Heather
18th-July-2002, 09:15 PM
:what: I hope you are not insinuating anything John!!!!!
I only suggested this as a fun competition!!!!!! In my humble opinion, there are a lot of lady dancers( Sheena -Little Miss Late and Denise from Edinburgh to name but 2 who are far better dancers than a lot of the men!!!!!) Of course YOU are not included in that !!!!! I 'd love to see some of the men try to 'Follow the lead " it would be VERY interesting!!! And I think it would be obvious whether they could really follow or lead!!!!!!
:wink: :wink: :wink:
By the way, Ouzo has never passed my lips!!!!!!!
Miss you all, See you in Marco's on the 27th.
Hoping to make up for 3weeks worth of missed dancing!!!!!
:cheers: Miss Bossy

Gus
18th-July-2002, 09:31 PM
I suggest a" Dance with your friend ". competition, where people can dance with their friend ie. boys dance with boys and girls dance with girls. There are lots of women in Scottish venues anyway, who danmce the man's part I'd suggest that you don't need a new category ... under current rules there is nothing to stop same sex couples competing already. At blackpool there was an all female couple and the Milk Tray boys ... and both couples were among the best competing

...... UNLESS, Heather, the rumours are true and you have a voyeuristic interest in such a spectacle??:tears:

PS .... you're on holiday and STILL getting on the internet to surf ??? SAD

Gus
19th-July-2002, 02:39 PM
Time for controvesy beckons......:devil:

Heard much about the prowess of your Ceroc Championship Team ... but I've only seen Scott and Bill dancing. Do the Scots have the dancers to show the Southern Jessies how to dance?:tears:

Please ... be gentle with your responses....

Tiggerbabe
19th-July-2002, 08:30 PM
:tears: :tears: And it was all going so well until (in a spontaneous role-swapping moment ) I tried to lead a man into a pretzel - Oh me miserum!
Methinks I will give up trying to be bloke:what: :what:
Well, definitely if I've got a bloke trying to be a girl.

If anyone knows the Milk Tray boys please try and pursuade them to come up as they were brilliant in Blackpool and I would love to get the chance to dance with the other one - it's ok he will know who he is (well he probably won't, truth be told:tears: :tears: :tears: ). I did manage to get a couple of dances in the freestyle with one of them and it was such fun (beautifully lead too:yum: )

Re showing you "Jessie's" how to dance - time will tell.................but we'll all have fun trying, that's for sure!

Hope you and David B have t-shirts with your names on - we'll all be looking for you:cheers:

Tiggerbabe
19th-July-2002, 08:32 PM
Actually, in my defence- HE is over 6ft tall and I'm not:sorry

SwingSwingSwing
19th-July-2002, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by Sheena
Methinks I will give up trying to be blokeSheena,

Don't give up leading! I'm not a great follow (in fact, I'm rubbish :tears: ) When Ruth signals a Pretzel my mind goes a complete blank and I end up making a total mess of it. I've no idea how you girls do it!

SwingSwingSwing

Gus
21st-July-2002, 07:44 PM
Re showing you "Jessie's" how to dance - time will tell.................but we'll all have fun trying, that's for sure!

Hope you and David B have t-shirts with your names on - we'll all be looking for you:cheers: DaveB needs no shirt ... he's a fairly strapping young lad ... bout 6' 3" and of strong build???

Me .. I'm keeping a low profile .... unless I sucumb to wearing my infamous orange trousers ....

Bit of a problem, my dance partner doesn't think she's free the weekend of the champs so I've got no-one to compete with ... unless there are any spare lassess who would take pity on me and like to compete with a Southern Jessie!

filthycute
21st-July-2002, 08:20 PM
How about a new category altogether ( This is a new Competition so you have the chance to break with all traditions and previous formats).
I suggest a" Dance with your friend ". competition, where people can dabnce with their friend ie. boys dance with boys and girls dance with girls. There are lots of women in Scottish venues anyway, who danmce the man's part( probably to avoid a "move 14 ladies on "situation.) Why not include this as a 'Fun" competition. I am sure there are lots of guys who are just desperate for an excuse to slip into those high-heelers!!!!!!!
Bill??? (Don't you have a red pair?)
:wink: :wink:

They actually hold these kinda competitions in Line dancing all the time :D I think they're called Jack and Jill. They do go to more extremes than i think you were suggesting though Heather......They have 2 guys dancing, but one of them has to dress as a girl :sick: :yum: As you can see here demonstrated by the Lovely Brian 'B' :D

Now wouldn't that making a talking point? :really:

filthycute x x

DavidB
21st-July-2002, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by Gus
DaveB needs no shirt ... Believe me - you don't want to see me without a shirt - not unless I lose about 15 pounds before October!

Originally posted by filthycute
I think they're called Jack and Jill. 'Jack and Jill' is the American version of Dance with a Stranger. 'Jill and Jill' is what you get when the ladies are fed up of waiting. But 'Jack and Jack' and 'Jill and Jack' are the embarrasing versions.

David

Jayne
22nd-July-2002, 09:23 AM
:tears: :tears: And it was all going so well until (in a spontaneous role-swapping moment ) I tried to lead a man into a pretzel - Oh me miserum!

I too suffer from this, but sadly I'm not as advanced as doing a pretzel as a bloke yet... I find that once I've done the beginner's class as a bloke the first freestyle session is difficult because I haven't got the knack of just switching off the need to lead... I guess I just need more practice... :innocent:

Jayne :wink:

Janet
22nd-July-2002, 01:11 PM
... unless there are any spare lassess who would take pity on me and like to compete with a Southern Jessie!

Careful, Gus. You have NO idea what you might be letting yourself in for!!! :really: :yum:

Janet

Gus
22nd-July-2002, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Janet

Careful, Gus. You have NO idea what you might be letting yourself in for!!! :really: :yum:

Janet

My motto (well at least one of them) is "live fast, die young .... SO BRING IT ON!" I'm sure that the dark tales that Bill tells of you girlies are only Celtic tales designed to scare us Southerners to stay on the wrong side of Hadrians wall. What could there possibly be to fear from such sweet, innocent, mild mannered ladies?????

John S
23rd-July-2002, 01:49 AM
Well, definitely if I've got a bloke trying to be a girl.

I agree with Heather's earlier comment - there are some brill lady dancers who are far better than the men, myself definitely included.

So, Sheena - your mission, if you wish to accept it, is to practice your leading on me - I promise to be submissive and will at least attempt to do your bidding.

If anyone knows the Milk Tray boys please try and pursuade them to come up as they were brilliant in Blackpool and I would love to get the chance to dance with the other one - it's ok he will know who he is (well he probably won't, truth be told:tears: :tears: :tears: ). I did manage to get a couple of dances in the freestyle with one of them and it was such fun (beautifully lead too:yum: )

I know what you mean - Andy (the one without the tattoos) was at the Pwllheli Dance weekend in May and Marion danced with him - somehow my subsequent efforts kind of lost their impact on her. :tears:

Tiggerbabe
23rd-July-2002, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by John S

So, Sheena - your mission, if you wish to accept it, is to practice your leading on me - I promise to be submissive and will at least attempt to do your bidding.

Now John, you know I can't refuse such an offer. I always wanted to be a cerocer with a mission!!!!!!!!!!!! Am I allowed to seduce you ( at least when Marion is not watching).

I know what you mean - Andy (the one without the tattoos) was at the Pwllheli Dance weekend in May and Marion danced with him - somehow my subsequent efforts kind of lost their impact on her. :tears:

Is he the elder of the two (not as old as YOU but over 21 if you know what I mean)? If yes, then forgive her - he's a marvellous dancer - but who did she go home with?:wink: :wink: :wink: :D :

Tiggerbabe
23rd-July-2002, 09:37 PM
Right Bill - in a totally "un-Jade-like" moment, it came to me - the answer to your lack of sleep dilemma:D

You could leave early!:wink: :what:

Brilliant, isn't it?:D :D

John S
23rd-July-2002, 11:33 PM
Now John, you know I can't refuse such an offer. I always wanted to be a cerocer with a mission!!!!!!!!!!!! Am I allowed to seduce you ( at least when Marion is not watching).

What - again? Oh, all right then. :devil:

Is he the elder of the two (not as old as YOU but over 21 if you know what I mean)? If yes, then forgive her - he's a marvellous dancer - but who did she go home with?:wink: :wink: :wink: :D :

1. Yes

2. I don't know.:sad:
(Hope she doesn't read this, or I'm in d-e-e-p trouble!!!) :sorry

Gus
24th-July-2002, 01:47 PM
Trying to bring the thread away for inneundo re seduvers etc.

Re the Champs ... how do you think Scotland will fare? Have many of the Scotties done much competetion work before ... any closet stars to watch out for, aside from your all conquering display team?

Tiggerbabe
25th-July-2002, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by Gus
Trying to bring the thread away for inneundo re seduvers etc.

Re the Champs ... how do you think Scotland will fare? Have many of the Scotties done much competetion work before ... any closet stars to watch out for, aside from your all conquering display team? ok Gus, you got me! Whats a seduver?

Well, there's Bill and Fran obviously - Bill, Laura and Lisa in the double trouble as well as Scot, Elaine and Shona - Elsie from Edinburgh is just brill! Melanie from Dundee is a fab dancer too but I've no idea who she will be dancing with (FC to the rest of you!)

There are a few really good dancers up here who do not like competitions ( Brian and the lovely Roy to name but two) so although, I'm sure, they'll be around for the freestyle they won't be competing.

Gus
25th-July-2002, 11:21 PM

ok Gus, you got me! Whats a seduver?

Wait till I've had a few Becks and then I'll show you .. my dancing gets as bad as my spelling!

Well, there's Bill and Fran obviously - Bill, Laura and Lisa in the double trouble as well as Scot, Elaine and Shona - Elsie from Edinburgh is just brill! Melanie from Dundee is a fab dancer too but I've no idea who she will be dancing with (FC to the rest of you!)

Is it fair to say you suffer from the same problem as us ... loads of good female dancers and not enough good male dancers to 'satisfy' them?:wink:

John S
26th-July-2002, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Gus

Is it fair to say you suffer from the same problem as us ... loads of good female dancers and not enough good male dancers to 'satisfy' them?:wink:

I think that's probably a fair comment :( :( although I do worry a bit about the whole dance thing becoming over-competitive - fun and enjoyment should be the main aim (speaking of course as someone who knows his limitations when it comes to competitive standards!!!)

(Not specifically about the Championships, but perhaps related to Gus' comment):

It's always the case that a really good male lead can bring out the best in the lady he is dancing with, and she'll even raise her game to keep up with him, executing moves she didn't even know she could do, and feeling really great at the end of the dance.

However, if the lady is a lot better than her male lead, then the opposite doesn't often happen - instead the guy's insecurities take over and he's scared to try anything that might go wrong - result: an endless succession of Yo-yos and First Moves. (Or is that just me???? :sorry )

DavidB
26th-July-2002, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Gus
loads of good female dancers and not enough good male dancers to 'satisfy' them?So why not have a leading workshop to try and improve the standard of the men that you already have.

The main reason that most men don't lead well is because they don't know any different. They have never been taught anything about leading. They have to guess what to do by watching the teacher, or more likely the person standing next to them in a class. And it is really easy to lead badly.

The only problem you would have is that most men probably think they are good at leading, so would never go to a workshop. You might have to offer some incentive to go, like a discount on a freestyle night, or a free drink...

David

Emma
27th-July-2002, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by John S

It's always the case that a really good male lead can bring out the best in the lady he is dancing with, and she'll even raise her game to keep up with him, executing moves she didn't even know she could do, and feeling really great at the end of the dance.

However, if the lady is a lot better than her male lead, then the opposite doesn't often happen - instead the guy's insecurities take over and he's scared to try anything that might go wrong - result: an endless succession of Yo-yos and First Moves. (Or is that just me???? :sorry )

Surely that happens both ways around.. sometimes when I dance with someone who is much better than me I get really nervous and dance badly - and then the yoy-yos and first moves kick in - I assume because the guy I'm dancing with has taken pity on inexperienced me and lowered his game....:what: :nice:

Gus
1st-August-2002, 08:36 PM

I'll leave him to you Gus- if he's at the Scottish Competition.
(Scot informs me we are not allowed to call it a Championship on orders from Ceroc HQ!!!!)

So what the h*ll are you supposed to call it????:reallymad

A competitive get together????

The thought does occur that Ceroc HQ is in London and there are an awfull lot of miles between them and Hadrians wall etc. What are they going to do ... stamp their feet and hold their breath till they go blue???

John McAulay
2nd-August-2002, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by Gus
So what the h*ll are you supposed to call it????:reallymad

A competitive get together????

The thought does occur that Ceroc HQ is in London and there are an awfull lot of miles between them and Hadrians wall etc. What are they going to do ... stamp their feet and hold their breath till they go blue??? B******s to them!

Scottish Championship it is and alway will be,
no matter what some jumped up little squirt in englandshire thinks!

As long as the ceroc public see it as the scottish championships it won't matter what the ceroc company call it!

Regards:waycool:

DavidB
2nd-August-2002, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by John McAulay
no matter what some jumped up little squirt in englandshire thinks!I can see it being called the 'Braveheart Competition' at this rate.

David

Gus
2nd-August-2002, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by DavidB
I can see it being called the 'Braveheart Competition' at this rate.

David

The thought of hundreds of Scottish cerocers, dressed in kilts and war paint, descending as a screaming mob on Ceroc HQ has a certain attraction. Can I sell tickets ... I think it could be a winner!

John McAulay
2nd-August-2002, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by DavidB
I can see it being called the 'Braveheart Competition' at this rate.

David

Far from it, all are welcome and will be received with open arms

But!

when you visit someone's home, you dont have the right to make up the rules.

Regards:waycool:

DavidB
2nd-August-2002, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by John McAulay
when you visit someone's home, you dont have the right to make up the rules.We English never make up the rules. We just interpret the existing rules as we see fit...

David

Gus
2nd-August-2002, 11:15 AM
To be fair to Ceroc HQ (and this is probably the first and last time I will be) I can see their point. They hold what they deem to be the UK Championships ... despite the fact its held in one small corner of it, well away from most Ceroc clubs and many of the best dancers (i.e. teachers) aren't allowed to enter.

They are probably trying to avoid a plethora of 'Chapionships' sprouting up ... in a bid to make their 'Championship' attain more kudos. At the moment ther is (after the demise of the original Championships, the LeJive ones) three, the Open Champs (Blackpool), Ceroc and the rather inferior LeRoc champs (Bristol).

I don't think that the Scottish champs has any paticular intent to compete to being a national championhsip like the rest ... in fact the title of Scottish Championships fairly well describes what it is. I truly hope it is an 'Open' champs, i.e. you don't have prove Scottish lineage to partake.

Will be interesting to see what happens ... when we finally get the rules etc.

John S
2nd-August-2002, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Gus

I truly hope it is an 'Open' champs, i.e. you don't have prove Scottish lineage to partake.

At the Blackpool Open, competitors didn't even have to be human - as those of you who were there will remember, a large yellow chicken did pretty well in the Dance With a Stranger competition!
(Quite appropriate for the Pet Hate thread, I suppose!).

Heather
3rd-August-2002, 12:16 PM
:wink: You are right there John, I remember the chicken, he got through to the semi- finals didn't he!!!!!:D
Well, all comers are welcome here in Scotland, who knows we might even get entries from, shetland ponies, highland cattle, the famous grouse or maybe even the fabled haggis!!!!:wink:

Gus
3rd-August-2002, 02:47 PM
:wink: You are right there John, I remember the chicken, he got through to the semi- finals didn't he!!!!!:D

Actualy the chicken got re-instated by popular demand into the final of the 'Dance with a stranger'. The guy inside was Dan Slape, who won the advanced section last year and came third in the Ceroc champs this year with a new partner. You should make sure he gets invited up ... he's very good and a nice chap to boot!