PDA

View Full Version : Where do people learn about dance-floor etiquette?

Spiky Steve
6th-June-2007, 01:31 PM
When dancing I can tell most people try hard to avoid collisions and have respect for other dancers. Some good dancers could avoid a small asteroid whilst protecting their partners and others.

What annoys me is take their partners away, leaders or follwers, and suddenly it's great to walk straight across the dance floor or treat other dancers as a nuisance as they are on their way to get a drink or some other business :angry:

I have noticed similar when some people join a dance floor mid track.

Lee Bartholomew
6th-June-2007, 01:34 PM
Blueeyes got taken out by someone walking past on sunday. She ended up bruised with me nearly on top. Some people have no respect for others on the dance floor.

The worst ones are the ones who walk across carrying drinks and once in Bromley (though they have now banned smoking) a lit cigarete

fletch
6th-June-2007, 01:37 PM
It drives me mad when people walk across the floor with a drink :angry:

It also drives me mad when people end one dance chatting and just stand where they are still chatting, move to the side :mad:

Terpsichorea
6th-June-2007, 01:52 PM
I find it very irritating when people bump into you and don't make any acknowledgment that they've just done it. Collisions happen, but it's only polite to indicate that you realise you've just bumped into someone.

Astro
6th-June-2007, 02:05 PM
Blueeyes got taken out by someone walking past on sunday. She ended up bruised with me nearly on top. Some people have no respect for others on the dance floor. Hope Blueeyes is OK

The worst ones are the ones who walk across carrying drinks and once in Bromley (though they have now banned smoking) a lit cigarete

I once saw a working teenager with a tray full of empty/dregs glasses cross an extremely busy floor.:eek: Can anyone beat that?

Astro
6th-June-2007, 02:07 PM
It drives me mad when people walk across the floor with a drink :angry:

It also drives me mad when people end one dance chatting and just stand where they are still chatting, move to the side :mad:

Teachers and Taxis in London stand chatting on the floor. They set a bad example. What can you expect?

straycat
6th-June-2007, 02:11 PM
I find it very irritating when people bump into you and don't make any acknowledgment that they've just done it. Collisions happen, but it's only polite to indicate that you realise you've just bumped into someone.
:yeah:
Whoever the caused the collision, an acknowledgement, plus a check that no-one's injured is always - at the very least - the polite thing.

On another note:

The best way to cross a dancefloor, even if you're on your own (assuming there's no way around) is to dance across it to the music, which should put you in tune with the floor and the people on it. It's a lot easier to anticipate what the dancers are doing, and to keep out of their way (and - let's face it - if you can't do that solo, you're going to have serious problems with floorcraft when you have a partner to take care of)

Twirly
6th-June-2007, 02:13 PM

I agree, though sometimes, particularly if it's just a small bump rather than a full-scale collision, it can be hard to tell, on a fast moving dancefloor, whom you bumped into :blush: particularly if they were behind you, your partner hasn't noticed and continues to move you around at speed :( Happened to me a couple of times on the boat on Sunday - but I didn't notice anyone giving me dirty looks when I got a chance to look. And I did try to apologise... :blush:

Terpsichorea
6th-June-2007, 02:16 PM
I agree, though sometimes, particularly if it's just a small bump rather than a full-scale collision, it can be hard to tell, on a fast moving dancefloor, whom you bumped into :blush: particularly if they were behind you, your partner hasn't noticed and continues to move you around at speed :( Happened to me a couple of times on the boat on Sunday - but I didn't notice anyone giving me dirty looks when I got a chance to look. And I did try to apologise... :blush:

I had a painful experience at a freestyle about a month ago...basically a woman sort of backed into me sideways on, but she was sort of swinging her hand out for emphasis as she did so, and ended up, as we say in Yorkshire hitting me a good 'un, right in the pills. I wouldn't have minded that much, but she gave me an outraged glare for having the temerity to put my goolies in the path of her fist. She clearly knew what she'd done, but made no effort to apologise.

Spiky Steve
6th-June-2007, 02:21 PM
Hope Blueeyes is OK

I once saw a working teenager with a tray full of empty/dregs glasses cross an extremely busy floor.:eek: Can anyone beat that?

Someone working at the Ceroc champs carried a metal post straight across the dancefloor in a hurry. Almost dipped my partner straight into it. :angry:

The best way to cross a dancefloor, even if you're on your own (assuming there's no way around) is to dance across it to the music, which should put you in tune with the floor and the people on it. It's a lot easier to anticipate what the dancers are doing, and to keep out of their way (and - let's face it - if you can't do that solo, you're going to have serious problems with floorcraft when you have a partner to take care of)

Astro
6th-June-2007, 02:29 PM
Someone working at the Ceroc champs carried a metal post straight across the dancefloor in a hurry. Almost dipped my partner straight into it. :angry:

I was on the floor too, when the teeming drinks tray sailed past me....:sad:

Trouble
6th-June-2007, 07:04 PM
Have not had a chance to put this post on since i came back from Southport as have been a very busy girl but one thing i noticed about the weekend was the lack of manners/management on the dance floor. I know its very difficult on a packed floor to avoid bumping but i did find it really bad. :sick:

This got me thinking. I have never seen a class on this or heard anybody mention it that much. :confused:

Isnt this something really important in the dance world.? :confused:

Bruised and limping Trouble xx :flower:

Yliander
6th-June-2007, 07:19 PM
ideally it should be one of those technique things that is mention regularly in class so that it sinks in and becomes part of your dancing.

and a small note - followers are response for this as much as leads - you can see over their should and pull them up if you see iminient collision headed your way

Nessiemonster
6th-June-2007, 08:32 PM
and a small note - followers are response for this as much as leads - you can see over their should and pull them up if you see iminient collision headed your way

This works - as long as you have connection (and have not been put in to so many spins you can't see straight!! :wink: ). Otherwise I've found the guy just looks a little confused, then realises what you were trying to do when there's a collision, then looks apologetic! :flower:

Trouble
6th-June-2007, 08:35 PM
Mostly the scrapes and bumps were behind me, ie: somebody putting a woman into my dance space or a man coming back into mine. The worst thing about it though is the ill manners they show when it happens. I always apologise even if its not my fault but many dont. :angry:

MartinHarper
6th-June-2007, 08:53 PM
Otherwise I've found the guy just looks a little confused, then realises what you were trying to do when there's a collision, then looks apologetic! :flower:

I think it's a learning process for the guys. The first hundred times I was just confused, whereas now I'm more likely to pick up on the signal.

Lee Bartholomew
6th-June-2007, 08:56 PM
Some people are just compleate idiots when it comes to floor space anyhow. There has been many a time I have had the potential to have a great dance but been too concerened over floor spacing issues to really go for it.

There was one person at SP who was a forumite (who will remain nameless) who seemed to have no floor craft at all. Every dance I saw him have, he seemed to penguin his partner in to someone. :mad:

StokeBloke
6th-June-2007, 09:14 PM
There was one person at SP who was a forumite (who will remain nameless) who seemed to have no floor craft at all. Every dance I saw him have, he seemed to penguin his partner in to someone. :mad:
Wow, one of the few times when I have been glad I can't do that particular move :D In fairness floor-craft isn't something I have ever heard mentioned at any class I have ever attended - how are leads supposed to learn it; by osmosis? I only know what I know by watching more experienced leads and trying to apply common sense. I have no idea if I have good, bad or ugly floor-craft. How do you find out; by the amount of bruises your follow has at the end of the dance? Seems a bit 'hit and miss' to me - literally :sick:

nebula
7th-June-2007, 12:11 AM
Do you think the teachers should say it to all the dancers - no matter beginners or advanced, or even better - from the stage - please apologise if you bumped into someone, or spun your follower into somebody's dance space? :really: I always apologise, but there was this woman the other night - I know it was only her 2nd time in ceroc venue, but god almighty - she was a menace on the floor, and never once apologised to me or my partner. Well, my leader and me - we just sighed heavily and got on with it. :sick: Boy, did I have bruise coming on afterwards...:sad:

nebula
7th-June-2007, 12:21 AM
People standing chatting right on the dance floor - isn't that just rude?!!!:confused: One wildly gesticulating woman almost took my eye out with dangling jewellery on her wrist when we were moving - dancing - past her. :angry: In her defence, she did try to apologise, but by then, I was so angry, I didn't want to know. She was taking the valuable floor space, chatting up a guy I wanted to dance with (I had to settle for second-best as a result :whistle: - no offence!:hug: ) and also gave me a dirty look at first. It's only when she saw who she's hit, :really: she was all apologetic!

KatieR
7th-June-2007, 12:35 AM
The issue of floor craft is universal and not taught enough. I always make sure I am aware of my surroundings and who I am near. There are some people who just have no clue and don't realise that other people are trying to dance around them. In those instances, try and dance yourselves away from them.

In our classes we always make mention of being aware of what you are doing and who is near you. Especially with beginners. Then it becomes part of their natural improvement. rather than dancing for a year and then going, oh crap, I now have to work out where I am going. or worse case scenario, I'm 'too good' to watch where I'm going. (IMO it's a sure sign that they are no where near good enough).

StokeBloke
7th-June-2007, 12:36 AM
I hate it when on a fairly quiet dance floor, you're dancing and someone brings their partner onto the floor and starts dancing really close to where you are already dancing :mad:
I understand the reason... if you dance next to me, no matter how little you can dance you're gonna look good... but it is still annoying to have your space taken when there is plenty elsewhere. Still a quick stroll and it's usually sorted. But still! Grrrr.. I may pen a letter to the Daily Mail :angry:

Whitebeard
7th-June-2007, 01:39 AM
The issue of floor craft is universal and not taught enough. .........

Indeed; and I've learned more on this issue on the forum, and when freestyling, than during lessons.

Gav
7th-June-2007, 07:06 AM
I understand the reason... if you dance next to me, no matter how little you can dance you're gonna look good...

Sorry mate, but I have to do something to make me look good :blush: :rofl::rofl::rofl:.
I'll stop knocking you over and tripping you up though, that's probably taking it a little too far :D :rofl:.

robd
7th-June-2007, 10:03 AM

Wow, one of the few times when I have been glad I can't do that particular move :D

I can guess who you might be referring to. I don't think penguins should cause any more floorcraft issues than any other moves providing
* the 'spare' arms are not outstretched to the side
* excessive speed of rotation is not favoured by the leader over control of movement

Spiky Steve
7th-June-2007, 10:09 AM
I hate it when on a fairly quiet dance floor, you're dancing and someone brings their partner onto the floor and starts dancing really close to where you are already dancing :mad:
:angry:

Agreed another pet hate of mine.

Have you noticed it's the same in car parks. park in an empty part of a car park. The one car parked there when you return will be in the space next to your drivers door. :what:

Double Trouble
7th-June-2007, 10:09 AM

Aaaagh..! The infamous Mr Mcgoo (not his forum name). Don't be too hard on him, he's too vain to wear glasses and he is vertually blind without them.

Unfortunately, it does mean he bumps in to things a lot..on and off the dance floor.:rofl:

Spiky Steve
7th-June-2007, 10:18 AM
Do you think the teachers should say it to all the dancers - no matter beginners or advanced, or even better - from the stage - please apologise if you bumped into someone, or spun your follower into somebody's dance space? :really:

I'm sure when I first started dancing in Chester with Blitz they handed out information leaflets to beginners on etiquette and beginners move. I don't think I have seen that in London or anywhere else.

straycat
7th-June-2007, 10:37 AM
Agreed another pet hate of mine.

Have you noticed it's the same in car parks. park in an empty part of a car park. The one car parked there when you return will be in the space next to your drivers door. :what:

[off-topic]
Well - it could be worse. I remember an occasion (family holiday, when I was a kid) when we were parked in a huge, and completely empty car park. An elderly couple drove into the car park, drove about twenty yards past us, then reversed straight into our car, doing ... a considerable amount of damage. My dad was sitting in the drivers seat at the time, keys in his hand, watching in utter disbelief, and unable to do a thing to stop it.

Just to spice things up, when he got out of the car, before had a chance to speak his mind, the wife of the offending driver said, in defence of her husband: "Don't be angry with him! Can't you see he's upset? He only ever has accidents on roundabouts and at the end of journeys!"
[/off-topic]

ducasi
7th-June-2007, 10:55 AM
I've merged the two floor-craft threads together.

Beowulf
7th-June-2007, 11:31 AM
I've been bumped and in turn have bumped into people in the past. I do my best to stay out of people's way when dancing but short of installing rear view mirrors, eyes in the back of the head and developing my Jedi force sense and "Stretching out with my feelings" :rolleyes: there's only so much I can do.

I always watch where my partner is and where I'm leading her, if I'm going to step back I do a quick glance out of the corner of my eye to see if I can catch anyone right behind me. But I don't know what else to do.. it doesn't help connection if your continually turning away from your partner to look behind you.

As for when I'm not dancing sometimes the dance floor goes right up to the seating area. People will have seats encroaching onto the dance floor. I always wait to the end of a song to make a dance to the toilet/bar etc. but sometimes you do have to run the gauntlet of dancers. As said above I listen to the music and observe the dancers and try to move in sync with the dancers. Although sometimes I feel that the DJ should be playing the theme to "Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the lost ark" sometimes. .. "Arm! Duck!!! leg!! Jump!!" and all the time there's a fast spinning dancer rapidly approaching you from behind.. and you have to get out before the gap ahead of you closes. :wink:

David Bailey
7th-June-2007, 11:36 AM
I've been bumped and in turn have bumped into people in the past. I do my best to stay out of people's way when dancing but short of installing rear view mirrors, eyes in the back of the head and developing my Jedi force sense and "Stretching out with my feelings" :rolleyes: there's only so much I can do.
You may laugh, but I've seen Amir lead a follower who had her eyes closed, and who had no physical contact with him. Magic, that's the only explanation. :respect:

straycat
7th-June-2007, 11:54 AM
You may laugh, but I've seen Amir lead a follower who had her eyes closed, and who had no physical contact with him. Magic, that's the only explanation. :respect:

Either that, or a very compact remote-control electric-shock device (http://www.britishdog.net/index.php?app=gbu0&ns=prodshow&ref=Pro+Dog+Trainer&sid=5sl90vn4zccsqwi8j935007mj257304t) :whistle:

Beowulf
7th-June-2007, 12:07 PM

Pah ! I can do that...

Shouts "TURN LEFT! LEFT!!! ARM JIVE!! WITH A SWIZZLE!!"

:rolleyes: :wink:

Seriously though, would love to see Amir doing that.. the Force is obviously strong in that one!

Tiggerbabe
7th-June-2007, 12:23 PM
I'm not laughing, I'm genuinely interested, can you elaborate?

Double Trouble
7th-June-2007, 12:45 PM
Shouts "TURN LEFT! LEFT!!! ARM JIVE!! WITH A SWIZZLE!!"

:rofl: p-m-s-l....!

Reminds me of some numpty at Southport giving me verbal instructions of what move he was going to do next.

.....aaaand triple step..!:confused: and in the blues room too......!:rofl:

WittyBird
7th-June-2007, 12:54 PM
In relation to your question about where people learn dance floor etiquette, I'd double check with SilverFox but I do believe the correct answer is Fulham.

I believe they use the Vinnie O'slap technique.

Gadget
7th-June-2007, 01:39 PM
I learned a lot from what was my regular venue... very busy and packed with people. Most of what I learned was "combat dancing" {how to create space to move you/your partner into} and "defensive dancing" {how to keep the space you've claimed} (Actually I had already developed some of these skills from muggle dancing and mosh-pits :D)
I moved venues from that one mainly because of the cramped conditions and I didn't like how I was having to dance.

Then I learned dancing small and contained, avoidance and moving with the flow of people on the dance floor.

Then I learned moving through the dance floor; seeing a gap and moving through it, taking my parter with me.

I'm still practicing the last one :D Great fun, with the unfortunate side-effect that it scares some dancers who I whizz by/round :devil:

nebula
7th-June-2007, 08:15 PM
Had a lovely dance last night with a chap. Found ourselves in a fairly cramped spot, so he lead me out with a bouncy step around half of the dance floor into an emptier space. Was fun, and solved the problem.

As for when I'm not dancing sometimes the dance floor goes right up to the seating area. People will have seats encroaching onto the dance floor.
Fair enough - but when it isn't, they've finished the dance, and still stand on the dance floor? arggggghhhhhhhh!!!!!!

Astro
8th-June-2007, 01:15 PM
People standing chatting right on the dance floor - isn't that just rude?!!!:confused: One wildly gesticulating woman almost took my eye out with dangling jewellery on her wrist when we were moving - dancing - past her. :angry: In her defence, she did try to apologise, but by then, I was so angry, I didn't want to know. She was taking the valuable floor space, chatting up a guy I wanted to dance with (I had to settle for second-best as a result :whistle: - no offence!:hug: ) and also gave me a dirty look at first. It's only when she saw who she's hit, :really: she was all apologetic!

Most dancers feel safer dancing on the edge of the floor - I remember a poll a few months ago.

Personally I always feel safer in the middle of the floor, due to pedestrians.

The other thing is, that if you go clubbing, it's quite acceptable to walk all over the floor. So a newbie would be genuinely ignorant. Announcements are called for.

Lee Bartholomew
8th-June-2007, 01:26 PM
Something I tend to do with the chatters on the floor is to give them a gentil nudge. This norm gives them the hint. Only once have I come up against somone who was determined to stand there and chat in the middle of the floor. After several incrasingly harder nudges didn't work, a woodface travelling spin did. :D

See, It has it's uses.

Raul
8th-June-2007, 07:18 PM
I've merged the two floor-craft threads together.

Typical !:angry:

Talking about floor craft, you are following a thread with plenty of space and before you know it someone has put another thread right there beside you!

:angry:

Raul
8th-June-2007, 07:27 PM
I understand the reason... if you dance next to me, no matter how little you can dance you're gonna look good... :angry:

Actually, this is a tip I learned when i started dancing! -
If you are shy and self-conscious about people looking at you dance badly, go next to a couple of "flash" dancers. The on-lookers will be focussing on the other couple and not paying any attention to you. I have been told that you could practically make love on the dance floor next to X & Y and no one would notice (not that i have tried!).