PDA

View Full Version : Touch & Go

Lounge Lizard
6th-August-2003, 10:10 PM
Hi guys
I have been talking to the brains behind Touch and Go with regard to the possibility of a live performance (and DJ set) initially in the London area, for the Ceroc/Modern jive dancers, is anyone out their interested and if so how far would you be prepared to travel

DavidY
6th-August-2003, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by Jayne in another thread somewhere
However, I also bought the touch and go album. It's FANTASTIC!I saw Jayne's recommendation & have just bought Touch & Go's "I find you very attractive"- Jayne's right & it's a cracking CD. :nice: It's deleted in my local record shops though :tears:

I admit I'm not a fan of London so not sure I'd travel there to see them - but that's because of London rather than the band! Would be interested if it happened elsewhere though.

David

PS I noticed when I ordered it that Amazon's list of "people who bought Touch & Go also bought.." CDs includes Kirsty MacColl's Tropical Brainstorms - were they all Ceroc/Modern Jivers ?!

Lounge Lizard
6th-August-2003, 11:04 PM
probably but as i bought about 100 copies of touch & go plus tropical brainstorm, that may have helped.
If you cant get the cd let me know.

Chicklet
7th-August-2003, 07:50 AM
lot of weekends booked up at the mo but with the cheap flights from here would certainly consider making the trip for something specifially different like that:D

not a lot of hols left so can it be a Saturday rather than a Friday?
and in an idiot proof easy find venue????:wink:

C

Jayne
7th-August-2003, 08:39 AM
Lounge Lizard,

I might be tempted.... :wink:

However, I've got yet more trips planned in the next couple of months so the prospect of getting down to London again doesn't grab me... Having said that though, London is the easiest place in the country for everyone to get to....

J :nice:

Heather
7th-August-2003, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by Jayne
London is the easiest place in the country for everyone to get to....

That's rather a sweeping statement, Jayne. But then again, I forgot that London is the centre of the Universe !!!!!:sick:

:hug:
Heather,
X

Jayne
7th-August-2003, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Heather
That's rather a sweeping statement, Jayne. But then again, I forgot that London is the centre of the Universe !!!!!:sick:

No, it's not the centre of the Universe, it's just that people who live there tend to think it is... *sigh*

However, it is one of the few cities in the country you can get to easily from any other city with direct trains and flights. If you pick somewhere more "central" like Manchester flights from Scotland are more expensive and there are fewer direct trains into the city (I remember once taking seven hours to get there by train from Glasgow...). This, unfortunately, keeps things happening in London and so the cycle continues...

*sigh*

Andy McGregor
11th-August-2003, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by Jayne
Lounge Lizard,

I might be tempted.... :wink:

However, I've got yet more trips planned in the next couple of months so the prospect of getting down to London again doesn't grab me... Having said that though, London is the easiest place in the country for everyone to get to....

Some bits of London are easy to get to. But other bits are anything up to 4 hours away even when you live nearby :really:

And then there's traffic, expensive parking, theft, vandalism or impossible public transport. And that doesn't even consider the dancers that are too good to dance with anyone. London venues are full of them. You know the ones, they turn up and watch the intermediate lessons - because they think they don't need them:devil: Then they dance brilliantly with a couple of friends to show you they really are good :wink: And, worst of all, they wouldn't be seen dead dancing with a beginner:sad: Nowadays they're harder to spot because black and white shoes are so common:devil:

That said, I'd go if it was in London. But I'd also go if it was somewhere easily accesible to the M25 with good parking.

Alfie
12th-August-2003, 01:09 AM
Yes we would be very interested if it was in a decent venue.
We are quite happy to to travel down to the Smoke from the midlands and if given enough notice we could probably get adecent crowd together.:D

Lounge Lizard
12th-August-2003, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by Alfie
Yes we would be very interested if it was in a decent venue.
We are quite happy to to travel down to the Smoke from the midlands and if given enough notice we could probably get adecent crowd together.:D

Thanks Alfie, the economics require a large venue for 600+ dancers. First thing is to gauge interest of the dancers outside London

Divissima
12th-August-2003, 09:54 AM
Lounge Lizard, TwK and I would be very keen on this (but as we live in London it's pretty much a given).
Are there any plans to market the T&G mix prepared (so the mighty Jon Brett told us) especially for Hipsters?? It is fab - and I'd love to get my hands on a copy.

Lounge Lizard
12th-August-2003, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by Divissima
Lounge Lizard, TwK and I would be very keen on this (but as we live in London it's pretty much a given).
Are there any plans to market the T&G mix prepared (so the mighty Jon Brett told us) especially for Hipsters?? It is fab - and I'd love to get my hands on a copy.

JB is close - It was prepared for me.

I met up with guy from T & G at Hipsters and introduced him to Nigel J B etc.
He thought Hipsters was great and JB had promise as a DJ!!!!

Following week he called me with new track and as I was DJ'ing at Dorking he took it to Hipsters and hence JB got it 2 days before me.

But Hipters is the best place to air new stuff - It was well recieved in Scotland tho.

I will let you know on marketing the track.

p

Divissima
12th-August-2003, 10:22 AM
aha!
Great track - will standby for further info on marketing :grin:

Dance Demon
12th-August-2003, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by Lounge Lizard
- It was well recieved in Scotland tho
p

It sure was:drool: ..I danced to this one and it was brill:waycool:

Alfie
12th-August-2003, 08:24 PM
Thanks Alfie, the economics require a large venue for 600+ dancers. First thing is to gauge interest of the dancers outside London

Good Evening Mr Lizard,
As it sounds like this is going to be a gig with great potential we would be quite happy to promote it throughout the midlands.

We visit venues from Gloucester up as far as Stockport and central Birmingham out as far as Northampton on a regular basis so putting the word out would be no problem.
P.M me for any more info:waycool:

Lounge Lizard
12th-August-2003, 08:45 PM
This is great, keep them coming

now need to find a venue for 600ish dancers
your are ideas welcome (and needed) - easy access is a must, also I dont want to approach any existing ceroc/modern jive venues without ok from organiser.

Sheepman
13th-August-2003, 12:59 PM

Sounds like a tall order, I can only think of Walthamstow and Hammersmith (both Ceroc venues). How about the Brighton Centre? (Never been there, and yes I DO know it's not in London!)
I'm hoping this won't happen till at least mid November, all my w/es are booked up till then.

Greg

Jayne
13th-August-2003, 01:15 PM
your are ideas welcome (and needed) - easy access is a must, also I dont want to approach any existing ceroc/modern jive venues without ok from organiser.
How about the venue for the Perth weekend? OK so it's not London but that's just a small technicality....

Hammersmith?? Surely not, please?

J :devil:

Andy McGregor
13th-August-2003, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Sheepman
Sounds like a tall order, I can only think of Walthamstow and Hammersmith (both Ceroc venues). How about the Brighton Centre? (Never been there, and yes I DO know it's not in London!)
I'm hoping this won't happen till at least mid November, all my w/es are booked up till then.

Greg

The Brighton Centre takes thousands - seated. There is a flat area in front of the stage where you can dance. But it's not a dance floor.

Hove Town Hall takes just under 900 and has a great floor. How about that? Easy links to Gatwick and about 30-40 mins from the M25.

Alfie
16th-August-2003, 11:19 AM
But it's another four hours driving for us midlanders if the roads are poor.:tears: :tears:

I'd like to see it no farther south than the smoke as it is only a night not for the whole weekend. The Midlands or the northwest would be better, but as already discussed before london seems to be the hub of the social universe.

We'll have to ask the Lizard if there is any chance outside of the M25 heading north:D

Chris
16th-August-2003, 01:34 PM
My vote would be for the North East of England - lots of places that would host it.

It's also maybe about as 'accessibly central' as you can get, using some factors like time travelling / rail link availability

{stands back and waits for witty quips about time travel} :yum:

Lounge Lizard
17th-August-2003, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by Alfie
But it's another four hours driving for us midlanders if the roads are poor.:tears: :tears:

I'd like to see it no farther south than the smoke as it is only a night not for the whole weekend. The Midlands or the northwest would be better, but as already discussed before london seems to be the hub of the social universe.

We'll have to ask the Lizard if there is any chance outside of the M25 heading north:D

Lots, David (the guy behind T&G) lives in Midlands, plus I would hope to have JB who is a midland lad,(and me) DJ'ing.
Not worth organising until early next year
The interest is picking up, need to find venue now

I would not do it at Brighton anyway, sorry Andy

Chicklet
19th-August-2003, 07:58 AM
BLACKPOOL!!!!!!

Was there anyone who DIDN'T like it as a venue??
Loads of close cheap accommodation - combine with a couple of groovy workshops day before or after?????

C
:D

BlueThreeFour
19th-August-2003, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Chicklet
BLACKPOOL!!!!!!

Was there anyone who DIDN'T like it as a venue??
Loads of close cheap accommodation - combine with a couple of groovy workshops day before or after?????

C
:D

I would be favour of that.:yum:

The most sensible idea you have ever had Chicky!:D

Chicklet
19th-August-2003, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by BlueThreeFour
I would be favour of that.:yum:

The most sensible idea you have ever had Chicky!:D

Ok, you're sooking, take it you want a lift??? :hug: :D

BlueThreeFour
19th-August-2003, 02:47 PM
Chicky the only time I hear from you is when you want a lift somewhere:(

However, if you want to give me a lift to Blackpool to see Touch and Go I'll gladly accept the offer. :grin: But I won't hold my breath on them appearing in Blackpool or you giving me a lift:(

Jon
19th-August-2003, 06:02 PM
I'd be interested in anywhere within 100 miles of london. Sorry meant to say within 100 miles of the center of the universe :grin:

Mary
22nd-August-2003, 12:18 PM
Isn't there a big venue in Milton Keynes? This would be pretty accessable (can't spell) for Midlands and South, I would imagine loads of parking, but maybe a bit of a no-no for those north of the border. It might mean a flight to London then hack into Euston for a train to MK.

Maybe some of us in London could put people up for the night, which would keep the expense down.

Mary

Pammy
22nd-August-2003, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Mary
Maybe some of us in London could put people up for the night, which would keep the expense down.

Sounds like a good idea. I have room for two :grin:

Px

Boomer
13th-September-2003, 06:24 PM
Just noticed this thread and decided to try and resuscitate it. Have there been any further developments? Sounds like an excellent idea and I’m well up for it mate (someone give me a chair and a whip, this accent is trying to break free again):nice: .

I’m also really, and I mean really as in cor-wot-a-brill-idea-try-to-make-a-weekend-of-somefin’- really, in favour of an ‘out of London experience’. Would love a damn good reason to get me up north, and something like this could be it. Especially if the venue was some kind of hotel thingy that gave a fair deal to people who go to the bash and stay overnight at said hotel. Mind you, that’s probably pushing it a bit. Nonetheless, North for me! If it all comes off, a good main gig, and the chance to try northern hospitality the night before and after at some of your venues.:cheers:

Just to reiterate, north would be good.....someone get me out of London for the weekend!

Doc Iain
15th-September-2003, 10:42 PM
Like diva and TwK myself I am in London but either way myself and my better half would in interested in this.... anyprogress?

oh and I am away until december, so it CANNOT be organised until after then! :p :devil:

Boomer
18th-September-2003, 01:00 AM
Still not sure what the latest is, but still hoping. Venues – maybe I’m speaking from a clueless perspective.....possible I guess, but would a ship in dry-dock, or an aeroplane hanger or maybe an empty warehouse be a worthy suggestion? And who is the woman who does the vocals in ‘Tango in Harlem’!?! My god I thing I’m in love with a voice!:what:

P.S Hiya Tess, never thought I’d be rumbled...at least not so soon.
:D :cheers:

Lounge Lizard
18th-September-2003, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by Boomer
Still not sure what the latest is, but still hoping. Venues – maybe I’m speaking from a clueless perspective.....possible I guess, but would a ship in dry-dock, or an aeroplane hanger or maybe an empty warehouse be a worthy suggestion? And who is the woman who does the vocals in ‘Tango in Harlem’!?! My god I thing I’m in love with a voice!:what:

P.S Hiya Tess, never thought I’d be rumbled...at least not so soon.
:D :cheers:
Hi, the lady is an actress (I think) who was visiting David and they were unsure what to, so they gave her a microphone sat her on a sofa an asked her to talk about anything.
So she told them about a mugging incident.....yes everyone's favourite blues track is about a mugger taking her last few dollars, hence the f#@k you comment.
At the end of the story she goes "Yea great place New York etc."

Re: the Touch and Go dance still trying to make numbers work.
The cost to stage this event is really high and getting numbers, venue etc. is not easy.
Finding the right venue and location is a nightmare, tickets would be £20pp, plus travel, accommodation etc. so becoming a bit of a non starter
but,
I think if it was part of a major dance weekend everyone would be prepared to pay an additional £10 to see Touch & Go live at the event.
I know I would, then the economics work.
Perhaps I should start a poll on this and if results are good, talk to the relevant organiser(s).
p

Chicklet
18th-September-2003, 08:18 AM
Please Don't Give Up!!!!

Try the poll at different prices?

IMO there are plenty of people out there who would, with longer notice in particular, pay "extra" for this as a one off event.

Is £20 really that big a deal when you look how many people will have travelled and paid far more for Robbie recently (and it's v difficult to dance in a murrayfield seat!)

Try the poll with a special plea for the hundreds of non-posting readers that we have to vote just this once?

*crosses fingers for good feedback*

C:D

Boomer
18th-September-2003, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by Chicklet
Please Don't Give Up!!!!

Try the poll at different prices?

Try the poll with a special plea for the hundreds of non-posting readers that we have to vote just this once?

*crosses fingers for good feedback*

C:D

I agree with LL and Chicklet (about the poll) and not giving up. I still think its an excellent idea and worth pursuing, and 'is £20-odd quid too much?' - place your votes....NOW!:nice:

Lounge Lizard
18th-September-2003, 01:43 PM
Hi
It is not just the cost of £20otd
Say London (or M25 circle) based venue
For some travelling costs can be up to £75pp.
Overnight accommodation about £50pp
so the cost for many could be unrealistic.

A weekend event with say 1500 dancers including fully boarded floors therefore has adequate dance space, stage, accommodation etc. I think will work
If I can suss out how to do a poll :confused: I will do it.
p

foxylady
19th-September-2003, 12:18 AM
Just discovered who Touch and Go are thanks to an amazing dance with Doc Iain at the NJB.....

The gig sounds like a great idea... count me in

By the way Boomer, you weren't dancing much...

Boomer
19th-September-2003, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by foxylady

By the way Boomer, you weren't dancing much...
:eek: Infamy! Infamy!! They've all got it in for me! Actually Ms Foxylady (franticly trying to put a possible face to the name:really: ) For me, I was dancing loads, I even asked 3 wimmin to dance! Now that's a record:yum: Therefore milud, while I accept that Boomer wasn't dancing much relative to Ms F-Lady (F does mean foxy here:D ) relative to himself, a clod-hopping gorilla with 2 left feet and a club foot, he was dancing bucket-loads.

If you think I wasn't dancing 'enough', well that's a different matter. and one that could have been rectified. I understand wimmin are permitted to ask men to dance at Ceroc?:D

Andy McGregor
19th-September-2003, 08:44 AM
[BIf you think I wasn't dancing 'enough', well that's a different matter. and one that could have been rectified. I understand wimmin are permitted to ask men to dance at Ceroc?:D [/B]

But I'm not sure if men can tell women that they're waiting to be asked :devil:

Pammy
19th-September-2003, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by Andy McGregor

are we talking men or gorillas? :wink:

Boomer
19th-September-2003, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Andy McGregor

:rofl: I thing the lady in "Tango in Harlem" has my response to this:D Cheeckysoanso:D No, my point re:'not enough' also applies to me. In fact, there was young lady, sitting on the side, tapping her glass, not ready to ask, not being asked therefor not dancing enough. Enough meaning 'I want to dance more'. So I asked her to damce, had a couple of good dances to:cheers: .

Oh, this wasn't done out of ANY feeling of sympathy, rather one of empathy, and this dam-ned helpful, nurturing nature I have been lumbered with.:nice:

Mary
19th-September-2003, 12:01 PM
Boomer, you sound like a little treasure, and I can't wait for the opportunity of asking a gorrilla for a dance.;)

However, what has all this to do with "Touch & Go" (I suppose quite a lot really if you think about it.:( ) Is this another of those threads that ends up not only off the planet, but in another galaxy entirely!!:devil:

LL - get that poll going. i'm sure Franck would be able to offer advice on how to post it.:wink:

M

Mary
19th-September-2003, 12:05 PM
Actually, I blame you Pammy. You're a disruptive influence.:mad: I bet you were the trouble-maker at school, yeah, I know your type.:devil: :devil:

M

Pammy
19th-September-2003, 12:37 PM
Actually, I blame you Pammy. You're a disruptive influence.:mad: I bet you were the trouble-maker at school, yeah, I know your type.:devil: :devil:

M

The Touch and Go lyric he's referring to is of course....

"Will you go to bed with me?" right :wink: :wink: :devil:

and everyone blames me; although I think it would take a greater force than the lady of the shrunken heads to disrupt our lovable gorilla-friend.

As for school, erm, nope, was as quiet as a mouse and hated school. Got picked on all the time for being so darn quiet. Guess I have changed somewhat, although the inner me is probably the same and I'm still shy :sorry (yes I am Shy, but go on, ridicule me even more!)

Px

Boomer
19th-September-2003, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Pammy

As for school, erm, nope, was as quiet as a mouse...(yes I am Shy, but go on, ridicule me even more!)

Px

Never one to turn down an invitation:innocent: ..."wasn't me miss, I'm shy and qwiet (stuffing two soggy burgers into her cake-hole). I don't want to go to school, I just want to be a dancer...in Harlem" - "where!?!" "In Harlem...they do the best muffins in the world (stuffing 2 muffins into her maw).

Just gone over LL's points re: the expenses...it does seem rather difficult:sad: , and even if hope is the mother of all fools, I live in hope.:cheers:

Boomer
19th-September-2003, 01:01 PM
Boomer, you sound like a little treasure, and I can't wait for the opportunity of asking a gorrilla for a dance.;)

Slight detour off-topic, sorry guys. I welcome the opportunity, but be gentle with me, I'm new to all this and really quite fragile and delicate.

Mary
19th-September-2003, 02:16 PM
Slight detour off-topic, sorry guys. I welcome the opportunity, but be gentle with me, I'm new to all this and really quite fragile and delicate.

Yeah.
:waycool:
M

Doc Iain
19th-September-2003, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Pammy

As for school, erm, nope, was as quiet as a mouse

Hmmmm yeah right!!

Pammy
19th-September-2003, 03:06 PM
I'm shy and qwiet (stuffing two soggy burgers into her cake-hole). I don't want to go to school, I just want to be a dancer...in Harlem" - "where!?!" "In Harlem...they do the best muffins in the world (stuffing 2 muffins into her maw).

Listen pal, if you lived in a horrible flat at Riverside Drive and had to walk home in the snow and you only had $50 on which to survive and feed your cats and buy rotten old dried up muffins. You'd have a dream YOU might want to become a dancer! :tears: :tears: :tears:

note I said DREAM :tears: :tears: :tears:

You'd be quiet too if someone held a flippin knife to your throat all for one stinkin muffin!

I rest my case...:wink:

Chicklet
25th-March-2004, 12:56 PM
Hi guys
I have been talking to the brains behind Touch and Go with regard to the possibility of a live performance (and DJ set) initially in the London area, for the Ceroc/Modern jive dancers, is anyone out their interested and if so how far would you be prepared to travel

Morning my little scaly amigo!

this thread a bit quiet of late...did anything ever come of this in the end??

Have T&G done TV work?
I'm sure I have heard something very much inthestyleof on one of those horribly addictive new house shows??!??:what:
Just being nosey really, but it IS annoying me that I don't know!

c:D