PDA

View Full Version : Southport & Escape - Compare and contrast

Gus
4th-June-2007, 09:12 PM
I suppose that Ceroc's venture into the world of weekenders is now mature enough for it to bear up to scrutiny. I was wondering how it stood up to the benchmark of Southport.

Rightly or wrongly it seems to me that JiveSpree has been relegated to the 'also rans'. Events such as Beach Boogie and Rock Bottoms seemed to have maintained a different niche ... but the battle royale, the Pepsi v Coke, is down between Southport and Escape. Having said that I wouldn't want this thread to decline into XXXXX is awesome than YYYYY sucks. Rather it would be a good forum to examine what are the differences and how they work ... or don't.

I've only been to Blaze so I'm not really in a position to make a deatiled comment. My only observations would be that Ceroc seems to target a wider range of dancers, i.e. it doesn't exclude the beginner end of the market, whereas I feel that Southport would be a very intimdating place for MJ newbies. Maybe because of this customer base Ceroc tends to have more MJ workshops. I must admit that I would far prefer to have more MJ workshops (Blaze was especially good for this) but Southport does seem to be very succesfull in its current range. The Cha Cha Cha and WCS workshops were packed ... so people obviously do like them.

Re the DJs ... now all the furore has died down and both series of events seem to have plenty of JDs ... are these a distinguishing factor any more?

Dreadful Scathe
5th-June-2007, 12:11 PM
I think, correct me if Im wrong Wes and Johnah, that Southport was created to fill a big gap in the market; i.e. a weekender with more advanced modern jive classes , new dance styles, different music themes, fun classes etc..all from one fairly central and big UK location. All those elements are important to the success of Southport but it seems Ceroc is now going to compete on the same terms; more locations, more DJs , more dance styles. Theres no better endorsment than being copied ;)

It remains to be seen if Ceroc will have the same atmosphere. Maybe the market will not support the extra weekenders and Southport will remain the biggy, but I think for many, the main decision will be based on what it always was: "where are my friends going?" :)

TA Guy
5th-June-2007, 12:39 PM
Storm I and Storm II were da bomb :)

Nothing else (including other Escape weekenders) compared for me.

onkar
5th-June-2007, 01:08 PM
I suppose that Ceroc's venture into the world of weekenders is now mature enough for it to bear up to scrutiny. I was wondering how it stood up to the benchmark of Southport.

Rightly or wrongly it seems to me that JiveSpree has been relegated to the 'also rans'. Events such as Beach Boogie and Rock Bottoms seemed to have maintained a different niche ... but the battle royale, the Pepsi v Coke, is down between Southport and Escape. Having said that I wouldn't want this thread to decline into XXXXX is awesome than YYYYY sucks. Rather it would be a good forum to examine what are the differences and how they work ... or don't.

I've only been to Blaze so I'm not really in a position to make a deatiled comment. My only observations would be that Ceroc seems to target a wider range of dancers, i.e. it doesn't exclude the beginner end of the market, whereas I feel that Southport would be a very intimdating place for MJ newbies. Maybe because of this customer base Ceroc tends to have more MJ workshops. I must admit that I would far prefer to have more MJ workshops (Blaze was especially good for this) but Southport does seem to be very succesfull in its current range. The Cha Cha Cha and WCS workshops were packed ... so people obviously do like them.

Re the DJs ... now all the furore has died down and both series of events seem to have plenty of JDs ... are these a distinguishing factor any more?

I've been attending weekenders for the past 2 years, and so far this year have attended (2xRockbottoms, 1x Jivetime Bognor, 1xJivetime Camber, 1 Ceroc Swish, Ceroc Storm, & Southport).

For me Southport is by a significant order of magnitude better than the Ceroc offerings. But that difference is due to what I am looking for. Both are well organised, professionally put together events and I cannot fault either in terms of how well they are run. Personally I am after the buzz that comes when you are pushed in your dancing, when you find dance partners that make you think "WOW". For me Southport attracts more dancers who give me that WOW sensation than anyone else. Certainly Ceroc attract these dancers as well, but not in such high numbers.

Where Ceroc excel is getting new bottoms through the door, and at most Ceroc weekenders the numbers of weekender virgins is high, but in many cases, these dancers are also quite new to Jive, (dancing 1-6 months). Thus attending a Ceroc weekender will not give me as many dance highs as Southport does.

I myself recommend Ceroc Weekenders to people who want to try a weekender, where there are lots of MJ classes, and who want to move up a level. Southport I recommend to people who are hardcore and want to be pushed.

Each has it's place. I think both will continue to flourish, and in some ways there is a symbiotic relationship between the two. Ceroc gets them in and gives them the basics, and Southport attracts them when the want to go to the next level.

I think Jivetime has suffered most, basically as Franco has cut corners, and now I only consider JT events if I am free on those weekender's, and book last minute. I still attend JT's events as Camber was my 1st weekender. I think most people develop a sentimental attachment to whatever weekender they attend 1st.

Rockbottoms are the one's where I have the fondest memories. Because they are smaller, more intimate, much friendlier, and lets face it Hev, Andy, Tor and Jon Brett know how to party!

Onkar

Spiky Steve
5th-June-2007, 01:59 PM
I have been to a number of weekenders now. I have enjoyed every one and everyone:wink:

Southport has the best atmosphere and sunshine.:respect:

Ceroc wins hands down on booking and arrival.

Each individual weekender always has it's own highlights. Things money can't buy :grin:

under par
5th-June-2007, 02:48 PM
......Stonkingly good post......

Onkar

Onkar has summed up eloquently how I perceive the differences.:worthy:
Rep on its way

TA Guy
5th-June-2007, 04:18 PM
For me it's about heart :)

For me, the heart of the weekender is the main room. That's not to say the other rooms arn't important, course not, but it's the biggest, has the most dancers, hosts the most lessons, cabarets... etc etc.

It's not about standard, it's not about organisation, it's not about whether all your friends are there, it's not about atmosphere, it's not about good or bad teachers, or good or bad cabarets. I fully understand that to some, those are incredibly important, but to me, they are peripheral and whilst it's great if they are all 'good', they can be overcome if lacking. In the end, it's about one thing and one thing only. It's about the dance, it's about
BUZZ

All the others, Jivetime, Camber, Bognor, Jiveaddiction, Southport, Breeze, etc were really enjoyable, but there was something extra about that huge room at Camber being packed to bursting point at times with like-minded dancers that just sent the 'buzz' quotiant into the stratosphere at both Storms.

I've not had that repeated anywhere. It's special.

Paul F
5th-June-2007, 04:27 PM
Onkar has summed up eloquently how I perceive the differences.:worthy:
Rep on its way

:yeah:

Nice post indeed!

Twirlie Bird
5th-June-2007, 05:25 PM
I've only done Chill and this Southport so I haven't got that much experience to base my thoughts on. However this is what I feel.

For me Southport was head and shoulders better. :D It was on a different level. The atmosphere was electric. Evening at Friday lunchtime before the music started there was a buzz of excitement. It felt like Chill did on the Sunday afternoon. A real bond being shared. :cheers: I had no idea what Southport was going to be like on Sunday afternoon. As it was it was pure magic. Something that I will probably never experience anywhere else again. :awe:

The standard of dancers were incredible at Southport. :worthy: Every single dance was different and enjoyable for so many reasons. So much uniqueness and so much talent under one roof. I learnt an incredible amount from dancing with these people for hours and hours.:clap:

The teachers and what was being taught looked and sounded impressive. When I got the brochure I was like 'I want to do this class and this class....'. As it was I didn't do one class. :rolleyes: I decided Saturday morning after dancing all Friday night that I was getting so much from the freestyle that I would buy the DVD and learn from those star teaches in my front room. :rofl:

The cabaret was awesome. :respect: I was so excited to see the pro's and they were amazing. To see those people that I had only ever seen on You Tube before right there before my eyes was amazing. Benji Benji Benji bring him on.............. Sorry my mind went elsewhere there. :whistle:

The bar stayed open far longer at Southport. I think it was about 6am it closed on Saturday night and then it was open again about 9am.:clap:

There were just two things that I felt was better at Chill than Southport. The checking in was far more organised and quick. Is this what all Escape events are like or was I lucky at Chill. :confused: Also personally I prefer to be able to book on line. That's it.

For me Southport felt like it was run by dancers for dancers. All the little touches were there and this made it perfect for me. :D

Bluey
6th-September-2008, 12:47 PM

I've only been to Blaze so I'm not really in a position to make a deatiled comment. My only observations would be that Ceroc seems to target a wider range of dancers, i.e. it doesn't exclude the beginner end of the market, whereas I feel that Southport would be a very intimdating place for MJ newbies. Maybe because of this customer base Ceroc tends to have more MJ workshops. I must admit that I would far prefer to have more MJ workshops (Blaze was especially good for this) but Southport does seem to be very succesfull in its current range.

Now what was you saying a year or so ago??

robd
6th-September-2008, 04:07 PM
I've only been to Blaze

and Breeze last year....

David Bailey
6th-September-2008, 06:12 PM
Oh good, another Southport thread resurrection.

robd
6th-September-2008, 07:05 PM
and Breeze last year....

Sorry, just seen the date on Gus's OP which predated Breeze 2007

SPROGGS
6th-September-2008, 09:46 PM
Rockbottoms are the one's where I have the fondest memories. Because they are smaller, more intimate, much friendlier, and lets face it Hev, Andy, Tor and Jon Brett know how to party!

Onkar

I agree with you on this....

But don't spread it about or we could loose them as well as they are a success. There could be a man with thick cheque book looking to increase his empire :stirring: