PDA

View Full Version : lead and follow

Chris
5th-August-2003, 04:24 PM
I'm terrified people will think I'm totally up myself for this, but I can't think of another forum that might (just might) give feedback. I know I can rely on you to be brutally honest (!) but I don't know whether anyone enoys this analytic approach enough to engage, or whether we'll just get a few humorous replies, or a total blank.

I personally find dance intellectually (as well as physically and emotionally) stimulating so wondered if anyone might like to comment on any aspects of the proposed page on Lead and Follow? (correcting my grammar or ham-fisted webpage coding appreciated, but more ideas, constructive criticism, things you agree or disagree on concerning the content far more so).

Cheers

Chris
(Grovelling apologies to anyone who finds the suggestion dry and boring!)
click on Tenderly compelling (http://www.docker.demon.co.uk/dance/leadfollow.html)
(If that's too cheesy after reading it, do suggest a better one!

Aleks
5th-August-2003, 05:04 PM
My only objection (after reading about a third) is that you constantly refer to the follower as "she". I know that mostly the male leads and female follows, but there are plenty of guys dancing out there who are damn good followers!

Chris
5th-August-2003, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Aleks
My only objection (after reading about a third) is that you constantly refer to the follower as "she". I know that mostly the male leads and female follows, but there are plenty of guys dancing out there who are damn good followers!

Yeah I know - the balance between PC and understandability. . .

Grammatically it could do with being a bit more consistent I suppose now you mention it.

Some dance manuals etc often preface it by saying leaders will be referred to as 'guys' and followers as 'girls' . . . others are very correct and just use 'leader' and 'follower'. Maybe a disclaimer along those lines?

One of my concerns is that there is quite a tradition in Ceroc to refer to 'guys' and 'girls'. Should we abandon it in favour of political correctness? Is grammatical inconsistency acceptable to nudge it forward in a non-confrontational way?

On the other hand, as I mention in the draft, it's best if both leaders and followers learn both how to lead and follow of course, or rather as a guy leading it helps me to know exactly which foot of yours I'm leading you on to. The same applies for women leading of course.

Thanks for your thoughts on the English.
What about the content (when you've read it through, and from your viewpoint as either a leader or follower of course!)