PDA

View Full Version : Senior member? Registered User?

Beowulf
1st-June-2007, 02:42 PM
In the shadow of the "commercial operator" thread I'd like to vent my spleen (spleen vents available from B&Q with fitting) over these titles.

Senior member.. makes me sound like an old fuddy duddy, A bit frayed at the edges and losing the plot. Ok I admit I AM an old fuddy duddy,A bit frayed at the edges and losing the plot. but I don't like to advertise that.

Registered User.. Makes them sound like Addicts. Yeah well.. Sniff.. I do a little forum now and again ..sniff.. for purely recreational purposes y'know? ..sniff.. fidget.. I can quit any time ..fidget..fidget..Sniff..rub arms..fidget

Come on.. surely we can think of better titles? N'est pas? :waycool: :D

Icey
1st-June-2007, 03:15 PM
..sniff.. fidget.. I can quit any time ..fidget..fidget..Sniff..rub arms..fidget

:rofl: Haven't managed it yet. Still here when I should be reading technical articles ready for Mondays exam :sick:

Raul
1st-June-2007, 03:31 PM
This is probably a fixed feature of the forum software. Hence the question about better titles.

But why the need to have a title at all unless you choose to? My view is that we do not need them at all, what with some people names in bold, some in italics, number of posts, rep power, rep points etc.

Society uses labels for instant, lazy evaluations of other people. Some forum members probably use the labels - registered user, senior member, commercial operator etc.. to prejudge the value of what is being posted.

The reality is that a nice label does not preclude some people from talking a lot of rubbish and the reverse is also true.

Stuart M
1st-June-2007, 03:39 PM
Ask nicely and you'll get a really silly title like "Barry Norman's Dad" or something.

It's not a fixed feature because on other forums I've been on using the same software, the default titles are different. Our defaults could be something like Beginner, Intermediate, and Hotshot (*watches rock doves fleeing escaped feline*).

Beowulf
1st-June-2007, 04:38 PM
The reality is that a nice label does not preclude some people from talking a lot of rubbish and the reverse is also true.

:yeah: I never claim to add anything to the forum .. other than volume ! :wink:

but As a webmaster of many forums in the past I know it's a matter of ease to change the default titles. As you say, why do WE need titles? can I change my title to '' (sans quotes) ? Sure I've read the commercial operator thread and I do not want to reissue the same old arguments. I just think that the choice of wording is ever-so-slightly flawed.

I'm not "Senior" I'm "Paid up" .. even "Silver member" is better than "Senior" And "Registered user" apart from the drug user connotations, if you're posting on the forum and not a paid up member then you have to be registered. a bit of redundancy there. Just a plain "Member" would suffice,

I'm not asking for many levels of complexity or custom titles here.

As for beginner - intermediate - Hotshot?

:rofl:

I wonder how many would chose the hotshot option.

Ask nicely and you'll get a really silly title like "Barry Norman's Dad" or something.

I nearly got a "silly title" once but I didn't want one. Don't feel the need to be different!

straycat
1st-June-2007, 04:43 PM
As for beginner - intermediate - Hotshot?

I wonder how many would chose the hotshot option.

I'd be tempted...
'Paid-up Move-Challenged Hotshot' just has a nice kind of ring to it... :whistle:

Twirly
1st-June-2007, 04:47 PM
I'd be tempted...
'Paid-up Move-Challenged Hotshot' just has a nice kind of ring to it... :whistle:

Be careful what you wish for...

Yoohoo - Franck - see what Stray would like as a tag-line?! :devil: :D

Stuart M
1st-June-2007, 04:56 PM
I nearly got a "silly title" once but I didn't want one. Don't feel the need to be different!
Yes, we're all individuals. Now go clean your room and get rid of that Welsh tart. :wink:

Stuart M
1st-June-2007, 05:06 PM
I'd be tempted...
Yes, and I bet there's some forumites out there who'd love a title like "Paid-up Incredibly Super Hotshot". At least, initially they would.

straycat
1st-June-2007, 05:08 PM
Yes, and I bet there's some forumites out there who'd love a title like "Paid-up Incredibly Super Hotshot". At least, initially they would.

'Bit like a tattoo really. Get a bit drunk (or, as right now, sleep-deprived), request a new title, regret it forever...

Raul
1st-June-2007, 05:28 PM
but As a webmaster of many forums in the past I know it's a matter of ease to change the default titles. As you say, why do WE need titles? can I change my title to '' (sans quotes) ?

:yeah:

The "(sans quotes)" is a good idea - can you can stop using titles completely without affecting the different authority levels e.g. moderator?

I think that the Commercial Operator thing started because of gratuitous advertising by some. Now that the moderator system is more active, the mods can control this if necessary.

On another forum i frequent they use Apprentice, Artisan, Aristocrat, Royal Family etc. This would probably appeal to those who like a sense of identification within the pecking order and need to perform the curtseying rituals! Wow, how fitting, the intrigues, bitching, petty arguments and posing. :rofl:

I want "(sans quotes)" too. :clap:

Raul
1st-June-2007, 05:39 PM
I'd be tempted...

Hey !

I thought you were the

Paid-up Move-Challenged Hotshot Extraordinaire :yum:

What happenned to your Extraordinaire bit?? :eek:

Twirly
1st-June-2007, 05:41 PM
Yes, we're all individuals. Now go clean your room and get rid of that Welsh tart. :wink:

What's DTS doing in Beo's room? :confused: :what:

straycat
1st-June-2007, 10:02 PM
Hey !

What happenned to your Extraordinaire bit?? :eek:

I got demoted when I paid up :tears:

Mezzosoprano
1st-June-2007, 10:44 PM
What's DTS doing in Beo's room? :confused: :what:
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: ?? PUtting up scaffolding?? Why does Beo want Scaffolding in his bedroom?

Whitebeard
1st-June-2007, 10:57 PM
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: ?? PUtting up scaffolding?? Why does Beo want Scaffolding in his bedroom?

I guess he just wants to climb up t'top, jump, and shout 'Geronomo'.

(Wardrobes just aren't high enough these days.)

Beowulf
1st-June-2007, 11:38 PM

Welsh tart?? what?.. who?.. where?.. WHAT welsh tart??

I guess he just wants to climb up t'top, jump, and shout 'Geronomo'.

(Wardrobes just aren't high enough these days.)

Now I've got a scaffolder in the bedroom and some indian chief?? Ok.. is it just me or has the forum got a bit more surreal? Dali become the new moderator perhaps??

Beo's feeling quite discombobulated. :confused: :confused: :confused:

JCB
2nd-June-2007, 02:29 PM
Welsh tart?? what?.. who?.. where?.. WHAT welsh tart??

Now I've got a scaffolder in the bedroom and some indian chief?? Ok.. is it just me or has the forum got a bit more surreal? Dali become the new moderator perhaps??

Beo's feeling quite discombobulated. :confused: :confused: :confused:

...soooo, what were you saying the problem with the term "registered user" was? :na::rofl:

Astro
2nd-June-2007, 03:09 PM
Senior member.. makes me sound like an old fuddy duddy, A bit frayed at the edges and losing the plot. Ok I admit I AM an old fuddy duddy,A bit frayed at the edges and losing the plot. but I don't like to advertise that.

What about junior member then:rofl: . That's even worse.

Mezzosoprano
2nd-June-2007, 07:52 PM
What about junior member then:rofl: . That's even worse.

:rofl: There's a really, really good come back to that... but I'm not brave enough to go there!!!

Astro
4th-June-2007, 02:15 PM
:rofl: There's a really, really good come back to that... but I'm not brave enough to go there!!!

Oh go on Mezzo!:devil:

David Bailey
5th-June-2007, 11:02 AM
Any suggestions?

On another forum i frequent they use Apprentice, Artisan, Aristocrat, Royal Family etc.
Assuming this is Dance-forums, they use:
Title: No. of posts
Just Arrived: 0
New in Town: 3
Commoner: 10
Citizen: 25
Apprentice: 50
Journeyman: 75
Tradesman: 100
Guildsman: 150
Artisan: 200
Bourgeois: 300
Merchant Class: 400
Upper Class: 700
Aristocrat: 1000
Feudal Lord 2000
Royal Guard: 3000
Lord: 4000
Royal Family: 5000
Crowned Royal: 7500
etc. :rolleyes:

Beowulf
5th-June-2007, 03:43 PM
Any suggestions?

Assuming this is Dance-forums, they use:
Title: No. of posts

Lord: 4000

etc. :rolleyes:

Lord Beo of Wulf? hmm has a certain ring to it... :wink:

on one forum I was on they used a simple

Iron
Zinc
Copper
Cobalt
Cadmium
Bronze
Silver
Gold
Platinum

scale..

Or you could go trekkie (http://startrek911.proboards29.com/index.cgi?board=messages&action=display&thread=1158151011&page=1)? :lol:

David Bailey
5th-June-2007, 04:26 PM
Or you could go trekkie (http://startrek911.proboards29.com/index.cgi?board=messages&action=display&thread=1158151011&page=1)? :lol:
Or, we could even leave it as is, seeing as there've been no sensible alternatives proposed. :na:

straycat
5th-June-2007, 04:34 PM
Or, we could even leave it as is, seeing as there've been no sensible alternatives proposed. :na:

And what, pray, is non-sensible about 'Paid-up Move-Challenged Hotshot'? :whistle:

Stuart M
5th-June-2007, 04:48 PM
on one forum I was on they used a simple

Iron
Zinc
Copper
Cobalt
Cadmium
Bronze
Silver
Gold
Platinum

scale..

Cool! I never knew there was a Sapphire and Steel forum out there.

:wink:

David Bailey
5th-June-2007, 04:48 PM
And what, pray, is non-sensible about 'Paid-up Move-Challenged Hotshot'? :whistle:
Too many letters. Obviously. Duh.

And PUMCH doesn't quite work as the acronym. Substitute a suitable "N" word...

Rhythm King
5th-June-2007, 05:32 PM

That's because transuranic, heavy elements may not be used where there is Life... :waycool:

straycat
5th-June-2007, 08:14 PM
Too many letters. Obviously. Duh.

And PUMCH doesn't quite work as the acronym. Substitute a suitable "N" word...

Well - how about I withdraw my membership, and become a Stingy Move-Impaired Commercial Hotshot?

Although Paid Up Move-Impaired Commercial Hotshot pretty much covers all bases...

Beowulf
6th-June-2007, 09:50 AM

That's because transuranic, heavy elements may not be used where there is Life... :waycool:

But all irregularities will be handled by the forces controlling each dimension.

The moderators then...

Gadget
6th-June-2007, 01:36 PM
Why not change it to the same as workshops:
Beginner
Intermediate
and
Advanced
After all, they must have some meaning in the real world... yes? :devil:

David Bailey
6th-June-2007, 02:14 PM
Why not change it to the same as workshops:
Beginner
Intermediate
and
Advanced
After all, they must have some meaning in the real world... yes? :devil:
But then, after 6 posts, you're an intermediate, and then after 12 more posts, you're advanced?

Not much scope for improvement there. So maybe it's a perfect scheme for a Ceroc forum :devil:

"You can learn to post in 6 steps"...

CJ
6th-June-2007, 07:51 PM
But then, after 6 posts, you're an intermediate, and then after 12 more posts, you're advanced?

Not much scope for improvement there. So maybe it's a perfect scheme for a Ceroc forum :devil:

Think how many keyboards would be broken by bouncing hands...:eek:

Gadget
7th-June-2007, 12:47 PM
Think how many keyboards would be broken by bouncing hands...:eek:

's OK; the majority of damage would be in Englandshire - maybe we would see the Scots in the forum a bit more :whistle::devil:

Beowulf
7th-June-2007, 03:02 PM

Don't that idea.. you'll be a little way through a post when suddenly

"move 5 threads on please!" :really: :D

Stuart M
7th-June-2007, 03:58 PM
Don't that idea.. you'll be a little way through a post when suddenly

"move 5 threads on please!" :really: :D

Also, beginner posters will only be allowed to use 4 of the following 12 phrases, in an order decided by the moderators at the start of the day:

Hello! I'm new here...
isn't dancing brilliant!
Ooo, every so often my mind goes blank
I wouldn't have got anywhere if it hadn't been for the taxis
am I wearing the right shoes?
there are some right weird people on this forum
is anyone going to (local party night) this Saturday?
what's Leroc?
I just think (insert random local hotshot's name here) is such a brilliant dancer!
what's the semicircle all about then?
aaarghh! How can I quote someone else's post?
what's a comb?

Beowulf
7th-June-2007, 04:47 PM
:yeah: :rofl:

Don't that idea

Ok.. so how exactly did I manage to completely miss the work LIKE out of that sentence?

:confused: :eek:

straycat
7th-June-2007, 04:59 PM
Ok.. so how exactly did I manage to completely miss the work LIKE out of that sentence?

Perhaps... in a similar manner to the way you managed to misspell the word 'word' in this one? :devil:

Beowulf
8th-June-2007, 12:09 PM
Perhaps... in a similar manner to the way you managed to misspell the word 'word' in this one? :devil:

It's early onset senility I think.. nothing else to explain it :what: :sick:

(checks and double checks and treble checks every word in this sentence)