PDA

View Full Version : Dancing Shoes???....

michael
5th-August-2003, 11:51 AM
:o Since my ceroc dancing addiction seems to be getting worse my soles seem to be wearing away rapidly. Me thinks i better invest in a pair of shoes. I would rather they look as similiar as my existing normal shoes, (nice stylish plain black) dont want people thinking "God after 2 months he thinks he's an expert" when i am just a beginner. So to all you guys out there a few questions.

1. Do they LAST LONGER than normal dress shoes with leather soles.
2. Are they as comfortable and soft as a good quality leather shoes

3. Do they improve your dancing (you know what i mean)

4. WHO has the largest selection and who does the best deal??

if you can help it would be greatly appreciated.

Michael

TheTramp
5th-August-2003, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by michael
4. WHO has the largest selection That'd be Lily then!! :D

Steve

michael
5th-August-2003, 12:11 PM
AH... But surely they are ALL "collectors" items which she would not part with.:wink:

Lou
5th-August-2003, 12:18 PM
:grin: Hey! A thread about shoes!

(btw. Lily's shoes are to die for.....)

I'd always say it's worth getting proper dancing shoes, even as a beginner. It'll help you improve quicker. (But I'm biased & love shoes).

There's a huge selection of different types & styles out there, so I'd advise you to simply go to your local dance shop & chat to the staff there, especially as it's your first pair. Also - think about your style (dancing & dress sense). Some men prefer dance trainers, some more traditional styles. Try some on & see what's comfy! :D

(I think this is easier as a woman, though!)

Kiwi_Tim
5th-August-2003, 01:57 PM
I've been looking at shoes as well (shock horror :what: ), although I already have some black leather ballroom practice shoes with a suede sole that I like to wear (Dance International *I think*). I thought I might go for some of the jazz trainers (or whatever they're called) for the extra cushioning but I wore my ballroom shoes most of saturday and no sore feet - they're nice and soft so more comfortable for the dancefloor (no hard edges to work up a blister on, like with my dress shoes :sad: )

Any blokes with the dance trainers care to share their thoughts on how they feel to dance in??

Tim

p.s. I'm kinda jealous that women get to choose so many different sorts of shoes - luckily I happen to like plain black...:D

Divissima
5th-August-2003, 02:34 PM
Kiwi Tim wrote: Bombs away!
><0000>
><0000>

I like it, but the bombs look like fish (are they stink-bombs?):grin:

Getting back on thread, I think lady-dancers get most of the fun in the shoe-department - although it is probably true that most men might not fancy their chances in narrow three-inch heels with a diamante t-bar anyway. In terms of leather soles vs dance sneakers this crosses the gender divide! :really: It very much depends on your style of dancing which suits you better. Dance sneakers are very comfortable, but they offer more grip which is fine if you don't mind plenty of grip. If you do lots of slides or spins, leather soles are probably more suitable. Suede soles are a good compromise but then you are getting into seriously proper dance shoes - you can keep them as smooth or as rough as you want for the conditions.

Kiwi_Tim
5th-August-2003, 02:41 PM
I like it, but the bombs look like fish (are they stink-bombs?)

If you stuff a fish behind someones radiator, it sure becomes a stink bomb...
But I wasn't thinking of that when I knocked out the bombs using all my best ASCII art skills - maybe I'll have another go?? who knows...

back to dried-cow-for-your-feet:
I like sliding around (even if it is just when I'm coming to a stop by my chair for a drink - me? too much energy? nah...) so maybe I'll skip the trainers :D

Tim

Fish Away!!
>¤o000^^,@>
>¤o000^^,@>

Gadget
5th-August-2003, 03:33 PM
Personally the only problem I have with dress shoes is that the sole wears away quite quickly, then you pay £30 to get proper lether soles on them, and then the upper starts to detach from the sole long before the new sole wears out. :tears:
Probably my fault for buying cheap shoes :blush:. But to echo the origional query, are "Proper" dance shoes better made and less likley to fall appart than dress shoes?

Dance Demon
5th-August-2003, 03:42 PM
I'm on my second pair of Bleyers. The ones I have are black& white, but you can get them in all different colours and styles. they have a composite sole and are very light. I also have a pair of Capezio dance sneakers that I wear for workshops etc or if I am wearing more casual style trousers. They are also very light and comfortable. I haven't tried the suede soled shoes, but it seems they need more looking after & TLC. Leather soles are ok if the leather is reasonably soft & supple but does tend to wear through quite quickly. You could try looking on [URL=www.globaldancestore.com[/URL] for some ideas:cheers:

Heather
5th-August-2003, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Kiwi_Tim
I've been looking at shoes as well (shock horror :what: ),

Any blokes with the dance trainers care to share their thoughts on how they feel to dance in??

Tim

p.s. I'm kinda jealous that women get to choose so many different sorts of shoes - luckily I happen to like plain black...:D

:D :D I don't know about that , Tim, there's at least one man I know with Silver trainers!!!:wink: (Steven the dancing Dundee penguin).

Heather,
:kiss: :hug:

TheTramp
5th-August-2003, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Heather
:D :D I don't know about that , Tim, there's at least one man I know with Silver trainers!!!:wink: (Steven the dancing Dundee penguin). Not to mention yellow and purple trainers too :na:

Steve

Kiwi_Tim
5th-August-2003, 04:13 PM
yellow and purple

wicked...nice going Steve :)

I'll keep an eye out for them next time (although I'll keep the other eye closed for safety in case they are as bright as I think :grin: )

TheTramp
5th-August-2003, 04:15 PM
wicked...nice going Steve :)

I'll keep an eye out for them next time (although I'll keep the other eye closed for safety in case they are as bright as I think :grin: ) Can't have been. I was wearing the purple ones on Saturday for the last class I taught (was wearing my normal trainers up until then, as I didn't have to do any spinning or anything).

Steve

Chris
5th-August-2003, 04:42 PM
My tuppence worth in response to Michael in case it helps (as I know it can be daunting subject, especially to us guys) ...

My current favourite is a pair of split-sole jazz shoes - I think they're Capezio (the name that Dance Demon mentions rings a bell - supposed to be a good brand). I got them reduced at Cambers in May. Before that I wore a pair of black and whites continuously, even when the sole started falling off.

The great thing about the jazz trainers is that the way the sole is made allows you to dance on the ball of your foot much more naturally than in shoes that have a continuous more 'solid' sole. They also give you a degree of cushioning if you do aerials.

The black and whites felt uncomfy when I first started wearing them but quite soon afterwards felt like a second skin. Only thing is - they're great when you've got great footwork but a bit naff if you're still learning in that department and don't want to draw attention to your feet too much. Since I changed to wearing them even for the occasional ceroc I've had lots of nice comments on my footwork - don't know if that's cos the mistakes are less easy to spot or because salsa improves anyone's footwork or whether it's the shoes.

Dance shops sometimes charge a bit more than mail order, dance weekends where there's stalls with shoes on sale, or personal purchase from someone you know, but at least you see what you're getting.

When it comes to women's shoes, I'm sure the ladies can suggest much more relevant considerations . . .:D

Chris
5th-August-2003, 04:50 PM
Overheard in the queue for ladies shoes at Bognor or Cambers can't remember which:

(Male voice:) "Are you going to be much longer???"

To which my (female) dance friend exclaimed:

"Who on earth has brought HIM!!!?"

Errrrrm . . . the moral being . . . a lady and a shoe shop should never be rushed:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Fortunately they get on brilliantly together and have high degrees of tolerance

Kiwi_Tim
5th-August-2003, 04:53 PM
can't have been
d'oh - I'm obviously blind! Especially considering you were kind enough to kick your feet up nice and high where I ought to have seen 'em!!!

frodo
5th-August-2003, 09:18 PM
:o

2. Are they as comfortable ... WHO has the largest selection ...

Michael

A few of thoughts on the subject, though not directly answering the questions.

It can be really helpful to try them at a shop on rather than doing mail order. I have found I need different sizes from the same vendor ( though in different styles).

Dance shoe shops often seem to carry quite a restrictive range, ( for men anyway). In addition they are often mainly ballet shops. It may be preferable to go to a dance event which a dance shoe vendor attends.

As far as the split sole dance sneakers are concerned I find them very comfortable except that when not worn frequently they start to ache after a short time ( because of the split sole bit). I've no idea if this is a common experience.

I am not sure if you are talking about wearing shoes only for dancing, but I would have thought unless they are of very poor quality if they are only worn on the dance floor they should last a decent length of time.

One other thing I noticed with dance shoes as that they may have only a small rim, or no rim at all. That can give you that extra bit of margin against stepping on the ladies foot.

michael
5th-August-2003, 10:12 PM
Thanks Frodo. So thats why i seem to avoid standing on toes. My dress shoes have little rim at all and judging by the other useful comments i might be better to wait and try a pair on. I did notice what looked like a nice pair of soft black leather shoes in one of the web sites. They had leather uppers and soles and look comfortable. I like shoes that feel good and you hardly know you are wearing them. The sneaker types are probably great for jumping about but i would prefer shoes you can wear with trousers as well as denims.

Tiggerbabe
5th-August-2003, 10:33 PM
Especially considering you were kind enough to kick your feet up nice and high where I ought to have seen 'em!!!

Nah! Tim - they were my feet - and my trainers are black :D

Basil Brush (Forum Plant)
5th-August-2003, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by frodo

As far as the split sole dance sneakers are concerned I find them very comfortable except that when not worn frequently they start to ache after a short time ( because of the split sole bit). I've no idea if this is a common experience.

Yes- I got my first pair last month, some grey ones from boogiesteps.com, and they are very uncomfortable! I have gone back to my old black leather ones...... too late to get a refund
:tears:

Kiwi_Tim
6th-August-2003, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by Sheena
Nah! Tim - they were my feet - and my trainers are black :D

yup - your feet definitely went a *lot* higher!! :D

LilyB
6th-August-2003, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by TheTramp
That'd be Lily then!! :D

Steve

CHEEK!!! :eek:

Just ignore him, Michael, and go look at Supadance's website http://www.supadance.com/; also try Freed's http://www.freedoflondon.com/; and check out www.heavenlydanceshoes.com. Have fun shopping - buying shoes is sooooo therapeutic.:D

LilyB

DavidB
6th-August-2003, 01:47 AM
Dance Trainers

I'm on my 4th pair now. I've worn out a pair of Capezios, and a pair of Blochs.

The Capezios are a lot more durable, but the sole gives too much grip. I only wear my new pair at Camber after the varnish has worn off and the floor turns into an ice rink, or at Hove Town Hall.

My first pair of Blochs were the thick air-filled sole ones. They were very comfortable, and did not have too much grip. But the sole was too thick and unstable - especially for aerials.

I now have a pair of the thin-soled ones. I've only worn them a couple of times so far, but they are definitely a lot more stable. They have less grip than the Capezios, but still too much for most floors.

With every pair, I have to use a good quality sports insole. Otherwise the edge of the split sole digs into the arch of my foot, and I can't walk after a couple of dances.

Dance Shoes

I almost always wear a pair of dance loafers I bought in the US. They are very comfortable, have a suede sole, and a padded insole. I also use an extra sports insole to give a bit more support.

For Cabarets I wear Supadance latin shoes. Unfortunately the style I like is no longer made - you have to order them specially from the factory in Buckhurst Hill.

I have about 5 pairs of dance trainers/shoes. That is still 95% less than Lily.

TheTramp
6th-August-2003, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by LilyB
CHEEK!!! :eek: Maybe.

But I notice that you didn't deny it :wink: :na:

Steve

Lou
6th-August-2003, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by LilyB
www.heavenlydanceshoes.com
:grin: I ordered a pair from them a couple of weeks ago. They're quite busy at the moment, so they did warn me there might be a bit of a delay. Once I get them, I'll let you know what they're like.
The best bit is that you get to design them yourself! :nice:

Basil Brush (Forum Plant)
6th-August-2003, 11:47 AM
http://www.heavenlydanceshoes.com/

.... if their delivery is as slow as their website....

need broadband :sad:

azande
6th-August-2003, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Basil Brush
http://www.heavenlydanceshoes.com/

.... if their delivery is as slow as their website....

need broadband :sad:

They need a new website without Flash!

michael
6th-August-2003, 02:22 PM
I thought it was my computer that was slooooooooooow.

It does sound like a female site (hope i am not being sexist here) i mean could you imagine saying to your mate "Just bought a nice pair of shoes.......really where? at Heavenlydanceshoes!!!!!!!

Me thinks the site is probably perfect for the ladies as time stands still when they go shopping ..........
:wink: Thanks anyway Lily B and enjoy your shopping wherever you go Michael:nice:

Stubob
6th-August-2003, 03:55 PM
Global Dance Store offer a good selection of gents shoes, including all the Bleyer shoes. I am about to place an order for Charleston Shoes because they are supposed to be wide fitting. We will see.

https://www.globaldancestore.com

Stuart

Sheepman
6th-August-2003, 03:55 PM
4. WHO has the largest selection
Well I can't compete with Lily, but amongst the men - well I daren't even count them.
My main concern is knees, as mine seem to suffer much more than my feet.
So I carry a minimum of 3 pairs to any dance, even when I know the floor, so that I can get the right level of slip. These include leather soles, suede, jazz shoes (well worn rubber soles), dance trainers, and a few other composite soles. I agree with David B, the trainers are best at Camber, when the floor turns into an ice rink (lovely!) But unlike him, I can happily wear the Bloch split soles with no alterations for the 6 or 7 hours of dancing each night. The cheap Gamba pair of split soles I bought were a waste of time for me, very comfy, but they are just as sticky as running shoes (I will try sticking on sude soles when I get round to it). They are also huge, maybe I don't tread on my partners feet, but I often trip over my own if I'm wearing them! A pair of skis might be easier!

The leather soled shoes are usually fine, but I find the uppers are quite stiff, so sores and blisters are inevitable after a couple of hours.

My absolute favourites are a pair of suede soled dance shoes bought about 3 and 1/2 years ago for £10. They are nearly as soft and lightweight as a pair of ballet shoes, they needed some extra insole padding, but they cope with almost everything. Sadly they won't last much longer, and the firm that made them doesn't exist any more. Where can I get some more? :tears:

I think you have to accept that different things work for different people, so some experimentation is inevitable, which can be tough on the wallet when they are £50 to £60 each.

Greg

Grant
6th-August-2003, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Sheepman

My absolute favourites are a pair of suede soled dance shoes bought about 3 and 1/2 years ago for £10. They are nearly as soft and lightweight as a pair of ballet shoes, they needed some extra insole padding, but they cope with almost everything. Sadly they won't last much longer, and the firm that made them doesn't exist any more. Where can I get some more? :tears:
Greg
I have a pair I bought from the supadance website Lily mentioned earlier. They are very comfortable and lasting well.

Grant

Sheepman
6th-August-2003, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Grant
I have a pair I bought from the supadance website Lily mentioned earlier. They are very comfortable and lasting well.

Thanks, I'll give them a try, though currently I'm not getting very far with that website.

. . . I've had a look there, but as usual can't see anything that looks like what I want, can you quote a model number?

Greg

michael
6th-August-2003, 04:16 PM
We seem to be making good progress here. I hope the shoe makers take note:

1. soft leather uppers (and we mean soft)

2. virtually no rim at edge.

3. non sticky sole suede or leather

4. black (to begin with maybe)

4. Nicely cut (liked the look of theGandolfi 8121???)

5. Expect at least a year of regular dancing (twice a week plus saturdays) before they require replacing.

6. Price: The ones mentioned above are £68.00 if they last two years seems reasonable or am i being ridiculous.

Does the above require amending?

Grant
6th-August-2003, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Sheepman
Thanks, I'll give them a try, though currently I'm not getting very far with that website.

. . . I've had a look there, but as usual can't see anything that looks like what I want, can you quote a model number?

Greg
i see what you mean, the website appears very different from when i last visited it
i'll have another look tomorrow

Grant

Grant
7th-August-2003, 09:06 AM
Sheepy,
the supadance website seems to be working ok for me today. the shoes i have are the men's standard shoes type 5000 with black leather finish (i think patent leather is a bit OTT for ceroc and perhaps not quite as comfortable). these shoes have a low heel rather than the higher latin heels.
they suit me but everyone has different taste (and feet) so you might find a different type is better for you. the good thing about supadance is that if you try them on and don't like them you can send them back.
hope this helps :nice:

Grant

Sheepman
7th-August-2003, 02:55 PM
Grant,
Thanks for that, I've had a look, and they do seem very similar to a pair I already have. The type I'm after are so soft and flexible you could roll them up and put them in your pocket. (Why would you want to do that? !)

Greg